Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

Beware of pohanka acura in chantilly

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Beware of pohanka acura in chantilly

I believe I have been a part of a dealership service scamming. I have heard of dealerships setting up cars out of warrenty to fail when you come in for service, so that you would come back for more service.

I had taken my car into Pohanka Acura of Chantilly, VA on Sunday 6/28/09 4pm, for an oil change and transmission fluid change. I had never noticed any oil leak since I had gotten the car(3 years). When It was done, I had taken the car back and parked it in front of the house. After about 6 hrs, I moved my car and had noticed a puddle of oil, so I look under my car and I noticed it was dripping transmission oil, a drop every minute or so. I thought it could have been residue oil dripping, so I kept an eye on it and monitored it to the next day till end of my work, and it was still leaking.

So, Monday night after work, I called Pohanka Acura and spoke with the guy that had serviced me, his name was Dan Burns. I told him about the leak and he tells me that there was a leak before I had brought in the car, but forgot to mention it while I was there.(Why would he not notify me soon as it is detected, since transmission is a important part of the car) Then he tells me he knows exactly where the leak is coming from. He said he noticed there had been transmission work done on it, and I should contact the dealer that had done the transmission work before(I had a 3rd gear recall work done on the transmission over a year ago, @ 30k miles before this incident.) So I call the dealer that had done the recall work but they said they don’t cover any work over 1 year or 12k miles.

So I was pretty upset at the situation, and decide lift my car up with a jack stand and go check my self where the leak was coming from. The first thing I checked was the drain plug of the transmission, and it was LOOSE and I was able to turn it with my hand. I tightened the drain plug with a wrench and as you would expect, there is NO MORE LEAK. Remember, right before I had lifted the car, there was a noticeable leak, a dropplet would accumulate every minute or so before a drop. I left a clean sheet of paper towel underneath where it used to drop to catch if there is any leak over night, and I check the next morning and the paper towel was clean.

So today(Tuesday) I call back Pohanka Acura, and speak with Dan, because he had said he knew where the leak was coming from, and asked him where it was. And he continues to lie and says that its leaking from the hondabond seal they had used when I had my recall work done, when there had been no leak after I had tighten the drain bolt. This fraudulent act only leads me to believe that they had set up the car to fail so that they will get more work.

There are others that have received shady work from Pohanka Acura Chantilly. Read the reviews for your selves. And please warn everyone you know about pohanka.
http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Po...ra-review-253/
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
There is a TL & GL in

Thats good to know especially since i am in area. I got some ties in radley so i dont expect that to happen to me. Let me know if i can do anything for you, ill talk to my friend over at radley.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the second thread in the last couple months about them. I never knew they were like that I always thought they were one of the best. Sad cuz my GF's cousin is a master mechanic there but I know he's on the straight and narrow.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You should recieve a call about your service within the next day or so and let them know. I have been to pohanka for minor stuff and haven't had a bad experience. I think it is really hit or miss situation with all dealerships in that the service advisor and tech are the ones who will determine your experience. If you search around I am sure you will find bad reviews about Radely, Pohanka and more.

I do most of the work on my car and aviod the dealerships unless I can get it covered under warranty. If your car is out of warranty and need a shop to take it to I can recommend one off rt 29 that is honest, fair priced and does excellent work.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Yeah i did get a call for a follow up on the service, i told them it was bad and then the guy kinda put me on hold and them tried to get a real brief explanation and just said i will let the manager know and hung up on me. didnt really let me explain what happened. so again that was another shady act by them. yeah i usually do my own work but i was out town,(i live out in fredericksburg) and i needed an oil change so i was like what the heck and just got the oil change.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 PM

hmmmm... can this be the reason y im having a leak too/..... coz i service with them all the timee.. better check that out.. all i thought it was the AC, but there was a lil bit of oill.. gotta check that out
Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
i know this is kind of far from NoVA, but we have a dealership here in Gaithersburg, MD called Rosenthal Acura... from my experience, they dont fuck around and get the work done right... my old TSX was serviced there all the time, and everytime it went there they did everything just like it needed to be done, w/o screwing around...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
As with any dealership, you're going to see varying experiences from varying people who worked with different service personnel.

