What do you think of the RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you think of the RLX?

I am excited AND disappointed for Acura on this car. First time I ever have such a feeling for a car. The hybrid (correct me if I am wrong) will have 370hp and 4 motors? 2 in the front 2 in the back helping out the handling and grip with the standard 310 hp motor for the regular model. The car is going have a 5 series price range (55k-75k) but much bigger then both A6 or 5 Series in terms of legroom and seem to be just a tiny bit smaller then a 7 series. The look is subjective. I like the weird look imo and finally, a car that looks like a car in the Acura brand that fits the "luxury" status (other then the exotic NSX).

The inside/tech is what I am really worried about for the car. Not talking about the interior (which looks gorgeous) but the actually inside look on the dash and the tech. Correct me but it looks nearly identical from the 2013 Accord ! I think the four layer design of the dash is extremely unnecessary but perhaps it fits for an Accord. I think a car that is going to cost twice as much as an Accord should not share the same tech. ! The 8 inch screen on the Nav. is the same thing in my ILX!WTH! I don't know if I should be happy for my ILX or feel sad for the RLX. I hope I am wrong about this but so far from what I read this might be the case.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
I think it's a complete win, head to toe. It shows Acura has finally decided which direction they're going with their cars. And, it shows in the ILX and RDX. This revamp has set a good trend and I think as far as Tech Acura is usually on point so I will say it's going to be a powerhouse contender in it's group, atleast that's what Acura needs.

When it does finally come out.. I hope it gets great reviews.

I want to hear reviewers say "Acura has finally solidfied a flagship sedan".. not "Acura didn't quite get it with this one"
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
A good read here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/%2A%2Aofficial-rlx-thread%2A%2A-update-p-14-prod-car-debut-la-11-28-a-852173/
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL

Skimming through some of that peoples reactions went from pitchforks and mobs in the first few pages to excited in the last few! hahaha
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by deathknight777
I am excited AND disappointed for Acura on this car. First time I ever have such a feeling for a car. The hybrid (correct me if I am wrong) will have 370hp and 4 motors? 2 in the front 2 in the back helping out the handling and grip with the standard 310 hp motor for the regular model. The car is going have a 5 series price range (55k-75k) but much bigger then both A6 or 5 Series in terms of legroom and seem to be just a tiny bit smaller then a 7 series. The look is subjective. I like the weird look imo and finally, a car that looks like a car in the Acura brand that fits the "luxury" status (other then the exotic NSX).

The inside/tech is what I am really worried about for the car. Not talking about the interior (which looks gorgeous) but the actually inside look on the dash and the tech. Correct me but it looks nearly identical from the 2013 Accord ! I think the four layer design of the dash is extremely unnecessary but perhaps it fits for an Accord. I think a car that is going to cost twice as much as an Accord should not share the same tech. ! The 8 inch screen on the Nav. is the same thing in my ILX!WTH! I don't know if I should be happy for my ILX or feel sad for the RLX. I hope I am wrong about this but so far from what I read this might be the case.
I don't think this range is accurate. Pricing has not yet been released as far as I know but most expect the non-SH-SH-AWD will be at or below the price of the outgoing RL. Personnally I think it will be less. In the low to mid $40K starting range. This is how they hope to sell more.

The Accord is a slightly newer model and has more current tech features. Repeated mostly in the new 2013 Civic. The RLX is catching up like the TLX will next year. But that is not why the car costs what it does. You are paying for the higher refinement of the car, materials, etc. The RLX also has rear wheel steering.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I don't think this range is accurate. Pricing has not yet been released as far as I know but most expect the non-SH-SH-AWD will be at or below the price of the outgoing RL. Personnally I think it will be less. In the low to mid $40K starting range. This is how they hope to sell more.

