Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

S&P 500 Hits Four-Year High

Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
S&P 500 Hits Four-Year High

I hope it keeps up.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk to fdl first, he says it's better if the S&P went down a lot so that he can buy it AFTERWARDS with the cash that he's saved up in the mean time.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Old 07-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SDCGTSX
Talk to fdl first, he says it's better if the S&P went down a lot so that he can buy it AFTERWARDS with the cash that he's saved up in the mean time.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

mwahhahaahaa
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Actually, all joking aside, the hardest part of trying to time the market on its way down is knowing when the bottom has hit, which is why 99% of people CAN'T stomach trying to buy in the way down.

Like trying to catch a falling dagger they say. If you catch at the hilt, you're good, but chances are....
Old 07-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

at my "relative" young age, i'd have to side with FDL on this one. i'd prefer the market stay stagnant, or even go down...maximizing my current dollar purchase power.

of course, this is from purely a long-term retirement vantage point. i do have shorter term ETFs and mutual funds, so i'm happy to have those go up.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

Every one of you that wants the market to stay down/real estate market have that opinion because you dont know the advantage of investment.

You can out pace inflation with ease if you invest wisely and end up with more in the long run. MUCH more.

You should also know that just because the "stock market" goes down, doesnt mean your dollar buys you more, nor controls inflation.

They should really make some more economics classes mandatory.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, see unlike you and Steel I know the difference between a cashable investment like stocks, and a non-cashable investment like your primary home. The more you compare stocks to your primary home the more you show me your ignorance.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fdl
No, see unlike you and Steel I know the difference between a cashable investment like stocks, and a non-cashable investment like your primary home. The more you compare stocks to your primary home the more you show me your ignorance.
The difference? There is of course a difference between cashing out your stock and cashing out your home. You could simply go get a home equity line on your house.

Now that doesnt help the situation at all.

What you fail to realize is a thing called real net worth. Real net worth INCLUDES fixed properties (or slightly fixed in the case of a primary home).

As I already told you, the reason you dislike the market going up is because you have a fixed income. When you dont have a fixed income you like the market going up because the cost difference is negligible because the percentage is where it's at.

I understand your point, but you fail to recognize that a non-fixed wage earner doesnt care if the prices go up and it costs more numerical dollars, the percent is the same.

Last edited by Steel; 07-15-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:10 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Do you guys know how to read? Seriously? Do you?

Originally Posted by Steel
What you fail to realize is a thing called real net worth. Real net worth INCLUDES fixed properties (or slightly fixed in the case of a primary home).
I do realize " a thing called real net worth". My formula simply demonstrated that if your objective is to get into a bigger home, the real estate market going down helps you. Regardles of "net worth" or other numbers that exist on paper.

As I already told you, the reason you dislike the market going up is because you have a fixed income. When you dont have a fixed income you like the market going up because the cost difference is negligible because the percentage is where it's at.
What? This statement doesnt even make sense. And no i dont have a "fixed income"

I understand your point, but you fail to recognize that a non-fixed wage earner doesnt care if the prices go up and it costs more numericle dollars, the percent is the same.
Once again, this statement doesnt make sense or perhaps is not in english.

Guys, dont hijack this thread any further. Take it to the real estate thread.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fdl
Do you guys know how to read? Seriously? Do you?

I do realize " a thing called real net worth". My formula simply demonstrated that if your objective is to get into a bigger home, the real estate market going down helps you. Regardles of "net worth" or other numbers that exist on paper.

What? This statement doesnt even make sense. And no i dont have a "fixed income"

Once again, this statement doesnt make sense or perhaps is not in english.

Guys, dont hijack this thread any further. Take it to the real estate thread.
I hate to be rude but do you have reading comprehension issues?

Do you know what a numericle dollar is? It's what you're complaining about, the difference between 250k reinvestment and 150k reinvestment.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I hate to be rude but do you have reading comprehension issues?

No, but i bet english is not your first language. Am I right?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fdl
No, but i bet english is not your first language. Am I right?
Wrong, and now since you opened that can of worms let's see who has a higher education and more net worth. Anything else?

Putz.

I guess the good part is that if you were right the market's would all be in negative digits. I guess the market maker's are missing out on something you know.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fdl
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Both are cashable. Just sell it. Stocks are more liquid than homes but both are quite cashable. Name calling is the ultimate showing of ignorance.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned

A home is not a liquid asset in any sense of the phrase, however compared to other fixed assets it is "more" liquid.

Stocks are liquid because they are marketable and sellable in a matter of seconds.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Tell that to some people around here who are selling their homes within days of listing.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned

Days is not liquid, minutes is.

Any property expected to be held for more than 1 year that can not be sold on a whim (minutes) is a fixed asset. (General definition)
Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know how old fdl is but he's probably 30-35? Buying his first home in Toronto which means it's worth about as much as my bedroom, and making some really bad observations that he thought was brilliant, so my guess is that he isn't an economics major or finance guy. Probably a computer guy who thinks he discovered some magical formula for making money in the markets... Education level? I'd say mediocre college.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

I don't know how old fdl is but he's probably 30-35? Buying his first home in Toronto which means it's worth about as much as my bedroom, and making some really bad observations that he thought was brilliant, so my guess is that he isn't an economics major or finance guy. Probably a computer guy who thinks he discovered some magical formula for making money in the markets... Education level? I'd say mediocre college.
I hate to take pot shots but I agree.

His formula is so flawed it's ridiculous, so flawed that he can't even have an argument with it. Yet he's promulgated his formula in a 7 page thread.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

So now you guys have resorted to insulting my education, my financial situation. my grammer. Calling me a putz. Anything else?

Your comment about the Toronto real estate market proves your ignorance, because it is one of the highest in North America.

You go on and on about how flawed my formula is, yet you cant post one single post where you can find or point out the flaw. You just blow smoke. No I'm not a finance major, I just started crunching numbers and came up with what I think is an interesting point. So far, noone has been able to discount the fact.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I hate to take pot shots but I agree.

His formula is so flawed it's ridiculous, so flawed that he can't even have an argument with it.
So flawed that you cant even exaplin whast wrong with it
Old 07-15-2005, 02:01 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Both are cashable. Just sell it. Stocks are more liquid than homes but both are quite cashable. Name calling is the ultimate showing of ignorance.

Your primary home is not considered cashable. And you are giving me a hard time about not being an economics major?