What to change on the ILX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I took mine back down to the dealer to have someone actually look at it. While they were looking I walked back to the detail bay to see what they were doing with my old car. Judging by the amount of compound the 17 year old kid put on the buffer and the fact they don't tape the windows or the moonroof, i am willing to bet rxj27 is right.

Otherwise the buffer burned the top coat of the vinyl off the weatherstripping.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Racer

Here is a blackberry picture showing the discoloration.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I still don't know why my sunroof weather stripping is fading. That's a big no-no with barely 2 months on the car and 1800 miles.
If you're going to put anything on it, I think the recommended product is Shin-etsu grease from Honda/Acura parts.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Switt23
Here is a blackberry picture showing the discoloration.
That's what i have
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Racer

It is important whatever product you put on is still breathable. If you put something on it that is high in silicones it will dry out the weatherstripping faster.

Armor-all was a prime example of this. It puts a nice glossy shine on the application, but in the end it pulls mouisture out and drys the area.

I have TurboWax L-V-R (Leather - Vinyl - Rubber) protectant that is pH balanced I will try first. If that doesn't help I will try Chemicalguys Gel Trim Restorer.

The dealer already said they will not replace it unless the moonroof leaks.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Try the Shin-etsu grease. It's what they recommended for S2000 rubber seals.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I have accidentally hit the seat heater button several occasions while reaching into the lower USB compartment. Only realizing after literally sweating for a few minutes!

They should really move them laterally next to each seat.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
I have accidentally hit the seat heater button several occasions while reaching into the lower USB compartment. Only realizing after literally sweating for a few minutes!

They should really move them laterally next to each seat.
I haven't done that yet, but when shifting into third I occasionally hit the AC button. Maybe an inch more space there? 1/2 inch? Would go a long way.

That's my biggest (and really, only) complaint about the car so far, which means, great car.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
The most important thing for them to change before I would even consider an ILX is the acceleration. The ILX hybrid is wretched. They'll need to lobby Congress for longer freeway entrance ramps.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boe_d
The most important thing for them to change before I would even consider an ILX is the acceleration. The ILX hybrid is wretched. They'll need to lobby Congress for longer freeway entrance ramps.
I'm hoping this wasn't a trolling attempt. Either way, I'll bite. Have you driven the car? While its not fast by any stretch of the imagination, I have had no problems at all highway driving (passing, merging) since owning it. Others can chime in.

The HP numbers a little misleading, so if you use it as your sole metric it would appear underwhelming. But understanding the difference between gas engine HP and electric engine HP will make the small number more understandable.

A gas engine must build RPMs through acceleration until it reaches its maximum power and torque. This means transmissions with several gears that optimize power output at different engine speeds. However, switching on an electric motor is similar to turning on a light bulb; it doesn't need time to build up power. SO upon acceleration need (freeway merges) the IMA battery kicks in and you get instant speed. Thus the difference between the hybrid and 5AT is negligible in normal driving conditions...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm hoping this wasn't a trolling attempt. Either way, I'll bite. Have you driven the car? ..
No trolling intended. I haven't bothered to drive the car as someone has already taken the trouble of gathering the info on the ILX I need to know if I'd consider test driving it.

Acceleration on the ILX hybrid 0-60 11.2 sec
Acceleration on the Prius hybrid 0-60 10.2 - 10.7 sec (depending on model)
Acceleration on the ES300h hybrid 0-60 8.1 sec

I really don't care about horsepower - I'm not towing a house or a boat. I just need to get on the highway quickly as we have a lot of very short on ramps where I live and work. If I had to buy today I'd probably get the ES300h if I can hold out a few more years, I'll probably get the NS4. My "normal" driving conditions are driving slow on surface (where the cops like to make money) and then taking off like a rocket to get on the highway quickly and slipping into the far left lane as most people drive way too slow for me.

Last edited by boe_d; 10-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Havazn
I'd love to have the LED DRLs and rear reflector/exhaust ports that were shown on the original concept car.

I like the LEDs as well. They look like they put a lot of thought into them. The production ones look a little like they were an afterthought. The grill on the concept car is pretty hideous though.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Racer

Thanks for not trolling! I think a few things to consider.

1. Car reviews used to include more useful 30 to 50 mph, or 50 to 70 mph acceleration numbers. Not sure why 0-60 is the end-all-be-all now...That said I am very curious on how the ILX hybrid would fair in those tests.

2. The tires are also a key factor in these 0-60 tests. While ignorant of the logistics of which tires Acura used for the test, the ILX hybrid is equipped standard with low-resistance tires. Probably greatly decreased traction especially in a 0-60 drag race. The other hybrids will also have them equipped? So maybe judging hybrids vs non hybrid comparable 0-60 times is unfair.

3. I'm not sure "taking off like a rocket" would characterize any version of the ILX or the aim of Acura in general. I'm thinking of something more refined than a rocket...