The Accord is a slightly newer model and has more current tech features. Repeated mostly in the new 2013 Civic. The RLX is catching up like the TLX will next year. But that is not why the car costs what it does. You are paying for the higher refinement of the car, materials, etc. The RLX also has rear wheel steering.
Well so far from what I am hearing it is saying it will start at the low 50k and then go all the way up to 70k which makes alot of sense considering this car was suppose to rival and be the crown jewel of the Acura brand. ILX going around 30k TLX going around 40k and the RLX being 50k makes alot of sense as well. I highly doubt having 4 motors comes at a cheap price so the hybrid version fully equipped being 70k is very possible.

Speaking of the new Civic 2013... WTF ! What is Honda trying to do? Make every early adopter of ILX feel stupid? The new Civic is now just as posh on the inside and still cost 5k less. I heard the new Civic is now quieter (biggest complain I have on the ILX as you can tell since I post it all over this forum) and I already know it has a bit more leg room as well (again, why is Honda doing this?) ! Its like Toyota saying nah screw Lexus lets charge people more but we going to put more shit in our Corolla then the IS.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Speaking of the new Civic 2013... WTF ! What is Honda trying to do? Make every early adopter of ILX feel stupid? The new Civic is now just as posh on the inside and still cost 5k less. I heard the new Civic is now quieter (biggest complain I have on the ILX as you can tell since I post it all over this forum) and I already know it has a bit more leg room as well (again, why is Honda doing this?) ! Its like Toyota saying nah screw Lexus lets charge people more but we going to put more shit in our Corolla then the IS.
Acura and Honda seem to be at odds with each other. That said, there are still some advantages of having the ILX over the ex-l civic. The premium ilx has keyless entry, push button start, dual stage heated seats, HIDs, specialized shocks, a more powerful stereo, better looks, and a better designed interior over the civic. The si, on the other hand, aside from the brand, makes a compelling case to switchover.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Acura and Honda seem to be at odds with each other. That said, there are still some advantages of having the ILX over the ex-l civic. The premium ilx has keyless entry, push button start, dual stage heated seats, HIDs, specialized shocks, a more powerful stereo, better looks, and a better designed interior over the civic. The si, on the other hand, aside from the brand, makes a compelling case to switchover.

This Civic talk is offtopic.. But, let's not pretend the "refresh" made the Civic a luxury car. And, thank you for pointing out some key advantages. The Si is still exactly what it is, cloth seats and all.. and as far as sound @deathknight.. how do you know the ILX isn't quieter still? You realize your ILX is quieter than a 2012 right?

Back to the RLX... it is looking promising for Acura. I have never seen so many people comparing such silly things from a luxury brand to an economy brand.. Really? You are even considering a RLX and the Accord is still on your mind? You're joking right?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentimus
This Civic talk is offtopic.. But, let's not pretend the "refresh" made the Civic a luxury car. And, thank you for pointing out some key advantages. The Si is still exactly what it is, cloth seats and all.. and as far as sound @deathknight.. how do you know the ILX isn't quieter still? You realize your ILX is quieter than a 2012 right?

Back to the RLX... it is looking promising for Acura. I have never seen so many people comparing such silly things from a luxury brand to an economy brand.. Really? You are even considering a RLX and the Accord is still on your mind? You're joking right?
You are right on your points above. Also he might want to actually read some reviews on the new Civic and the comments made by people who respond to those reviews. The Civic is not being compared to the ILX it is being compared against the 2012 Civic and its competion. In my opinion the Civic is not in the ILX class. If you want to pay less you look at the Civic and its direct competion, yes you can always compare apples to oranges instead of apples to apples but the taste and feel will never be the same.

Also for someone who orinally wasn't interested in Acura what does he really know about the RLX and the past RL.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am not sure that they are at odds with each other. I think it is just trying to match the competition which seems to change almost daily. The tech in this world keeps evolving so frequently it must be hard to stay on top of where it is going for all manufacturers while trying to be competitive and still make money.

This isn't restricted to just the automotive industry either.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by terdonal
I am not sure that they are at odds with each other. I think it is just trying to match the competition which seems to change almost daily. The tech in this world keeps evolving so frequently it must be hard to stay on top of where it is going for all manufacturers while trying to be competitive and still make money.

