Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Denied credit... Question

Old 03-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Denied credit... Question

Okay, I applied for a new CC because I wanted some rewards. Now, I was denied an account because:

1. Current balances on existing/revolving accounts are too high

How can this be? All my credit balances have $0.00 balances except my CC which I use all the time but pay in full each month. I don't quite understand this.

I'm requesting a free credit report......

Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe revolving accounts are car loans or installment loans?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't make sense...

I'd get a copy of your report to see what's up.

EDIT: Was that one card you use at it's limit anytime recently? That's the only thing I can think of.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Sounds like you've been by fraud...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Tuxedo Cat

They're going to look at your average balance over the past three months, if I recall correctly.

Paying it off in full doesn't cause them to see a zero balance.

Also, they can and do pay attention to things other than credit card balances, which include the balances on installment loans.

Generally speaking, the more rewards they give you, the tighter the standards are likely to be.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think car loans count the same as a credit card. Do you have a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) or did you sign up for any "No Payments/No Interest" programs at any stores? Those are still considered credit and will count against you. Also, many of the "reasons" they give are so generic that they don't always help. Find out which credit agency they pulled your report from (Experian, Equifax or Transunion). I checked my scores recently and found that one of them was nearly 100 points below the other two since they don't always get the same data. Good luck sorting this out.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by moeronn
I don't think car loans count the same as a credit card.
Installment loans aren't counted in the same way, but they are counted.

And I agree, the explaination is often extremely generic and not particularly helpful.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,173 Posts
meh, just lie on the app and say you make 50k more than you really do.

When I was 18 I had CC with limits of $1000 or less.
I found one with an application that said "total household income". I said, hmm, they must mean my parents too . Bam, card with 15k limit. Oyeah, I applied for a normal card and they sent me a gold card. I almost sh!t myself.

Last edited by doopstr; 03-10-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by moeronn
I don't think car loans count the same as a credit card. Do you have a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) or did you sign up for any "No Payments/No Interest" programs at any stores? Those are still considered credit and will count against you. Also, many of the "reasons" they give are so generic that they don't always help. Find out which credit agency they pulled your report from (Experian, Equifax or Transunion). I checked my scores recently and found that one of them was nearly 100 points below the other two since they don't always get the same data. Good luck sorting this out.
Good points. HELOCS and some store cards count as revolving debt.

And yes, all three bureaus can have highly different scores...almost too often you see a 50 or 100 point discrepancy.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:09 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
maybe too many cards?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Okay, I checked my credit. It says all 3 of my revolving accounts are in good standing , with two of them at $0 (a gas card and military credit card). My other card (Citibank) I use all the time has some money, but I always pay it off in full each month. I have one car loan that is paid ontime, every month (the CL-S). I just paid off another car. I have NEVER missed a payment, EVER (even my report says that).

So I'm still confused about getting denied credit? Oh, btw, I bought and paid for a FICO score through experian... 800.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Okay, I checked my credit. It says all 3 of my revolving accounts are in good standing , with two of them at $0 (a gas card and military credit card). My other card (Citibank) I use all the time has some money, but I always pay it off in full each month. I have one car loan that is paid ontime, every month (the CL-S). I just paid off another car. I have NEVER missed a payment, EVER (even my report says that).

So I'm still confused about getting denied credit? Oh, btw, I bought and paid for a FICO score through experian... 800.
They might have made a mistake. Ask them to check further. Revolving credit is credit that is consider credit that you have taken that will never be paid off. Like u moving balances from one card to another repeatly. I currently have that problem so I am trying really hard to pay of the cards. They don't want to give you more credit because they are scared you will add to the revolving credit. But since you checked and got such a high score on FICO then they must have made a mistake. Call it in and explain that you have a high score. I suggest doing this because they are getting information from somewhere and apparently it is wrong. This wrong info will be a pain later on if you wanted to take a big loan or something.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Tuxedo Cat

I'm going to be a little more pessimistic here.

It's possible the "reason" you were given was just a "catch all" that is given out to just about everybody. They may be concerned about income levels, or maybe they don't WANT customers who pay off in full every month, but they don't want to tell you "we're not giving you a card because we think you won't be a very valuable customer," so they use some other blanket reason.

In my experience, the no-fee, high-benefits cards tend to do everything possible to avoid customers who won't run up finance charges and other fees.

Remember, you don't have a right to a credit card from any organization. They can't discriminate against you because of race, religion, etc., but it's perfectly legal for them to randomly deny, or deny for all sorts of reasons that aren't necessarily supported by your credit score.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's possible they screwed up. Call the CC company and ask why you were denied. Maybe a real human can get it sorted out for you.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Screw them. If their guidelines are too stringent for someone with obvious good credit then send your business somewhere else. You could send a letter too and you might get a response from the cust. service dept.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:49 AM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

Originally Posted by dabuda
i believe revolving accounts are car loans or installment loans?
No, because the term "revolving" means you can draw from the credit line, pay it back and use the same amount of availability again.

Car loans and other installment loans are amortizing term loans that do not revolve but have fixed principal and interest payments for a period of time.