2016 ILX 8spd DCT Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to say that I have had the same experience. I thought the guy behind me hit me. One other time, I thought I had run over something. Subsequently, a jolt scared my daughter and granddaughter. Seems to be when the car is cold, and I am slightly up hill. Are you able to reproduce it?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ilx trans issue new to post

I dropped my 2016 ILX off at the dealer today. it has all the issues you are talking about R to D the trans slams, gear searching, surging while slowing down and speeding up. they called and cannot find an issue keeping overnight. what to do
The following users liked this post:
NancyRuth (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
If its common enough to repeat, have your sales advisor go with you on a test drive so you can show it happening.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Shane Do
My car has the same issue as well. Sometimes when I come to a stop, the transmission makes a sudden shock likes someone hit me! I wonder if I'm having a lime car!
Good luck with that - I also brought mine to the dealer, and the manager kept the car for the weekend, but was unable to reproduce the problem. I could go several weeks without it occurring. Are you able to make it happen?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thmanx
If its common enough to repeat, have your sales advisor go with you on a test drive so you can show it happening.
no I cannot duplicate the issue I will pick the car up from the dealer with no resolve will just document all the return trip back to dealer. this is so sad I owned the same Acura for 20 years only sold it because it was old, never had a single issue. is there nothing they can do?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Similar issues with my 2016 ILX

I'm leasing the 2016 ILX and literally have only had it for about a month. I didn't notice the "jerking" between the lower gears when accelerating at pretty low speeds until a few days after having the car. I let it go on for a couple of days and within that timeframe realized there was more of a delay when switching from R-->D...maybe nothing wrong here, but it's definitely a noticeable difference from my 2013 ILX Tech.

I ended up bringing it back to the dealer and they gave me a 2016 TLX as a loaner. I tried to pay attention to any of the jerking motions that I was experiencing in the ILX, but really didn't notice any...definitely seemed like a smoother ride. Anyways, one of the secretaries at the dealership called me back saying that they saw a discrepancy in the computer and were going to make a simple modification....and also that my transmission fluid needed to be topped off. Then I got to the dealer signed the paperwork and when I looked at what had been done, only the transmission fluid was a part of the visit. No reference to any computer modification had been done, so I'm curious as to whether or not any of you were aware of anything that had been released by Acura for the dealership to apply at the car's computer level....I'm probably going to be heading back to the dealer soon to see if they can take another look or see if I can have someone come with me on a drive so they know I'm not crazy.

My wife is leasing the 2016 MDX and her car is noticeable smoother when changing gears than mine is. Any info you guys have would be great!

Tom
loved my old acura (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the post
Old 03-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

I am keeping a log of all the issues the transmission has been of late but car is sure sluggish when you give it gas, lane changing is very difficult at times. now the most recent problem i keep my lights and wipers set on auto but my lights turned off and off 4 times in a 3 mile span on a sunny day and the next evening at dusk in the rain i could not get the auto lights/ wipers to turn themselves on. I think the whole computer is whacked.
Lucky for you it's a lease, I wrote a check for mine, now what???
Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

oh forgot to actually answer your question my dealer told me there is no computer upgrades or changes at this time that have come across from Acura. they also told me they have not seen an issue with the ILX not sure about that
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I've only had my '16 ILX for about a week, but I have noticed when coming to a stop, I can "feel" the gears cycling down to 1st gear. It does seem a little "clunky" at times and it makes it hard to come to a perfectly smooth stop. I've read that this is one of the attributes of a DCT. My other cars are all conventional automatics, which are smoother coming to a stop but definitely shifts much slower when accelerating.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

