Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Article on Money Market Funds that might interest you....

Old 01-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Article on Money Market Funds that might interest you....

.....do your due diligence.

From MSN:

Your 'safe' money isn't so safe

Did you abandon the roiling stock market for the security of a money market fund? Gulp -- the mortgage mess has probably put your investments there at risk, too.

By Jon Markman

(excerpt)
"If you don't believe it, I don't blame you. This hasn't received much attention. And brokerages neither make it easy for investors to discover what their money market funds are invested in nor make it a snap to switch into safer funds.

Yet a little detective work reveals that the 4.5%-plus annual yields on money market funds -- where most of the cash in brokerage accounts resides -- doesn't come from rock-solid U.S. Treasury bonds or bank certificates of deposit. Instead, the yields have been generated by a relatively new brand of mortgage-focused investment companies called structured investment vehicles, or SIVs, that lately have been withering in value."

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...sntSoSafe.aspx

Disclosure: I am a FINRA Securities Registered Rep/Investment advisor and Life Agent. I will not be held liable for advice taken as a result of my postings on the Acurazine Forum.

Please consult your CPA or Tax Advisor regarding any Tax Issues. For further Financial Planning assistance, please consult your Financial Advisor. If you'd like assistance, please feel free to PM me so I may follow up with you via work in a more professional and secure manner.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by special-ed
.....do your due diligence.

Hey Mr. FINRA, you do realize not a single money market fund has broken the buck right? "Enhanced" cash funds have had some need for capital because of the SIV debacle, but they are not in the same class.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Just saying......

'Buck-breaking' money market mutual fund returns initial $26B

On Sept. 16, the rapid sell-off of assets caused the value of fund assets to fall to 97 cents for each investor dollar put in — the first instance in 14 years of a money-market mutual fund "breaking the buck," or having its per-share value fall below $

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...ket-fund_N.htm