Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Integra Thoughts on the Integra

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,796 Likes on 13,980 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Test drive booked! Going to check it out! Super excited. I am going to drive an Integra after 15 years.
Looking forward to your impressions!
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (06-08-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Ok – Ok…. I will chime in.

The new Acura Integra and the Aspec versions are NOT replacements for the GSR or Type R. Acura released LS versions etc with lower specs and with 5 door versions. Even the RSX in the regular platform and the Premium should not be compared to the RSX S for performance. People need to stop comparing the new Integra to the GSR or RSX S as this is not the replacement for that vehicle. I used to have a 2013 ILX Dynamic with the 2.4 L manual. There was an ILX version with the 2.0 L automatic the 2.4 liter Dynamic was obviously the better performer. Yes my old ILX sprinted to 60 in a little under 7 seconds stock while this new Integra seems to do it at about just over 7 seconds. The 2022 ILX comes with the 2.4 liter engine and hits 60 miles at less than 7 seconds as well but still there is no Type S version. Typically Acura’s Aspec versions do not provide much for performance differences and usually focuses on cosmetic touches only, except recently where the Aspec now includes adaptive dampers. This new Integra is designed for the masses and for fuel economy/emissions – Especially with how gas prices are this is just how times are now.

Don’t get me wrong I am all game for a new INTEGRA TYPE S, and I am about 95% certain that vehicle will be announced within the next year! It will likely have the 2 liter turbo pushing 270-280 HP (Similar to the Honda Accord or Acura RDX power plants, not likely 300 HP to compete with the Civic Type R – Unless the Integra is actually released as a Type R instead?), better body stiffing/suspension, better brakes with 4 piston Brembos in the front, and some more subtle sporty styling cues inside and out. That vehicle will likely command an addition $4000-6000 (Just look at how the other Acura Type S vehicles are spec'd).

I have driven the new Acura Integra Aspec Elite in the manual and the CVT. I can personally tell you that it drives well and seems faster that it actually is, it also seems to handle reasonably well out of the box. Compared to the Civic Si some say it is less so on the handling, but the SI also comes with summer tires compared to the all seasons on the Integra – Every ones knows that will make up for some of this difference. I admit there is a fair chunk of change to compare the SI to the Integra but I don’t like the styling of the SI and want a little more luxury in my car I feel the price difference is fair for what you get. As for the CVT it is not my thing, I am an old school manual at driver at heart and hence the reason I am looking at the Integra. However for those that want the auto I will say that as far as CVTs go this was the best one I have driven and I have tried a few. Yes a DCT would be better but Acura had some issues with theirs in the past and the CVT typically do better at fuel economy.

I am looking to replace my current vehicle which is an 2015 Audi S4 in manual and tuned (conservatively pushing 450 HP & 370 Ft/lbs at the crank) with various other modifications. There is just nothing that can come close in a manual. The Subaru WRX styling and fit and finish is not there, the Mazda 3 with the Turbo, and the VW Golf are all about the same (yes they have move power but ultimately all fall short). The only 2 possible rivals are the Cadillac Blackwing or the BMW M3 but I do not want to lay out that kind of money. This is my everyday driver and kid carrier - I need reliability and fuel economy out of my next vehicle! You just can’t have both lotz of “POWA” and great fuel economy. The Integra is a dying breed as a manual and the last of Acura’s ICE engines. This is likely my last manual car choice unless I pick up an older classic or pony up for a Porsche GT3/GT4!
The following 4 users liked this post by Chrifff:
a35tl (06-17-2022), ESHBG (06-17-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (06-17-2022), Shadow2056 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Well said. That's about where we are. If Acura releases a killer Type S next year, maybe that will be enough to persuade me to trade my TL 6MT for a second Integra -- this time a Type S. But it would have to be really good to get me out of my AWD TL. It appears Acura has confirmed no SH-AWD for any Integra, so that is a negative for me, although I recognize what the CTR has been able to do with purely FWD.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Took the plunge....

Well well well.... I did it and traded in the S4 for the Integra. I forgot to mention in my above post that another reason the 0-60 times are slower is because I believe it requires an additional shift to hit 60 miles an hr. It does drive faster, or at least feels faster (of course not as fast as my S4 which would do it in about 4.5 seconds). I have not tried a 0-60 run in it yet as it is too new, but perhaps in a few weeks? There is no doubt I will miss the S4's power and refinements, but it does feel good to be back with a Honda!

