RV6 Performance A-pipe + secondary cat delete product idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb RV6 Performance A-pipe + secondary cat delete product idea

Hello fellow ILX owners. While considering performance upgrades for my 2020 ILX, I have come across a situation that might allow for a new product to be made by RV6 Performance for our cars. I contacted them to suggest the product but they said it would only be worth their while if there was enough interest for it to be profitable. So let me explain the product and see if anyone else would be interested.

Specifically I would like to have a downpipe / A-pipe fabricated in 2.25" / 2.5" stainless complete with Honda OEM style flanges. I have done my research on the OEM parts and measured the piping in my current car, so I have pictures to show you what I am referring to.

This is a picture I found on eBay of the part for reference. The above pipe is the downpipe / A-pipe that comes off the catalytic converter and goes down under the engine to meet the cat back system. I measured my car's pipe at 2.12" outer (I suspect 2.0" inner) diameter. According to exhaust pipe calculators, this is a major restriction on the 2.4 L Honda K24 engine in this car. The product suggestion I made to RV6 is to make a replacement pipe for our cars but larger diameter (2.25" or 2.5") to unlock more power with a bolt in part. My original request to RV6 was for a 2.25" pipe because I have measured the stock catalytic converter and it's exhaust exit pipe size is 2.25". I know their cat delete pipe is 2.5" so maybe they could offer my suggested pipe in 2.5" for wider appeal and cross marketing with that product. I know this can be done by local exhaust shops but not all of us have access to enthusiast level exhaust shops. The one shop in my area that would consider this request only offers pinch bent galvanized steel piping which is not ideal from a performance perspective.

Here is a diagram I found of the ILX's OEM exhaust system to show where the pipe goes, item #3 near the bottom left.
Another possible product suggestion would be a secondary cat delete pipe made to match the downpipe, or even have the downpipe continue down to meet the oem mounting point for the cat back at #12 in the above diagram. You can see that there is a second catalytic converter in our cars just after the A-pipe I referred to above. It's the piece just above the number 20 in the diagram.

What do you guys think? Is this something that any of you might be interested in buying if RV6 offered it? I am hoping that if we show enough interest, RV6 might consider making such a thing. As it stands right now, I don't see any point in putting any aftermarket cat-back exhausts on our cars. Most cat-backs are 2.5" diameter but if the exhaust is choking down to 2.0 before the cat-back then we are not gaining any real exhaust flow from the cat-backs.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I’d pay for this, even set up a deposit if needed.

Originally Posted by Quegyboe
Hello fellow ILX owners. While considering performance upgrades for my 2020 ILX, I have come across a situation that might allow for a new product to be made by RV6 Performance for our cars. I contacted them to suggest the product but they said it would only be worth their while if there was enough interest for it to be profitable. So let me explain the product and see if anyone else would be interested.

Specifically I would like to have a downpipe / A-pipe fabricated in 2.25" / 2.5" stainless complete with Honda OEM style flanges. I have done my research on the OEM parts and measured the piping in my current car, so I have pictures to show you what I am referring to.

This is a picture I found on eBay of the part for reference. The above pipe is the downpipe / A-pipe that comes off the catalytic converter and goes down under the engine to meet the cat back system. I measured my car's pipe at 2.12" outer (I suspect 2.0" inner) diameter. According to exhaust pipe calculators, this is a major restriction on the 2.4 L Honda K24 engine in this car. The product suggestion I made to RV6 is to make a replacement pipe for our cars but larger diameter (2.25" or 2.5") to unlock more power with a bolt in part. My original request to RV6 was for a 2.25" pipe because I have measured the stock catalytic converter and it's exhaust exit pipe size is 2.25". I know their cat delete pipe is 2.5" so maybe they could offer my suggested pipe in 2.5" for wider appeal and cross marketing with that product. I know this can be done by local exhaust shops but not all of us have access to enthusiast level exhaust shops. The one shop in my area that would consider this request only offers pinch bent galvanized steel piping which is not ideal from a performance perspective.

Here is a diagram I found of the ILX's OEM exhaust system to show where the pipe goes, item #3 near the bottom left.
Another possible product suggestion would be a secondary cat delete pipe made to match the downpipe, or even have the downpipe continue down to meet the oem mounting point for the cat back at #12 in the above diagram. You can see that there is a second catalytic converter in our cars just after the A-pipe I referred to above. It's the piece just above the number 20 in the diagram.

What do you guys think? Is this something that any of you might be interested in buying if RV6 offered it? I am hoping that if we show enough interest, RV6 might consider making such a thing. As it stands right now, I don't see any point in putting any aftermarket cat-back exhausts on our cars. Most cat-backs are 2.5" diameter but if the exhaust is choking down to 2.0 before the cat-back then we are not gaining any real exhaust flow from the cat-backs.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:19 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pay for this.
I'm also upset they discontinued the catless downpipe they had for this gen ILX.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I found an example of what I am talking about on a YouTube video someone posted. The video isn't a great example but at least shows what I am referring to in my original post.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quegyboe
I found an example of what I am talking about on a YouTube video someone posted. The video isn't a great example but at least shows what I am referring to in my original post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66eTOGphiy4

Would this fit?

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/j-pipe/a....145-h001.html
Old 07-01-2024, 09:48 AM
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Ouu yes. I'd pick up one of these to match my Ceramic Coated RV-6 PCD as well. That be nice.