Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…
View Poll Results: Opinion on "Peak Oil" Theories...
I don't know, need to do more research
9.09%
High energy prices will self correct and we'll see fresh lows
18.18%
The era of cheap fossil fuels is over and we're staring at the abyss
64.77%
I don't give a fuzz, my next car will be a gas guzzling SUV
7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Your opinion on "Peak Oil" Theory

Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
The oil industry has been on a hot streak this year, thanks to a series of major discoveries that have rekindled a sense of excitement across the petroleum sector, despite falling prices and a tough economy.

These discoveries, spanning five continents, are the result of hefty investments that began earlier in the decade when oil prices rose, and of new technologies that allow explorers to drill at greater depths and break tougher rocks.

“That’s the wonderful thing about price signals in a free market — it puts people in a better position to take more exploration risk,” said James T. Hackett, chairman and chief executive of Anadarko Petroleum.

More than 200 discoveries have been reported so far this year in dozens of countries, including northern Iraq’s Kurdish region, Australia, Israel, Iran, Brazil, Norway, Ghana and Russia. They have been made by international giants, like Exxon Mobil, but also by industry minnows, like Tullow Oil.

Just this month, BP said that it found a giant deepwater field that might turn out to be the biggest oil discovery ever in the Gulf of Mexico, while Anadarko announced a large find in an “exciting and highly prospective” region off Sierra Leone.

It is normal for companies to discover billions of barrels of new oil every year, but this year’s pace is unusually brisk. New oil discoveries have totaled about 10 billion barrels in the first half of the year, according to IHS Cambridge Energy Research Associates. If discoveries continue at that pace through year-end, they are likely to reach the highest level since 2000.

While recent years have featured speculation about a coming peak and subsequent decline in oil production, people in the industry say there is still plenty of oil in the ground, especially beneath the ocean floor, even if finding and extracting it is becoming harder. They say that prices and the pace of technological improvement remain the principal factors governing oil production capacity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/bu...ent/24oil.html
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Names redacted, read in reverse order

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:02 AM
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: Peak oil is wrong, says Peter Schwartz

I think you are mistaking my general viewpoint with having a strong opinion. I could care less if oil is at $50 or $500 per barrel, it doesn't affect my standard of living either. Just saying that the "peak oil" argument is that the easy, cheap oil has already been found. Look at the major oil fields in decline, North Sea, Cantarell, etc. This is why churning up tons of sand in Saskatchewan, burning up natural gas and destroying the environment for a few extra barrels of oil makes economic sense. No question that technology will advance oil extraction capabilities, just that it will get harder and more expensive to get out of the earth 3 miles deep. Also, the current trend toward electric/hybrid technology will not outpace Chinas ability to consume at a faster rate than the West can modify their behavior. Go to China, see for yourself - I have.

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:46 AM
To: Fibonacci

I think it is funny how two people argue about a certain point “peak oil theory” and have different definitions of what they are arguing about.
I don’t know about you, but my standard of living did not go down dramatically when oil jumped up to $120 per barrel last year. I just adjusted how I drove and consumed. Also, your buddy should consider that technology is evolving which has reduced the consumption of oil (hybrid vehicles, alternative energy, natural gas vehicles, etc.) when he states “At $125 a barrel, we're spending 1/4 of our GDP on energy.” If you pay attention to the Frankfurt Auto Show, there was a very strong shift to these types of vehicles…even more so then a few years ago.
I have no opinion either way, but I do like to look at the whole picture when I form such a strong opinion.

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:33 AM
To: XXXXXXXXX

Read the commentary below:
He implies that peak oil advocates say that we're simply "running out of oil" and we don't understand that the oil we are going to be mining now (which we have a lot of) is going to be costlier. This is such a stupid, intentional misrepresentation of the position of many advocates of the peak oil concept it is simply infuriating.
Peak Oil has never been about supply (although quality of supply is a factor), it has always been about flow rate. Peak oil is about whether or not we can maintain the current, expected level of oil production at current costs and if not, what the ramifications for that are.
More expensive oil means that we're spending more of our GDP on energy which means a lower quality of life across the board. Someone has to suffer, likely a lot of people have to make major sacrifices. At $125 a barrel, we're spending 1/4 of our GDP on energy. If this Brazilian oil that he's talking about is that expensive or approaching that level of expense, is that something that we can maintain with our present economy? I don't think it's very likely and as a result many dependent sectors of the economy will suffer - like food production and manufacturing.

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:08 AM
To: Fibonacci
Subject: Peak oil is wrong, says Peter Schwartz

http://www.cleantech.com/news/4545/schwartz-peak-oil
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Peak Oil has never been about supply (although quality of supply is a factor), it has always been about flow rate. Peak oil is about whether or not we can maintain the current, expected level of oil production at current costs and if not, what the ramifications for that are.

