Door Rattle - Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Rattle - Aftermarket Speakers

I let my local audio shop put in some new door speakers. They were Kicker K series 6.75's. They added some bass in the doors for sure, but now I have a terrible rattle on the driver side door. Any idea what would cause the door rattle in the ILX? Anyone else have this experience so I can maybe lead them to the direct source of rattle. It's rattling around the door handle and the tweeter. Truthfully I don't trust their car audio skills at all after dealing with them this time, but that's another story.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
It's most likely a plastic clip or a component that's making the rattling noise. Did they use any sound dampening material? Maybe take apart the latch and tape up some of the interconnects... I use memory foam and pad certain areas that may be causing unwanted noises but that's just my way of a "quick fix". This is especially true if I don't want to take the entire door panel off.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seth.hackworth
I let my local audio shop put in some new door speakers. They were Kicker K series 6.75's. They added some bass in the doors for sure, but now I have a terrible rattle on the driver side door. Any idea what would cause the door rattle in the ILX? Anyone else have this experience so I can maybe lead them to the direct source of rattle. It's rattling around the door handle and the tweeter. Truthfully I don't trust their car audio skills at all after dealing with them this time, but that's another story.
I had this issue when I swapped my speakers out on my 2019 ILX. No idea how I caused it to rattle or if I caused it to rattle in the first place. I wasn't paying attention to little sounds like that prior to the speaker install. Mine was a metal rattle that wasn't super loud but extremely annoying.

1. If you push in on the door handle while driving does it eliminate the rattle?
2. If so on mine I put rubber seal(similar to door seal) that they use on camper shells vertical above the screw and below where the door handle is. This put enough pressure on that sheet metal area to stop my rattle.

Another way to start looking for the problem is take the door panel completely off and drive it to try and locate the rattle location.

Hope this helps.

Regards.