Notices

My 2013 Build

Old 06-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My 2013 Build

2013 ILX 2.4L Dynamic (Manual as it was meant to be)
Picked it up used with 28,000 Km (yes in Canada) - April 2015

1st Mod = Tien 1.5" drop springs
I hated the wheel well gap so I felt I wanted to drop it some.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Before the springs, yes right before we did the install (sorry for the bad picture quality = low lighting in the garage).

Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Out with the old and in with the new.... Injen CAI and RV6 Stainless Steel Downpipe (with high flow cat).

Old 06-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Next Hondata Pro... And Rims/Tires
Enkei silver EMK3 18"
Continental DWS 06 - 225 40R18

Of course I ended up pushing out the rims later with 25mm spacers front and rear.

You may have noticed I cracked open the headlight assembly and took out the ugly orange plastic, I did however epoxy the orange reflector to keep the vehicle compliant. I really hated the orange reflectors inside the headlights - It made the vehicle look dated (IMO).

The following users liked this post:
silverTL6 (07-08-2018)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Lights up front!!! Changed the stock fog lights to white HID (Aftermarket kit for H11's).

Lights in the back....After lots of going back and forth on this one I finally bucked up and spent the cash.... Converted the rear tail lights from 1st gen to second gen.

I later changed the front and rear corner markers to amber LED's. Also changed the fog light bulbs to 3000K ambers (not as nice as some of the aftermarket LED projector fog light kits - But mine only cost me $60).

I have also upgraded the rear subwoofer to a Kicker Comp 8" 2 ohm speaker. It does sound better however the frequency is still crossed over at the stock amp = You will not really hear too much lower frequencies.

My next mod...

Civic SI - RBC Intake manifold. Picked this up used for $125 CAD. Contrary to its appearance above it is in good condition and I have since cleaned it up. I used to have a 2008 Honda Civic SI and totally miss that VTEC punch growl, I am hoping this will bring back that sweeet sound!

Wish list (not in preference order):
- Pulley
- RDX 410 injectors
- 4 Piston calipers (possibly used from a TL Type S or RL) and larger slotted/cross drilled rotors.
- Subaru STI splitter
- Some type of rear chrome exhaust finisher
- LED daytime/High beam running lights
The following 2 users liked this post by Chrifff:
losiglow (01-08-2018), silverTL6 (07-08-2018)
Old 06-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How was the camber after the drop? Did you need to adjust them?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Hello itsdannylam,
I did take my vehicle in for alignment shortly after the springs were installed. Based on my the springs and my tires/rims, the camber is off by 1 degree or less from Acura ILX manufacture specifications (see below). Essentially was not really worth the $$$ in making further adjustments - The tires will wear slightly more but not really noticeable.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts
nice thread, man...
i follow now.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks rockstar..... I am still tinkering, so who knows how much more will be done!
rockstar143 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Great to know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Chrifff View Post
Hello itsdannylam,
I did take my vehicle in for alignment shortly after the springs were installed. Based on my the springs and my tires/rims, the camber is off by 1 degree or less from Acura ILX manufacture specifications (see below). Essentially was not really worth the $$$ in making further adjustments - The tires will wear slightly more but not really noticeable.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 268 Posts
Looking good, it's come pretty far!

Don't forget to keep us in mind for all your aftermarket needs: http://hoa.excelerateperformance.com/