Having worked with folks at both Radley and Pohanka now, I can honestly say that when you get a good service writer, you are less likely to have issues and if you get one of the bad apples (I have had some atrocious experiences with certain personnel at Radley, for instance) it can totally ruin your experience.

Don't write off an entire dealership and fraudulent based on the actions of a small group of clearly unethical employees. I am willing to bet that if you work with some of the other individuals in the service department, you will find that the experience can be improved upon greatly.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM

oh i believe the whole management is unethical. when there are that many bad reviews on a regular basis, why would they try to cut a follow up service call short when there is a bad review, and not try to work with the customer. there is definately something going on. they may try to fool you by sugar coating everything by giving u free car wash or free inspection with service, but underneth all that, they are scums that are out to get you.
does it matter whether you get a good service writer? cause its not them that determines which mechanic it goes to. they are just all in it together to get people. the way he said the mechanic pulled him to show the leak to they way he lied about a leak from a hondabond seal. he just seems like he was trained to do that.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Radley is ehhh...no comment.

I had some issues with Pohanka as well, you almost have to know people to get things done right.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
There is a TL & GL in

I can definetly agree to that. Not limited to Acura but all dealers. Fortunately I have had connections for the cars I have.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by spideryk
oh i believe the whole management is unethical. when there are that many bad reviews on a regular basis, why would they try to cut a follow up service call short when there is a bad review, and not try to work with the customer. there is definately something going on. they may try to fool you by sugar coating everything by giving u free car wash or free inspection with service, but underneth all that, they are scums that are out to get you.
does it matter whether you get a good service writer? cause its not them that determines which mechanic it goes to. they are just all in it together to get people. the way he said the mechanic pulled him to show the leak to they way he lied about a leak from a hondabond seal. he just seems like he was trained to do that.
I don't know what you did to piss someone off there, but I have never been given this kind of service. I had been a client at Radley for about 4 years before I switched to Pohanka because the guy I knew moved over there as well.

Guess it pays to be friendly with the folks at the dealership, whether they are in service, sales, or admin. Always got things handled in a professional manner and even when I had a bad experienced, always had it addressed quickly and professionally.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 PM

jcharged, i totally agree with you on needing to know people to get it done right.

cgtsx2004, i dunno about doing anything to piss anyone off, i was just minding my own business waiting for my car. i dunno how long youve been taking ur car to pohanka but i see that ur cars are pretty new and still under warranty, they probly wont mess with any cars under warranty since there is no money from things covered by warranty.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I never had an issue with them. Granted I do most of my own work to my car. When I got my oil changed for free by them they torqued the hell out of everything which made it very hard to change my oil myself now. I agree that there are always going to be positive and negative reviews about any dealer. Considering they are one of the busiest dealers regarding service on the East coast they are obviously doing something right. I have never had any issues dealing with anyone there, including Dan. I have heard plenty of horror stories from other dealerships, esp Karen Radley in Woodbridge.

It definitely is sad that this happened to you and I am surprised the bolt was loose because that is extremely odd since they usually tighten everything a ridiculous amount. You should just call up and speak to one of the head managers there and see if you can get some money back or something. There are always those who will act suspect when it comes to things but I agree that you can't call the entire dealership a fraud. I don't like dealers either, mind you, but don't see the need to call them a fraud. At least now you know, DIY is always better lol.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM

yeah it would be fine if they just forgot to tighten the bolt, but when they go out of the way to tell me that it was leaking before i had brought it in, and make up a lie about where its leaking from. thats shady business. he told me that the mechanic pulled him to show him the leak, now, i was there the whole time, why didnt he bring that to my attention? he decides to tell me when i call back about the leak. and like i said they are out to get cars out of warranty.

