Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Do you like to pay off debts?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by cabanalane
You may think so, but I find it educational. You offered some good insights. Thank you. If this is ridiculous, stay out of it.

And coming from a Senior Moderator - my next thread is asking if members would like a Root Canal?

Do you think I would waste people's time like that?
Dude, it was a joke.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
In my defense, I don't have kids!! Otherwise I'd be in just as much debt
And truthfully I have very little debt. I have my mortgage which I will assume I will have for a long time but other than that I have one car payment which will be paid off in July. I have no credit card debt and haven't for at least 15 years (I paid the price of paying minimum payments back in the early 90s and will never do it again).

It's all about priorities. The time value of money has a huge (I can not stress that enough) impact on what I do with my money.

My goals right now are retirement and saving for kid's education (3 of them). Investing now and letting that money grow is far more important than paying off a $500 a month car loan.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I love living beyond my means! Debt FTMFW! I'll just claim bankruptcy and/or walk away from my home when I can't manage the payments.

In all seriousness, I'm a fan of reducing the number of "monthly payments" I have. I value this more than anything else. If I can pay something off ahead of schedule...minus the interest free deals here and there...I do. The less going out means the more I can save...and the more I can save means the more I can use some of this to buy things outright and possibly invest for the future (though other than retirement, I'm a newb and scared to try!). And, in the case of an employment disaster, the less that goes out means the farther my savings will stretch.

The only things I have hanging over my head are a mortgage and student loans, which I'm working on.

Like I've said before, I vote pay off the car loan as quickly as you can...without completely exhausting your finances.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
And truthfully I have very little debt. I have my mortgage which I will assume I will have for a long time but other than that I have one car payment which will be paid off in July. I have no credit card debt and haven't for at least 15 years (I paid the price of paying minimum payments back in the early 90s and will never do it again).

It's all about priorities. The time value of money has a huge (I can not stress that enough) impact on what I do with my money.

My goals right now are retirement and saving for kid's education (3 of them). Investing now and letting that money grow is far more important than paying off a $500 a month car loan.
I couldn't agree more. I paid cash for my 911.

I have a 7 figure "loan" on my home at 4.625% fixed for 30 years. That's pretty damn impressive. In our lifetime we may never see interest rates for large jumbo loans at lower rates.

I looked into a 15 year loan but quite honestly it would tie up a lot of money that could be invested in other areas. Over the past 4 years alone, I have invested in 2 vehicles that took advantage of ridiculous state and federal income tax credit based on technology and clean energy credits that allowed me to be state income tax free for 8 years and take a $46K federal income tax deduction from Obama's energy credit for 2011.

Also, I would be having to do Botox 24/7 and probably no longer be in my 30s by the time I had saved enough "cash" to pay off my home.

I maximize my IRA/pension every single year since I started practicing.

My portfolio has been doing well of late, bolstered by some moves into the small and mid-cap sector. How long this ride will last is anyone's gues but rain-or-shine I always subscribe to dollar cost averaging.

I look at the money I invest in the market every month as "fixed" overhead.

I would love to be in a position to have paid off my home outright but I live by the ocean on a tiny island and real estate is a luxury to put it bluntly.

Last edited by Dr. Colorado; 02-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

But I really want a C6 vert now but I'm sure I'll be practical and wait until I feel like I have my kid's school funding in order before I pull the trigger.

I just don't want to wake up when my oldest is 18 and say OMFG I don't have the money to put you through school.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

But I really want a C6 vert now but I'm sure I'll be practical and wait until I feel like I have my kid's school funding in order before I pull the trigger.

I just don't want to wake up when my oldest is 18 and say OMFG I don't have the money to put you through school.
Sheeit I gots no wife and no kids. Better get the F-car and boat before it's too late
Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
Sheeit I gots no wife and no kids. Better get the F-car and boat before it's too late
hurry up and do it.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I'm always worried about our future. The money is there but if things change (and in this market you have no clue) I want to be prepared.