Good luck, interested to see whats next!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 407 Likes on 192 Posts
Wow, very sweet upgrades. Love what you've done with the headlights and taillights.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4cruizn View Post
Wow, very sweet upgrades. Love what you've done with the headlights and taillights.
Thanks!
The front and rear lights are two areas that really bothered me since I first saw the car in 2013. I really wanted to do something about them as soon as I got the vehicle. Most of the work on the car I have done myself, and fixing the front headlights doesn't really cost anything except epoxy and a clip removal tool (which is actually pretty handy to use - used it for the sub replacement in the rear trunk). However it takes some patience and time to take off the bumper (which is also needed to install the cold air intake). I don't think I would have had the guts to attempt removal of the bumper if I had not done it on my 2008 Honda Civic SI where I had changed the headlight assembly to projector lenses.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 650 Posts
How straight forward was the tail light install? Did electrical match up?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by usdmJON View Post
How straight forward was the tail light install? Did electrical match up?
Hey Jon,
The side taillights are plug and play (exact fit) - These will take literally 10-15 mins tops to replace. The tricky part is the trunk lid ones, this requires two things:
1) Removal of a couple screws in the trunk lid and pulling apart a portion of the sticky adhesive to remove the lid and extract the original 1st gen taillights.
2) The brake lights are plug and play however you do need to run a set of wires to power the LED lights (this is not necessary for the side/outer lights). I spliced the power needed from the license plate lights.

I am debating on running a separate thread on a "How To" for this mod, if there is enough interest that is....?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Clean mods, I like it.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wilspainar View Post
Clean mods, I like it.
Thanks, I really like what I have done so far. Unfortunately in the area I am from there really isn't many people that upgrade or modify the ILX. I think I have seen one other on the road which was lowered with rims. The look I am going for is more modern with tweaks that I think are more beneficial, but nothing super radical/extreme.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Very Impressed. Your car appears to be heading into one of those "Best of Both Worlds" builds.

Look forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iRaw View Post
Very Impressed. Your car appears to be heading into one of those "Best of Both Worlds" builds.

Look forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Thanks! I do like the new version along with some of the new tech, but I just had to stick with the manual. Would have picked up an "A Spec" if it had the shifter, although there is some design lines and features of the original ILX I appreciate over the 2nd gen.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so I finally got around to installing the next performance mod

Ahhhh-Yeah!!! And this one is good for a whopping zero HP increase.....

This is just a cheap bolt on exhaust tip that has a bend in the pipe. The hole on the bottom is actually where the exhaust exits the finisher.

I had noticed someone else try this and I figured why not, it is fairly cheap.

Truth be told, I am still debating on cutting away a portion of the bumper to put a proper tip on, but this will have to do until then.
visi_d (04-09-2019)
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Ok... Ok... I know, the exhaust tip was just a teaser. My actual next mod was the RBC intake manifold, and this one should be good for a few extra ponies!!!

This took a bit longer to do than expected and was not quite an exact match.

I did pick up the conversion gaskets and fuel injector spacers.

This is the old stock two piece intake manifold.

The black plastic piece has a resonator built inside, partly the reason for air restriction.

Ahhhh, finally after some coolant spilln' the space is now available for the RBC.
Close up of the valves.

Fits like a glove! Shot wit the fuel injector spacers.

Phew, finally all done. Close fit, but she is in there! Looks much more premium over the cheapo plastic (IMO).Sorry the engine/area looks dirty, I did not get the chance to clean things up.

Also, my CAI had to be moved, making it more of a short ram intake as the throttle body of the RBC is in a different location. I may keep it this way, unless I figure a better way to route it.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 407 Likes on 192 Posts
Still coming along nicely!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 14,039 Likes on 10,432 Posts
putting in work!!

awesome job!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

one of my favorites i've seen on here!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KorbenDallas_SC View Post
one of my favorites i've seen on here!
Thanks Korben, appreciate it. I have put some work in, getting close to finishing I think. But there are a couple things still on my wish list.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good man! Do you notice much of a difference in power? Any idea of hp gained?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MAHONEY507 View Post
Looks good man! Do you notice much of a difference in power? Any idea of hp gained?
I definitely feel a difference in the performance pick up of the vehicle. There are people out there that would say these mods would provide a nominal difference - I would have to disagree with them. I thought that the ILX needed an additional 20ish ponies, and I feel I have at least obtained that. In the past couple days I have been debating on taking it in to get a dyno done. Probably with just the mods (Intake; RBC manifold; and Downpipe - Flashing the Hondata tune back to stock), and again with the everything inclusive of the tune.