When you hear people talk about "peak oil" it is most often about supply. They will site the declining fields in Saudi Arabia or Mexico as examples of the world running out of oil. Which is in turn directly related to production.

You sound like you are describing any other commodity where demand is increasing. For example, I don't hear people talking about "peak copper".

Today is not much different that the 1890's when the worlds greatest minds thought that world oil production had "peaked". Back then drilling more than 300 feet was an impossibility and therefore we couldn't get any more oil. But as has been shown time and again over the ensuing decades, a combination of technology and free markets have allowed us to get to new and more difficult fields that we thought to be impossible to get to and prices have stayed fairly flat over the 20th century. I fail to see why today is any different, as slant drilling, better geo-imaging, etc... will continue to let us get at oil that was never possible before.

And I think one thing the last few years have shown is that the world can absorb more costs for energy as we are paying as a percentage of GDP about half as much for energy as we did 30 years ago. And $100+ oil does not equal armageddon.

I remember a "fact" I was told in college that every $10 rise in oil equates to a 1% drop in GDP. I think we now know that to be false...

At $125 a barrel, we're spending 1/4 of our GDP on energy.

I hadn't heard that figure, do you have a link?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Silver™
You sound like you are describing any other commodity where demand is increasing. For example, I don't hear people talking about "peak copper".
Thats because most metals can be recycled/reused. Fossil fuels cannot.

I hadn't heard that figure, do you have a link?
That wasn't my quote, that was commentary in the original link if you tab down.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I feel the need...

Oil strikes not enough to quench demand

A flurry of big oil discoveries from Brazil to Sierra Leone undermines those who believe that there are no new oil frontiers to explore but the finds may not be enough to ward off a supply crunch as the world economy recovers.

Anadarko, the US company, announced this week that it had found a whole new oil basin stretching 1,100km from the coast of Ghana to Sierra Leone. That came on the heels of a big find in Brazil, one of the world’s most important future oil exporters. The Brazilian find, which was made by Petrobras and BG, came shortly after BP announced that it had discovered oil in a layer of very deep rock in the Gulf of Mexico, establishing a new geological oil zone.

In the new west African basin, Tullow, Anadarko’s UK-listed partner, believes it could find several new oil fields to match the size of its Jubilee field in Ghana, believed to hold 1.8bn barrels of oil, the continent’s largest offshore field. BP says it believes the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico could hold 50bn, rather than 30bn, barrels. Edison Lobăo, Brazilian energy minister, told Brazil’s Congress this week that the country’s oil reserves beneath large offshore salt formations could hold 50bn-80bn barrels of oil and natural gas, allowing Brazil to double its output to 3.8m barrels a day within a decade.

Each of the discoveries is important for the companies and countries involved. BP and BG saw their shares jump 4 per cent on the discoveries, while Tullow, which is smaller, enjoyed an 11 per cent gain after it announced its west African success. They all show that high oil prices can help spur the development of new technology and the willingness of oil companies to drill wells that may only have small chances of success.

Are these new discoveries big enough to delay or even avoid the supply crunch that oil executives, leaders of the Group of Eight rich countries and Opec, the oil cartel, all warn could befall the world as it attempts to recover from its worst recession in decades?

In the near-term, the answer is probably not.....
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a0c7be74-a...nclick_check=1
Old 10-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thats because most metals can be recycled/reused. Fossil fuels cannot.

Recycling can't come close to keeping up with global demand.

Isn't that the reason commodities have been going up in recent years? As 5 years ago it was about $1.20/lb and its now 3 times the price.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I feel the need...

Recycling can't come close to keeping up with global demand.
Recycling/reuse, substitution, innovation, new sourcing - its a mixed bag.

Isn't that the reason commodities have been going up in recent years? As 5 years ago it was about $1.20/lb and its now 3 times the price.
A large reason for the upward move in commodities in recent years is because investors have been seeking them out as an asset class. Pension funds, Endowments, ETF investors, etc. all looking for a hedge.... That plus the undeveloped world rapidly wanting to acquire American lifestyles: seems like Hummers, McMansions, Super Size Value Meals, Tom Cruise and Cruise Missiles are universally desired around teh globe.

As for your $1.20/lb ~ not sure exactly what you are referring to.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I feel the need...

Asian Catalyst Spurs Oil's Renewed Advance

The International Energy Agency in Paris this month raised its forecast for world oil demand next year for a fourth consecutive month. One of the main reasons cited was stronger than expected economic growth in Asia.

A year ago, Asian exports were falling off a cliff, and economists were predicting the worst recession in 50 years. But the winds have turned quickly and Asia now appears to be experiencing its fastest recovery in 50 years. This is already affecting oil prices and will do so even more in coming months.

Just as Asian demand drove oil prices up in the boom years, a new wave of Asian demand will probably push prices higher again, economists say.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/bu...20renasia.html
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Wealth Building
Shoaib Vayej|20 October 2009 13:28

Oil: "Black Gold" or "Fools Gold"?

