Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Sprint PCS and Nextel merger

Old 12-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sprint PCS and Nextel merger

I was listening to the news the other day and they said that it was rumored that Sprint pcs and nextel might merge. When that happened the stock went up a little. Is it to late to buy some shares in Sprint. Will the stock go any higher once they do merge? I want to buy at least 100 shares going for $24.00. Any suggestions, thnx greatly appreciated
Old 12-12-2004, 04:44 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
historically the acquired company does well and the acquiring company does not do well on the exchanges.... If I was you I would buy more shares of Nextel and leave Sprint as is.... Sprint PCS has had problems in the past and this merger is favorable to Nextel more than Sprint PCS, since Nextel is the one bringing more to the table technology wise.... I predict Nextel stock to go a little higher and Sprint PCS to stay relatively unchanged....
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and what if Verizon ends up buying them huh? Lot of things can happen, more info:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...31#post2255031
Old 12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
What your problem is?

Verizon did look at both the financials (primarily of Sprint PCS) and has decided to not make a bid for Sprint PCS.... primarily because the govt may have blocked it.... company would have been too big....

If the merger does go through, then both companies will retain their own names.... it appears that the deal is an all stock transaction, which yields little to no benefit to investors since the stock trade will occure regardless of the price fluctuation from this point forward.... (most likely because they will prevent the trade of the acquired stock.....

Sprint PCS goes after the average consumer (teenagers, young adults, etc...) Nextel is going after the business market with the two-way radio feature and the blue-tooth compability... regardless, it is going to have some major hurdles since the two technologies are not compatible with each other and other problems...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Retired playa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indoMFP
Sprint PCS goes after the average consumer (teenagers, young adults, etc...) Nextel is going after the business market with the two-way radio feature and the blue-tooth compability... .
Actually, Sprint and Nextel have the highest $$ per contract (Nextel #1, Sprint #2)rating of all the major cell companies including verizon and cingular. Sprint is the #1 Enterprise cell phone company, and Nextel is actually #2. I read on google news that this merger would solidify Sprints #3 standing and cut operating costs for where both companies overlap (i.e. tech support and call centers) Right now the gap between 2 & 3rd is huge... merging would give the #3 and #5 companies a fighting chance at decent market share.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 PM
What your problem is?

Well, I have to recant... Vodafone has cleared the hurdle so we may see Verizon Wireless go after Sprint.... could this be another Oracle, PeopleSoft fiasco???