Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

We're in recovery.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amisconception
Anyone else thinking about learning Mandarin?
My 5 year old daughter is LOL! Once a week every Saturday morning at her school and the other days, when her mom is yelling at her for not doing her chores. Thank goodness her mom minored in Mandarin.

Me on the other hand, lost cause. 6 years of Spanish which I only use when I'm at a mexican restaurant, 3 years of Japanese when I want to make my Japanese friends laugh. I mean "raff"
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Chinese (due to it's complexity) is unlikely to ever be the language of business.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
My wife's middle sister just moved to Shanghai to take up a new job. Anecdotal story, but she says economy is starting to improve there. Wouldn't shock me if China and Brazil lead the recovery.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I feel the need...

Bernanke ‘Green Shoots’ May Signal False Spring Amid Job Losses

It will be months before it’s clear whether what Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke calls the U.S. economy’s “green shoots” represent the early onset of recovery, or a false spring.

The Labor Department’s April 3 report that the economy shed an additional 663,000 jobs last month, while the unemployment rate rose to 8.5 percent, will be followed by months more of bad-news headlines, economists say. The recession, now in its 17th month, has already cost 5.1 million Americans their jobs, the worst drop in the postwar era; unemployment may hit 9.4 percent this year, according to the median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey, and may top out above 10 percent in 2010.

The risk is that the jobs picture turns even more bleak than forecast or the drumbeat of bad news still to come causes consumers, whose spending has firmed up in recent months, to hunker down again.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aJa8WNMvKaxg
Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I feel the need...

U.S. Economy’s Decline Slowed Across Biggest Regions, Fed Says

By Scott Lanman
April 15 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. contraction slowed across
several of the Federal Reserve’s biggest regional economies last
month, with some industries “stabilizing at a low level,” the
central bank said in its regional business survey.
Five of 12 Fed district banks “noted a moderation in the
pace of decline,” the Fed said today in its Beige Book release,
published two weeks before officials meet in Washington to set
monetary policy. Other banks weren’t as positive, with the
Atlanta district, the Fed’s second-biggest regional economy,
reporting “activity remained weak in March.”
The report backs Chairman Ben S. Bernanke’s assessment
yesterday that the U.S. economy’s decline may be slowing,
signaling the possible beginning of a recovery from what may be
the worst recession since World War II. U.S. industrial capacity
in use fell last month to at least a 42-year-low, while consumer
prices in March had their first annual drop since 1955.
Retail sales showed a “slight improvement” in some
regions, and there was a “scattered pickup” in home buying,
the Fed report said. At the same time, many district banks saw
drops in manufacturing, non-financial services, business travel
and employment, the central bank said.
The Fed regional banks reporting a slower decline or signs
of stabilization include the San Francisco district, which has
the largest portion of the U.S. economy, as well as New York,
Chicago, Kansas City and Dallas.
The report reflects information collected through April 6
and summarized by staffers at the Dallas Fed. The Federal Open
Market Committee next meets in Washington April 28-29.
Economists surveyed by Bloomberg News estimate that the
pace of economic contraction eased in the first quarter of this
year from the 6.3 percent annual rate in the final three months
of 2008.
The Fed decided at its last policy meeting March 17-18 to
buy as much as $300 billion in Treasuries and more than double
purchases of housing debt to $1.45 billion in a bid to reduce
costs of home loans and other borrowing. Two weeks earlier, the
Beige Book said 10 of 12 Fed banks reported “weaker conditions
or declines” in their regional economies.

For Related News and Information:
Federal Reserve links: FED <GO>
Credit crunch page: WWCC <GO>
Fed balance-sheet figures: ALLX FARW <GO>
Government relief programs: GGRP <GO>
Fed monetary policy: FOMC <GO>
Fed Web links: FRBM <GO>
Central bank rates worldwide: CBRT <GO>
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ataCusiQuH9U
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I hope these guys are right. It would be nice to recover. I've been following a bit closer the last 2 or 3 weeks and it seems more positive.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I hope these guys are right. It would be nice to recover. I've been following a bit closer the last 2 or 3 weeks and it seems more positive.
You must be watching a lot of CNBC news....
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Last week was nothing more than a bear market rally. This rally may last a few more weeks, but it too will come to an end. Junk mail is a poor forward indicator of the economy. Job postings would be a much stronger forward indicator or possibly a decline in the unemployment rate for a couple of months.