Will I be miserable not having a toy? Meh, it's not a big deal to me.

Who know, when I hit 50, maybe the F-car will be a reality.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
hurry up and do it.
Don't tempt me

Yeah I'm always worried about our future. The money is there but if things change (and in this market you have no clue) I want to be prepared.

Will I be miserable not having a toy? Meh, it's not a big deal to me.

Who know, when I hit 50, maybe the F-car will be a reality.

Yeah, always save for a rainy day for sure.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Don't tempt me
Dont think, just do.

I'll fly to the island to get a ride.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
dont think, just do.

I'll fly to the island to get a ride.
:d
Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by dmikon
Paying cash for a car is attainable for the majority of people. Say you drive a TL now, and you have a 5 year loan at X%. You will pay it off at some point in the future. When you do, keep making those payments to yourself in a savings account for another 5 years. Then, BAM, you can buy your next TL with cash and even have money left over.
That's my scheme: $400/month to savings and cash for car in X years. I do a lot of 'investing' with some of this money and it can grow rapidly (especially with Silver now). I usually pay cash for a new car every 8 years and still have a great balance afterwards for other things that come up.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Some food for thought for our esteemed forum members regarding low interest mortgages in an inflationary environment.

Did you know that your mortgage may not be as expensive as you think it is? It’s true. If you have a mortgage with a fixed interest rate, which holds your payment constant, your mortgage is cheaper than you think it is.
Why?
Inflation.
For example…
Say you take out a 30-year $200,000 mortgage at a fixed rate of 6.5%. Your monthly payment would be $1,264.14. Your total payments over the life of this mortgage would be $455,089 of which $255,089 would go to pay interest. However, that’s not entirely accurate because we aren’t factoring in inflation.
Normally when we talk about inflation, we talk about the gradual decrease in the purchasing power of a dollar. Although inflation works to our disadvantage when it comes to purchasing power, the opposite is true when it comes to paying off a mortgage (or pretty much any type of loan).
If inflation averages 3% per year, in 10 years, the $1,264.14 payment would have about $941 in purchasing power. In other words, had the mortgage payment increased with the inflation rate, the payment would be nearly $1,700 per month. However, the mortgage payment is still just $1,264.14.
I put together a spreadsheet to calculate the inflation-adjusted cost of the mortgage used in this example. To make the calculation I simply discounted each payment by the periodic inflation rate, which was .2466%. Then I summed all the discounted payments to arrive at the inflation-adjusted cost of the mortgage. The formula for discounting a payment (also called a cashflow) looks like this:
Payment ÷ (1 + i)n
where:
Payment = $1,264.14
i = inflation rate of 3% or .03 raised to 1/12 since there are 12 payments per year
n = number of the payment
So, the first discounted cashflow looks like this:
$1,264.14 ÷ (1 + .002466)1
$1,264.14 ÷ 1.002466
$1,261.03
This calculation is really easy to perform with the aid of a spreadsheet. Anyway, I came up with an inflation-adjusted total cost of $301,398 for this mortgage compared to $455,089 before the inflation adjustment.
The bottom line: mortgages aren’t as expensive as we think they are after we figure in the effects of inflation. This is especially important to think about when trying to decide between renting or buying. What are the chances of not facing a rent increase over 30 years?

4.625% 30 year fixed 7 figure jumbo loan sounds pretty good in an inflationary environment
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
4.625% 30 year fixed 7 figure jumbo loan sounds pretty good in an inflationary environment

Awesome post - but really any loan is good to have in an inflationary environment. But overall, it's best to pay them off.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pete2010
Awesome post - but really any loan is good to have in an inflationary environment. But overall, it's best to pay them off.
Absolutely. But, combine the fixed loan with a 40% tax deduction for moi on my mortgage interest and it's not a bad fiscal strategy. Plus, it allowed me to make investments that required substantial minimum principal cash. Most importantly, it allows me to live close to the beach LOL.