The following 12 users liked this post by Chrifff:
a35tl (06-20-2022), Acura TL Builder (06-21-2022), Honda430 (06-19-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (06-20-2022), KrylonBlue (06-19-2022), Legend2TL (06-20-2022), Nedmundo (06-21-2022), Pens Fan (06-20-2022), Shadow2056 (06-22-2022), silverTL6 (06-20-2022), trancemission (06-22-2022), Yumcha (06-21-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:08 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
^ Did you consider waiting for the Type-S? Obviously its fuel economy wouldn't be as great, but still better than the S4. And despite the interior borrowing so much from the Civic, it still looks like a nicer place to be than the B8/8.5 generation S4's (IMO), so at least you can focus on that whenever you start feeling sad about the significant drop in power
Old 06-20-2022, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverTL6
^ Did you consider waiting for the Type-S? Obviously its fuel economy wouldn't be as great, but still better than the S4. And despite the interior borrowing so much from the Civic, it still looks like a nicer place to be than the B8/8.5 generation S4's (IMO), so at least you can focus on that whenever you start feeling sad about the significant drop in power
Yes I did consider waiting for the Type S, but my Audi was pushing 95,000 km on the odometer - They are easier to sell less than 100,000, plus I get more bang for my buck. I will very likely tune the engine with Hondata or K-Tuner. I also kept my 255 35R 19 Michelin Pilot 4S tires (less than a year old) and will be getting rims soon.

It is still possible that I will pick up a Type S, but that would depend what I get for a trade, and I may wait a year at that point. Unless I feel I need more POWA!
Old 06-20-2022, 10:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
Yeah like what's up with that. We got a TLX-2 redux going on here. If you don't like the car why hang around shitting on it? I could kinda like understand one negative post then out. What makes no sense to me is being the source of a constant negative barrage that denies an opposing opinion to the poster is even possible.
Let's hope not, just a few toxic folks who mostly posted the most despite not owning (or in some cases not even driven a 2G TLX) turned the 2G TLX forum into a dumpster fire. Fortunately some careful moderating got it back on track.

Originally Posted by Yumcha
It's not a bad start for Acura.

On C&D, they graded it 8/10 which is a good car. How it ranks against the established cars in its segment: 5 out of 6...behind the Audi S3, BMW 2er, Audi A3, Audi RS3...and in front of the Mercedes CLA AMG. So, the fact they like it more than an AMG is something. Let's see if Acura will release a Type R.
+1, IMO the Integra is a good car from reviews I've read. Acura will probably capture a new younger marketspace with it, hence bring the brand forward. Lots of hits and misses with Acura over the past 36 years but recent vehicles are fairly positive.

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Look, I'm the first to "hate" on Acura...as I've departed the family since the 3.2 CL Type S...yeah...long time ago. But, this manual Integra has me excited and happy. I think a Type R/Type S release may be around the corner...hoping for it. But, if not, just on all the good reviews so far, I'd say this is a hit for Acura.
+1, also want to see what a Type R/S model would be like. Be interesting if the CTR components are brought in, like the powertrain, suspension and brakes.

Originally Posted by Chrifff
Well well well.... I did it and traded in the S4 for the Integra. I forgot to mention in my above post that another reason the 0-60 times are slower is because I believe it requires an additional shift to hit 60 miles an hr. It does drive faster, or at least feels faster (of course not as fast as my S4 which would do it in about 4.5 seconds). I have not tried a 0-60 run in it yet as it is too new, but perhaps in a few weeks? There is no doubt I will miss the S4's power and refinements, but it does feel good to be back with a Honda!
Congrats!!!! Please post a review on your driving impressions after some time behind the wheel!
Shadow2056 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Congrats!!!! Please post a review on your driving impressions after some time behind the wheel![/QUOTE]

I will, however for now I am just breaking her in. I am old school = Taking it easy for the 1st 1000 km's then a little harder driving before an early oil change. I will likely wash it today and start on the first ceramic coat. I also need to get used to the super light clutch on it. It is like most other newer manuals out there. My Gf's Audi is a 2018 and that clutch is just as light. So far my only pet peeve is there some decent sized panel gaping on the hood and trunk areas of the Integra. A little larger than I would have expected.

I hope the Type S won't be too much more in price?
Old 06-20-2022, 10:53 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
If I can find an Integra 6MT at MSRP I might just trade in my Aspec. I got a generous offer on the car which is approximately what I paid for it 20 months ago. I’m nearing retirement and downsizing payment and insurance wise is in my best interest.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:16 AM
Instructor

If I can find an Integra 6MT at MSRP I might just trade in my Aspec. I got a generous offer on the car which is approximately what I paid for it 20 months ago. I’m nearing retirement and downsizing payment and insurance wise is in my best interest.
They are in very short supply still. I believe I was the 1st manual transmission sold by the dealership in my area,and they have only sold one other CVT. I am fortunate in Canada the dealerships are not allowed to add mark up's, but they can sell with add ons. I was also fortunate that they didn't have any add ons in stock or they might have installed it before I picked it up.

I do like the styling of the new integra I think it looks way better than the previous 2022 ILX (IMO) and even the current TLX. Although I do like the TLX, but it is quite large, heavy, and no stick.I wish the Integra was AWD tho, but that would eat into the fuel economy.