This isn't restricted to just the automotive industry either.

Exactly.. Honda is trying to make everyone happy but we live in a whiney world.. We just wanna complain about everything.. EVEN THOUGH WE BOUGHT THEIR PRODUCT WITH THE ABILITY TO TEST-DRIVE, READ REVIEWS, AND CAREFULLY EXAMINE IT.

It's like the Si guys complaing about the K20 having no torque and the powerband not coming until the last minute.. the K24 comes out and then they complain about not having the 8k redline, without comment to Honda completely fixing the torque and powerband issue... there is NO appeasing people.

Every product in this world has a trade to it's competition.. I am hard pressed to believe you should of bought an ILX if you're so concerned with what the Civic is and I find it hard to believe you need bother with an RLX if you are going to compare it to an Accord.. it's clearly outside of what you're looking to pay. And, you're really surprised that they want to use technology they are implimenting into BOTH brands.. ERMAGERD WHY WERD HONDA DUR SUCH A THURRRRNG.

Sorry for the rant and I am not directing aiming to offend or target anyone specifically.. it's a general remark. I suggest we all jump ship on Acura and just buy Hondas and all save thousands of dollars! As Audi buyers should get VW, as Lexus buyers should get Toyotas, and Infiniti should get Nissan...

Again, I bet the RLX is gonna be awesome.. I would love to see the production model (not concept) in person.
spdandpwr (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Exactly.. Honda is trying to make everyone happy but we live in a whiney world.. We just wanna complain about everything.. EVEN THOUGH WE BOUGHT THEIR PRODUCT WITH THE ABILITY TO TEST-DRIVE, READ REVIEWS, AND CAREFULLY EXAMINE IT.

It's like the Si guys complaing about the K20 having no torque and the powerband not coming until the last minute.. the K24 comes out and then they complain about not having the 8k redline, without comment to Honda completely fixing the torque and powerband issue... there is NO appeasing people.

Every product in this world has a trade to it's competition.. I am hard pressed to believe you should of bought an ILX if you're so concerned with what the Civic is and I find it hard to believe you need bother with an RLX if you are going to compare it to an Accord.. it's clearly outside of what you're looking to pay. And, you're really surprised that they want to use technology they are implimenting into BOTH brands.. ERMAGERD WHY WERD HONDA DUR SUCH A THURRRRNG.

Sorry for the rant and I am not directing aiming to offend or target anyone specifically.. it's a general remark. I suggest we all jump ship on Acura and just buy Hondas and all save thousands of dollars! As Audi buyers should get VW, as Lexus buyers should get Toyotas, and Infiniti should get Nissan...

Again, I bet the RLX is gonna be awesome.. I would love to see the production model (not concept) in person.
I agree with everything you say, and, as someone who witnessed the k20/k24 ranting, I can confirm that there is not appeasing people.

That notwithstanding, and moving back to the RLX conversation, I think Acura is doing a great job with this car, from what I've been reading. I also think they're doing a great job in their pr efforts, trying to promote the model and insert life into the brand. I think this car will help put Acura back in the mind of luxury car buyers.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with everything you say, and, as someone who witnessed the k20/k24 ranting, I can confirm that there is not appeasing people.

That notwithstanding, and moving back to the RLX conversation, I think Acura is doing a great job with this car, from what I've been reading. I also think they're doing a great job in their pr efforts, trying to promote the model and insert life into the brand. I think this car will help put Acura back in the mind of luxury car buyers.

I am glad we can get back onto the subject at hand.

Instead of comparing Acura to Honda let's do the REAL comparison..