Last edited by spideryk; 07-02-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Racer

This guy I know, that was the head mechanic at Rosenthal Acura, told me about that place, he said dont ever take my car over there at all, cause he saw it for himself when he had to pick up a car from over there for a customer. Anyways If yall looking for a real good mechanic and one thats not going to raping you in prices or bs you, or you dont feel like taking it to the dealer, Then I got a mechanic for you!!!

Shop info: EUROWERKS

122275 Nebel Street
Rockville Md 20852

phone: 301-770-1670
hours: M-F 8am- 6pm

Specializes: BMW, MERCEDES, PORSCHE, AUDI, LOTUS, JAGUAR AND FERRARI

Mostly works on: ACURA, LEXUS, TURBO BMW'S

He also does alot of engine swaps, auto to manual swaps!!!

Used to be head mechanic of Rosenthal Acura.

Name is Sarven

If your interested, hit him up, let him know that Troy sent you or if you dont remember my name, just say the guy with the Red CL, he will know who your talking bout and he will hook up with a discount!!! Me and him like brothers, you never know, you might see me up there! LOL!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Racer

Also, if you got any European cars that you want to hook up, He got his own software set up!!! He can chip or reflash your whip!!! It doesnt come pretuned, he tunes it himself or to whatever you want it!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Try going to Radley in woodbridge I have had pretty good experience with the service writers there. And plus its a little closer too fredericksburg!!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 AM
is in Honda heaven

Originally Posted by spideryk

Actually the service writer does depend on which mechanic gets the car. They're on teams, each writer has his own team of mechanics. Just like a shitty boss usually means shitty employees same goes in this instance.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

how many does it takes to change a oil? Two... shame~ - -;
Old 09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by xmrgoodcatx
You should recieve a call about your service within the next day or so and let them know. I have been to pohanka for minor stuff and haven't had a bad experience. I think it is really hit or miss situation with all dealerships in that the service advisor and tech are the ones who will determine your experience. If you search around I am sure you will find bad reviews about Radely, Pohanka and more.

I do most of the work on my car and aviod the dealerships unless I can get it covered under warranty. If your car is out of warranty and need a shop to take it to I can recommend one off rt 29 that is honest, fair priced and does excellent work.
You can find bad reviews of just about anywhere. Thing is, it's easier to find bad reviews than good reviews because it's usually the person who's annoyed about something who feels the motivation to complain. The satisfied customers don't generally feel the need to tell everyone about it, plus in a lot of discussion forums the "all car dealer service is a ripoff" crowd will tar and feather you if you say anything positive about dealer service. A detailed post like the one that started this thread is a lot more credible than some of the usual complaints that don't say anything other than "they stink," though.

I took my 1986 Legend to Pohanka years ago because they were more convenient than Radley and I never had any problems with them, but that was a long time ago. I take my TL to Radley for the same reason (I moved and Radley is far more convenient) and the only problem I've had was that the directional tyres were mounted on the wrong side after a rotation (they promptly fixed it when I pointed it out).
Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been goin to radley acura in falls church for 2 yrs now, have never had a problem with them, I am cool with one of the service managers there and he hooks me up everytime i need something, i would switch to radley, knowing that pohanka is not that far away
Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i've been taking my car for service there since i bought it (2005). and when i do take it in for service its usually been washed prior to. i've really haven't had any bad experiences. the only issues were with them washing my car when i asked them not too (since i have a roof rack) and getting back into my car and finding that the volume to my stereo had been turned up way higher than i would ever listen to it. that was the first and last time i worked with dan. the service tech apologizes for putting the car through the wash and i expressed my displeasure about it and he gave me lip back! i complained to the customer service supervisor and i think that just prompted dan to offer me a free hand was for the car. i passed as i told him that i would do a much better job with a lot more pride than his guys would. what do you want, my impression of dan is that he's young and he needs to keep his customers advised of the work that is being performed on their cars. i pretty much try and avoid working with him if i can, so far so good. the guy i used to work with....is no longer there. (sigh) good help is hard to find.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Rosenthal Acura has been good to me for 3 years now, but they got a bit iffier to me at one point. I never have the same Service Rep anymore, it's always a different person, and somehow my voucher for my 7 year free oil service disappeared a few months ago after warranty work was done.