my ILX is sluggish i hit the gas and it has a delay not a good thing in traffic trying to change lanes. not to mention all the other odd things it does.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by loved my old acura
my ILX is sluggish i hit the gas and it has a delay not a good thing in traffic trying to change lanes. not to mention all the other odd things it does.
Very interesting. I've found my gas pedal to be very responsive -- almost too responsive. I have to be sure to very gently push on it otherwise I'll lurch forward way too fast. I'll keep an eye on the throttle response and see if it changes as I drive it more. Car has just over 300 miles on it so far.
ChrisS (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Shane Do
My car has the same issue as well. Sometimes when I come to a stop, the transmission makes a sudden shock likes someone hit me! I wonder if I'm having a lime car!
I have had my 2016 ILX since Thanksgiving and am experiencing the same issues. My car has been at the dealership for almost 4 weeks and they have not been able to duplicate or provide a solution. Not only do I experience the "sudden shock", but I am also experiencing the random loss of power when accelerating and it feels as if the transmission is jerking when I reduce speed.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Transmission issues

I am sad to report that I am having the same issues with my new ilx.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

at the dealer for 4 weeks, what the heck did you have a loaner? what do they say after all this time. I have logged over 20 issues in a 30 day span but they can be so random how will it ever do these things at the dealer.
I have a question about the touch screen when i set the wallpaper backdrop it goes away after turning the car off, this cannot be right. so it always defaults to the gray screen that states audio off. anyone have this issue?
has anyone considered the lemon law? I am beside myself with all the issues I frankly dont feel safe driving the car.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 PM
9th Gear

I own a 2015 TLX and 2016 ILX both with the DCT. I haven't noticed the delay in shifting to reverse, but I have felt a slight shock at times when coming to a stop. This is on both the ILX & TLX.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by loved my old acura
At times I experience the same, but other times my car jumps very quickly. I haven't been able to figure out how and why, whether it is a certain speed i'm going or certain gear I'm in that makes it faster or slower to react.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I personally feel like this is just a quality of the type of transmission it is using. My 05 civic was slower when you really needed power, but also smoother. People that get in my car think my car is extremely smooth, but personally I feel like it's very jumpy. I had the family come on a trip with me last weekend, and the car was full of adults, and all of a sudden I couldn't feel the jumpiness at all. Same with the TLX, when I have it as a loaner. I feel like the transmission jumps and since the car is light you feel it more.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

2016 Acura ILX

I purchased a 2016 ILX in the fall and the transmission is very aggravating. When shifting in low gears 1st - 2nd to 3rd there is a big clunk almost like its not in gear. Also around 40km it feels like it is jumping out of gear.

Honda Canada does not recognize that there is an issue and believes that is the normal shifting pattern.

A big mistake in purchasing the car, buyer be where. Don't buy one of these cars, purchase an Audi.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM
6th Gear

Anyone had any thoughts on filing a lemon law suit?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bdynes007
I purchased a 2016 ILX in the fall and the transmission is very aggravating. When shifting in low gears 1st - 2nd to 3rd there is a big clunk almost like its not in gear. Also around 40km it feels like it is jumping out of gear.

Honda Canada does not recognize that there is an issue and believes that is the normal shifting pattern.

A big mistake in purchasing the car, buyer be where. Don't buy one of these cars, purchase an Audi.
stay on your dealer I have many issues have had the car at the dealer 3 times have a brand new ILX to keep for a few days to compare my car to I think I have a lemon
Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So.... All you people complaining about the "clunk" this is a manual transmission, it will behave as such have you vet tried putting a manual into first while decelerating? Also this "loss of power" or "jumping out of gear" at around let's say 30mph? That due to the torque converter locking an the engine bogging a slight from it, conventional automatics is an engine speed controlled torque converter, the ilx and tlx use a wheel speed controlled converter so once you hit about 30mph the torque converter stops slipping and locks, this is to give you a smooth stop and go transition without a clutch. You really need to know how it all works and is designed to understand why it behave the way it does. I can only imagine the complaints you guys would have if you drove a VW or BMW version of a DCT , hint no tq converter.
The following 2 users liked this post by slow-k24:
Joseph Park (07-05-2016), The6ix (11-20-2018)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear

Update...Acura Client Services is now ignoring my issue. They have failed to respond to a letter that was sent over a month ago and the agent has not returned my call after ai left a voice message. All they did was push the issue bak to the local dealer who states that he can not duplicate any of the problems and therefore cannot offer any further assistance.