Instead of saying "I spent 5k more than I would for a civic" let's say I saved more than 10 grand over a BMW. Which is EXACTLY the case Acura is making with the RLX and they're not being shy about it. It's going to have the ability of the 5 series with 7 series space and will probably save Acura buyers thousands over the 5 and 7 series comparably equiped. Which is EXACTLY what Acura customers want.. we WANT to be in the LUXURY (not economy) class and still save our pennies, while getting tech, while getting fuel mileage, while getting reliability and a low maintenance bill. Sounds like the RLX is perfect in it's segment. This is why I think it will be successful, not to mention.. it looks GREAT in my opinion. Acura corrected all their miscues with the signature styling they wanted, in my eyes.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Consistently Acura provides luxury and a more fully loaded package than the competition with pricing that falls between the competition and a standard (non-luxury) automobile. I don't see myself buying another brand in the future, unless the Acura formula changes. The RLX fits the bill, and looks like a great car. However, as a personal preference, I've never been into large sedans.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ddantzler
Consistently Acura provides luxury and a more fully loaded package than the competition with pricing that falls between the competition and a standard (non-luxury) automobile. I don't see myself buying another brand in the future, unless the Acura formula changes. The RLX fits the bill, and looks like a great car. However, as a personal preference, I've never been into large sedans.
+1

Though I haven't been into ANY large vehicles, haha.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Drifting

If I didn't prefer having a compact car, I'd get an RLX or at least consider checking it out. I hope in the future, they take the luxury of the rlx and package it in an ilx package. So when I can afford a 50k car, it'll be the size I want/need.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
The RLX is not a terrible car. However, the competition also seems to have some worthy alternatives.

Truly, it comes down to preferences. Personally, while I think the RLX is okay, if I were in the market for a sedan in that category, I'd probably march over to BMW or Audi.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think the main thing to keep in mind with the RLX is we have no idea how much Acura is charging for what. Price is the point right? If it isn't a substantial savings over the competition, no one is buying Acura.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Same here. Big "saloons" aren't my cup of tea... I'm sure it will be a great car just like the RL, but the real challenge will be to break into that hugely competitive luxury sedan market. I guess if Audi can do it, there is hope! Also, not really feeling the Jewel Eyes, but hey it may take off like the Audi DRLs!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

I think the main thing to keep in mind with the RLX is we have no idea how much Acura is charging for what. Price is the point right? If it isn't a substantial savings over the competition, no one is buying Acura.
I would venture that using the prior gen RL MSRP as a ballpark would be sufficient.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
The RLX is not a terrible car. However, the competition also seems to have some worthy alternatives.

Truly, it comes down to preferences. Personally, while I think the RLX is okay, if I were in the market for a sedan in that category, I'd probably march over to BMW or Audi.
I get what you are saying but I think a hands on look, drive and feel needs to be done before I could make that decision.

The threads I have been following on the on this site about the RL to RLX are a lot of personal opinions and conjecture on a vehicle that they have yet to be exposed to other than pictures,specifications and the LA auto show.

There is also a lot hyperbole by people who in my opinion dislike Acura for one reason or another. That is there right but not reason for me to make a decision until I can experience it myself.
Trentimus (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I would venture that using the prior gen RL MSRP as a ballpark would be sufficient.
Using as a ballpark but wasn't the older gen TSX cheaper than the CU2? Prices can always be different.

Only one way to find out... right? Everyone set your timers!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I'm not hating on the car. Like I said, I think from what I've seen and read so far, it's not bad.

Still, does it blow my socks off like a 5-series? Well, so far, no. But...time will tell and ultimately, a test drive.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Overall, I'm optimistic that this car will do well. My biggest concern is the number of trim packages they're offering. It is difficult enough to inventory the five different trim packages for the MDX and this car will have more than that once the Sport Hybrid version is added. Couple that with the fact that it is not going to sell at MDX volumes, I am wondering how we are supposed to provide cars for our customers? Perhaps customers buying cars of this type will be more agreeable to waiting for it to ordered?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced

No, I don't think comparing to Accord to a RLX would be fair at all. But unless I am high... The center console looks nearly identical (obviously not talking about the rest of the interior)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Overall, I'm optimistic that this car will do well. My biggest concern is the number of trim packages they're offering. It is difficult enough to inventory the five different trim packages for the MDX and this car will have more than that once the Sport Hybrid version is added. Couple that with the fact that it is not going to sell at MDX volumes, I am wondering how we are supposed to provide cars for our customers? Perhaps customers buying cars of this type will be more agreeable to waiting for it to ordered?
I never have any problems waiting for a car. I rather wait for what I want than take what is available.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
I was at the LA show when they pulled the sheet off the production version. Technology is very impressive and it has a nice "presence" about it, but nobody in the crowd was really wowed. These are a few shots I grabbed.