They also claimed that they didn't have a copy of it, but after much argument, they said they did. Figures, considering they made a photocopy of it everytime I brought it in.

But they're still good to me. Still give me great service and very prompt with their work.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

I agree with Pohanka's shams. I am new to the forum and I purchased my TL almost a year ago. I first went there to look around and found an 06' with 38,000 miles. Could never get a true price on the car and got the typical back and forth run around. Went out to Radley in Falls Church and and found an 05' Navi with 29,000 miles and took it home that day. Should of known because this is same place that showed my wife and I a "new" MDX with a dent and dog hair/smell all in the car.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dan Burns is an asshole. Was in there the other day for an oil change that turned out taking over 3 hours (7-10:15 PM). Wrote up a whole estimate for all the work I needed done, then told me he was doing me a favor not charging me to have a mechanic find all those problems. Screw off you scrawny doushe.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
7th Gear

Need help with Radley

Originally Posted by monkeyquach
Thats good to know especially since i am in area. I got some ties in radley so i dont expect that to happen to me. Let me know if i can do anything for you, ill talk to my friend over at radley.
Hey monkeyquach, I am a new user here so cant send you a PM. But I bought my TL at Radley a few weeks ago and ran into an issue that dealer isnt willing to work with. Maybe you can help me out. I would appreciate that.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
7th Gear

Hey

Originally Posted by madrussian190
i know this is kind of far from NoVA, but we have a dealership here in Gaithersburg, MD called Rosenthal Acura... from my experience, they dont fuck around and get the work done right... my old TSX was serviced there all the time, and everytime it went there they did everything just like it needed to be done, w/o screwing around...
Hey Madrussian, I just took my car to Rosenthal last week, they just did a check up and didnt do any work. I am also Russian.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
lol are you guys talking about Dan Burns the service advisor? or is there a mechanic named Dan Burns?

Ive always taken my car into Pohanka for an oil change and tranny flush and a couple warranty issues and never had any problem with them. I always went to a service advisor named Dan....I dont remember his last name. Im trying to find him because he always helped me out on things that needed to be done. Anybody know where he went because he is not at Pohanka anymore
Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pohanka Acura might be the worst dealership in the United States.

Unfortunately, I have to take my car there out of convenience. I try my best to NEVER take it there, but sometimes there are things out of my control/ability. Like the 3rd gear TSB. So I took my car there to have it done.

About two weeks back, I decided to swap out the tranny fluid for the GM Synchromesh. With the car up on the lift, and me watching my local mechanic friend, what do we find?! The TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN BOLT WAS ON FINGER-TIGHT!!! That's right, no socket wrench needed to take that thing off, just my fingers.

I hate this dealership and everything about it.

If you have the Certified Plus Appearance package that fixes your wheels and seats and stuff, NEVER take your car there. Don't even get me started on the cronies that fix your rims. That's a whole other story that you can PM me about.

POHANKA ACURA SUCKS!!! For your car's sake, don't take it there.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Racer

what dealership is better then?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sac2006TL
Pohanka Acura might be the worst dealership in the United States.

POHANKA ACURA SUCKS!!! For your car's sake, don't take it there.

Actually its one of the top rated in the United States. All this thread is he said she said off one experience. I am sure the OP has his reasons to hate them, just as anyone would have to love them.

