2016 ILX A-Spec - Most Dash Backlighting Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 ILX A-Spec - Most Dash Backlighting Out

Hey there. This is my first post, but I just experienced a strange backlighting failure in my 2016 ILX A-Spec this past weekend. I was at Disneyland in the parking structure Saturday, and as I was leaving, a lot of the interior illumination suddenly went out in the car. The items that went out are:

1) VSA Switch
2) Road Departure Mitigation Switch
3) CMBS Switch
4) Footwell Illumination Switch (Honda accessory from Crosstour/Civic, I'll explain below)
5) Climate Controls
6) Passenger Airbag Status Indicator
7) Nav/Radio Buttons and Interface Dial
8) Heated Seat Switches
9) PRNDL
10) Overhead LED Ambient Lighting
11) Overhead Homelink/AcuraLink Buttons

I worked for Honda corporate in Torrance before as an engineer and technical writer, so I have some knowledge of the car. I installed two footwell LEDs and one pocket LED (below the climate control) from a Civic interior light kit and the switch/wiring from an Accord Crosstour interior light switch when I got the car in June 2016. I did tap into the CMBS/RDMS switches for illumination/power back then, but I know this has nothing to do with it because the illumination failure is coming from the main source, not where I locally tapped into. This is a modified kit just to tap into the ILX. It's nice and lights up the footwells at night in the blue color.

I checked the F35 fuse for illumination, but it's good, plus when the lights turn on, the climate control and AcuraLink status indicators dim as intended. Also, the Hazard button still illuminates, which is odd because it is on the same circuit as the illumination that is not working. The hazard switch uses an incandescent bulb, where the others are LED. So maybe it's an LED driver problem in the gauge cluster. I don't know, I'm not the tech. =) Just thinking out loud and wanted to give you as much information as I know.

Has anyone else had a similar failure? I dropped the car off at the dealership this morning, so we will see what they come back at.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I would remove the modifications you did and then let the warranty fix the issue.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schen72
I would remove the modifications you did and then let the warranty fix the issue.
No need to. I actually worked at Honda Corporate for a while and neatly integrated the connector into the existing harness. You wouldn't know looking that I added it.

In addition, the dealer just called me. He confirmed my modification had nothing to do with the failure. They are ordering an instrument cluster because apparently the dimmer circuit inside that controls the dash lighting, failed. Car will be fixed Thursday when the part comes in.

Strange failure at less than 12K miles and two years of age.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Agree. Very rare for this stuff to fail so early. Hopefully it was just defective and not a flawed design.