Shoaib Vayej argues the oil price will retrace in the medium term.
While it can be conceded that forecasting the price of oil will always remain challenging, several indicators and trends are leading us to believe that the price of this ‘black gold' could well retrace in the medium term. Thus any investor chasing the stratospheric highs reached temporarily last year may well find only "fool's gold" instead.

The oil price is closely watched because it impacts everyone, yet it remains one of the most difficult economic variables to predict. The price chart reflects the proverbial rollercoaster, with oil driven from lows of $10/bbl in 1998 to a peak 10 years later of over $140/bbl, and then crashing back below $40/bbl in the midst of the economic crisis. Prices have since recovered to over $70/bbl.

With these wild swings in price, pity the oil analyst whose only certainty is uncertainty. Future price expectations currently exceed $80/bbl. However, such forecasts reflect an extrapolation of recent trends; implying that oil would be half as affordable as it has been historically into perpetuity. Current price levels ignore fundamentals and I expect a retracement in the price over the medium term.

The persistent rise in prices that has defined the past decade is a symptom of investment lagging above-trend economic growth, exaggerated by speculative demand. This rising trend has past its zenith, with the downturn partly triggered by an economic crisis, but predominantly due to a delayed step change in fuel efficiency and the coincident restoration of upstream capacity.

Oil is a dense, convenient form of energy, an essential ingredient of the modern economy. Testimony to its importance is the value spent globally on oil, around 3% of global Gross Domestic Product (GDP) on a trend basis. While there are substitutes for oil, these must be traded against their lower energy density and inconvenience. The key linkage therefore is price. By implication if oil ceases to be cheap, at least in a relative sense, its attractiveness is diminished.

Oil cycles tend to be resilient because both supply and demand are inelastic - at least in the short term. With a lead time between discovering oil and producing of just less than a decade, many of the projects we see coming to fruition today were conceived in an environment of sub-$30/bbl oil! Further, usage of oil is so prevalent in modern society that entire manufacturing and infrastructure systems are built to deliver it. The initial response to increased prices is thrift, with secular changes only possible once there is widespread belief that these high prices are sustainable and there is regulatory intervention.

Oil usage is inherently inefficient, especially in transport fuel applications, which account for more than half of global oil demand. Only around 13% of the contained energy in petrol is used to cover the tractive load of a vehicle! While it is impossible to design a perfectly efficient engine, this demonstrates the scale of opportunity in improving efficiency. Oil intensity relative to GDP has declined consistently by around 1.8% a year. Following the two oil crises in the 1970's, oil intensity experienced a step-change relative to GDP. Efficiency gains averaged 5% a year. When affordability reached an extreme 7% of global GDP (see chart). This pattern seems to be repeating, with efficiency gains over the last three years double the trend level.

Over and above the actions of individual consumers, governments have sought to promote efficiency due to environmental concerns and energy security. In the US, the largest oil consumer, we have seen the upward revision in Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency (CAFE) targets under the last two administrations.

The remaining engines of growth are China and the Middle East. China's high income growth and distorted pricing regime resulted in affordability improving, despite record prices! However, the outlook is dampened by a moderation in income growth and fuel price liberalisation. The Middle East demand pattern is pro-cyclical, reflecting high income growth linked directly to oil prices.

Conservation efforts are imperative because oil reserves are finite. We started running out of oil when we started using it, as demand has exceeded the rate of geological formation. ‘Peak oil' theorists believe the diminishing rate of oil discoveries implies peak production is near - or has already been reached. However, the ratio of cumulative production to the estimate of the natural endowment has remained constant at 30%, implying that the rate of resource discovery has so far kept pace with exponential production growth. This is also supported by the reserve-to-production ratio that has remained relatively stable at 40 years.

OPEC's dominant supply position is undisputed, with a 40% share of production and three quarters of reserves. However, its ability to control prices is grossly overstated. OPEC constitutes around 13 countries, of varied geographic location and political persuasion, all heavily reliant on oil revenues. Historically cohesion among OPEC countries has been poor. Discipline is required in desperate times, but is often found wanting in terms of "game theory": seeking to maximise your own volume without jeopardizing the price. In fact, OPEC has only recently restored the absolute level of production to the levels it enjoyed towards the end of the 1970's, a severe hangover from the record prices of that era.

OPEC cannot time investments to match demand. Instead OPEC is relegated to managing inventories, by maintaining an adequate cushion of capacity and by ensuring production restraint. Despite OPEC's frequent statements on "desired price" levels, a simple observation of the price chart reveals that no one is in control of the market. Analysts often point to the oil price level required to balance OPEC countries' budgets, but the cyclicality in their spending suggests that the causality runs the opposite way.