I believe more Integras will be available shortly, you will get one and hopefully at a decent MSRP price point.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,796 Likes on 13,980 Posts
Congrats, @Chrifff !
Old 06-21-2022, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome back to the Acura family!
Old 06-21-2022, 07:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
congrats! great looking car!
Old 06-22-2022, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iforyou
congrats! great looking car!
Thank you! It is a work in progress, like my last 2 cars I will likely tweek it a bit. For now 2nd coat of ceramic/Graphene on it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Chrifff:
a35tl (06-23-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (06-23-2022), Shadow2056 (06-22-2022), silverTL6 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 279 Posts
Glad you got white with red interior. Love that combo!

The only thing that truly bothers me is the rear. But it's slowly grown on me.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:52 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Given the below info, my guess is Integra Type S will have a detuned 2.0T 10AT from the RDX/TLX. They're not going to do 2.0T 6MT LSD from CTR; that would cannibalize CTR sales.

"Despite reports hinting that the new Acura Integra would get Acura's super-handling-all-wheel-drive (SH-AWD), Acura's lead product planner has indicated that no such plans are in the works. In a recent "ask me anything" on a popular forum called IntegraTalk , the Integra's lead product planner, Jonathon Rivers, answered a raft of questions from fans eager to learn how this nameplate gained new life as sedan sales slump."

Link: https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/t...ld/2022-06-21/
Shadow2056 (08-18-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
They are in very short supply still. I believe I was the 1st manual transmission sold by the dealership in my area,and they have only sold one other CVT. I am fortunate in Canada the dealerships are not allowed to add mark up's, but they can sell with add ons. I was also fortunate that they didn't have any add ons in stock or they might have installed it before I picked it up.

I do like the styling of the new integra I think it looks way better than the previous 2022 ILX (IMO) and even the current TLX. Although I do like the TLX, but it is quite large, heavy, and no stick.I wish the Integra was AWD tho, but that would eat into the fuel economy.

I believe more Integras will be available shortly, you will get one and hopefully at a decent MSRP price point.
I made the inquiry. I got a promise to sell at MSRP; however, it was in combination with trade in offer on my current vehicle that was $3,500 less than what Auto Nation was willing to do. To top it off they won't have a vehicle until end of July and wanted a $1,500 deposit. I told them to call me when the car comes in.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Yea white with red combo is my favorite too. The rear end is quite similar to the RSX IMO.

Personally, I think ideally we see the following:

$41k - Integra Type S with a 252hp 2.0T 10AT from the Accord. If it requires premium, then very likely it will be the 272hp from the RDX/TLX.
$46k - Integra Type R - essentially a heavier but more luxurious CTR.

With the new CTR likely to be about $40k, I personally don't think the ITR mentioned above will cannibalize the CTR sales. But then again, I also highly doubt that they will make an ITR lol...so sort of a moot point.
Shadow2056 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 03:06 PM
Instructor

I think Honda/Acura is debating on making either the Integra Type S or R. My reasoning is basically because they are so tight lipped about even a Type S. Acura has been open about the previous Type S models for years. A Type S would make the most sense for the sure amount of production and not dig into the Civic Type R sales - As the ITS would be a higher fit and finish with more luxury features, and likely between 250-280 HP. I also do think they will make the Type S in a manual. If Acura does bring back the Type R it would be purely for the enthusiast and to help lift up the Acura name on their last ICE production vehicles.

Fingers crossed on either....
Shadow2056 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts

Very nice. This car is starting to grow on me.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:03 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

There will be an S but no R variant - the leaked roadmap already confirmed the former, and hopefully it's still on schedule for late '22. There was also an interview with a Honda exec saying Type R is reserved for Honda now, which eliminates the possibility for the latter. It would be dumb for Honda to worry about ITS eating into CTR sales (they still make a sale / profit either way, so what's the problem?), but then again the Integra 6MT and Civic Si also share the same powertrain, so there is some glimmer of hope that ITS/CTR will follow suit and differentiate themselves on features instead.

The following 2 users liked this post by silverTL6:
Shadow2056 (08-18-2022), Tony Pac (06-30-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:05 PM
Instructor

I now thinking there will likely not be ITR and it will likely be a Type S. With the release of the Civic Type R I am suspecting the Integra Type S will not be announced until after the 2023 Civic Type R production is available = Perhaps a month later. I am willing to bet it will come in at about $8,000 Cdn more than the Aspec Technology, and will likely be very much like the TLX Type S when it comes to styling and extras over the TLX Aspec.

All this being said I am going to wait for mods on my ASpec Technology as I am still debating on upgrading (depending on what it comes with and costs). Now that my car is over 1500 km's and I have changed the oil already... I have purchased and installed the Ktuner V1.2 flash as this can be removed from one car and likely put on the Type S.

