Transmission pan mishap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022 | 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Transmission pan mishap

Hello all,
So, after 60,000 miles of waiting for the transmission fluid change code to come up, I finally decided I was going to change the ATF in my ILX dual clutch transmission. I decided to buy a fluid transfer pump that screwed into the quart bottle. It worked fine and I had pumped out a little over 4 quarts into the transmission pan in a very short amount of time. However, the "bummer" was that I had decided to spend about 3 more dollars on a fluid pump that had a little plastic gadget that was supposed to "help" hold the plastic tube in the fill hole. Well, the tube kept slipping outwards and I tried to position the plastic piece further in. It actually went in a little too far... Of course as I tried to pull it back out the plastic fitting decided to take a dive inside of the transmission...Its about an inch and a half long, hollow and maybe about the thickness of a pen or pencil. (I was on my back in the driveway and having some trouble accessing and seeing the fill hole as I worked)

Does anyone know if this plastic piece is just going to "hang out" in the transmission pan around a filter screen or get into a bunch of mischief throughout the system as it tears, brakes or melts?
The car is running fine, but it's quite a downer not knowing what might happen...

I've done transmission fills successfully on Civics and Mazda's and never had this kind of a mishap before. I followed all the relevant instructions and it ruined an otherwise perfect diy project.
Any helpful advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Water

Old 08-12-2022 | 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving it in there and would get one of those small pick up/grabber tools and go fishing in there to get it out