What I can tell you is that when it comes to me and the feel I get from the car, I feel it. Then there is of course the sound, the RV6 downpipe provided a louder low end grunt, I haven't added a cat back exhaust as I believe the gains are nominal and I want the car to drive decently without any low drown sound at highway speeds, I hate cars that are so loud they just fart down the street when cruising. The Injen intake has a bit of a whistle sound, more noticeable after having to route up from its cold air (behind the driver side bumper, to up in the engine bay) position. The RBC intake, now that is a beast. If you had ever driven a previous generation SI and heard when it went into Vtec, that sweet growl as the engine works letting u know u are pushing the pedal to the floor, now that is what I missed in my old 2008 Civic SI and it is back!!!

I can't tell you what is best for you, but my mods I am paying Canadian dollars (with the exchange and shipping) which cost a few bucks, I am saving by installing it with a friend. I feel I have got my moneys worth and learned a few things along the way.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Wow, you've done a lot of great work so far! Your ILX looks awesome. Mind if I ask where you got the chrome exhaust tip? Does is rub/rattle on the bumper at all?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chrifff View Post
I definitely feel a difference in the performance pick up of the vehicle. There are people out there that would say these mods would provide a nominal difference - I would have to disagree with them. I thought that the ILX needed an additional 20ish ponies, and I feel I have at least obtained that. In the past couple days I have been debating on taking it in to get a dyno done. Probably with just the mods (Intake; RBC manifold; and Downpipe - Flashing the Hondata tune back to stock), and again with the everything inclusive of the tune.

What I can tell you is that when it comes to me and the feel I get from the car, I feel it. Then there is of course the sound, the RV6 downpipe provided a louder low end grunt, I haven't added a cat back exhaust as I believe the gains are nominal and I want the car to drive decently without any low drown sound at highway speeds, I hate cars that are so loud they just fart down the street when cruising. The Injen intake has a bit of a whistle sound, more noticeable after having to route up from its cold air (behind the driver side bumper, to up in the engine bay) position. The RBC intake, now that is a beast. If you had ever driven a previous generation SI and heard when it went into Vtec, that sweet growl as the engine works letting u know u are pushing the pedal to the floor, now that is what I missed in my old 2008 Civic SI and it is back!!!

I can't tell you what is best for you, but my mods I am paying Canadian dollars (with the exchange and shipping) which cost a few bucks, I am saving by installing it with a friend. I feel I have got my moneys worth and learned a few things along the way.
Hell yeah man! That's one thing I really miss about my RSX is the sound/feel of VTEC...
Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the inquiry and comments....

The tail pipe finisher will burn/melt a portion of the bumper if you leave it touching like I did, make sure it does not touch, it only lightly singed the lower underside of mine, I thought that because only a portion of it was actually touching the car exhaust I would be fine - But no, I only drove if for a short while like 20 mins and I noticed it later. I moved it out a bit further and it appears to be fine ( a few mm should be fine, as long as it isn't touching). This thing is only attached by two screws that are tightened by a supplied allen key/hex key. I used lock tight along with lock washers and so far no rattles or shakes!

Personally I feel that if it burned the inner bumper to much or fell off I would just cut away the bumper and put in a proper finisher, however so far so good.

