Alonso needs to grow up

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Alonso needs to grow up

World champion Fernando Alonso believes his McLaren team are giving preference to his rookie team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

The Spaniard had misgivings as soon as he joined the team at the end of 2006, he told Spain's Cadena Ser radio.

He said: "From the first moment, I wasn't completely comfortable. I am in an English team, with an English team-mate, who is doing brilliantly.

"We knew all the support and help would go his way. It is something I understand and I'm not complaining."

Alonso added that he remained confident of winning a third straight drivers' title.

The 26-year-old, who won the world title with Renault in 2005 and 2006, is eight points behind Hamilton in the championship following the Englishman's maiden victory in Canada on Sunday.

Alonso finished seventh in Montreal after falling foul - through no fault of his own - of a new rule forbidding drivers to pit in the initial stages of the safety car being deployed.

Although Alonso has won two races to Hamilton's one, Hamilton has been more consistent and has finished on the podium in each of the first six races.

But Alonso insists he has a strong chance of winning a third consecutive world title.

"I've won two races out of six and I've finished on the podium four times and I have those 40 points that will allow me to fight for the title in the end," he said.

"I'm calm, I'm fine, though I know there is some impatience to return to the top and dominate.

"But I'm second in the championship, I'm eight points behind. It would be worse if I were at Renault, or Honda or any other team.

"At the moment I am where I expected to be and with a clear chance of winning the title in Brazil [the last race of the season], and not now, in the sixth race."

Lewis Hamilton passes Fernando Alonso after the Spaniard makes a mistake at the start of the Canadian Grand Prix

Asked if he felt some of the mechanics in the team celebrated Hamilton's successes more than his, Alonso said: "I have sensed it a little, but I understand it, it's an English team."

Alonso's remarks come just over two weeks after he won the Monaco Grand Prix, when McLaren ordered Hamilton not to challenge him in the closing stages of the race.

In the wake of that decision, and before his victory in Canada, Hamilton said he would not stay long at a team he felt was favouring his team-mate.

Alonso has made uncharacteristic mistakes at the start of two of the last three races, but Renault driver Heikki Kovalainen, who worked with Alonso last year, does not believe he is feeling the strain of Hamilton's brilliant debut season.

"He's not feeling the pressure," Kovalainen told BBC Sport.

Fernando might have made two mistakes in a short period of time, but I don't think Hamilton is affecting him

"He pushes very hard for the win every race and mistakes can happen when you race like that.

"Yes, he might have made a mistake in Barcelona and one in Canada, and because they have happened in a short period of time it looks very dramatic, but I don't think it affects him.

"He is going to be very strong, fighting for the championship for sure."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6744297.stm

This guy acts more and more like a spoilt ten year old. Hopefully McLaren will drop him at the end ofthe season, or he'll run away on his own
Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't see anything in there thats childish at all. He's probably right.

And IMO, he'll still end up winning the championship.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
It's funny this topic comes up b/c I was thinking this very thing Sat. nite after quali that Hamilton might be getting favored over Alonso but then I reconciled that w/ the Prost/Senna years when there were two superstar drivers at McLaren and neither got preferential treatment from the team altho Honda may have given some more "love" Senna vs. Alain.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I find it odd that Alonso would wait till Hamilton has won his first race to declare he's been getting preferential treatment from the team. If he did feel that way, why not bring it up earlier? And if he's not complaining about it, and is ok with it, then why make a statement to the press regarding the issue?

In my opinion, he's just pissed that he's not being given his due as a two-time defending champion and is actually having to fight for the championship. His tendency to make mistakes when under pressure is probably not helping his mood.

I do agree with Dom that Alonso is the likeliest champion at this point in the season, though I really hope he doesn't win it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
I found a thread on Autosport (too lazy to go looking for it again) where Alonso sez he's been uncomfortable in the team from moment of his joinder. "British team, British driver" and all that.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Here is a novel idea,......the media interviewing him ASKED HIM some of these questions perhaps.

I really fail to see what the problem is with his comments. Further, if he has said that he has been a bit uncomfortable since starting with the team because english driver blah blah,.....so what. That is a natural reaction in my estimation.

Further still, I would say his mistake at the Canadian GP this past weekend at the start of the race, to a certain degree, had something to do with the fact he cant drive the Merc like he could the Renault off the line on cold tires,.....and different tires this year. Maybe I am the only one who remembers what good starts he could get last season. At the C-GP, he had to go for it to get the race lead otherwise he never would have gotten past lewis. Had that been last year in the Renault,.....he might have MAYBE been able to make it stick I would Suggest,.......but it just wouldnt work this year in that car with those tires. I think its a valid point. Anyway,.....flame away cause I know its coming from someone.

Last edited by West6MT; 06-12-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

My initial post says the same thing, Chief
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
Here is a novel idea,......the media interviewing him ASKED HIM some of these questions perhaps.

I really fail to see what the problem is with his comments. Further, if he has said that he has been a bit uncomfortable since starting with the team because english driver blah blah,.....so what. That is a natural reaction in my estimation.

Further still, I would say his mistake at the Canadian GP this past weekend at the start of the race, to a certain degree, had something to do with the fact he cant drive the Merc like he could the Renault off the line on cold tires,.....and different tires this year. Maybe I am the only one who remembers what good starts he could get last season. At the C-GP, he had to go for it to get the race lead otherwise he never would have gotten past lewis. Had that been last year in the Renault,.....he might have MAYBE been able to make it stick I would Suggest,.......but it just wouldnt work this year in that car with those tires. I think its a valid point. Anyway,.....flame away cause I know its coming from someone.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless of if he was asked or not, those are comments he should not have made. It would be insane for Mclaren to show preferential treatment to Hamilton at this stage in the game. Mclaren has always had a good car but this year that car is 10 times better than the car Kimi drove 2 years ago. Some credit for that has to go to Alonso for his input during development. With that said, he is jealous of Lewis. Look at all the press Lewis gets. If Mclaren was showing preference the result in Monaco would have been a lot different. Maybe Lewis would have challenged and eventually passed Alonso or worse case crashed and take both cars out. Like Uzzmaan said Alonso needs to grow up. Look at the comments made when Shumi finally returned to F1 about taking the spotlight.... Grow up...