So did you get the Hublot yet?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Absolutely. But, combine the fixed loan with a 40% tax deduction for moi on my mortgage interest and it's not a bad fiscal strategy. Plus, it allowed me to make investments that required substantial minimum principal cash. Most importantly, it allows me to live close to the beach LOL.

So did you get the Hublot yet?
Well Hawaii does kick ass... No Hublot yet, still trying to track down the one I want (hopefully used). Seems like many don't come on the market often, but I've got my feelers out there. Business has been good, so I figured I start by paying off my student loans and my car payment. Mortgage is my only debt now, and 30 year fixed at 4%, no rush to pay that off, i like the deduction.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Cool man. U gotta meet up with us in Vegas or Hawaii. U will like my boys all cool guys like yourself.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Yes inflation rewards debtors over savers who don't allocate their savings properly.

But be careful if you're looking forward to inflation, because incomes don't always match inflation rates. Unemployment also goes up so people have a much higher chance of defaulting on their low-cost mortgages. Home prices will lag inflation because fewer people can afford the increased payments do to nominal price increases, interest rates in double-digits, and higher than normal unemployment. So inflation does have some drawbacks too.

I think inflation mostly rewards huge debtors like the U.S. government- at this point the government is keeping rates real low so the payments can be made- eventually it's going to need to inflate its way out of this mess it's in.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
But be careful if you're looking forward to inflation, because incomes don't always match inflation rates. ....
Overall, wages have been lagging inflation for something like 20 years, if not more.

Some postulate this is the reason for high individual debt: that to maintain your current lifestyle (all else equal), you cannot fund it by wages. Therefore, you fund it by debt.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes inflation rewards debtors over savers who don't allocate their savings properly.

But be careful if you're looking forward to inflation, because incomes don't always match inflation rates. Unemployment also goes up so people have a much higher chance of defaulting on their low-cost mortgages. Home prices will lag inflation because fewer people can afford the increased payments do to nominal price increases, interest rates in double-digits, and higher than normal unemployment. So inflation does have some drawbacks too.

I think inflation mostly rewards huge debtors like the U.S. government- at this point the government is keeping rates real low so the payments can be made- eventually it's going to need to inflate its way out of this mess it's in.
True. My point is that the disadvantages of a mortgage are not so cut and dry as spending a dollar to save a quarter. There are many other tangible rewards for home ownership as well such as building equity and I'd rather have a mortgage than pay rent. As I alluded to earlier, in my town to save enough cash to buy the home I covet is the fiscal equivalent of scaling Everest.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Overall, wages have been lagging inflation for something like 20 years, if not more.

Some postulate this is the reason for high individual debt: that to maintain your current lifestyle (all else equal), you cannot fund it by wages. Therefore, you fund it by debt.
True.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,662 Likes on 13,898 Posts
To answer the original question: Hell yes. I'm ...I hate debt.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Debt. A necessary evil for most people, but if properly managed it is easily workable. I see a tremendous amount of people all the time living well beyond their means. I've noticed that people have a sense of entitlement nowadays, and feel they are deserving of luxury items, expensive homes, month long vacations, and expensive outings. There is nothing wrong with those things, as long as they can be afforded. But going to dinner, paying with it with a credit card, and then paying off the card with a credit line secured against the home is just foolish. Unfortunately, things such as this happen on a regular basis.

I think most people understandably have some sort of debt for a home, car, or education, but this isn't a bad thing if it's respected as debt and must be serviced. That it's money owed to someone or an institution, and it needs to paid.