I'm anxious to get behind the wheels and try one out.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4cruizn:
Trentimus (12-10-2012), TSX69 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I was at the LA show when they pulled the sheet off the production version. Technology is very impressive and it has a nice "presence" about it, but nobody in the crowd was really wowed. These are a few shots I grabbed.

I'm anxious to get behind the wheels and try one out.

I can't see how anyone could hate on that look.. it definitely fits the bill looks wise... so sleek looking!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Advanced

I am glad we can get back onto the subject at hand.

Instead of comparing Acura to Honda let's do the REAL comparison..

Instead of saying "I spent 5k more than I would for a civic" let's say I saved more than 10 grand over a BMW. Which is EXACTLY the case Acura is making with the RLX and they're not being shy about it. It's going to have the ability of the 5 series with 7 series space and will probably save Acura buyers thousands over the 5 and 7 series comparably equiped. Which is EXACTLY what Acura customers want.. we WANT to be in the LUXURY (not economy) class and still save our pennies, while getting tech, while getting fuel mileage, while getting reliability and a low maintenance bill. Sounds like the RLX is perfect in it's segment. This is why I think it will be successful, not to mention.. it looks GREAT in my opinion. Acura corrected all their miscues with the signature styling they wanted, in my eyes.
While I agree with pretty much what everyone is saying I have to politely disagree with the Statement: regarding "the 5k more than Civic" and the "10k more with BMW". I really think its weird that people want "value" when purchasing a luxury vehicle.

First, I am going to assume you are taking about the ILX at this point because I don't think anything else can be compared and have the exact same price difference you were talking about. Granted, I fell EXACTLY into the same trap or else I wouldn't have bought my ILX.

Here is what happen to me and see if I can prove my point here: I walked into an Acura Dealership with the thought of "what the heck" why not try all the luxury brands? I saw the ILX and I was pretty much awe struck. The moonroof, push button, back-up camera and the back space is ACTUALLY useable? What? You are telling me with Nav package included it would STILL cost 4 grand less then a manual, no moonroof, no bi-xenon, no nav 3 series? I was pretty determined that the ILX had the best value (32k ilx with everything vs 36k 3 series here in Canada). Now, if I add everything with the bimmer it will be at least 10k to 11k more ! The ILX is a no brainer !

But, the more you drive it the more you realize if that was the case then everyone would driving an Acura and not a BMW. The drive of the BMW and the quality of the interior and exterior justifies and really lets you know why that car cost 10k more. The better engine, the ride, electric seat on both side, the trunk space/the quietness as well as the technology. Now, I am not arguing which one is the better vehicle because they DO have a 10k difference beside each other but you can tell where the money went. You can say reliability but again, if you want a car to drive more than 10 years/160k miles as a guarantee cause you want "value" then I really don't think luxury segment is what Acura is aiming for.

The case with Civic is different. I never tried it but looking at the review for the 2012, I can tell my car is the better one right off the bat and the 5k extra is justified. However, the 2013 Civic make the gap much closer. They got rid of some of the noise of the ride (granted, I don't know how much quieter or if it is now the same compared to my ILX), the updated look of the interior is better(they even have a touch screen?). This is why some people are using the ILX its based on comparing it to your average Joe Civic. The extra 5k is starting to look less appealing. Premium fuel just to get the extra 10 horses is just plain weird.

