Aem intake for a 2016+ ilx

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem intake for a 2016+ ilx

I was just curious if anyone has experience with this intake. I have a 2021 ILX and this is more of a short ram intake for it. I’ve noticed it gets quite hot under the hood. Even though it comes with a heat shield I’m concerned heat soak might be an issue. Is this just me being paranoid? I would assume AEM tested for this but I’d rather hear from anyone who has experience or has heard something about it. Reviews are extremely hard to come by for some reason.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had one on a 16', it is a nice quality piece and the intake sound is great when you're on throttle. I'm sure it pulls slightly hotter air vs. a cai routed way down in the bumper, but the air box that comes with it has rubber lining around the edges to help seal off the hotter ambient air coming from the motor itself. It's as far away from the heat as it can be while still being located in the actual engine bay. Here is Florida it pours every other day and I didn't want to risk the possibility of sucking up water via an alternative cold air intake with piping in the bumper/near the wheel well... slightly hotter IAT > a hydro locked motor any day IMO.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^what are doing, driving through lakes!??!

CAI won't hydrolock the motor with just rain.
you gotta submerge that sucker in like a foot of water to hydrolock the motor.

I mean, I get it...I live in Houston, where it floods constantly...very similar weather patterns to Florida. Hot and Humid! with storms that push through in a blink of an eye...and then 30 minutes later, no more rain.
but I dont be driving through flooded streets or parking lots. lol

in the more recent years, companies that I have worked for have been more lenient on storms, letting us out early before the storms hit... that's one way that I have avoided flooded streets.
another tactic that i've used is just staying at work till like 7pm lol

Last edited by justnspace; 10-07-2021 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
visi_d (02-23-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 05:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^what are doing, driving through lakes!??!

CAI won't hydrolock the motor with just rain.
you gotta submerge that sucker in like a foot of water to hydrolock the motor.

I mean, I get it...I live in Houston, where it floods constantly...very similar weather patterns to Florida. Hot and Humid! with storms that push through in a blink of an eye...and then 30 minutes later, no more rain.
but I dont be driving through flooded streets or parking lots. lol

in the more recent years, companies that I have worked for have been more lenient on storms, letting us out early before the storms hit... that's one way that I have avoided flooded streets.
another tactic that i've used is just staying at work till like 7pm lol
Lol - valid points. Unfortunately my driveway exists to a service road that constantly floods, often times above the midway mark on the rotors.

Avoidance is the best solution, but when necessary I've got to slowly pass through. Between my car's low ride height and lack of wheel well liners (squeezing 17x9+22) I'd just prefer to have the intake inlet positioned higher for some peace of mind. IAT temps have never been a problem, I repositioned the factory tube that would feed the original air box slightly so that it points directly at the SRI.🤷‍♂️
Old 02-22-2022, 10:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I track IAT's on Ktuner and it's around 120 with the car sitting idle after it's been running, gets up to 140 or so if it's been running hard and it's standing still. But once you get moving it goes down to 80 or so, depending on how hot it is outside.

I've got an Injen intake, but the placement is really similar to AEM.

Originally Posted by zakmllr
I was just curious if anyone has experience with this intake. I have a 2021 ILX and this is more of a short ram intake for it. I’ve noticed it gets quite hot under the hood. Even though it comes with a heat shield I’m concerned heat soak might be an issue. Is this just me being paranoid? I would assume AEM tested for this but I’d rather hear from anyone who has experience or has heard something about it. Reviews are extremely hard to come by for some reason.