Meanwhile, the current state of oil markets resembles the supply glut leading up to 1998. Spare capacity is twice normal levels on an absolute and proportional basis. OECD inventories exceed 60 days of demand cover, above the normal 55 days cover. OPEC, emboldened by the improvement in price, continues adding to inventories, despite the apparent slack in these variables. OPEC is producing above its quota by approximately 1million barrels per day (mbpd) and that quota is currently 0.5mbpd above the "call on OPEC" production. This makes the implied growth in global inventories an alarming 1.5mbpd!

Consensus forecasts seem conservative in the context of the recent peak above $140/bbl. However, the three-year moving average in the oil price peaked at $80/bbl, meaning that high prices were never sustained for any meaningful length of time.

*Shoiab Vayej is equity analyst and portfolio manager at Sanlam Investment Management.

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw...age&pid=287226
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I feel the need...

Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure, says whistleblower

Exclusive: Watchdog's estimates of reserves inflated says top official

The world is much closer to running out of oil than official estimates admit, according to a whistleblower at the International Energy Agency who claims it has been deliberately underplaying a looming shortage for fear of triggering panic buying.

The senior official claims the US has played an influential role in encouraging the watchdog to underplay the rate of decline from existing oil fields while overplaying the chances of finding new reserves.

The allegations raise serious questions about the accuracy of the organisation's latest World Energy Outlook on oil demand and supply to be published tomorrow – which is used by the British and many other governments to help guide their wider energy and climate change policies.....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-energy-agency
Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

...the US has played an influential role in encouraging the watchdog to underplay the rate of decline from existing oil fields while overplaying the chances of finding new reserves.

What is the motivation of the US to do so?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I feel the need...

So teh sheeple keep on truckin and supersizin'!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:00 AM
I feel the need...

Crisis averted?

The drop in oil demand due to the world economic downturn, and recent oil exploration successes in Brazil, the US and west Africa, may have allayed fears that the world is running out of oil, but prices could rise once again as the economy recovers and demand outstrips supply.

That is exactly what happened in the summer of 2008, when oil prices surged to records of $147 a barrel as oil producers pumped as much oil as they could, but still failed to quench the thirst of the growing Chinese economy.

Despite the recent drop in demand, Christophe de Margerie, chief executive of Total, the French energy group, warns of more upheaval. “We are running the risk of another oil crisis when demand outstrips supply around 2014 or 2015,” he told Le Parisien newspaper in September.....
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f9267d88-c...44feab49a.html
Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 AM
I feel the need...

A developing thirst

How demand for oil will change by 2030

GLOBAL demand for oil is set to rise from 84.7m barrels per day (bpd) in 2008 to 105m bpd in 2030, says the International Energy Agency in its latest annual energy report. Transport will account for 97% of this increase as rising numbers of cars hit the roads of the developing world. Demand from these countries will overtake that of the industrialised OECD nations by 2030. By then, America, Japan and Europe will be using less oil than in 1980. But the thirst for oil will balloon in Asia—and in India and China in particular—where demand is predicted to rise by as much as 400% compared with 2008.
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/...90202&fsrc=nwl
Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I used to work for a foremost researcher in the field and the supply is truly dwindling.. most of us will see the result before the end of our generation.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Because, the US would by far have the farthest to fall if the info in that article became too widely believed in the marketplace. The price would go through the roof instantly and panic would set in. IDK the exact figure from memory, but the US uses some obscenely larger percentage of the world's oil so we can play cars all day. We don't even come close to supporting our use though domestic production.

At 83 million barrels a day worldwide, that's over 30 billion barrels a year. The total oil in the ground has been estimated at 2 trillion barrels, of which roughly half has been used already according to estimates. Assuming that, it would take roughly 30 years to burn through 1 trillion barrels, but remember of course demand is continuing to increase, so speed that up a little bit. Then of course remember you're not going to get every last drop out of the ground, so move that time frame up ever further. It doesn't replenish itself (well, technically it might, but it would take millenia to do so), so throw that junk science out the window.

So yeah, of course we're running out. What exactly will happen and when is anyone's guess. We've never had to contend with a shrinking supply of energy in the modern age, so it will be totally uncharted territory.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Because, the US would by far have the farthest to fall if the info in that article became too widely believed in the marketplace. The price would go through the roof instantly and panic would set in. IDK the exact figure from memory, but the US uses some obscenely larger percentage of the world's oil so we can play cars all day. We don't even come close to supporting our use though domestic production.

So it's a giant conspiracy whose goal is to fool the American people until one day we wake up to an economic catastrophe of running our of oil?