The same concept can be used for the RDX vs Q5/CRV/Santa FE. RDX is honestly the best value wise you can get in Canada. AWD with moonroof and a decent V6 engine for 40k? The Q5 would cost easily 10k more here as well. But the ride, LED and design again can tell you where the 10k went. No lumbar support for the passenger and the UGLY missing hole in the back can let you know where the cost cutting went to in the RDX.

I know you are sick of people comparing ILX to Civic, Ford Focus and probably the Acura brand in general to brands like Hyundai/Ford/VW. Believe me, as a person who just dropped 34k I don't want that either (thankfully, in Vancouver, not many people do).

The problem with Acura (again, just my completely bias opinion here) here its that its stuck in between. I don't mind paying another 4k-5k if the car is quieter, better engine, and electric seat on both side and it would still be better priced than all the other competitor. The problem here is that Acura is not EVEN on the doubl-B's radar is because its not "luxurious" enough. If it is, people wouldn't be comparing this to a Ford, Honda, or a VW. When compared to lower end car brand, Acura's option and equipment is hard to justify its price where Lexus and Infiniti is slowing climbing out that image (as well as charging more). I think the "value" approach worked well in the past but with competition so fierce and technology catching up so quickly (with lower end cars such as Ford Focus having assisted parking as well as Sentra having push button) Acura is going to have a tough road ahead if they dont want to be squeezed out.

Another clear example is the TSX and TL. Alot of people here said they bought it for its value. Which I agree to some extent. Especially today when I saw a TL selling for 27k (before pdi and tax) and I think its either brand new or barely used I think it is great value for its money. Not that many people wanted to pay full value for TSX and TL ! Again, no one has to agree with me but the fact remains: if TSX and TL is selling so well why not continue it? Why change the strategy? I think TSX is perfect for a new engine and tech layout. Keep changing the whole name and trim can only mean one thing: its not selling as well as they hoped. The massive discount is an indicator. Even if it is being "phased out", have you seen such a massive discount on TL, MDX, and TSX in a "luxury" car segment? You don't see a huge discount on the E90 or a C-class when they are going out do you?

So to end my "speech". I think luxury and value should not be in the same sentence. Acura has to pick a side or be slowly eaten out of the competition. Lexus has managed that. Despite not getting the bang for your buck (in fact, they are quite overpriced for some of there things) they have managed to established the image they can rival the Germans and seperate itself completely from Toyota and Hyundai.

Last edited by deathknight777; 12-13-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Advanced

Just to add on to above post: I really really wish NSX, RLX, and the TLX to do well. Acura needs to head to the new direction and embrace "luxury" completely.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post on this forum, look forward to many more. I'm a huge Acura guy --- 2011 MDX Tech/Ent AND 2012 TSX Tech. Everybody in both my wife and my extended family are also Acura or Honda drivers....so I have a little credibility to bitch a little about something bothering me here.

I was at the LA Auto Show and inspected the RLX in person. Overall, loved it. BUT, am I the only one annoyed at the reflectors on the back where some big, mean looking exhaust pipes are supposed to be sticking out? For as long as I can remember, every Acura has come out of the box with aggressive looking (and sounding) exhaust sticking out the back. It has been like a trademark to me --- and I love that look on both my cars.

But now we have the ILX, the new RDX, and the RLX that have gone away from it. Is this some sort of effort to make the cars look "luxurious"? Because clearly the company has not forgotten how to make exhaust pipes --- look at the back of the new 2013 Accord. I just hope theydon't screw up the back of the 2014 MDX or TLX.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
While I agree with pretty much what everyone is saying I have to politely disagree with the Statement: regarding "the 5k more than Civic" and the "10k more with BMW". I really think its weird that people want "value" when purchasing a luxury vehicle.

So to end my "speech". I think luxury and value should not be in the same sentence. Acura has to pick a side or be slowly eaten out of the competition. Lexus has managed that. Despite not getting the bang for your buck (in fact, they are quite overpriced for some of there things) they have managed to established the image they can rival the Germans and seperate itself completely from Toyota and Hyundai.
To me it's not weird to want "value" when purchasing a luxury vehicle" ,cause money does not grow on trees . I respectfully disagree with you.
Trentimus (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
To me it's not weird to want "value" when purchasing a luxury vehicle" ,cause money does not grow on trees . I respectfully disagree with you.
He disagrees with himself as well.. because if he wasn't looking for value and since BMWs are so much better he would of just bought a BMW and never had this issue.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of Acura and value..