Just watch and maybe revisit this thread in August and see if I'm right or wrong. The DOW is currently trading at 7223,98 and will hit resistance at 7550 on this uptrend. From there I project a downtrend possibly as low as 5000. Yes, I'm short the DOW and sleeping very well at night.
Happy Tax Day!

The DOW is now 8029 at the moment, so I have been wrong in my earlier prediction a month ago- as of now anyway. Today's Beige Book showed signs of a slowdown in the slowdown but doesn't indicate a bottom has hit (meaning an increase in activity in multiple FED districts across multiple criteria).

Here's what the first paragraph said:

"Reports from the Federal Reserve Banks indicate that overall economic activity contracted further or remained weak. However, five of the twelve Districts noted a moderation in the pace of decline, and several saw signs that activity in some sectors was stabilizing at a low level."

Here's the final paragraph under the Employment section:

"Continuing layoffs, furloughs and hiring freezes kept wage pressures minimal. Contacts from a broad range of industries reported pay freezes, with some noting salary reductions. The Minneapolis District reported that unionized faculty at Minnesota's technical and community colleges had tentatively accepted a two-year pay freeze. Contacts in the Boston, Philadelphia, Richmond, Chicago, and San Francisco Districts reported cuts in certain non-wage employment benefits, including cuts in bonuses, elimination or suspension of employer contributions to employee retirement programs, and increases in copayments on employer sponsored healthcare plans."

These hardly indicate a bottom.

A bottom usually means several economic indicators start turning up and are actually positive. Some of these indicators are: Avg weekly hours in manufacturing, Avg Weekly Initial Claims for unemployment, Manufacturers' New Orders for consumer goods & services, and others

The DJIA point & figure turned negative a couple days ago and it will test 7800 as a support level and then may drop down to 7500 from there. We're entering a seasonally weak part of the year starting in May which may also drag the DOW down as it usually does.

Despite what the government is saying, we cannot spend ourselves out of the mess we got into this time. This spend now pay later scheme just doesn't work in the real world. Interest rates will eventually rise and the party will be over.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I don't know. Unemployment for March was still high. Spending was unexpectedly down, and just today the second largest mall developer (General Growth Properties) filed for Chapter 11 protection.

I also think the market jumped up on news that should not have caused it to jump so much. Investors got a little bit of good news and overreacted. I still think the market is going to drop closer to 7300-7400 or so before it levels off and we truly begin to recover...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
^GGP has been dying a slow death for months now. They couldn't restructure their debt w/o bankruptcy. They have somewhere near $30B in assets and nearly $30B in debt.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Recovery? Not yet.

Retail sales dropped sharply in March, the government reported, and wholesale prices fell steeply. Both pieces of data underscore the hard slog the nation faces to emerge from its deep recession and the limitations of more optimistic talk from Washington. The stock market fell 2 percent, as measured by the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index. …

And the latest economic readings yesterday underscored that conditions remain weak. Retail sales fell 1.1 percent in March, compared with the previous month. Analysts had expected a slight gain.

The Commerce Department said that sales fell among every type of retailer except food and beverage and personal-care stores. The largest decrease was at electronics and appliance stores, which dropped 5.9 percent. Auto sales fell 2.3 percent compared with February, while clothing stores were down 1.8 percent.

When compared with the same month last year, total March sales dropped 9.4 percent.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we're fucked for a long time comin...now if i only bought some stock in smith & wesson at the beginnin of the yr
Old 04-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
^GGP has been dying a slow death for months now. They couldn't restructure their debt w/o bankruptcy. They have somewhere near $30B in assets and nearly $30B in debt.
I know that and you (obviously) knew that, but I'd say that ~75% of the general population did not see it coming until the announcement yesterday meaning all of those people are taking this as another recent economic casualty.

