Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Tax return question... relocation expenses?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Tax return question... relocation expenses?

Last year when I moved to Alabama for my job, the company paid for the relocation expenses.

The way it worked is that the company grossed up the amounts so that after taxes, there would still be the exact amount left over in my payroll account to pay for the relocation costs. Of course, it only went through me on paper; the company took care of everything. I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket for the ordinary expenses; anything that I paid out of pocket, I got reimbursed.

Now that it's tax season... someone from work swears up and down that I could get those relo expenses deducted. Any truth to this?

I already have the taxes figured out, aside from the relocation thing. I don't want to go to H&R Block and pay a hundred bucks only to find out that I do not qualify for deductions on the relo. Advice welcome. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't do it. Your company will be filing your relocation as deductions for them. So, if you did it also, it would be deducted twice. If you didn't pay for it, you shouldn't file it. People might be able to get away with it, but is it worth it if you get audited?

At least, that's my opinion.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Cause of power outages...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that you'd only be able to deduct relocation expenses if you were not reimbursed by the company. Reimbursement by the company in effect is them paying some company expenses to you, so no, you shouldn't be able to deduct them.

A similar situation would be if you used your car for work transportation (that is, in order to enable you to work during the day). If your company reimbursed you, you cannot declare a deduction. If they didn't however, you would be able to claim it as a work deduction.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Dragging knees in

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Thanks for the comments, guys.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Last year when I moved to Alabama for my job, the company paid for the relocation expenses.

The way it worked is that the company grossed up the amounts so that after taxes, there would still be the exact amount left over in my payroll account to pay for the relocation costs. Of course, it only went through me on paper; the company took care of everything. I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket for the ordinary expenses; anything that I paid out of pocket, I got reimbursed.

I'm confused by what you wrote. Did the company actually pay for the move? What what you said above, it sounds like they paid you the amount for relocation in your paycheck (however the check they gave you didn't actually have the full net amoutn because they would keep the exta $$ from the Net and pay for the moving. That doesn't make much sense to me, but if that is what happened, that means you paid taxes on that money that was used to relocate you...making it deducatable for you.

But if the company actually paid for it, you can't deduct anything.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
If your company reimbursed you for it 100% you cannot deduct it.

Case closed.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My tax book says Moving expenses are deductible For AGI and so are reimbursed Expenses. For reimbursed Expenses it says " Deduction for AGI if reimbursed, an adequate accounting is made, and employee is required to repay excess reimbursements."
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Bent = #1

I couldn't edit the above post, but the link below will help you out.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tips/20010302a.asp

"If your new employer reimburses you for some or all of your transfer costs, don't look to the IRS for additional help. Moving expenses paid by your boss aren't deductible."

If you had paid out of pocket for those expenses then they would have been deductible. Since you were reimbursed then you cannot deduct those expenses. Although from what you state it seems the company paid for most of the moving expenses themselves.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Bent = #1

You can also look at this..

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p521.pdf

Compare your W-2 with Table 2 and see if you are allowed any deductions and need to file Form 3903.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Dragging knees in

Okay, let me see if I can explain it a little better.

For the moving costs, what the company did was gross up the actual costs and put it through my payroll account.

So, for example, if the moving company charged a thousand bucks to move my stuff, then my employer would gross it up to, say, 1,400. They would then put it in my payroll account as income. Take away taxes, which leaves me with 1,000 to pay the moving company. But my company already paid the moving company and I was never actually given any money. It just went through me on paper.

I hope that made sense. So yeah, the company actually paid more than it should have (by grossing it up) in order to pay for the taxes and still have the exact amount left over to pay for the costs.

Like I said, I had a feeling that it was not deductible. But it's just that someone told me it was, and I wanted to look into it further. That is all. Thanks for the advice, guys.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Bent = #1

Look I'm taking my first Tax test on Tuesday and we are doing Fringe Benefits. For Qualified moving expense reimbursements the book says this:

Qualified moving expenses that are reimbursed or paid by the employer are excludible from gross income. A qualified moving expense is one that would be deductible under $217.

If your company gave you extra $ in your income, then you are allowed to deduct those moving expenses!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun

If your company gave you extra $ in your income, then you are allowed to deduct those moving expenses!
Do you mean the relocation costs that the company gave me? Is that what you mean by "extra $ in your income"?

If so, that is good news.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Bent = #1

If you are giving extra income then that income is taxable. Since you used that extra income to relocate (ie moving expenses) then they should be deductible.

Did your company give you $60000 for income rather than $50000 income? (Example $$) That extra $10000 would be given to you for moving expenses, and those moving expenses are deductible as a fringe benefit. So your AGI would be $50000 instead of the $60000 given to you.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Bent = #1

I don't mean to say deductible from Income, but excluded from Income to arrive at Gross Income.