I am running the dual tune with stock boost (I believe it's 16 psi) for Comfort and Normal modes, and 23 PSI on Sport mode - I want to keep my fuel economy. The car does pull alot harder (mainly in the low-mid range to the high mid RPM trailing around 5800-6000) and so far I don't feel any slipping of the clutch = However I am NOT doing 0-60 runs/launches and slamming shifts. I do seem to notice a little heat soak going on after some spirited driving so an intercooler is good next mod?

All in all the Teg runs well, is a decent handling vehicle out of the box (that is saying alot coming from a decently modded AWD 2015 Audi S4). I do miss the roar of vtec in the high RPMs though. And the stock tires need to be replaced - I am waiting for rims but they are all on back order until September/October. Aside from that I'm just twittering my tumbs and waiting to see what the Type S will be??? If I don't like it I will gladly keep this vehicle and change it some to get it to where I'll be happy with, this will be my last manual ICE Honda.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 279 Posts
I made the inquiry. I got a promise to sell at MSRP; however, it was in combination with trade in offer on my current vehicle that was $3,500 less than what Auto Nation was willing to do. To top it off they won't have a vehicle until end of July and wanted a $1,500 deposit. I told them to call me when the car comes in.
By the time you see this, they'll probably already have a deposit on it. Don't call dealers bluffs these days when it comes to hot selling items. Especially if they're saying they're going to sell it at MSRP when everyone else is marking them up. We can't keep Civics on the lot. People calling and not wanting to pay over sticker and tell me "Good luck selling them". Well sir...that's the thing. We don't have them because they have deposits on them before they hit the lot and the moment one slips thru the cracks without a deposit, it's sold within a day of being there. If you actually want one, put down your deposit. The market isn't going to "cool down" any time soon. Honda has spoken about shrinking dealer inventory as well. So don't be surprised when you don't see dealers with less than 100 cars on the lot once inventory gets to normal again.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Ok, It has been about 2 months of ownership and it is time I answer this...

First I will say that I am a Honda fan, and sadly (or NOT) a manual/stick driving enthusiast. I used to own a 2013.Acura ILX 2.4L Dynamic in manual to which I modified some (the build is here somewhere for those that may be curious - My 2013 Build: https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...-build-958942/ ) and was sad to find out that Acura dropped the manuals with the 2015 ILX. I then picked up a used Audi S4 of course in manual and tweeked it some as well to a nice conservative level of 450 HP/380 ft/tq at the crank, along with brake and suspension mods. This is important to know when I compare my driving experience with the new Integra. I will also add in that I have friends that had the 1st generation Integra, 1999 Integra Type R, RSX Type S, and the Honda S2000 - All of which I have personally driven and enjoyed.

Now for my thoughts.... It is definitely a Honda product with the similar fit, feel, looks, and similar driving experiences except the old high revving roar of the old (My old 1997 Civic SI, 1999 Civic SiR, 2008 Civic Si, and ILX Dynamic) - I absolutely loved that feeling and totally miss that vtec punch! Obviously vtec is still present but can not be the same with forced induction so there is a trade off with smaller engines with higher output and fuel economy. The rev limit is at 6500/6600 RPM, but the fun plateaus just below 6000 (Trust me I know I have bumped up the rev limit to 7100 and the power doesn't exactly fall, but it does not continue to pull hard) . The engine sound is slightly muted from older versions but still sounds relatively decent and the Teg does a decent job getting you around town. Now this being said it is not the torque monster that is going to get you through traffic like my S4 would do (IE switching lanes from a stop/slow speed), you do no need to wind it up a little more to get the power from the turbo. The 0-60 times are slower than my old ILX and the Integra Type R, however this is partially to do with the gear ratios being smaller and requires a shift to 3rd to reach that speed and hence adds time, however the 1/4 mile times will be better in new Teg. Personally I would rather have it this way as I am not a drag racer and do not care much for 0-60 times, and would rather have more shifting experiences - This is the reason why I bought a manual opposed to alternative vehicles with a dual clutch. The gear box in this Integra is one of the reasons I went back to Honda, it is excellent and needs no real mods or changes to it even though Honda has moved to a cable system it still feels very solid and engaging!

So all in all do not buy the Teg (at least the current ones before a Type S) if you want the most power out of a stock vehicle with a manual. Now for the the handling.... I have to say out of the box this thing handles really really well as the steering is very responsive and there is little lean when cornering, I would even say that when it comes to lean in corners it compares well against my previous S4 with 255 35 R 19 Michelin Pilot 4S tires, all wheel drive and thicker aftermarket front and rear sway bars. Yes it can not out handle my old S4 especially at speed, it just feels confident and planted which can be attributed to a vehicle that weighs 800+ pounds lighter, limit slip differential, adapted suspension, and steering ratios. This car will handle much better with better tread, however so far the stock tread is better than what I have experienced from Honda in the past.