Either way the ES300h seems like a hell of a car. But it's in a different category all together in terms of size and price compared to the ILX.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for not trolling! I think a few things to consider.

1. Car reviews used to include more useful 30 to 50 mph, or 50 to 70 mph acceleration numbers. Not sure why 0-60 is the end-all-be-all now...That said I am very curious on how the ILX hybrid would fair in those tests.

2. The tires are also a key factor in these 0-60 tests. While ignorant of the logistics of which tires Acura used for the test, the ILX hybrid is equipped standard with low-resistance tires. Probably greatly decreased traction especially in a 0-60 drag race. The other hybrids will also have them equipped? So maybe judging hybrids vs non hybrid comparable 0-60 times is unfair.

3. I'm not sure "taking off like a rocket" would characterize any version of the ILX or the aim of Acura in general. I'm thinking of something more refined than a rocket...

Either way the ES300h seems like a hell of a car. But it's in a different category all together in terms of size and price compared to the ILX.
I pretty much need to go 0-75 - that would be more helpful for me judging from my average on ramp activities.

As for the tires, I only change them after they wear out so I'd be using stock tires. I doubt too many motor journalists are changing their stock vehicle tires for the test - I could be mistaken of course. There's a first time for everything.

Would bat out of hell suffice? Or a F-22 Raptor taking off from an aircraft carrier?

I agree the 300h is in a different price range. An ILX equiped the way I want would list for about $35k and the ES300h would list for about $46k. Even at 46k the lexus doesn't have cooled cupholders for my long drives to Vegas. I also hate the wood steering wheel on the Lexus - always room for improvement on any car IMHO.

With my lead foot, I'll never achieve the suggest MPG but it has to be better than what I'm getting on my 2001 TL.

Last edited by boe_d; 10-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Drifting

You should look at getting the new accord v6. It's relatively quick, fuel efficient, and comes full of features. A very compelling offer if the allure of a premium brand isn't a consideration point for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
The 2.4l 6 speed needs nav, better looking premium 17in wheels, limited slip differential like the si, fix the road noise, an upgraded suspension to shorten the wheel gap and have a lil more firm ride, autodarkening side mirrors with turn signals on them as well(the sun is always beaming in my face and so are other peoples ridiculously bright hids). The point of having the premium sports edition is because it looks more sporty and performs and handles like its more sporty then the other models. For example the 2000 civic ex vs 2000 civic si or the 2013 toyota tacoma prerunner vs 2013 toyota tacoma x-runner.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Drifting

^it'll be pricier with those options. In terms of what you list out: the wheels are no big deal, lsd I'll take, road noise isn't a huge problem for me (it keeps the weight down and it really isn't that bad), suspension can be borrowed from the si so thats easy and should be done, and autodarkening mirrors sounds pricey and I haven't seen any acuras to have them (tinting the windows may help).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Racer

Well still, for the price i paid for the car and the options the si had that should have been included in the ilx since the ilx is pretty much a dressed up si with more luxury. I really think they should have taken the suspension from the si, added the lsd, and a stronger transmission. My transmission barely has 1500 miles on it since i had to get it replaced @143miles and it still feels notchy like the sycros dont go in smooth. The autodarkening mirrors should be done if acura is really trying to compete with bmw, they come standard with there lowest model 328i. and the road noise, as for this being a luxury sport sedan, i have to keep my music volume at 15 just to tone it out then after i get tired of my music being so loud i turn it down then get annoyed of the road noise. Im about to dynomat this car all around.
P.s. i would get rid of that bs fancy chrome trim in the center console if i could because the sun just hits that then goes directly to my eyes +___+
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Drifting

why was your tranny replaced?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Racer

Took a major sh!t on me. Drove it off the lot to my apartment(32miles). Then to walmart(12miles), then i noticed it was popping out of 5th gear. Then drove it to drop off my dad at his truck(he drives diesel trucks) about 25 miles with no 5th gear and every gear id have to force it in. When i got home, i called acura and they told me to bring it in the next morning. Drove it in on the highway bout 5 miles away from the dealer, the car sputtered and acted as if i was slamming on the brakes while my feet were on the gas and clutch and i was just about to shift from 3rd to 4th. Car turned off and i almost got in an accident. I drove it off the freeway in neutral, not letting it roll or anything; foot on the gas and clutch driving in neutral and acura claimed it to be a small problem but they had to ship in a new trans from japan for me.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Wow, glad you didn't get hurt or in an accident. To quell your concerns, the transmission is actually a pick-me-up from the Si, which, in turn, is a pick-me-up from the 2nd gen Acura TSX. The only difference between the vehicles is the addition of an LSD on the Si model. The transmission has definitely paid it's dues and this fault/issue is certainly an isolated one. Pretty cool how you got overnight parts from Japan (not sure if you're too old to understand that reference).
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