DO NOT BUY AN ACURA!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, original poster here. So, an update on my situation...

The car, now with 18K miles, has been in to Acura many times, and they have yet to notice the near stall-outs, lagging gears, and slow responsiveness that seems to plague this transmission. As a workaround, I now drive almost exclusively in sportshifting mode (paddle shifters). However, today, I noticed that my gear indicator started flashing, and the gears won't manually change based on my paddle-shift command. I downshift to 1, it flashes, then jumps to 3. I downshift to 2, if flashes, then jumps to 1. It goes up and down, and there's no reason to it. Regular "D" automatic seems to work fine, for the moment, Looks like the tranny may be failing (at worst), or the pressure sensors may need replacing (at best).

Not a happy camper. I'll keep you all updated.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by SENATOR

The car, now with 18K miles, has been in to Acura many times, and they have yet to notice the near stall-outs, lagging gears, and slow responsiveness that seems to plague this transmission. As a workaround, I now drive almost exclusively in sportshifting mode (paddle shifters). However, today, I noticed that my gear indicator started flashing, and the gears won't manually change based on my paddle-shift command. I downshift to 1, it flashes, then jumps to 3. I downshift to 2, if flashes, then jumps to 1. It goes up and down, and there's no reason to it. Regular "D" automatic seems to work fine, for the moment, Looks like the tranny may be failing (at worst), or the pressure sensors may need replacing (at best).

That definitely doesn't sound good...kinda makes me worry that it'll happen to my car one day
Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have had my 16 ILX premium for 2 weeks and shy of 500 miles and sometimes I do notice "bump" of the tranny dropping back into 1st gear after a semi-hard stop. But this seems like the same thing on my 2010 Accord Coupe V6 with VCM, where it would be herky jerky when down shifting. Even my 2016 RDX would occasional have the same bump. I have noticed 1-2 times when putting the car in reverse I feel a thump. Also sometimes sudden acceleration does lag when I floor it, but in sport mode this isn't apparent.

Overall I am not sure if there are any problems? From the forums and lack info the 8 speed ins't an issue
Old 07-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by slow-k24
So.... All you people complaining about the "clunk" this is a manual transmission, it will behave as such have you vet tried putting a manual into first while decelerating? Also this "loss of power" or "jumping out of gear" at around let's say 30mph? That due to the torque converter locking an the engine bogging a slight from it, conventional automatics is an engine speed controlled torque converter, the ilx and tlx use a wheel speed controlled converter so once you hit about 30mph the torque converter stops slipping and locks, this is to give you a smooth stop and go transition without a clutch. You really need to know how it all works and is designed to understand why it behave the way it does. I can only imagine the complaints you guys would have if you drove a VW or BMW version of a DCT , hint no tq converter.
I think this is the best explanation. Again nothing wrong, just alarming for people like myself who normally drive pure automatics.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 PM

So out of all the complaints on this thread, not a single post has had any answers from Acura. No one has gotten any kind of software update or part replacement?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SENATOR

Why would you ever down shift to gear one while driving. That is how you break trannys because just like a manual car 1st gear is only for starting up from a stop
Old 07-10-2016, 07:13 PM

test drove a 2016 ilx today for comparison. the late model 2016's and 2017's definitely seemed to have fixed the issue. Whether or not acura admits it, they did do something different in the last couple months to fix the transmission issues.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

I am also experiencing the same "jerking" issues when the car down shift before a stop while driving in D mode. I am not sure if there's a way to fix this without driving in S mode as this is quite bothering when you drive.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

dealer gave me a new one from the lot to compare to mine and the new one drove fine, but Acura now will not do anything about my car, no codes come up they cant repair. it's a joke
not sure what to do, trade for an Audi??? I am sick about the whole thing
Old 08-16-2016, 12:10 AM