I have mentioned this before and will mention it again, I am still debating on moving to a Type S version when it come available, however that will depend largely on the price and what you get for the extra $ - Really would a 2023 Civic Type R be better for the money, yes but I can't for what I need the car to do. If not I am sure I will be happy with the Integra ASpec Tech version with some more mods = Tires, Downpipe/frontpipe, Intercooler, and Intake (I have already purchased the KTuner Tuning hardware). I think most buyers will be fine with this level of performance as it should bring the vehicle up to 250/260 HP and similar levels of torque while giving the vehicle more grunt sound and continuous power without heatsoak.

For those that say forget it and want the Civic Si. I say go for it! Especially if you like it and can save $8,000. For me I prefer the refinement and extras of the Integra - Sure it is not Audi, but I do appreciate the extras and IMO I like the look of the Integra over the Civic (although I will say the 11th gen Civic looks much better than the 10th). This is my only vehicle, my commuter, and fun car. I think this covers all of the basics without sacrificing too much. Also the rear hatchback is quite large and I have personally transported my full sized (large frame) road bike in the rear without the need to remove the front or rear wheels, and room to spare = impressive! Finally one of my complaints with the 2013 ILX was road noise at highway speeds. This Teg is much better over the old ILX and supposedly more quiet over the Civic Si. I also have 2 children and am honestly glad that the back seats are not micro fiber as they can get messy and the faux leather is easier to clean.

Finally a couple of more things....

HUD - This is one of the best I have seen (I have used the current Audi versions and they are good, but this is better) and works with Android Auto/Car Play giving you the current speed limit, compass, and turn by turn directions on the windshield cleanly! Do I need it, absolutely not, but do I like it = Yes!

Canadian version Integra ASpec with heated seats and steering wheel. Ok this is a nice to have and for some reason Honda seems to think that in Canada we all live in igloos and need this. But in this case the heated steering wheel and front and rear seats are not hot and get warm at best, so you ain't missing much my friends!

I hope I did not miss anything, if I did lemme know and I will comment on it.

The following 6 users liked this post by Chrifff:
a35tl (08-19-2022), ELIN (11-03-2022), ESHBG (08-20-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-20-2022), Legend2TL (08-19-2022), Tony Pac (08-24-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Oops I forgot 2 things... Android Auto is what I use and yes it works however it is a little glitchy and sometimes doesn't pair even after I fiddle with the settings. I either need to delete my cellular phone and reinstall it or put up with it as bluetooth audio and cellular phone calls still works, eventually it does reconnect.

The 16 speaker ELS 3D stereo: I am sorry that I keep comparing this Teg to my previous Audi S4, but that Audi had an awesome Bang and Olufsen stereo which I upgraded the rear speaker from an 8" to a 10" sub. I would say they are both incredible and sound amazing with very clear sound and range, however I would say the S4 was slightly better when it came to its clarity and punch. Now the Teg system is great and will do most users well with no need for any aftermarket improvements unless you are a complete basshead. I have done my fair share of stereo mods in the past and trust me this system is more than adequate. Food for thought, I believe the speakers above the front driver and passenger along the roof are mid range speakers = not high treble or low bass in sound which makes them a little less noticeable but they are working. This makes sense as you don't want the high or low range blaring at your ears directly.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the car for what it is.

I feel like the Integra and ILX both suffer from a similar issue: for what they are, they're good/great cars, but for what Acura marketed them to be, they missed the mark. I think that's where a lot of the angst from people is coming from.

The old ILX was billed as a premium/luxury car, and it was laughably bad at being one (feel free to let me know if you disagree). However, it was great at being a slightly nicer sport compact of that era, which is pretty much what it really was. The first couple of times I drove the ILX, I thought it was a really bad car. It took a while to realize that's only true based on how it was presented; looking at it from the lense of "slightly nicer Civic Si" I actually enjoyed it a lot more. All the fun of the high revving K24 motor carried over in its entirety from the Si. It's a shame Acura tried to sell it as a luxury car, and the proof is in the pudding: it ended up being the car with the highest rate of buyer's remorse. The only thing remotely luxury about it was the leather seats...

The Integra ironically seems to have the inverse of that problem. Acura leaned in hard on the performance angle, but unfortunately it falls short there. However, this car (minus a few head-scratching omissions) is a pretty solid premium/luxury car at a very competitive price.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-19-2022 at 12:49 PM.
ESHBG (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the car for what it is.

I feel like the Integra and ILX both suffer from a similar issue: for what they are, they're good/great cars, but for what Acura marketed them to be, they missed the mark. I think that's where a lot of the angst from people is coming from.