Kind of like how Sears/K-Mart has been in the shitter for some time, well before the meltdown, but if they went out of business now a majority of people would assume it's b/c of the recent economic performance.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am skeptical:

-GM is heading for bankruptcy. I have no doubts about this happening.

-Chrysler is heading for bankruptcy. Fiat doesn't need Chrysler. If the UAW/CAW doesn't make big concessions then the deal is dead.

The big question is how the government will respond. I expect the markets to once again drop.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
From the IMF report: Global Prospects and Policies

The global economy is in a severe recession inflicted by a massive financial crisis and an acute loss of confidence. Wide-ranging and often unorthodox policy responses have made some progress in stabilizing financial markets but have not yet restored confidence nor arrested negative feedback between weakening activity and intense financial strains. While the rate of contraction is expected to moderate from the second quarter onward, global activity is projected to decline by 1.3 percent in 2009 as a whole before rising modestly during the course of 2010.
Whole report here:

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/.../01/pdf/c1.pdf
Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
From AIA: Architecture Billings Index Shows Early Signs of Improving Business Conditions

After a series of historic lows, the Architecture Billings Index (ABI) was up more than eight points in March. As a leading economic indicator of construction activity, the ABI reflects the approximate nine to twelve month lag time between architecture billings and construction spending. The American Institute of Architects (AIA) reported the March ABI rating was 43.7, up from the 35.3 mark in February. This was the first time since September 2008 that the index was above 40, but the score still indicates an overall decline in demand for design services (any score above 50 indicates an increase in billings). The new projects inquiry score was 56.6.

“This news should be viewed with cautious optimism,” said AIA Chief Economist Kermit Baker, PhD, Hon. AIA. “The fact that inquiries for new projects increased is encouraging, but it will likely be a few months before we see an improvement in overall billings. Architects continue to report a diversity of business conditions, but the majority is still seeing weak
http://www.aia.org/press/AIAB079570
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I feel the need...

Long Odds? Three Scenarios for the Economy's Path

There is no doubt where the economy is now. "By any measure, this downturn represents by far the deepest global recession since the Great Depression," the International Monetary Fund declared Wednesday.

But there's more than the usual uncertainty about where it is going. The key is the U.S. Even though its slice of the world economy is smaller than it once was, it's still huge. The U.S. led the world into the abyss, and it will lead the world economy out of it.

But how fast and when?

The alphabet can help to imagine the possibilities and the path of the economy. There's the letter V: the kind of quick rebound that usually follows a deep recession. Or U: a longer recession and slow recovery. There is L: years of painfully slow growth. And W: a temporary upturn as the economy feels the jolt of fiscal stimulus that quickly wears off. Finally, there's the big D, not the shape but another Great Depression.

With history a guide, consider three starkly different scenarios.....
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124044454676445637.html
Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I feel the need...

A glimmer of hope?

The worst thing for the world economy would be to assume the worst is over

THE rays are diffuse, but the specks of light are unmistakable. Share prices are up sharply. Even after slipping early this week, two-thirds of the 42 stockmarkets that The Economist tracks have risen in the past six weeks by more than 20%. Different economic indicators from different parts of the world have brightened. China’s economy is picking up. The slump in global manufacturing seems to be easing. Property markets in America and Britain are showing signs of life, as mortgage rates fall and homes become more affordable. Confidence is growing. A widely tracked index of investor sentiment in Germany has turned positive for the first time in almost two years.

All this is welcome—not least because the slump has been made so much worse by panic and despair. When the financial system was on the brink of collapse in September, investors shunned all but the safest assets, consumers stopped spending and firms shut down. That plunge into the depths could be succeeded by a virtuous cycle, where the wheels of finance turn again, cheerier consumers open their wallets and ambitious firms turn from hoarding cash to pursuing profits.