You should look at getting the new accord v6. It's relatively quick, fuel efficient, and comes full of features. A very compelling offer if the allure of a premium brand isn't a consideration point for you.
Thanks, the accord V6 and the Acura TL are pretty similar for performance and fuel efficiency. I hate going to the gas station so the ES350h will probably help me reduce that a bit more.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Racer

Wow, glad you didn't get hurt or in an accident. To quell your concerns, the transmission is actually a pick-me-up from the Si, which, in turn, is a pick-me-up from the 2nd gen Acura TSX. The only difference between the vehicles is the addition of an LSD on the Si model. The transmission has definitely paid it's dues and this fault/issue is certainly an isolated one. Pretty cool how you got overnight parts from Japan (not sure if you're too old to understand that reference).
Thanks, i understand. And no it wasnt overnight... It sat at the acura dealer for almost 2 weeks and acura did nothing to compensate for it all. Not even a price drop or free part, put all the money in my savings to put a downpayment and had to bring the car back on a towtruck the next day. Even though i had a brand new transmission with 0 miles on it, it still feels notchy. Im most likely going to go find an si transmission and pull the lsd out to slap it on mine. Also considering throwing an act lighten flywheel and clutch. But this wont be for a while, just a thought.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Is the LSD just a part swap, no software involved?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Drifting

^it's all mechanical. No need to worry about software or anything of that sort.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Racer

What about the marketing for this car...

The TV commercials were OK, but this...kind of tacky. Not sure sponsoring a small indie band like Metric helped much in its promotion either.

Eh...what do I know? I'm not in marketing.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Drifting

You don't have to be in Marketing to know it's bad. Let not forget that everyone who usually judges the work, isn't in Marketing either. The copy is off brand and doesn't support the ILX Brand.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Who's Metric and what does it have to do with the ILX?

If anyone has to ask those questions then it certainly is bad marketing.

Last edited by dominik331; 10-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by dominik331
Who's Metric and what does music bands have to do with the ILX?

I would suppose that would be true. I just assumed they were a group known by the younger demographic. I don't pay much attention to marketing but I do think they should be more visible in tv advertising and not keep repeating the same ads, show some variety and more detail on the cars.

They had a good tv ad on the SHAWD up here but they kept repeating it ad nauseum but now SHAWD per se seems to be leaving the fold.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 5,411 Likes on 3,702 Posts
Originally Posted by dominik331
Who's Metric and what does it have to do with the ILX?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Racer

Bumping this old thread...

Anyone else notice the "chrome" on the key fob starting to chip off? I compared my key fob with a mercedes one and found that the merc fob was actually wrapped in metal (and shiny too!) not just painted. Not a big deal, but it can't be that expensive to use the real deal...
Attached Thumbnails What to change on the ILX?-photo-4-.png  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Drifting

My key fob looks like arse! My tsx fob looked a lot better after 14k miles of use. They should've just stuck with the old design.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
My key fob looks like arse! My tsx fob looked a lot better after 14k miles of use. They should've just stuck with the old design.
My fob and my wife's are fine, mind you I keep mine in my pocket by itself most of the time. They looK like new as did my ZDX fob after 2 years.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no idea if these would fit, but i'm tempted to order them and find out (the TL key fob looks remarkable similar to our ILX key fob. image here) I called my dealer and they don't stock them, unfortunately. But for $11 it might be worth ordering them for the hell of it.

For what its worth i keep the key fob unattached from my keychain with house/mail keys, and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Drifting

I have keys attached to my fob and now it looks like rx27s
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Having seen a few of these keys get scratched, I have been extra cautious with mine. I have it isolated from my other keys and am looking for a "soft" key fob to attach to it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
The Acura symbol on the back of mine is half gone.. already
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
A couple random/small things that crossed my mind today.

I'm around 21,500 miles.
  • I wish the sun visors had extenders.
  • My gas cap fell out of my hand today after I unscrewed it to refuel, and though it's connected to a lanyard and can't fall to the ground, it banged against the paint and made a microscopic chip. Seems like they could've made the cap with a softer material or fewer sharp edges.
  • I wish the door to the storage unit in the console would close somehow but still allow my USB cord to come out, since I almost always have to have my phone or some device plugged in. I'm rarely able to close the door. Beyond that, the plug itself also has some sharp edges, and I'm starting to see that it's wearing out my console as it rubs against it. Better illustrated with a picture.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Trentimus
The Acura symbol on the back of mine is half gone.. already
Maybe we need some kind of rubberized "key condom"? Or, maybe somebody into leather can make a little "booty" for it? Way back in my car audio days, we contracted with a vendor in China to make leather covers for the Alpine 8080 remote controls.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Maybe we need some kind of rubberized "key condom"? Or, maybe somebody into leather can make a little "booty" for it? Way back in my car audio days, we contracted with a vendor in China to make leather covers for the Alpine 8080 remote controls.
There are a lot of variations of these on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-Car-Re...item3a7c3e2b39

Quick Reply: What to change on the ILX?