The old ILX was billed as a premium/luxury car, and it was laughably bad at being one (feel free to let me know if you disagree). However, it was great at being a slightly nicer sport compact of that era, which is pretty much what it really was. The first couple of times I drove the ILX, I thought it was a really bad car. It took a while to realize that's only true based on how it was presented; looking at it from the lense of "slightly nicer Civic Si" I actually enjoyed it a lot more. All the fun of the high revving K24 motor carried over in its entirety from the Si. It's a shame Acura tried to sell it as a luxury car, and the proof is in the pudding: it ended up being the car with the highest rate of buyer's remorse. The only thing remotely luxury about it was the leather seats...

The Integra ironically seems to have the inverse of that problem. Acura leaned in hard on the performance angle, but unfortunately it falls short there. However, this car (minus a few head-scratching omissions) is a pretty solid premium/luxury car at a very competitive price.
I actually really liked Acura ILX especially how I spec'd it out and modded it. It did not look anything like a Civic like the old EL or CSX did. But I do agree the ILX fell a little short on some of its luxury features - The leather seats were definitely the best one. The automatic in the ILX was horrible and had multiple issues with the both inclusive of the DCT.

As for the Integra on is performance angle this current Integra is not the replacement of the GSR or Type R, Acura never has marketed it as such, that will come later in the Type S. This first version is the one for the masses and will likely sell well (or at least out sell the ILX) , the Type S will hopefully be the one that will appeal to the enthusiast, hopefully we can all afford it, but it will likely be more $ than the 2023 Civic Type R. However I sadly do not think the Type S will be quite as raw as the Civic Type R and nor should it be, as that is for the Honda variant. Acura is focused on luxury segment and will stick with the Type S with no Type R coming.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:16 PM
Safety Car

I actually really liked Acura ILX especially how I spec'd it out and modded it. It did not look anything like a Civic like the old EL or CSX did. But I do agree the ILX fell a little short on some of its luxury features - The leather seats were definitely the best one. The automatic in the ILX was horrible and had multiple issues with the both inclusive of the DCT.

As for the Integra on is performance angle this current Integra is not the replacement of the GSR or Type R, Acura never has marketed it as such, that will come later in the Type S. This first version is the one for the masses and will likely sell well (or at least out sell the ILX) , the Type S will hopefully be the one that will appeal to the enthusiast, hopefully we can all afford it, but it will likely be more $ than the 2023 Civic Type R. However I sadly do not think the Type S will be quite as raw as the Civic Type R and nor should it be, as that is for the Honda variant. Acura is focused on luxury segment and will stick with the Type S with no Type R coming.
Acura may not have marketed it as a GSR or Type R, but they certainly used the word "performance" quite a lot in their press release and marketing campaigns:

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...new-generation

It looks like scrubbed the landing page to remove performance, but the site initially called it "Premium performance"

IIRC they initially marketed it as "Premium Sports Performance", and while it has since been removed from their own site, a lot of dealership sites still have that in the title of the Integra landing pages. I guess even Acura's marketing department realized the jig is up.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-19-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Acura may not have marketed it as a GSR or Type R, but they certainly used the word "performance" quite a lot in their press release and marketing campaigns:

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...new-generation

It looks like scrubbed the landing page to remove performance, but the site initially called it "Premium performance"

IIRC they initially marketed it as "Premium Sports Performance", and while it has since been removed from their own site, a lot of dealership sites still have that in the title of the Integra landing pages. I guess even Acura's marketing department realized the jig is up.

Haha, of course they did... They want to move product. I don't disagree entirely, there is performance but nothing to what ethusiasts expect.
Shadow2056 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Haha, of course they did... They want to move product. I don't disagree entirely, there is performance but nothing to what ethusiasts expect.
The problem is that it could backfire. It certainly did when the ILX didn't meet the expectations they set and it tanked the nameplate, and I fear it will turn off a lot of people from the Integra who may actually enjoy it but discount it outright because it does not live up to the hype Acura built for it.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

I guess it's time for this poophead to provide some initial thoughts after owning the car for half a day.

My initial impressions from my test drive in July were not great. Looking back though, I think part of that was due to the stupid amount of hype Acura tried to build for the car, and part of it was because of the ridiculous $20K ADM the dealer was trying to push.

