Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Tax Question - Work wrongly filed imputed tax for domestic partnership

Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tax Question - Work wrongly filed imputed tax for domestic partnership

This is a three part question.

My finance lost her job in 4/16/2008. My company allows me to add domestic partners to my insurance.

I added her and they charged me roughly $320 a month as "Offest Domestic Partner Insurance" I'm guessing this was for imputed income. I do believe there are classifications where if she has no options for benefits I can adjust to have them file as a non contributor or something of that nature.

Second part, we got married 10/18/08 and she is still unemployeed. I submitted that I had a life event change, that I got married. Yet HR never made that adjustment so I was being charged the same tax from then until now. They are telling me they can't back date and I have to file this with the IRS.

What forms need to be filled for admending wrongly charged imputed income?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I think they can back date and recover that tax but probably can't be bothered. I don't think they are required to do that. So you are going to need to wait until you do your 1040.

Last edited by doopstr; 04-03-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
You are also going to need to check with HR to see what Insurance is supposed to cost. Most companies these days don't cover your premiums and will take out money when you add a spouse to the policy.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
This is a three part question.

My finance lost her job in 4/16/2008. My company allows me to add domestic partners to my insurance.

I added her and they charged me roughly $320 a month as "Offest Domestic Partner Insurance" I'm guessing this was for imputed income. I do believe there are classifications where if she has no options for benefits I can adjust to have them file as a non contributor or something of that nature.

Second part, we got married 10/18/08 and she is still unemployeed. I submitted that I had a life event change, that I got married. Yet HR never made that adjustment so I was being charged the same tax from then until now. They are telling me they can't back date and I have to file this with the IRS.

What forms need to be filled for admending wrongly charged imputed income?
Your company is generous offering benefits to your "domestic partner." Based on what I understand from what you described you are simply subsidizing some of the premium cost. Based on the amount of contribution you are making, you most likely work for a smaller company (?) Your company will probably charge you the same if you add your wife to the policy. Check with HR for your employee contribution plan to health & welfare benefits plan.

As far as your tax consequence (I happen to work for a CPA firm - audit side, but I know some taxes ), the only impact this will have is how much they withhold on your check. If you've overpaid (most likely you did), you will get it all back on your tax return. No need to worry about back-dating, etc..

Lastly, there is no need to submit additional forms. Just file your return and correct your withholding this year. O, and make sure you check with HR to make sure you are charged the correct amount of contribution rate. You don't want to overpay when you are covered by your company.

PM me if you need help on your federal return. As for State, I can only help with CA returns since I'm not familiar with other State's laws and I'm too lazy to look up State specific regulations.