But, welcome as it is, optimism contains two traps, one obvious, the other more subtle. The obvious trap is that confidence proves misplaced—that the glimmers of hope are misinterpreted as the beginnings of a strong recovery when all they really show is that the rate of decline is slowing. The subtler trap, particularly for politicians, is that confidence and better news create ruinous complacency. Optimism is one thing, but hubris that the world economy is returning to normal could hinder recovery and block policies to protect against a further plunge into the depths.....
http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...fsrc=nwlgafree
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I feel the need...

‘Green Shoots’ Won’t Lead Economies Out of Woods

Spring has arrived and everyone is fed up talking about the greatest depression since the 1930s. So now there are “green shoots” everywhere.

On one day last week, Bloomberg carried 118 articles and research reports from many sources in which the most durable of horticultural metaphors was deployed. They weren’t isolated cases.

“I do indeed see green shoots for the European economy,” Ewald Nowotny, a council member of the European Central Bank, said at a press conference in Vienna last week.

“We’re beginning to see some healthy signs -- the stirrings of what I call green shoots,” Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas President Richard Fisher said last month.

The trouble is, most of them are nonsense. Over the next few months, you are going to hear a whole series of increasingly ridiculous and bogus signals of recovery trumpeted as if they heralded the end of the recession. All will be meaningless.

Here’s a fool’s guide to four types of “green shoots,” all of which can be ignored by anyone trying to work out where the economy is going....
One: It’s no longer getting worse.

Two: We applied the medicine, so stop complaining.

Three: The stock market says so.

Four: Business leaders are more optimistic.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a68fKnmA8S6k
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 AM
2013 RL or bust

Invest in banks, tech, and especially oil! Oil has finally broken through the resistance of 44.50 and is now at 47.50! Maybe better wait for a tiny pullback and jump in.

Traders market people, get with it.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Makes me nervous that everyone and their brother is now recommending banks. I was buying 300% ago when everyone hated them.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by doopstr
Makes me nervous that everyone and their brother is now recommending banks. I was buying 300% ago when everyone hated them.
That's because it's fully apparent that Big Ben will run the presses all day, 600 days per year.

They won't let the big boys fail. These crooks are all in bed with one another. Stock prices will rise not because of performance or even more bogus accounting. Prices will rise because of inflation.

By then, dollar will make some decent toilet paper. Stack 2 together and you can have a 2-ply.

Then if you're lucky, maybe you'll actually find a buyer for those banks stocks to close your position assuming they haven't spent all their money on new wheelbarrows.

...not to say you can't make a flip in the short-term.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I feel the need...

Off their trolleys

Consumer spending may have hit bottom, but America’s mountain of debt means the climb back up will be slow and painful

CONFLICTING news this week from California, one of the centres of the housing bust. Just north of Los Angeles, a Texas bank was tearing down a half-built development of luxury houses that had fallen into its hands. With the market for flashy homes dead, the bank reckoned it made more financial sense to destroy them than to complete them.

Farther south, Jeffrey Mezger, boss of KB Home, a well-known LA-based home builder, was calling a bottom to his segment of the housing market. But KB Home’s secret, he said, was to sell custom-built homes that were smaller and cheaper than before, and priced to compete with a flood of cut-rate foreclosure properties. “Homes must change with the times,” he believes.

Whether it is for affordable homes or cheap goods, Americans are peering through the wreckage of the credit crunch and starting to buy again. After falling sharply in the second half of last year, consumer spending rose in the first quarter, and even sales of homes and cars have edged up from deeply depressed levels. Anticipating a rebound, shares of retail companies have soared.

Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, on May 5th characterised the news on consumers as “somewhat better”. That cautious endorsement qualifies as downright ebullient compared with the pervasive gloom of a few months ago.....
http://www.economist.com/finance/dis...src=nwlptwfree
Old 05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
2013 RL or bust

Originally Posted by special-ed
That's because it's fully apparent that Big Ben will run the presses all day, 600 days per year.

They won't let the big boys fail. These crooks are all in bed with one another. Stock prices will rise not because of performance or even more bogus accounting. Prices will rise because of inflation.

By then, dollar will make some decent toilet paper. Stack 2 together and you can have a 2-ply.