Since I'm apparently a hater, I'll start with the annoyances/quibbles first, and then on to the good stuff.
  • No Homelink. WTF? I didn't even consider that the car wouldn't have it, so it wasn't something I necessarily looked out for. That's a really weird omission.
  • The front half of the car feels premium and well equipped for the price point, but the back half of the car feels economy-class in a number of ways. This is clearly where they cut costs. Let me explain:
    • Rear doors do not have keyless entry. This was one of my big annoyances about the pre-facelift 1G TLX, and I'm just as annoyed about it here.
    • Rear doors feel really cheap. Front doors feel properly solid and almost European like. The rear doors are hollow, tinny, and feel about as susbstantial as the one on my old Subaru from 10 years ago.
    • Rear door panels are pretty cheap.
    • No vents in the back at all.
  • The car has memory seats, but oddly the mirrors positions don't get saved.
  • Fit and finish is still kind of hit and miss. I took a look around at the cars on the lots and some of them had much more noticable misaligned fenders/trims and panel gaps. I ended up picking out the one I thought had the least fit and finish issues.
  • The car sounds...underwhelming. To be expected, but I'd prefer some more intake noises coming into the cabin.
  • Backup camera resolution is still pretty lousy. Feels no different than the one found in a 2014 Accord, which is a shame beause screen resolution looks pretty good.
  • It's a little loud on the freeways. Wish they had some more NVH here, but that would also make the car even heavier and slower than it already is.
So as you can see, annoyances aren't too bad. Here are some of the things I do like:
  • Love the touchscreen. It's responsive, easy to use, Carplay is WIRELESS and super easy to use compared to the stupid touchpad interface that you use like a trackpad and mouse.
  • Did I mention it has wireless CarPlay? This makes the wireless chaging pad actually useful, because I can just plop my phone on their and everything just works.
  • Wireless charger actually works on my iPhone 13 Max.
  • Love the digital gauge cluster. Yeah it's not as fancy as the Germans but its very usable, pretty configurable, and the startup and shutdown animations were a nice touch. It's way nicer than the half-screen in the Si and I highly prefer it over the analog clusters in the RDX and TLX.
  • Shifter is great. For some reason, the clutch on the tester model I had in July had a really weird takeup and felt very binary. This one feels normal. This affirms my belief that Acura QC is lacking.
  • Sound system is great. Punches above its weight for sure, and while it might not be as good as the big brother system in the TLX, it's very very good for its segment.
  • HUD is clear, usable, and functional.
  • Visibility is great, sterering feels good, and the drive modes actually seem to do something. I appreciate having an individual mode that allows me to set the engine and steering to sport but the dampers to comfort.
  • Materials in the front seats are great. Door panels are lined with soft touch faux leather, the dash is a soft touch material, and all the switchgear feels nice. The physical HVAC controls are refreshing coming from my Volvo where everything is controlled by the infotainment system.
  • Pedal positioning is absolutely perfect for heel-toe, which is to be expected from Honda.
  • Rear facing car seats actually fit in the back. I moved my seat wayyyy farther back than I would normally sit and there was still enough room to fit the car seat in the middle. There's also way more headroom in the middle seat than in the TLX. I'm 100% convinced that this car babies better than the TLX. (side note, those poor white seats are going to get trashed by my daughers shoes...)
When I test drove the car in July, I said I found the car to be kind of slow and not all that fun to drive. I still do think it's kind of slow, but I'll qualify that by saying that it actually is fun to drive the snot of the car. I can go WOT and row through the gears without grossly breaking speed laws. I still do think this engine lacks character; it's a far cry from the K20 and even K24. However, one thing that I did notice this time that I didn't notice earlier is that it sounds like there's a VTEC crossover. Whether or not VTEC actually kicks in or not is a separate matter (apparently VTEC does not engage at WOT), but it sure sounds and kind of feels like it. Still, I would rather have the K20 in this car. That said, the car feels faster than I remember when winding it out. The power doesn't seem to flatter out as badly after 5000 RPMs like on the tester. Makes me wonder if maybe that car was whatever the opposite of a factory freak is.

Still haven't had a chance to take this into the twisties, but I'm going to temper my expectations a bit because these OEM tires are trash. Absolute garbage. Maybe they'll grip better when broken in, but currently I'm spinning through first gear even without an aggressive launch, and easily chirping second gear. All this without even turning off traction control. If this is the typical behavior of these tires, then I'm not surprised at all that the 0-60 times on the car are dissapointing. I'm going to give things a go with my Dragy tomorrow to see how I do, and then at some point once I swap tires I'll try again and see if the numbers improve. Might be able to borrow a friend's track wheels/tires for his CTR to test with.

All in all, I would say that if this car did not have a manual, I would not be interested in it whatsoever. It's not perfect, but these days beggars can't be choosers, and there isn't a whole lot of other options that allow you to row your own gears in this segment (or even above). With a manual, a car only has to be "good enough", and this car is a bit better than "good enough". An Integra Type S could address a lot of complaints I have about power and the engine, and I'd trade up in a heartbeat if dealerships don't saddle it with ADMs, but for now the Integra is enjoyable enough.

The following 6 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (11-03-2022), ESHBG (11-03-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (11-03-2022), mapleloaf (11-06-2022), Pens Fan (11-03-2022), silverTL6 (11-03-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-03-2022, 01:16 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

I remember this same dealership was asking ~$60k for a similar blue one with all the accessories a few months back...glad you didn't get that one
Old 11-03-2022, 01:51 AM
Instructor

Congrats on picking one up Fiatlux!