Look at that irs thing I posted 3-4 posts above. You may need to fill out form 3903 if you want to account for the moving expenses.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
My company did the same thing when they relocated me from NY to DC. They made very sure I knew that I was responsible for taxes and not to deduct it. They must have told me like 10 times.
You can always ask your company's HR dept.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My company gave me a relocation package about 6 years ago. Funny though, since I went to school and lived in the same city...but that's a different story.

they withheld taxes like income, and from what I though, the expenses are "deductible" in a sense if you itemize, but otherwise it would be included in your standard deduction. but i'm no tax expert.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Bent = #1

You need to look at your W-2 and see what is on there. Your company should have specified the increase of income is for relocation expenses. If those expenses are qualified then they are excluded from taxable income, if they are non-qualified then they are included in taxable income.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Bent = #1

In the case of some fringe benefits that are offered to or given to employees, certain benefits can be excluded from an employee’s income because the expenses would normally be deductible on an individual’s personal income tax return. A moving or relocation expense is one such benefit. An individual who relocates because of a change in employment may attach a Form 3903 to his annual Form 1040 to deduct certain qualified moving expenses. And employers may either pay or reimburse an employee’s moving expenses without taxing the payments if the expenses would otherwise have been deductible using Form 3903.

Employers who pay for the relocation expenses of an employee have the freedom to pay for whatever expenses they wish, but only those expenses that qualify as deductible can be excluded from the employee’s income. All other expenses paid or reimbursed are subject to withholding for federal income, social security, and Medicare taxes. The employer is also responsible for including such payments for FUTA taxes, and in most states the expenses are also subject to tax withholding.
I am pretty positive that you can exclude most expenses (the qualified ones) from your taxable income. I would try to ask someone in your company, preferably an accountant. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Dragging knees in

I've checked out the relocation expenses form from IRS. It asks for a code on the W2 form, which would describe the relocation costs' deductibility. But my W2 didn't show any code. Maybe it is just counted as part of taxable income.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Bent = #1

Honestly I think your company gave you too much money. They gave you extra money to pay for the taxes, when I don't think they needed too. If you needed $10000 for qualified relocation expenses, then if they gave that to you you would be able to exclude it from taxable income. They instead gave you $15000 to account for the taxes, but this really shouldn't be necessary. I would talk to someone with more experience than myself, but since your company gave you the extra $ to pay for the taxes you really aren't losing money. All the effort would be to just save your company money.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
I am pretty positive that you can exclude most expenses (the qualified ones) from your taxable income. I would try to ask someone in your company, preferably an accountant. Good luck.
I think you will find that if the moving expense is reimbursed 1 for 1; ie you were given 1,000 to cover 1,000 in expenses, then it is non-taxable and is deductable from your agi.

In this case the employer paid more than the actual expense to cover the taxes, so I believe that the expense $$ are taxable income.

Your companies accounting department has probably got this pretty well figured out, and if you use the numbers from your w-2 you should be good. Ask an accountant to be sure.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Dragging knees in

Yeah, I just called my parents. They are going to call their CPA tomorrow to find out. He's pretty good at finding deductions, so he should know.

I will update with what I hear. Thanks again for the advice, guys.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Zippee
I think you will find that if the moving expense is reimbursed 1 for 1; ie you were given 1,000 to cover 1,000 in expenses, then it is non-taxable and is deductable from your agi.

In this case the employer paid more than the actual expense to cover the taxes, so I believe that the expense $$ are taxable income.

Your companies accounting department has probably got this pretty well figured out, and if you use the numbers from your w-2 you should be good. Ask an accountant to be sure.

First you deduct to arrive at AGI.

Secondly, if reimbursement of moving expenses is non-taxable then why would the company pay the extra money. It is true that if you did receive extra reimbursement money then that would be taxable.

Like I said previously, I believe your company is cheating themselves. They shouldn't have to give you extra money to pay for taxes since the fringe benefit is non-taxable.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Yeah, I just called my parents. They are going to call their CPA tomorrow to find out. He's pretty good at finding deductions, so he should know.

I will update with what I hear. Thanks again for the advice, guys.

Please let us know what he says, I'm curious to see what the answer is.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You had me at my company paid all my moving expenses.

Bottom line, if you were reimbursed for moving expenses.... IT'S NOT DEDUCTIBLE.

Why are we still discussing this?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
You had me at my company paid all my moving expenses.

Bottom line, if you were reimbursed for moving expenses.... IT'S NOT DEDUCTIBLE.

Why are we still discussing this?

It's a fringe benefit and reimbursement from the employer is not included in taxable income..