Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Need advice on this ... credit reference

Old 01-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need advice on this ... credit reference

Ok folks,
I would like to get some advice on this scenario.
A few years back, I know a friend's friend ... not really close but we used to hang out a few times a week. For some reasons, he used me as his credit reference to apply for some loans. Back then, I was not aware of it since he did not tell me that he used me as a credit reference. I did not get any call from the bank(s) for verification either.
Here is the interesting part ... he disappeared and for years now I have not heard anything from him.
I recently got numerous calls from financial companies (or collecting agency) leaving me voicemails searching for this person. They did not state the reason, just wanted to know his where about.
I have no clue where this person is since we have lost contact for years.

Here are my questions:
1) Will I in trouble if I response and tell these financial people that I don't know where he is?
2) Will it effect my credit history since I was the credit reference for this person who disappeared even though I did not authorize it?
3) What is the best way to tell his financial people (or collecting agency) to stop calling me since I don't know he is.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st thing I would do is check all 3 credit reporting agencys to make sure your not a co-signer to anything your friend financed.

2nd when the collecting agencys call and there usually scum bags from what i'm told, tell them you don't know anything about the where abouts of your friend and demand for them to take you off there list, as your sick and tried of the calls. His problem is not your problem and it has nothing to do with you.

3rd If your so called friend has used you has a credit reference but has decided to go AWOL thats not your fault. State the truth as you have nothing to hide, you don't know where he is, and have not been in contact with him for years, and futher more he used you as a credit ref without your knowledge.

Regarding your credit, as long as he only used you for a credit ref and not as a co-signer. Nothing of what your friend financed should be on your credit report of what he owes and financed.

He if had your SS # and other personal info thats a whole different story. But like i said check your credit report with Equifax, Experian and Transunion.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F900,
Thanks for the response. It makes me feel better to know that I won't be responsible for that whatever the doofus did. I did not put any signature or co-sign any loans that he applied, only to become his credit refence without my knowledge.
I will watch my credit report to make sure it is not effected by this incident.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers !!!