I hope you enjoy it. The blue looks good, but yup good luck keeping it nice and white with the kiddos in the back. LOL

I do agree it could use a little more power, hence I have added the K-Tuner mod to it and yes it definitely does pull better. You feel it more so in the torque. I am currently running the stock/23 PSI combo tune setting. Keeping the great fuel economy and having a little extra fun when I want it.

It really does need better tires, which I have a set of Michelin Pilot 4S' from my previous car, but I am holding off from buying rims or other mods just in case I want to trade up for a Type S. I don't want to dump too much money in it, especially if I sell the car for the Type S! The Ktuner should swap over to a Type S if I go that route? If you are looking for a better intake sound perhaps try the high flow intake from PRL with the resonator delete, that should help it out there.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:09 AM
Safety Car

Congrats on picking one up Fiatlux!

I hope you enjoy it. The blue looks good, but yup good luck keeping it nice and white with the kiddos in the back. LOL

I do agree it could use a little more power, hence I have added the K-Tuner mod to it and yes it definitely does pull better. You feel it more so in the torque. I am currently running the stock/23 PSI combo tune setting. Keeping the great fuel economy and having a little extra fun when I want it.

It really does need better tires, which I have a set of Michelin Pilot 4S' from my previous car, but I am holding off from buying rims or other mods just in case I want to trade up for a Type S. I don't want to dump too much money in it, especially if I sell the car for the Type S! The Ktuner should swap over to a Type S if I go that route? If you are looking for a better intake sound perhaps try the high flow intake from PRL with the resonator delete, that should help it out there.
Yeah, on one hand I do want to get new tires, and intake, and a tune, but on the other hand I want to to be able to also turn it back in for an ITS if those become available without horrendous markups.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Congrats on the pickup. I think most of your cons are fair. Even our sales guy thought it had Homelink. That's a dumb omission, but perhaps chip-related?

Love the Apex Blue/Orchid combo. That would have been my first choice too, but since this will primarily be my wife's car, Performance Red/Orchid it will be. Supposed to be here at the end of the month after a long wait -- ordered in late May!

Thanks for the heads up on the tires. I'm asking our dealer to switch out to Michelins before we pick it up. Hope to get a little more quiet and a little better grip all at once.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

I put a few more miles on the tires and now they're performing better, although still not great. Launching it above 3000 RPMs results in the front wheels spinning all through first. Around 2500 RPMs seems to be the sweet spot to get a bit of wheelspin to build up the revs and then have the tires hook up. I did some runs using my Dragy; numbers were consistently around 7.35-7.4s without rollout (7.1s with rollout) if I got a good launch. Suffice to say that this is not a particularly quick car by any stretch of the imagination. Reminds me of my 500 Abarth, only much nicer to be in and much quieter. First gear goes by fast enough, but second takes a while and third...well...

Old 11-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Oh almost forgot; discovered my first fit & finish / build quality issue this morning. There's something rattling in or on the driver's side door. Can't say I'm too surprised.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
So you went from testing driving TLX-S and ending up with a "GS" level Integra, interesting. I guess your priorities really are with the rear seat room, though that's requirement is probably going to change in 6 months, or less.

Will the Integra Type S be in the future for you, as long as it's not outrageously overpriced that is...
Old 11-03-2022, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whiteGSR
So you went from testing driving TLX-S and ending up with a "GS" level Integra, interesting. I guess your priorities really are with the rear seat room, though that's requirement is probably going to change in 6 months, or less.

Will the Integra Type S be in the future for you, as long as it's not outrageously overpriced that is...
The problem with the TLX Type S is that there are a lot of other cars I'd rather have if I were looking for an automatic AWD turbo-6 luxury sedan. Money isn't of concern, so if that's the type of car I'm looking for I'd likely be looking at the RS5 SB (M3 is too god awful ugly). And even if money were of concern, there are other cars at that price point I'd be more interested in anyways.

The reason the Integra won out is because it has a manual and is cheap enough that I won't feel bad about selling it in a year or two when one of my many ordered cars finally arrive. But mostly the manual. It's really to bide my time; the other car I was looking at is the IS500, but Toyota stopped production of those until next year and all the 2022s are already spoken for.

And yes, I'll be eyeing ITS. If it doesn't have crazy markups, that'll likely be replacing the regular Integra.

Last edited by fiatlux; 11-03-2022 at 02:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
lauren01 (02-11-2023), Shadow2056 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Received 1,245 Likes on 903 Posts
Oh almost forgot; discovered my first fit & finish / build quality issue this morning. There's something rattling in or on the driver's side door. Can't say I'm too surprised.
Congrats again on the car! I was surprised when you made the purchase but it seems you were biding your time for pricing to be reasonable. Hope you manage to keep that Orchid interior nice and clean with the young kiddies!

See if the rattling only occurs when driving over uneven ground/slope. If it does, I would see if the seat belt mount is banging against the driver's seat. This "tap tap tap" drove me crazy on the TLX.

Quick Reply: Integra Thoughts on the Integra