Here is the link (I think this is the one I used - make sure it is the one that fits the CRV - the exhaust is larger than some other ones):

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Car looks great. Helps give me a lot of ideas.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a set of Enkei NT03-M 18 x 8.5 +38 and the wheels are a little recessed. Car is lowered on springs. Do you know the offset of your wheels? I'm looking at spacers now, I don't think I could get away with 25mm like you did.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I will have to check a little later, I have my original receipt at home filed away. I believe they actually may be the same size rims as yours. You can always just measure out with a ruler and see how much you need to make it look more flush with the wheel well. My car was also lowered with Tein S-Tech 1.5" progressive springs. However I am still questioning to see if my WRX STI front splitter will work. I have a steep driveway and think I might be rubbing/catching it if I install it.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Hello Twelve AM,
I'm sorry for the delay on my response. My mistake my rims are actually 18" x 7.5" with a 45mm offset. You can still measure out to see how wide of a spacer you will need. Best of luck!
TWELVE AM (08-28-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:32 AM

was the taillight conversion just a plug and play? or did you have to change anything to the car?
Old 09-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Hello Hiimbaysic,

The taillight conversion is a very easy plug and play for the two side taillight pieces (5 min or less job for each side), however it is a little more work for the two within the trunk lid. It requires some splicing of wires to power the LED night lights as there are no light elements (beside back/reverse up lights) in the original 2013-2015 stock lights, also it is more work to get to the taillights in the trunk.

Personally I had wanted to do this mod ever since I got the vehicle and thought it should be able to be done as it looked like a easy match, however I can't take all the cred as I was not the first to do this on the forums.

You are not the only one that has shown interest in doing this.... If you are serious or others are interested I can start a "How to" thread???
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Ok firstly, I must say I am sorry it has been a while since I have posted any updates = I have done a couple minor additions but have never got around to posting it... So here goes:

I have been wanting to address the headlights for a while, yes they come stock with HID bulbs however the color temp at 4300 kelvin is a little too yellow for my liking (and yes I know 4300 K is a bit better for illumination, but I wanted a different color temp).
It is pretty easy to access the bulbs, although it is better if you have smaller hands (haha)

The stock bulb is a standard Philips DS2 35 Watt
Stock Bulb on the right; aftermarket 35 Watt DS2 5500 K color temp on the left (Looks like it will fit.... Hmmmm, lets see...)!
Alas, it fits!!! Again stock on the right at 4300 K and aftermarket 5500 K on the left - Definitely a cleaner white hue.

5500 K - Off centre shot 4300 K Off centre shot 4300 K on the left; 5500 K on the right; 3000 K HID conversion to fog lights on the bottom.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Okay so that was the main bulbs but what about the daytime driving lights/high beams (Bulb size: 9005)??? I have been wanting to upgrade them as well and to change them over to LED bulbs however I have been waiting to find something that would show a dramatical difference between highs and lows - Especially if I needed to high beam another driver. FINALLY I have my answer!!!

Nope, not a product plug - I do not work for Saber.

These have a built in fan, but you can't hear them. Yes they fit, and yes it is plug in play. I did not need an additional harness and they worked without any error codes. I have included a picture of them turned on below, however the picture does not do it any justice. Also just in case you were wondering the high beam is very bright with a decent throw distance which can be an issue with some other LED bulbs!

LED bulbs don't really do well in pictures, they look much better than this on.
High beam spill, yes they are very bright - I would say they are definitely brighter than stock. Sorry I did not include a picture of them from the cockpit, but trust me they are bright!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Next was to stiffn' up the ride with a well known easy and cheap mod! The Honda Civic rear sway bar upgrade! Some people on the forums have done this one and I figured I would give it a go as well. For me I have to admit I can feel a difference in the ride and how it corners, the rear end does seem to handle a little better (that is because of the offset difference between the front and the rear - The front sway bar is still stock).

Stock ILX 2.4 L Dynamic sway bar on the left, Honda Civic SI sway bar on the right. There is a very notable difference - I believe about 30%

I know some of you are wondering and yes, like almost all of my mods I did this myself. Currently no creaks or torsion issues!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

My next mod is purely cosmetic: The Subaru STI Splitter! Now to be completely honest I have been sitting on this one for a while for good reason...

This is my car coming out of my driveway...
Dammnnnn that's close. Not quite sure the splitter will fit. It is supposed to be about 2 inches. Doh!
​​​​​​Well maybe I'll give it a try in the spring, until then it will just take up space in my garage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.