Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

pay back loan or invest the money?

Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pay back loan or invest the money?

Guys, I am always confused about this issue.

I have some money that I dont need. I can either throw them into repaying part of my student loan, or I can invest it or leave it in the bank.

Now my student loan has a variable rate and its at 5% right now. So I don't think it makes sense to have my money staying in the bank making 2% when I could pay back part of the loan and not loose that 3%. But interest for student loans are tax deductable. My question is, at the end, is it better to throw the money into paying back part of the loan and get a less tax deductable or to keep it in the bank/invest it and loose/pay out of my pocket the 3% difference in interest and get the tax deductable?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interest to student loans are barely tax deductible. I have not been able to deduct student loan interest in years. If you make more then $40K/year (I think about that number) then you cannot deduct.

If you have the cash, I'd pay it out. But otherwise, the loan is a good rate and you're not really hurting yourself by keeping it. Another option is that you can decrease your total by paying off some of the principle now. Make sure your bank knows that you intend to pay principle (they may have a form), or else they'll just assume any extra payments are to interest.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:39 PM

oh i didnt know you cant deduct interest from student loan if you make more than 40k.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Originally posted by Slimey
Interest to student loans are barely tax deductible. I have not been able to deduct student loan interest in years. If you make more then $40K/year (I think about that number) then you cannot deduct.

If you have the cash, I'd pay it out. But otherwise, the loan is a good rate and you're not really hurting yourself by keeping it. Another option is that you can decrease your total by paying off some of the principle now. Make sure your bank knows that you intend to pay principle (they may have a form), or else they'll just assume any extra payments are to interest.
I dont believe your correct on this one I write mine off every yr!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Outnumbered at home

Pay it off. Remember if they are deductible that is still only reducing your 5% opportunity cost by maybe 28% or whatever tax bracket you are in. If you have the money pay it off, or start sending extra money.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Homeless

Save the money. Better to have a cushion for something unexpected than have to put that charge on a 21% APR credit card.

Use your tax refund to payoff student loans, etc.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Slimey

i believe that if your income is $50K or less, you can claim the full deduction. anywhere between $50-60K is a percentage. $60K+...you're phased out completely.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by GTKrockeTT
i believe that if your income is $50K or less, you can claim the full deduction. anywhere between $50-60K is a percentage. $60K+...you're phased out completely.
I knew I was in the ballpark. As said, I have not been able to deduct student loan related interest in years...I'm not complaining!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:50 PM

i just checked, ya its $65k then ur out, oh well, i guess we are out. I am just gonna put it towards my loans then
Old 03-26-2004, 03:54 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Originally posted by GTKrockeTT
Well that is bs because i make alot more than 65k and somehow my accountant manages to write it off
Old 03-26-2004, 04:05 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Originally posted by phil2
Well that is bs because i make alot more than 65k and somehow my accountant manages to write it off
I figured out how.....

I am paid 3/4 of my income 1099 and1/4 w-2 therefore my adjusted gross income is basically only my w-2 since its all accounted for by expenses........

Student Loan Interest Deduction

You may be able to deduct up to $2,500 of the interest you paid on student loans on your federal individual income tax return. The requirement that you can only deduct interest paid during the first 60 months that interest payments are required has been eliminated.

Income Limits

Beginning in 2002, the amount of your student loan interest deduction will be phased out (gradually reduced) if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is between $50,000 and $65,000 ($100,000 and $130,000 if you file a joint return). You will not be able to take a student loan interest deduction if your MAGI is $65,000 or more ($130,000 or more if you file a joint return).

Eligibility

You are eligible to take the interest deduction if you paid interest on a student loan for you, your spouse, or a person who was your dependent. An eligible student is a student who was enrolled at least half-time in a program that led to a degree, certificate, or other recognized educational credential.

Qualified Expenditures

Qualified expenditures are the total cost of attending an eligible educational institution, including graduate school, including tuition and fees, room and board, books, supplies, and equipment, and other necessary expenses such as transportation. You must reduce the qualified expenses by the amount of any tax-free educational assistance you received.

Eligible Educational Institutions

Eligible educational institutions are any college, university, vocational school, or other post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in student aid programs administered by the United States Department of Education.

For additional information on the Student Loan Interest Deduction, see Internal Revenue Service
Old 03-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Where is my super sauce?

A $2500 max deduction is laughable...that seems like a very low ceiling on student loan interest deductions, especially considering what many students take out nowadays for college & graduate education.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm always for paying off debt. I hate to pay interest. It kills me to pay the mortgage bill every month. I paid off my CLS last year, and saved about $2k in interest.