2016+ ILX Performance Mods List/Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016+ ILX Performance Mods List/Help

Hey guys. I just purchased an ILX today and I want to start modifying the engine ASAP. I've read a lot on this forum and watched a lot of different YouTube videos but I'm not sure I have a clear understanding of which engine mods are the best. Here are my questions and I would love your feedback and suggestions.

1. CAI - AEM or Injen? Will this even make a difference?
2. Throttle body spacer?
3. Down Pipe - RV6 or Skunk2 (I saw on Youtube a guy that had a Skunk2 one but I can't find it)?
4. ECU Tuner - K-Tune?
5. Exhaust - muffler delete or K-tune? How is the cabin noise level?
6. Exhaust manifold - Skunk2 (is it worth it?)

What am I missing that are the "must dos" for this car?

Thank you
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by layton119
Hey guys. I just purchased an ILX today and I want to start modifying the engine ASAP. I've read a lot on this forum and watched a lot of different YouTube videos but I'm not sure I have a clear understanding of which engine mods are the best. Here are my questions and I would love your feedback and suggestions.

2. Throttle body spacer?
3. Down Pipe - RV6 or Skunk2 (I saw on Youtube a guy that had a Skunk2 one but I can't find it)?
4. ECU Tuner - K-Tune?

Thank you
I would say best bet is to do the downpipe and intake. Get a tune and call it a day. Exhaust wont do much with out a tune. The rest i wouldn't waste time and money.
The following users liked this post:
The6ix (10-03-2019)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for your advise visi_d! Any brand preferences with the intake (AEM looks like it pulls air from the top and Injen looks like it pulls air from the bottom of the engine bay)?

It looks like RV6 has come up with a good solution for the down pipe with the K-Tune and I'm thinking I'll go with that and the K-Tune exhaust then call it good. Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
Thanks for your advise visi_d! Any brand preferences with the intake (AEM looks like it pulls air from the top and Injen looks like it pulls air from the bottom of the engine bay)?

It looks like RV6 has come up with a good solution for the down pipe with the K-Tune and I'm thinking I'll go with that and the K-Tune exhaust then call it good. Thanks again!
They will probly perform the same. Car will sound more aggressive. With those intake designs you will loose a little throttle response/low end and probably gain little more up top.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:56 PM
4th Gear

Thanks. I will be using the Pedal Commander to help with the throttle response. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with RV6. Worked great and was very easy to install. Too bad I took it out to sell the car :\
Old 11-02-2018, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

2. Throttle body spacer?
4. ECU Tuner - K-Tune?

Thank you
If you're going to get an intake, get one that pulls the air from outside of the engine compartment, like this one: https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-per...i-pics-972346/
The RV6 downpipe removes the cat and therefore will increase airflow. The faster you can get the air out, the faster you can get it in: https://www.rv6-p.com/rv6-pcd-tm-dow...base-tune.html This link also comes with the Ktuner base map that is made to work with the downpipe and intake, I believe.
As for an exhaust, I'm going to do a custom build with 3" mandrel bent pipes while utilizing the stock muffler to try and keep the noise down a bit.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM
7th Gear

new to Acura. doesn't seem like there are a lot of upgrade options for 2016 ILX's. darn!
Old 12-13-2023, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Hackattack07

i went with RV6. Worked great and was very easy to install. Too bad I took it out to sell the car :\
do you still have the downpipe? I’ve been looking for one to buy for my car for years. I would really appreciate an opportunity to get it