Then if you're lucky, maybe you'll actually find a buyer for those banks stocks to close your position assuming they haven't spent all their money on new wheelbarrows.

...not to say you can't make a flip in the short-term.

Money to be made short-term for sure. Gotta just be on your toes, as always.. Nice market correction yesterday for getting your position in if you haven't been buying yet. I know there's more to go..

Unemployment claims down for the first time in a longgggg time.... time to at least buy into this market before you get burned, AGAIN!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Well hate to break the bubble, but when inflation goes sky high which alot of people know will happen. Interest rates will sky rocket and destroy any bull run in stock markets and bring down the price of houses again.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black Tire
Well hate to break the bubble, but when inflation goes sky high which alot of people know will happen. Interest rates will sky rocket and destroy any bull run in stock markets and bring down the price of houses again.
Speaking of higher interest rates...

Weak demand at a Treasury bond auction touched off worries in the stock market Thursday about the government’s ability to raise funds to fight the recession.

The government had to pay greater interest than expected in a sale of 30-year Treasurys. That is worrisome to traders because it could signal that it will become harder for Washington to finance its ambitious economic recovery plans. The higher interest rates also could push up costs for borrowing in areas like mortgages.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...WZGdQD981KVDG4
Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
2013 RL or bust

oh good cuz i wanna buy a house, just can't do it right now.. but within 6 months-1 year will be
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by afjock21
oh good cuz i wanna buy a house, just can't do it right now.. but within 6 months-1 year will be
Prices will drop because interest rates will go up. Your mortgage payment today won't likely be much different on the same price house 12 months from now.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
2013 RL or bust

ohh yeaah, true.. at least the payment won't get worse a year from now, with excellent credit of course.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The latest Federal Reserve survey of senior loan officers finds very few shoots of green in that garden. The Fed asked senior loan officers: What is your bank’s outlook for delinquencies and charge-offs on existing loans of various sorts in 2009, assuming that “economic activity progresses in line with consensus forecasts?” Short answer: Gloomy. Or as the Fed put it: “A significant majority of banks reported that credit quality for all types of loans is likely to deteriorate over the year” — and that’s assuming the economy doesn’t take another turn for the worse.

The specifics:

Commercial and industrial loans: Of 52 banks responding, none said they expect improving quality, but seven said they expect delinquencies and charge offs to stabilize at current levels.
Commercial real-estate loans: Only 1 of 51 banks (the other doesn’t make such loans) sees improving quality, and three see quality stabilizing at current levels. Of the 47 who see a worsening picture, 13 expected a substantial deterioration in 2009.
Prime residential mortgages: Only 1 of 50 banks sees improving quality, and seven see quality stabilizing at current levels.
Subprime mortgages: No bank sees improving quality, and only two see quality stabilizing at current levels.
Home equity lines: No bank sees improving quality, though nine expect quality to stabilize around current levels.
Credit card loans: None of the 31 banks who make such loans expects improvement, and three expect stabilization.
Other consumer loans: Only one of 50 banks expects improvement, though 12 see loan quality stabilizing around current levels.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/...s-yet-to-come/
Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
2013 RL or bust

btw, why the garden analogies? And where did 'green shoots' come from or as that old idiot Kudlow like to use.. 'mustard seeds' wtf?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The current contraction may so far be following the economic law named for Victor Zarnowitz, the late expert on business cycles: Deep recessions are almost always followed by rapid rebounds. Consumer confidence rose by the most in more than two years in April as surging stock prices and falling mortgage rates boosted optimism. A gauge of U.S. manufacturing activity had its biggest bounce since 2005 as companies eased up on efforts to slash inventories. Even the crippled housing market has shown signs of stabilizing.

The risk is that any snapback may end up stunted by structural impediments -- from heavily indebted consumers to a hobbled banking system -- that continue to weigh on the economy and may prevent a sustained run of rapid expansion.

“We could see one or two quarters of 6, 5, 4 percent growth,” says Joel Naroff, president of Naroff Economic Advisors Inc. in Holland, Pennsylvania, who was the top forecaster of the U.S. economy in Bloomberg News surveys last year. “But that doesn’t mean that the economy will be in good shape. We’ll just be going from truly gruesome to bad.”