And the markets are driven by the here and now, not possible disruptions years ahead, so I fail to see how we would fall "far" if the government admitted we were running out of oil.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Not many people think of the Netherlands as oil country, but a billion-barrel field lies under a nine-mile strip of grazing land along the Dutch-German border. When oil prices cratered in the 1990s, Royal Dutch Shell and ExxonMobil shut the Schoonebeek field down. Company executives reckoned that its thick, hard-to-extract crude wasn't worth the trouble, even though only about 25 percent of Schoonebeek's oil had been produced. The main evidence of the town's petroleum past was an old-fashioned bobbing oil pump, known as a nodding donkey, which still stands in a parking lot near a bakery.

Now higher prices and technological advances are spurring a new joint venture of Shell, Exxon, and the Dutch government to pump Schoonebeek's reserves once more. New wells drilled horizontally are coming in contact with more of the oil. Steam injected into the rock loosens up its molasses-like crude so it can be brought to the surface more easily. Shell won't say what price it needs to make such efforts profitable, but experts estimate $40 to $50 per barrel will do. At a current price of $80, the field is a clear winner. "We wouldn't do this if the price was really low," says Michael Lander, the Shell executive running the project. The venture is expected to produce 120 million barrels from the reopened western section of Schoonebeek over 20 years. If another section of the field is developed, the recovery rate — the share of oil that gets pumped out — would approach 50 percent. The industry average is 30 percent to 35 percent.

Pressure to innovate
Schoonebeek will not flood the world with crude. But its success presents a stiff challenge to those who argue that oil production is in irreversible decline. Consumer demand, technology, and global politics are shifting in a way that could spell a future of oil abundance, not of catastrophic dearth. As Leonardo Maugeri, a senior executive at Italian oil major ENI, puts it: "There will be enough oil for at least 100 years."

Many analysts and industry executives have little doubt that there's plenty of oil in the ground. "Only about 32 percent of the oil [in reserves] is produced," says Val Brock, Shell's head of business development for enhanced oil recovery. Shell estimates 300 billion barrels and maybe more might be squeezed out of existing fields, much of it once thought beyond retrieval. Peter Jackson, IHS Cambridge Energy Research Associates' London-based senior director for oil industry activity, has reviewed data from the world's biggest fields. His conclusion: 60 percent of their reserves remain available.

The fact that there's still oil for the taking is driving Shell and other majors to come up with new technologies, which are expensive to develop but worth it when crude is riding high. While the price has fallen considerably from the peak of $147 per barrel in 2008, it is still far above what many oilmen expected a few years ago. "You will see companies going into the deep water, going into the arctic, using the best technology," says Maugeri, who sees the oil industry as a dynamic system that responds rapidly to changes in the economic and political environment.

Even if the new technologies add just a few percentage points to the recovery rate, such gains add years to global supply and boost the industry's profits. So the technology of coaxing oil out of the ground is constantly improving. Heating up heavy oil, as at Schoonebeek, is one new trick. Companies can add heavy polymers to the water they blast into a production site to push more oil out; the polymers add weight to the water and increase the pressure on deposits. (Shell is trying such technology on the Marmul field in Oman.) Another tactic is to inject soap into the ground to break the surface tension that makes leftover oil cling to the rock.

Simple methods can help mature oil fields produce more and even uncover bigger reserves than imagined. A study of fields in Indonesia by IHS CERA found that it wasn't uncommon for them to produce more than double initial estimates. Petroleum engineers help the fields live longer just by drilling new wells or installing better pumps. "As a field ages, the operators learn more ... that allows them to tweak their operations," explains Leta K. Smith, a Houston-based analyst for IHS CERA.

Sharp falls in production can be arrested. Output at Samotlor, Russia's largest field, was plummeting in the late 1990s. The field's owner, TNK-BP, formed in 2003, has since managed to boost production by a third. Adjusting the placement of the pumps in the wells yielded big gains, while three-dimensional seismic technology gave a better glimpse of the oil-bearing structures under the ground.

Iraq's wild card
Pumping the oil that's already discovered isn't the whole story. Explorers, sometimes financed by hedge funds and private equity firms, are finding troves in the deep water off Brazil, West Africa, and even the U.S. At the same time, old and new oil powers — Russia, Brazil, Angola, Nigeria, and Kazakhstan — are ramping up their capacity with the aid of Total, ExxonMobil, BP, and other majors. These projects could eventually add 5 million barrels to global daily output.

The most surprising action is unfolding in Iraq, which has just cut deals with ExxonMobil, BP, and Shell as well as with Chinese and Russian companies. If all these ventures meet their targets, Iraq could produce as much as 12 million barrels a day, putting it in the super league with Saudi Arabia and Russia. Given the political and logistical obstacles Iraq faces, that seems unrealistic anytime soon. But 6 million barrels a day seems attainable within 10 to 15 years. That level would turn Iraq into OPEC's No. 2 producer after Saudi Arabia.

Moderating global demand can also stretch the supply of crude. After the oil shocks of the 1970s, efficiency gains and a switch by factories to natural gas prompted a nearly 10 percent drop in global oil consumption in the early 1980s.

