Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Credit Card Debt - Paying it back

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by TzarChasm
Fair enough, maybe I am a little sensitive to the issue because my GF's father recently slipped in a hotel in Mexico and cracked his head open, it cost him $15,000 cash up front (which he put on a credit card) in order to save his life for long enough to get him to a hospital in the US.

He was not someone used to carrying a balance either, so Miz making a comment about how he can always afford to pay his off, rubbed me the wrong way, because he is lucky, and may not always be so lucky.
A circumstance when you are financially hit unexpectedly is definitely a dire situation and you must use any means necessary to over come it. Hopefully he will regain his health asap. There is nothing more important in life than health.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I have a bit of cc debt as well. I use to pay everything off in full but 5 years ago we lost a lot in selling our condo and 3 years ago we took another hit when I got laid off. I have done balance transfers to keep the interest rates to 0%-1.99%. Right now it is almost gone.

It takes work. I allocate a part of my monthly salary to paying it off. I usually do about 4x to 5x the minimum. You will never pay off your debt with minimum payments. Just won't happen.

OP - I assume your sister is about your age +- 3 years? Tell her get a second job. Tell her wait tables, tend bar, do something to make larger payments. I know it's not easy but a lot of us have had 2 jobs.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Traveler's insurance?
That's a joke and a half. The literature there is so fine scripted that it's almost impossible to meet its conditions. A good insurance is the one that heals first and ask questions later, in some utopia world.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I have a bit of cc debt as well. I use to pay everything off in full but 5 years ago we lost a lot in selling our condo and 3 years ago we took another hit when I got laid off. I have done balance transfers to keep the interest rates to 0%-1.99%. Right now it is almost gone.

It takes work. I allocate a part of my monthly salary to paying it off. I usually do about 4x to 5x the minimum. You will never pay off your debt with minimum payments. Just won't happen.

OP - I assume your sister is about your age +- 3 years? Tell her get a second job. Tell her wait tables, tend bar, do something to make larger payments. I know it's not easy but a lot of us have had 2 jobs.
Bingo!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze
Years ago, I got myself into credit card debt on several cards. I ended up paying the minimums on all of them to keep my credit score up. I was sent a credit card offer with a 1.9% rate on transfers for the life of the loan. Needless to say I jumped on that offer and transferred all of my debt on to the one card and paid off the debt in 3+ years.

The key is to not use credit cards at all. Only spend money you actually have so tighten up the budget by cutting out unnecessary crap. You can get out of debt but you have to discipline yourself. I didn't have to cut up my cards, I just had to learn how to use them correctly. As far as I'm concerned, they're a 30 day loan.
I pretty much use one card only: My discover card. It earns me cashback every time I use it, so I actually MAKE money (or save depending on how you look at it). I pay it off in full every month.

a) I'm making money (gas and cashback bonuses)
b) I'm building up my credit history
c) I'm building up my credit limit in case it's ever needed.

Not using any credit cards could hurt you if you ever need to borrow large amounts of money and they are unable to evaluate your credit history.

Paying off your bills on time help your credit
paying off large loans really helps your credit
not having a larger amount of available credit than you should, helps (i.e not having multiple credit cards, multiple lines of credit, etc that you could all max out on at any given moment)
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Debt is shitty - while I don't have problems with Credit Cards, my law school loans are going to haunt me for quite some time, so I know how frustrating it can be knowing that a percentage of your paycheck is essentially used to fill the hole that's beneath your feet.

If you're lucky enough to not have that "hole beneath your feet" more power to you, but the vast majority of people in this shitty economy have that problem.

Best advice is to make life changes - even simple ones will help. (I personally stopped eating out - I used to eat out 5-7 times a week, which would cost anywhere from $60-120.)

Honestly, force your sister to watch/listen to Suzy Orman; I know she comes off as a bitch, but she really does know how to help people manage their finances.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Traveler's insurance?

Health insurance for traveling is a good idea, but few actually use it. Also, while it might be fine to wait to get in contact with a rep if you break your leg, it does not matter when you are bleeding out on a table and they need money before they will lift a finger. Some countries might be willing to do the work on faith, Mexico is not one of them apparently.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Debt is shitty - while I don't have problems with Credit Cards, my law school loans are going to haunt me for quite some time, so I know how frustrating it can be knowing that a percentage of your paycheck is essentially used to fill the hole that's beneath your feet.

If you're lucky enough to not have that "hole beneath your feet" more power to you, but the vast majority of people in this shitty economy have that problem.

Best advice is to make life changes - even simple ones will help. (I personally stopped eating out - I used to eat out 5-7 times a week, which would cost anywhere from $60-120.)

Honestly, force your sister to watch/listen to Suzy Orman; I know she comes off as a bitch, but she really does know how to help people manage their finances.
+1 for listening to Suzy Orman. She really knows her stuff and gives good financial advise.
Her show on CNBC is fun to watch once in a while. It's not what a person makes - it's what you spend.