So acura gave the tlx 8dct a software update that fixed some of it's issues...why didn't the ilx 8dct get an update also?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I will share a story that I posted on the TLX side. I was at the dealer to pick up parts for my TL. Service manager came over to chat. I asked if Acura has figured out the 9 speed ZF yet and his reply was "still a mess". I then asked about the DCT and his reply was "same". I was all set to buy a TLX V6 but I hate the lag in the ZF. I did not notice any problems on my test drives with the 8 speed DCT, seemed to drive well,.....but when the Acura guy tells you that there is still a problem (unlike everyone else who denies like crazy)....

Really hope that Acura can get these issues resolved. I would love to buy a TLX or ILX but think that I have to wait until these problems get resolved.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:19 AM
1st Gear

Angry 2016 ilx downshifting

I've had my 2016 ILX since they were first distributed to the dealers in March 2015. The unsettling downshifting "clanking" has been an issue since the very beginning.
I discussed it with the dealer on several of my service visits and was told that they were able to duplicate the issue, but that all of the ILXs have that issue, which I confirmed when they provided me with the same vehicle as a loaner. Yhey told me that they contacted corporate Tech and that it is normal. Normal! really?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Recently traded in a 2013 2.0 cvt for the 2017 dct and I don't experience any of the issues some of you are reporting. I find the 8 speed buttery smooth when in D upsift and downshift.

​​​​​​Tested going from R to D and floored it and no delay.

When in manual mode shifts are so quick and precise, the shifts on the 2.0 cvt was slow.

I love how I can go from 4th to 2nd gear skipping 3rd.

I honestly like this 8spd dct over my Audi 8 spd
Old 11-13-2016, 03:31 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
Honestly for a first (and a half) time out of the design park. The Acura 8speed DCT performs way better then it should. It's genuinely within 15% of the legendary E90 M3 as far as shift speed and predictability.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:20 PM
4th Gear

Hello. Me and my fiancée. Bought a 2016 acura ilx. 2.4L dct 8spd. It now has 21000km
It's interesting hearing the complaints. I have similar conditions with my transmissions. I don't call them issues because mostly I believe it's the design of the transmission. Mine will have that harsh downshift or on light acelleration from slow speeds it will have a harsh engagement on acelleration. I could see the average customer complaining about this. Mines been acting like this from day one. We bought it with 11000km.

I believe updates do wonderful things for vehicles. Nice to know they have an update for the tlx. I'm going to bring ours in for a few other issues and mention the transmission issue and see what they say.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Adding my voice to the list.

I leased (2) new 2016 Tech A-specs earlier this year, an early 2015 build (silver) and a late 2015 build (black). The early 2015 build (mine) exhibits all the tranny issues reported here, while the late build (my wife's) doesn't. Based on that, seems like either an ongoing quality control issue (only effecting some vehicles) or a problem they resolved in later builds and have yet to release a fix for earlier builds.

I reported the issues to my service tech and they said they couldn't reproduce, but had similar compaints from other customers. That said, the tranny has gotten a bit smoother as I've put more miles on mine (at approx 6k)...but still get the occassional "clunk" when coming to a moderate to abrupt stop.

Would be nice to see them release an update like they did for the TLX.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

my ILX has got much worse the reverse to drive shift is a loud slam, clunk noise and even worse the car will not shift gears while driving I pulled out onto the road and the car winds up and the tach races and the car will not shift gears and sadly when it does this I say out loud in my car " just blow up" also I was pulling out onto a street and the car would not go, I look down and I am in D and keep pressing the gas more and more and finally it jerks and goes. I even had an ordeal when a car was letting me out of a busy business drive and my car would not go, my husband accused me of not having the car in gear and it was!!!!!.
I plan on getting rid of it in the spring, but what do I buy??? i am gun shy about new cars now

Quick Reply: 2016 ILX 8spd DCT Transmission Issues