The price spike of 2008 may lead to similar results. Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute in Washington, an environmental group, notes that the U.S. car fleet shrank by 4 million in 2009, thanks to scrapping and reduced sales. He expects that shrinkage to continue, reducing the U.S. fleet by 25 million cars by 2020. He also sees a cultural change occurring in which more people, especially the young, don't see owning a car as a necessity. "We are now looking at something new, a shift in the way people think about automobiles," he says. "That means less oil use."

U.S. oil consumption dropped by 9 percent over the last two years. The recession certainly hurt demand, but many analysts think oil use in the West has peaked and will not rebound to previous levels. The Energy Dept. sees the consumption of oil-based fuel in the U.S. flattening out in the coming decades. "Are people going to use energy differently in the next [growth] phase?" asks Goran Trapp, head of global oil trading at Morgan Stanley in London. "If so, the people forecasting [strong] demand increases are going to be surprised."

China is one key to answering Trapp's question. Even as the mainland devours oil and coal, the government is pursuing a green agenda. China has the world's top solar panel industry, a power plant in Beijing is one of the world's most efficient, and auto emission standards there are now tougher than those in the U.S. China's official policy mandates that alternate sources support 15 percent of the country's energy needs by 2020, up from 9 percent now. So China's petroleum consumption will keep increasing, but perhaps at not so steep a rate as expected. A nasty oil shock is always possible. But the case for bountiful oil is strong.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34770285...il_and_energy/
Old 01-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The star of the show by far was Aramco’s Al Falih. He believes the “peak oil” debate is dead, though it caused damage in the form of price increases and volatility. He said Saudi Arabia has 4 million barrels per day of idle oil capacity at the moment and that the country continued to invest in its fields through the recession, adding 2 million barrels of capacity last year despite the global decline in demand. His beef is that though Saudi Arabia continues to invest in production, “we don’t see reciprocal assurances from customers, by which I mean policymakers, to signal to us a long-term commitment.”

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....azines_fortune
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I feel the need...

Beyond the black stuff

Big Oil is being forced to rethink its future

ON THE face of it the world’s big and publicly quoted oil companies should be celebrating some pleasing results this week. Royal Dutch Shell unveiled its results on Thursday February 4th, reporting that it had made $9.8 billion in 2009. Two days earlier BP boasted profits of $14 billion for the same year. Yet these billions are a disappointment compared with the bonanza of previous years (Shell, for example, raked in $31.4 billion in 2008 alone) when soaring oil prices pulled profits ever higher.

In the long term, however, the firms’ success depends on sustaining reserves. The big western oil companies are trying to expand through acquisitions and investment, but the opportunities do so are becoming scarcer. The firms are spending where they can. Exxon Mobil, the biggest listed oil company, says that exploration and capital spending hit $27.1 billion in 2009, 4% higher than in 2008. The company expects to spend $25 billion to $30 billion annually to the same end over the next five years. BP intends to spend some $20 billion this year on investment in new projects and drilling, roughly the same level as last year.

But there are limits to what money can buy. State-controlled rivals—in the Middle East, Russia and beyond—jealously guard oil reserves on their home patches. Few new big fields of oil, at least those that are easy to reach and cheap to exploit, have been discovered in recent years.....
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/...73681&fsrc=nwl
Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I feel the need...

Well drilled

Offshore oil platforms operate at ever-greater depths

BP, A big British oil company, announced a round of efficiency measures and cost cuts on Tuesday March 2nd aimed at increasing annual profits by $3 billion over the next few of years. But BP and the world's other big oil companies face similar problems when it comes to boosting profits. Few big new oil fields that are easy to reach and cheap to exploit have been discovered in recent years. This has driven firms to seek oil ever deeper below the sea. In 1947, Kerr-McGee built the world’s first offshore oil well that was completely out of sight of land, drilling 4.6 metres into the seabed off the coast of Louisiana. This year Shell's 22,000-tonne Perdido rig is set to begin operation. Standing nearly as tall as the Eiffel Tower, it is chained to the seabed 2.4km metres below and is capable of extracting oil at a maximum depth of 2.9km.
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/...02848&fsrc=nwl
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
12:09 into this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPI-Y1ac7I
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I feel the need...

Matthew Simmons Showed the Supply of Oil Is Finite

The late Matthew R. Simmons’ greatest contribution was showing that the supply of oil is finite, said Edward Morse, the New York-based head of commodities research at Credit Suisse Group AG.

Simmons, an energy investment banker and leading proponent of the “peak oil” theory that claims the Earth is running out of crude, died Aug. 8 at 67 in an accidental drowning at his home in North Haven, Maine, local officials said. He made “remarkable contributions” in making the energy market transparent and helping the U.S. understand Saudi Arabia, Morse said.