Bridgewater Associates agrees. The Westport, Connecticut- based financial firm, which says it manages $72 billion in assets, sees a good chance of a big spurt in the economy late in the year, with growth then settling back to a trend line of a shade over 2 percent. That would be well below the postwar rate of 3.3 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...H6o&refer=home (full article)
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Yup. It'll be interesting to see how people on these ALT-A's take it up the backside when interest rates rise as the term on their arm loans reset.

All the more reason why housing hasn't hit bottom and why more people will lose what they have left as the rallies die and reach new lows IMO.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by afjock21
Money to be made short-term for sure. Gotta just be on your toes, as always.. Nice market correction yesterday for getting your position in if you haven't been buying yet. I know there's more to go..

Unemployment claims down for the first time in a longgggg time.... time to at least buy into this market before you get burned, AGAIN!
I play FOREX only. I'm done with the manipulation on these smaller markets and yes, when you look at daily transactions, stock market is small-time.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by special-ed
I play FOREX only. I'm done with the manipulation on these smaller markets and yes, when you look at daily transactions, stock market is small-time.

So, Mr. Big Time guru hedge fund FOREX baller, are you long dong or short dong?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
I feel the need...

Fed Officials Unconvinced Economy’s ‘Stabilization’ to Persist

Federal Reserve officials, who see possible signs of “stabilization” in the U.S. economy, signaled they’re not convinced those improvements will persist.

Policy makers, meeting April 28-29 in Washington, saw “significant downside risks” to the outlook for the economy, with the global financial system still “vulnerable to further shocks,” minutes of the session released yesterday said.

The report indicates that Fed officials may be ready to build on their plan in March to buy $300 billion of Treasuries should the economy or financial markets deteriorate further. Some policy makers said an increase “might well be warranted at some point to spur a more rapid pace of recovery” from the worst recession in five decades, the minutes showed.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aSLlOlC0rgdY
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
After 6 years, the Dong jokes never get old LMAO
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I feel the need...

Buffett Aide Sokol Says Housing, Economy Aren’t Near Recovery

The U.S. housing market is nowhere near recovery and signs of stabilization are premature, said David Sokol, a top aide to billionaire investor Warren Buffett who oversees the nation’s second-largest real estate brokerage.

Sokol was among money managers who told an investment conference in New York the economy is still deteriorating and they don’t have a lot of confidence in President Barack Obama’s economic policies.

“We’re not seeing the green shoots,” said Sokol, head of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co., which owns HomeServices of America Inc. “We don’t see improvement.”

MidAmerican is owned by Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway, and Sokol is considered a possible successor to Buffett as head of Berkshire. Sokol spoke before reports today showed new-home sales posted their second increase in three months during April, and mortgage delinquencies and foreclosures rose to records in the first quarter.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=as5eaFiSGc5I
Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I feel the need...

Bloated U.S. Consumer Unfit for Recovery Marathon

Here’s a cautionary word for investors and export nations like Germany, Japan and China: This week’s report of the biggest gain in consumer confidence since 2003 is no sign that America’s shoppers are in any shape to start gorging again.

The harsh reality is that the once-mighty U.S. consumer is setting out on a long, debt-reduction marathon that will mute economic recovery in America and among its major trading partners.

No wonder folks like Pacific Investment Management Co. Chief Executive Officer Mohamed El-Erian were talking in recent weeks of a “new normal” of 2 percent or less for U.S. economic growth.

The issue with consumers: Their balance sheets are a bloated mess with household debt still unsustainably high at more than 130 percent of income. Getting the ratio down to a more realistic sub-100 percent level -- never mind the 60 percent to 70 percent range seen in the 1960s and 1970s -- involves serious consumption cutbacks. With consumers accounting for about 70 percent of the U.S. economy, this one-time engine of growth may easily become a dead weight.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a0XPimJ3ggts

Quick Reply: We're in recovery.