Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

VA Dealership Obligations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA Dealership Obligations?

Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2014 Acura ILX. It's been about 2 weeks and I still have not received my plates from the DMV so I called the dealership and asked them if there were any problems. They said they are waiting for me to get the emissions test done and send it to them. When I bought the car, the told me that there is nothing for me to do and I should have my plates soon.

My question is are used dealerships in VA required to do an emissions test before selling their vehicles? This dealership has given me problems since I first spoke with the sales person a few days before I bought the car.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by rgm109stw
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2014 Acura ILX. It's been about 2 weeks and I still have not received my plates from the DMV so I called the dealership and asked them if there were any problems. They said they are waiting for me to get the emissions test done and send it to them. When I bought the car, the told me that there is nothing for me to do and I should have my plates soon.

My question is are used dealerships in VA required to do an emissions test before selling their vehicles? This dealership has given me problems since I first spoke with the sales person a few days before I bought the car.
Generally you should be told upfront if they are going to perform it or not if they are registering the car for you, check your bill of sale. Most small dealers do not have the equipment or mechanics to run these inspections. They usually perform a safety inspection before sale for a buyers piece of mind but tend to not perform an emissions until the car is sold.

Not a big deal just take to local shop and have emissions done pay $26 and get those ass clowns in your rear view mirror as quick as possible.

I do have to admit it seems pretty shady they did not perform it and I make all my purchases contingent on an emissions test pass. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi I'm a Honda master tech in va and a state inspector and emission inspector and a shop foreman at a local dealership , the law in Virginia requires every person or dealer selling a car to get it through a safety inspection ONLY not emissions , the emission test is on the buyer unless the car was tested for emissions within the last 90 days before it was sold then DMV will not ask for an emissions test. if you want to check if an emissions test was done on that vehicle and when (no longer than 90 days ) you can enter the vin on this website , its the DEQ website , and you can print it and take it to dmv if its still within 90 days https://www.virginiavip.org/PublicSi...cleLookup.aspx

and its 28$$ if you fail you get a free retest within 14 days
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@kotomoto I bought a car in VA from a private residence. The inspection sticker runs out this month , i will get it inspected no problem but I have heard from an inspection station that if the emissions are current (about a year plus into them) this is ok and i dont need to get emissions inspection done before going to the DMV to get my title and plates and their computer will have a record of it. i am using the sellers plates w/her permission and she and i both have insurance on it currently since it lives at my house now but the plates are hers (she is a workmate and a nice person) .Is this correct or do i need to do emissions before going to DMV?

Thank you
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by opimax
@kotomoto I bought a car in VA from a private residence. The inspection sticker runs out this month , i will get it inspected no problem but I have heard from an inspection station that if the emissions are current (about a year plus into them) this is ok and i dont need to get emissions inspection done before going to the DMV to get my title and plates and their computer will have a record of it. i am using the sellers plates w/her permission and she and i both have insurance on it currently since it lives at my house now but the plates are hers (she is a workmate and a nice person) .Is this correct or do i need to do emissions before going to DMV?

Thank you
What you were told about the emission is correct but you will not be able to get the registration for the full 2 years of course. Also, VA DMV recognizes emissions from some other states as well so as long as you can produce the emission report if its not in the system you would be fine with using that report to register the car.

Not sure what the part of her plates has to do with any of this but the inspection goes with the car not the driver so plates are immaterial. Personally i would suggest, for both of your benefits to swap over registration asap you are getting into some sketchy stuff here with plates and double insurance and coverage.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plates were referenced as the date the emissions were done. I am doing my best to get my plates . I should have both inspections tonight and after a day of vacation away form home tomorrow I will be at the DMV at 230 on Thursday, thx for all the info!