“Perhaps the most important thing he drew attention to was the nature of decline,” Morse said in a radio interview today with Tom Keene on “Bloomberg Surveillance.” “Decline curves are real and they have to be dealt with and it’s an issue of policy as much as it is of investment......”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...tom-keene.html

MS
Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
The price of a barrel of oil would be closer to $10 if the commodity wasn't traded as an investment instrument, given the record-high levels of U.S. oil inventories, Peter Beutel, president of Cameron Hanover, told CNBC Monday.

"I honestly think that if there were no investors using oil as an asset that the price of oil right now would be $10 or $15 or $18, but it wouldn't be anywhere near where it is," Beutel said.

"We have so much oil right now, more than we've had in 27 years. Why is it 27 years? Because that's how far our records go back. It's probably the most in 50 or 100 years," he added.

Part of the reason the price of oil is currently above $74 a barrel is because of a belief in the economic recovery, Beutel said.

Comments by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke over the weekend gave the commodity a boost as he signalled a willingness to support the fragile economic recovery with additional policy measures.

From a historical perspective, Beutel pointed out that the current level of inventories is even higher than when the price of oil was below $20 a barrel.

"We've got 50 million barrels of crude more than we had two years ago. We have 176 million of distillate," Beutel said. "When I started in the business back in 1980 we used to think to ourselves: "Gee, we would love it if we had 140 million barrels of distillates to start the winter."

Not all market watchers agree that the price of oil should or will go lower. Jonathan Barratt, managing director at Commodity Broking Services, told CNBC that he thinks oil will rise to between $82 and $85 a barrel.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38915139
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by mrsteve
The price of a barrel of oil would be closer to $10 if the commodity wasn't traded as an investment instrument, given the record-high levels of U.S. oil inventories, Peter Beutel, president of Cameron Hanover, told CNBC Monday.
The price of _______ would be closer to $___.__ if ________ wasn't traded as an investment instrument.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM
I feel the need...

Risk-Taking Rises as Oil Rigs in Gulf Drill Deeper

In a remote reach of the Gulf of Mexico, nearly 200 miles from shore, a floating oil platform thrusts its tentacles deep into the ocean like a giant steel octopus.

The $3 billion rig, called Perdido, can pump oil from dozens of wells nearly two miles under the sea while simultaneously drilling new ones. It is part of a wave of ultra-deep platforms — all far more sophisticated than the rig that was used to drill the ill-fated BP well that blew up in April. These platforms have sprung up far from shore and have pushed the frontiers of technology in the gulf, a region that now accounts for a quarter of the nation’s oil output.

Major offshore accidents are not common. But whether through equipment failure or human error, the risks increase as the rigs get larger and more complicated.

Yet even as regulators investigate the causes of the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the broader dangers posed by the industry’s push into deeper waters have gone largely unscrutinized.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/bu...nt/30deep.html
Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I feel the need...

Oil will run out 90 years before alternatives are widely available, UC Davis study sa

The global oil supply is set to run dry 90 years before replacements such as renewable energy are ready to satisfy the same amount of demand, according to UC Davis researchers.

Current policies that set targets for batteries, hydrogen, biofuel and other alternative energy sources won’t be enough, a study published Monday says.

Deb Niemeier, a professor of civil and environmental engineering, and postdoctoral researcher Nataliya Malyshkina examined existing public companies dealing in non-oil fuels such as BlueFire Ethanol Inc. of Irvine and Enova Systems Inc. of Torrance.

The technologies in the market “may not be able to occupy a sufficient enough niche in the market by the time we need them to,” Niemeier said in an e-mail.

The pair looked at activity from long-term investors as a predictor of whether and when the burgeoning technologies would go mainstream. They also considered the value and dividends of public companies in both the oil and alternative energy markets.

There are many predictions of when oil could run out, but also many, many factors that could feed into a timeline for depletion,” Niemeier wrote. “For example, whether consumption patterns stay at the level, whether new [oil] fields are found, how much technology improves for harvesting less accessible or economic fields now, and so forth.”

The research appeared in the journal Environmental Science and Technology.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ble-study.html
Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
There's always a LOT of natural gas, a very simple conversion process compared to the alternatives
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Last year was a really good year for new oil discoveries, there were at least 14 major oil discoveries in Brazil alone totaling 13.5 to 26.7 billion barrels.

In addition, there were more than 30 billion barrels discovered in other parts of the world in 2010, including Iran, Russia, Norway (more), Mexico, Ghana, Iraq, U.S. (Texas, ND and Montana and Colorado), Falkland Islands, U.K., Angola (more) and Oman, bringing the total of new recoverable oil discoveries in 2010 to around 50 billion barrels. Brazil was the clear leader in 2010, with the oil found there representing up to half of all new global oil discoveries in 2010. With oil now selling now at close to $90 per barrel, we can expect even more discoveries in 2011.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/01/...r-new-oil.html
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM
I feel the need...