My mom got her TL from there, I have bought 2 of my integras from there (even my 01 which was mag featured) with no problems. Granted I do all my own work, but they have aligned my TL there and I didn't have any complaints. They even gave me a rental car for the day. They also fixed my cam timing on my old GSR motor with CTR cams for pretty cheap (100 bux plus a few gaskets totaling 135)

OP or anyone that has a need please see Jerry at Pohanka, he has been a friend for years and has always been the favorite.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Racer

^True, I have never had problems with Chantilly Pohanka
Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
In my part of the world, Pohanka Acura does not have the very best reputation in the enthusiasts community.

I don't know why, but it has always been like that since I moved from Richmond to NoVA ten years ago.

Originally Posted by Donotgetmarried
Try going to Radley in woodbridge I have had pretty good experience with the service writers there. And plus its a little closer too fredericksburg!!
There's more than one Radley Acura.

The one you are talking about is Karen Radley Acura. It is a part of the Radley Group but administered separately.

It seems to have a better reputation in the enthusiast community and that is one of the reasons why I bought my car there instead of going elsewhere.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FUCK POHANKA. Hands down worst customer service ever. Just go read on the Acura Dealership Reviews... They got some of the shittest service ever. They lost my business a long time ago. Little scamtastic rat shits. Sorry, had to vent that out there. Don't get anything from them.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear

Swindlers !!

Hey Guys, I live in VA and had to get my TSX an A1 Service at 45K Miles and the guys down at Pohanka asked me to get a power steering system flush, brake fluid system flush and a 4 wheel alignment which I later came to know was for no apparent reason - And definitely not part of the A1 service.. And they charged me like $600 for it.

I mean, sure they have their reasons for it and shit and you cant argue it out - But bottom line is they ripped me off !!! These guys are swindlers, Would advise anyone who is looking for a dealer service to go elsewhere - avoid Pohanka like the plague ...Wish I saw this thread before I made this mistake !!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well they offered you the service and you got it done, can't blame them at all. Over priced definitely and unless they sold it to you saying "this is part of the A1 service" then they didn't do anything wrong. If they said "you should get this done" and you signed off then that's your own fault. Plenty of places do this ALL the time from Jiffy Lube to basic local gas service stations too in my experiences. That's when I just thank them for the info, check it myself, do it myself if needed.

Your alignment may have been off, brake fluid flush sounds about right for that mileage if you've never had it done before. P/S flush could have waited I believe, not 100% sure on this. I know they have higher mileage for flushing the brake fluid like 60K and every 30K after that but I don't follow that personally. Their price tag and labor is ridiculously too much and I can see why you're mad about paying that much though.

I'm flushing my own brakes at 25K or 30K just for a piece of mind (5 bucks a quart), P/S prob waiting for a while unless it's dirty or w/e. Gunna do a full ATF flush and drain to clear it all out too around 25K or 30K. ATF is about $7/qt at my local Honda dealer. Time consumption is the real killer as dealership labor rates are insanely high. I paid under a $100 with tax for 10qt ATF and 4qt of brake fluid. DIY the actual maintenance itself though to save on labor as it's quite time intensive.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Those close to the Manassas area should check out Koons Honda. They have great customer service and plus theirs a Mcdonalds right across the street which I think has wifi if you do not want to wait in their area. I been going their since I had a Honda, I do not think they can do warranty repair though but normal maintenance they should be able to do just fine. Just an alternative i guess for us who are disappointed with Pohanka and do not want to drive all the way to the Falls Church Acura either.

win2k8
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Tischer and Rosenthal Acura have been the best for me. They do what I ask them to and don't come back to me with a bullshit list of things they find that "need attention." I am never going to Pohanka again.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

i worked for karen radley in woodbridge and radley in falls church and i owned acuras for ten years now i'm currently a master tech @ a honda dealership in NOVA and after reading this my advice to all of u guys is besides warranty work ,, be smart and service your acuras at honda dealerships it's 40% cheapper than acura and same parts and fluids and the techs are trained at the same school for 40 %%%%% LESS
if u guys need any service or repairs emission/inspection check engine light PM me

Quick Reply: Beware of pohanka acura in chantilly