Personally, I hated debt. My reasons are twofold. First, I was raised in an environment to despise debt. Debt should only be used for the necessities and nothing else. Secondly, I have been poor once before, and my debts piled up. Many years ago when I was starting out I would have to go to my landlord for regular extensions. He understood, and I always paid him back. I swore, however, I would never be in that position ever again. When I started my business many years ago I took two extra jobs just to pay off the mortgage sooner. Eighteen hour days for many years. Today that company, worth into the seven figures, carries no debt. Neither does my home or other assets. Now that the market is softening in Canada we'll probably pick up additional revenue properties, and we'll most likely leverage to do so, but at 2.5% and tax deductible it wouldn't be prudent not to. This is an instance where borrowed money is cheaper than using your own if your own funds are structured for maximum returns. Not having debt has allowed me to live as I want and has given me security. It's a situation I do not take lightly.

In short, I think debt is a tool. Nothing more. Use it wisely and it can be advantageous. Use it unwisely and it becomes a lingering beast that's hard to get rid of. If you have debt, work to reduce it. Again, having debt doesn't necessarily mean you're doing nothing wrong. Not accepting responsibility for it is however.

Terry

Last edited by teranfon; 02-19-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Sweet!

Hmm. After reading some responses here, I'm starting to have a change in how I'm thinking about this. Not in paying off debts, but debt priority.

Here's my situation. Of course, this could completely change in the future..but I'm looking at it in the "here and now."

I have a mortgage and a couple of student loans. They are prioritized by interest rate...so student loan 1, then mortgage, then student loan 2.

In order to pay off student loan 1 within a reasonable amount of time (10-15 years instead of the 25-30 the payment schedule is set up as), I have to devote a good amount of my available income towards it (double the monthly payment more or less).

However, this means that I won't be able to avoid an auto loan in the future (as much as I'd like to think my TSX will last forever...I'm going to need a new car some day).

Should I be divoting all of my resources towards paying down a student loan only to have to take out an auto loan 5-10 years down the road? Or should I reduce what I'm putting towards the student loan in order to save for that next car?

Student loan is better than auto loan since there is a tax benefit .
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thunder04
Hmm. After reading some responses here, I'm starting to have a change in how I'm thinking about this. Not in paying off debts, but debt priority.

Here's my situation. Of course, this could completely change in the future..but I'm looking at it in the "here and now."

I have a mortgage and a couple of student loans. They are prioritized by interest rate...so student loan 1, then mortgage, then student loan 2.

In order to pay off student loan 1 within a reasonable amount of time (10-15 years instead of the 25-30 the payment schedule is set up as), I have to devote a good amount of my available income towards it (double the monthly payment more or less).

However, this means that I won't be able to avoid an auto loan in the future (as much as I'd like to think my TSX will last forever...I'm going to need a new car some day).

Should I be divoting all of my resources towards paying down a student loan only to have to take out an auto loan 5-10 years down the road? Or should I reduce what I'm putting towards the student loan in order to save for that next car?

With no interest rates given, you're not going to get the best advice for your situation. Assuming you can hold off on another car for 5 years or more you have lots of options. I personally would dump excess savings into silver coins and SLV i-shares and I am doing that very thing now. Silver will appreciate far greater than almost anything else you can do. My one year price target for Silver is $50 an ounce and it's currently at $32.

You might want to reference the 'Gold' thread and read about my reasons for this because there is a camp of people that think this is a bubble and you might want to read what they say.

So far I have been making a handsome profit with this technique and anyone who has taken this advice the last year would have too. All types of funds are going into Silver for me: kids college funds, car funds, and even 401K funds. The SLV i-share was up over 8% this week alone and 83% since last May- try to find another investment making that type of return.
There are certain market and economic fundamentals that make this a no-brainer to me.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Personally, I would focus on the student loan with the highest interest rate. The basic rule of thumb is to pay off first whatever is charging you the highest interest rate. Unless the money you hold back to save for a new car is earning you more than the rate on the student loan, there is no reason not to pay off the loans first.

I think you are absolutely correct to think of debt priority in your current situation. You may also find that as you pay off more of your student loans, your TSX may last longer than you think. Focus on current debt now, worry about acquiring future debt only when it is absolutely necessary.

Terry
Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Sweet!