^^ Quite fond of your recent trend of bumping my threads, like the cream of the crop, I rise to the top...

6 Comments:

At 1/08/2011 11:42 AM, Junkyard_hawg1985 said...
Last year we consumed around 86 million barrels of oil per day which calculates to around 31 billion barrels per year. If we discovered 50 billion barrels last year, it looks like we may have to postpone peak oil for yet another year.
Delay just a year as we go deeper and deeper!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I feel the need...

Welcome, "Peak Oil"

The day of reckoning is approaching and the world does not have a contingency plan.

The truth is that the world’s output of conventional crude oil peaked in 2005 and global oil exports are also past their prime. Furthermore, the unconventional sources (tar sands, heavy sour crude, ethanol, natural gas liquids, bio-fuels and shale) are struggling to keep up with the ongoing depletion in the world’s largest oil fields. Therefore, it is probable that the world’s current production of total liquids is at or near maximum capacity.

Veteran clients and subscribers will recall that we have been extremely concerned about ‘Peak Oil’. However, for many years, ours was one of the lone voices in the dark. It is interesting to observe that up until 2007, various government sponsored energy agencies were extremely optimistic about their oil production forecasts. In fact, before it commissioned its first field by field analysis in 2008, the IEA used to claim that the world could easily produce over 110 million barrels of total liquids per day! Ironically, other agencies such as CERA and the EIA were even more liberal with their oil production projections and ‘Peak Oil’ was dismissed as a lunacy.....
http://www.investmentpostcards.com/2...m+Cape+Town%29
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I feel the need...

Whatever Happens in Egypt, Oil Will Hit $300 by 2020

Regardless of what path Egypt now follows, a leading analyst says the price of oil is headed toward $300 a barrel based on basic supply-and-demand forces.

The oil market breathed a small sigh of relief Friday after Hosni Mubarak resigned as president of Egypt, sending prices to a 10-week low. But Charles T. Maxwell, an analyst who's been toiling in the energy business since 1957, all but shrugged off the toppling of the dictator. He's sticking with a bold prediction: Prices will climb to $300 a barrel in 2020, or about $225 in today's dollars. The world simply won't have enough oil to meet demand, he says. Barron's interviewed Maxwell, 79 years old, by telephone from the Greenwich, Conn., offices of Weeden & Co.....
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB...el_article%3D1
Old 02-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
I just started reading up on this last night, very frightening, to say the least.

It almost makes me wonder if there is any legitimate reason, at the age of 29, to wonder if I should even bother investing towards the future or just blow my extra cash now while life is still enjoyable, haha
Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.
Matthew 6:34

Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice.

I am not worrying about this one too much right now...shortly after reading this thread and coming across some other PEAK OIL information, I managed to give myself another reason to freak out, and that is the seemingly imminent devaluation of the US dollar and the subsequent elimination of the dollar as an international standard.

Hello, 'civil unrest'
Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Hello, 'civil unrest'
I think our boys water-s and special-ed were ahead of the curve!

On a serious note, I don't think our way of life is under immediate threat. But clearly the warning bells have been tolling for a while and we need to get our shit together. The decisions we make in the near future will echo for generations.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I feel the need...

Libya's place in the oil producing world

How the country measures up in crude supplies and production.

Annual oil Production 1.65 million barrels per day (2009) 86.1 million BPD (2010)

Oil consumption 280 thousand BPD (2009 estimated) 87.5 million BPD (2010)
Source IEA (if you tab down to 'Explainer')

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42177894...deastn_africa/
Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I recently returned from Norway on a 10 day trip meeting with many different energy producers (Oil/Gas, Wind, Hydro, etc). And the one thing that was most impactful about Oil and Gas exploration and drilling talked about the % of oil that was currently able to be extracted.

We met with the CFO of NorthEnergy (http://www.northenergy.no/) And he was telling us that current technology in Norway, allows them to extract approx 48% of the oil from any of their wells. They talked about how they were one of the companies that were doing the best in oil extraction percentage. In the US for example, we can only pull out approx 20-30% of the oil from known wells.

What blew me away, was that for most oil wells that have been discovered, there is still about 75% of the oil in the ground (that current technology can't get to yet). That leads to the assumption, that for all the oil that has ever been extracted, there is still somewhere between 50%-75% of the oil still down there. It was a very thought. He did say about how the oil is going to run out eventually, and the world needs to move to more sustainable ways to generate power (Geothermal, Hydro, Solar, Wind, Tidal, etc, etc..) I think we'll end up seeing many different solutions to the energy problem over the next 50 years, instead of just one solution (like we see now with oil).
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I feel the need...

An Incredible Hand-Drawn Guide To The Peak Oil Crisis

http://www.businessinsider.com/alekl...n-has-peaked-1

Are we smarter than a Fifth Grader?

Quick Reply: Your opinion on "Peak Oil" Theory