Compare:
Initial cost of Acura VS BMW
Feaure cost of Acura VS BMW
Fuel cost of Acura VS BMW
Look/Feel cost of Acura VS BMW
The kicker Maintenance cost Acura VS BMW

All you would of been comparing from the start is "do I see the value in paying all the extra for the BMW?" you answered NO.. now you're regretting saving thousands, which over the course of many years will increase.. I find that, personally, odd. I think Acura is perfect where it is.. Hence BMW, Audi, and other top tier brands creating a more "affordable" version of their cars.... Who else are they competing with that is between pure luxury and value??
4cruizn (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Wow, nice pictures. I really like the way the car is coming together! I'm happy with Acura's direction. And Acura's value prop is a value-oriented one.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Premium fuel just to get the extra 10 horses is just plain weird.
Sorry, I just caught this too.. What is weird about that? Netting 10 horsepower off of a high octane fuel is actually really good.
402 @ 6500 rpm (5.0L V8 refular fuel)
420 @ 6500 rpm (5.0L V8 premium fuel)

^ Difference for the new 2013 5.0 Mustang.. So, is it weird they only gained 18 horsepower? Where the lowly 2.0 gained 10 horsepower? Do you know about tuning and the difference the octanes make in this case? Basically allowing them to retain(or gain) the same MPG with higher power output and better engine longevity

Acura performed a great feat there.. They gained 7% through a octane tune alone. Whereas Ford gained 4.4%...

In the famous words of Vin Diesel, "ASK ANY RACER, ANY REAL RACER" they'd pay for premium fuel to net a 7% power gain, increase reliability and retain fuel mileage.

And, to your point, what luxury brands don't request premium fuel?

Just my

(Sorry mods for my double, triple reponse.. I can edit them all into one if need be)

**Edit.. Just hit me this is the post about the RLX..**
OFF TOPIC!

Last edited by Trentimus; 12-13-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Sorry, I just caught this too.. What is weird about that? Netting 10 horsepower off of a high octane fuel is actually really good.
402 @ 6500 rpm (5.0L V8 refular fuel)
420 @ 6500 rpm (5.0L V8 premium fuel)

^ Difference for the new 2013 5.0 Mustang.. So, is it weird they only gained 18 horsepower? Where the lowly 2.0 gained 10 horsepower? Do you know about tuning and the difference the octanes make in this case? Basically allowing them to retain(or gain) the same MPG with higher power output and better engine longevity

Acura performed a great feat there.. They gained 7% through a octane tune alone. Whereas Ford gained 4.4%...

In the famous words of Vin Diesel, "ASK ANY RACER, ANY REAL RACER" they'd pay for premium fuel to net a 7% power gain, increase reliability and retain fuel mileage.

Just my

(Sorry mods for my double, triple reponse.. I can edit them all into one if need be)

**Edit.. Just hit me this is the post about the RLX..**
OFF TOPIC!
The civic uses an r18 and the ilx uses an r20...premium fuel isn't netting the hp gain, the displacement is
Acura_Dude (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2010 Lexus HS didn't require or even recommend premium fuel.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

The civic uses an r18 and the ilx uses an r20...premium fuel isn't netting the hp gain, the displacement is

Good catch, I didn't know the civic was on a completely different motor. The premium fuel still has to do with the way the motor was designed. Which in this case knowing that.

24c/35h is it's rating at 150hp/140tq
28c/39h is the Civic at 140hp/128tq

I stand corrected.. WELL.. awkward. I guess all you can chalk that up to is the way they designed the motor.

I was wrong, I apologize!

Quick Reply: What do you think of the RLX?