Sticky Rear Caliper

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sticky Rear Caliper

Hello friends, seeking some advice about a sticky rear caliper.

I replaced the rear brake pads, rotors, calipers and a brake flush 3 months ago and they worked fine during this time. The other day, I noticed the left rear brakes are very hot (infrared temperature measured up to 355F while the right rear was around 120F). It seems like the caliper piston is not returning, but when I removed the brakes to clean and reassemble, the piston would clockwise by hand with a prybar. It sounds like air getting pressed back in when I pressed the pedal (like the fluid overheated/vaporized a bit). So I believe there is not a pinched/damaged brake hose, and I also noticed when trying to reinstall the parking brake cable that it is very tight and doesn't want to fit back on the caliper.

My thought is that the parking brake cable is defective and needs to be replaced (picture attached), and that the caliper got damaged from the cable putting too much strain on the caliper. Any ideas about the cable and replacement recommendations, haven't replaced this cable before or adjusted it. Will likely need a new caliper after.

Furthermore, can I twist the piston in the caliper back in a little bit to take some force off the rotor and drive until I replace the cable and caliper (100 miles or less)? I think the parking brake mechanism adjusts the pads in as they wear, but I don't think they will wear so much in 100 miles.