Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Need advice on creating a business proposal...

Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Need advice on creating a business proposal...

well they are building some luxury condos/townhomes and they have reserved the first floor for retail space... now i plan on opening up a nail salon, and the owner asked me to submit a small business proposal/case...

now i got my degree in business and have written many large business case propositions but never one for a small business... anyone have any pointers or tips??? i don't want to write a formal business case that just bores him and wastes his time...

maybe a quick little intro, bullet out a few important facts like the business and how it can be beneficial, then a quick resume of my experiences with the business???

please help...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I had to create business plans for the stores we're doing... is that what you need?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I had to create business plans for the stores we're doing... is that what you need?
hey jb... would u mind sending me a sample??? i just need some ideas...
Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ I wish I could, but I can't b/c it's from the franchise and that info is only available to franchisees. If I was to remove all of that info, it would be pretty much blank

Since it doesn't sound like you would be doing a franchise, it should't be so hard. Some things we have in ours are:

List of Objectives - general statements about gross sales, business goals, etc.

Keys to success - again, general statements about what will give you the leg up, what kind of competition is in the area, etc.

Startup Summaries and List of expenses - this was easier for us b/c of the franchise concept, but you will want to list out what you expect the startup fees to be.

Description of product/service - basically list what will be available in your shop

Sales literature - brief paragraph about distributing flyers, coupons, and so on around the surrounding communities

Market Analysis Summary - THis is probably the largest section of our plan taking up about 3 pages. I have a small paragraph detailing the location (leasable square feet, location, positive features about the location which will help the business). I also have inserted pictures of renderings or actual pictures (depending if the plaza is built or is being built) as well as maps showing the trade area, demographics, household incomes, growth, etc. We also outline our target market.

Competative comparison - We did a detailed breakout of our competition... but just a paragraph on each. Listed the name, what they did, and how we expected them to compete with us since not all products overlap.

Competative Analysis - This builds on the comparison above. Here we actually list out the competition, then provide between 4 and 5 strengths and weaknesses for each. We don't talk about them in any way, that is done in the comparison. Here we just list out the facts regarding their strengths and weaknesses.

Marketing Strategy - how we plan to get our name and location(s) in front of people (newspaper ads, community flyers, etc).

Promotion Strategy - ties into Marketing, but more detailed. Outlines ideas we have for specific promotions to promote additional foot traffic (birthday specials, agreements with schools, etc).

Management Summary - outlines myself, my wife, as well as a good friend who's moving down to run the stores with us. Nothing really detailed, just says how the management will be setup at each store.

Organizational Structure - little blurb about the Board of Directors. Since it's an LLC owned wholly by myself and my wife, we're both listed as owners. We then list the law firm and accounting firm we've hired.

Management Team - Builds on the summary, but here we have a detailed writeup for myself, my wife, and my friend detailing our backgrounds, work history, and skills.

Personnel Plan - Lists how many employees we expect to have on payroll.

Important Assumptions - lists out where we got our info. For us, most of it was from other franchisees. Small paragraph listing standard business cycles, when it will be slow, when it will be busy, what is done to make sure sales are high all year long, etc.

Milestones - lists out everything form signing the franchise agreement, to signing leases, to hiring contractors to build the store, to buying equipment, and so on. This will probably be less detailed for you since it's not a franchise.

Hope that helps!!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ I wish I could, but I can't b/c it's from the franchise and that info is only available to franchisees. If I was to remove all of that info, it would be pretty much blank

Since it doesn't sound like you would be doing a franchise, it should't be so hard. Some things we have in ours are:

List of Objectives - general statements about gross sales, business goals, etc.

Keys to success - again, general statements about what will give you the leg up, what kind of competition is in the area, etc.

Startup Summaries and List of expenses - this was easier for us b/c of the franchise concept, but you will want to list out what you expect the startup fees to be.

Description of product/service - basically list what will be available in your shop

Sales literature - brief paragraph about distributing flyers, coupons, and so on around the surrounding communities

Market Analysis Summary - THis is probably the largest section of our plan taking up about 3 pages. I have a small paragraph detailing the location (leasable square feet, location, positive features about the location which will help the business). I also have inserted pictures of renderings or actual pictures (depending if the plaza is built or is being built) as well as maps showing the trade area, demographics, household incomes, growth, etc. We also outline our target market.

Competative comparison - We did a detailed breakout of our competition... but just a paragraph on each. Listed the name, what they did, and how we expected them to compete with us since not all products overlap.

Competative Analysis - This builds on the comparison above. Here we actually list out the competition, then provide between 4 and 5 strengths and weaknesses for each. We don't talk about them in any way, that is done in the comparison. Here we just list out the facts regarding their strengths and weaknesses.

Marketing Strategy - how we plan to get our name and location(s) in front of people (newspaper ads, community flyers, etc).

Promotion Strategy - ties into Marketing, but more detailed. Outlines ideas we have for specific promotions to promote additional foot traffic (birthday specials, agreements with schools, etc).

Management Summary - outlines myself, my wife, as well as a good friend who's moving down to run the stores with us. Nothing really detailed, just says how the management will be setup at each store.

Organizational Structure - little blurb about the Board of Directors. Since it's an LLC owned wholly by myself and my wife, we're both listed as owners. We then list the law firm and accounting firm we've hired.

Management Team - Builds on the summary, but here we have a detailed writeup for myself, my wife, and my friend detailing our backgrounds, work history, and skills.

Personnel Plan - Lists how many employees we expect to have on payroll.

Important Assumptions - lists out where we got our info. For us, most of it was from other franchisees. Small paragraph listing standard business cycles, when it will be slow, when it will be busy, what is done to make sure sales are high all year long, etc.

Milestones - lists out everything form signing the franchise agreement, to signing leases, to hiring contractors to build the store, to buying equipment, and so on. This will probably be less detailed for you since it's not a franchise.

Hope that helps!!
thanks jb... anyone else have any other thoughts??
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nail salon?