With no interest rates given, you're not going to get the best advice for your situation. Assuming you can hold off on another car for 5 years or more you have lots of options.
I see myself with the TSX for at least another 5 years easy...unless repair costs become too costly (but, since I do most things myself, I don't see this being too much of a worry).

If it helps any: student loan 1 is 6.625%, mortgage is 5.875%, and student loan 2 is 4.75%

I may have to start looking into investing. I've always been afraid of locking money up with no guarantee that I'll get it back...but as the saying goes "no pain, no gain."

Originally Posted by teranfon
Personally, I would focus on the student loan with the highest interest rate. The basic rule of thumb is to pay off first whatever is charging you the highest interest rate. Unless the money you hold back to save for a new car is earning you more than the rate on the student loan, there is no reason not to pay off the loans first.

I think you are absolutely correct to think of debt priority in your current situation. You may also find that as you pay off more of your student loans, your TSX may last longer than you think. Focus on current debt now, worry about acquiring future debt only when it is absolutely necessary.
Hmm. You do make a good point. Unless I go out of my comfort zone of my 2.5% interest bearing checking account...the money I'm saving would not even come close to the interest rate of any of my loans.

Definitely things to think about...

Sorry for the hijack!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hmm. You do make a good point. Unless I go out of my comfort zone of my 2.5% interest bearing checking account...the money I'm saving would not even come close to the interest rate of any of my loans.

Definitely things to think about...

Sorry for the hijack!

What is the current inflation rate in America? Around 2%? In that case, the money in your checking account is making you basically nothing. The interest being paid on your loans, however, is still there. I would reduce debt first. Anyway, just my old guy .

Terry
Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
What is the current inflation rate in America? Around 2%? In that case, the money in your checking account is making you basically nothing. The interest being paid on your loans, however, is still there. I would reduce debt first. Anyway, just my old guy .

Terry
Yup. You should save/invest instead of paying off debt quicker only if the return on the savings/investments is greater than the negative return from the debt. Only exception is saving for a short term necessity, or an emergency fund.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dmikon
Paying cash for a car is attainable for the majority of people. Say you drive a TL now, and you have a 5 year loan at X%. You will pay it off at some point in the future. When you do, keep making those payments to yourself in a savings account for another 5 years. Then, BAM, you can buy your next TL with cash and even have money left over.
I've just never liked the idea of tying that much cash up into a depreciating asset. I guess my point is, luxury automobiles are a hard expense to justify for most people, especially when you start talking about plunking down $40-50k cash. I guess if you had major bucks in the bank, like $500,000+, it would be of little consequence to pay cash for a car like that, but being that I don't have anywhere near that much, I'd rather have that cash the bank and make payments at 0.9% like I am.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
I've just never liked the idea of tying that much cash up into a depreciating asset. I guess my point is, luxury automobiles are a hard expense to justify for most people, especially when you start talking about plunking down $40-50k cash. I guess if you had major bucks in the bank, like $500,000+, it would be of little consequence to pay cash for a car like that, but being that I don't have anywhere near that much, I'd rather have that cash the bank and make payments at 0.9% like I am.
If you don't like spending so much cash on a depreciating asset, why would you instead like to borrow money and pay it off with interest to buy said asset? You end up paying even more.

If $40-50k is too much cash for you, then don't buy a $40k-50k car. It's not like if you finance it the price will become lower. That type of thinking is one of the reasons our country has so many people with financial problems - they finance a lifestyle they cannot afford. After all, $600 a month sure sounds a lot cheaper than $35,000.

If you buy a car once every ten years, and choose a $20,000 car over, say a $45,000 car, and invest the difference every time, after 30 years, assuming an average growth at 8% you will end up with an extra $420,000. Then you can buy all your $50k+ cars in cash for the rest of your life without even touching your other assets.

By the way, 0.9% loans and such are a bit of an exception. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you can instead invest the money at a higher guaranteed interest rate elsewhere, by all means finance away.