Trunk Floor Lid Noise (Poor Trunk Floor Insulation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Trunk Floor Lid Noise (Poor Trunk Floor Insulation)

It is evident that there is a flaw in the design of trunk floor lid and the trunk floor insulation. The noise that the lid produces while going over bumps and uneven surfaces is substantial (flaps like superman's cape in the wind). They obviously misjudged this piece during the design phase, given how light vehicle is, especially in the rear. There is nothing to hold the lid down in place, which in result produces a good amount of noise from it smacking down on the frame and trunk floor.

If you have a trunk tray or anything else in your trunk which prevents the lid from jumping, you may not notice the noise as much. For someone like myself who keeps nothing in the trunk for the most part, you experience a great deal of noise from the impact of the lid hitting the trunk floor.

Yesterday, the service manager agreed as well when he went on a test drive with me. Mentioned that it probably was a cheaply designed piece. He said he would bring it up to Acura.

In the mean time, the tech put some Velcro to keep it from jumping but that hasn't helped much.

Anyone else experiencing this noise when driving on poor roads or going over bumps and uneven surfaces?

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 10-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by fioravantim
It is evident that there is a flaw in the design of trunk floor lid and the trunk floor insulation. The noise that the lid produces while going over bumps and uneven surfaces is substantial (flaps like superman's cape in the wind). They obviously misjudged this piece during the design phase, given how light vehicle is, especially in the rear. There is nothing to hold the lid down in place, which in result produces a good amount of noise from it smacking down on the frame and trunk floor.

If you have a trunk tray or anything else in your trunk which prevents the lid from jumping, you may not notice the noise as much. For someone like myself who keeps nothing in the trunk for the most part, you experience a great deal of noise from the impact of the lid hitting the trunk floor.

Yesterday, the service manager agreed as well when he went on a test drive with me. Mentioned that it probably was a cheaply designed piece. He said he would bring it up to Acura.

In the mean time, the tech put some Velcro to keep it from jumping but that hasn't helped much.

Anyone else experiencing this noise when driving on poor roads or going over bumps and uneven surfaces?

I haven't noticed this, but I have a trunk tray. FWIW, the TSX and TL seem to use the same the same material but they're covered with felt (like) material on the bottom as well as the top.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Racer

They really need to do something about this ASAP, especially if you live in the north east where the roads can be rough due to the weather and salting that's involved during the winter which brings along pot holes and such. Regardless, the noise it produces going over uneven surfaces is frustrating.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
yea, I hear this noise a lot. I'm assuming the trunk mat helps eliminate the noise. I think I might invest in one.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
yea, I hear this noise a lot. I'm assuming the trunk mat helps eliminate the noise. I think I might invest in one.
They should provide it at %50 off or even free since this is a warranty/Acura issue. Was quoted $89 yesterday.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Drifting

You seem to be getting good deals, I was quoted just under $100 shipped.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Deng, I haven't noticed this yet. I'll probably do a little test tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
This was from my review of my first test drive in a ILX Tech. I noticed this before I even drove it.

"The cover for the spare tire in the trunk of the ILX is pretty tacky imo but they all pale in comparison to how nicely the ZDX is finished. I would get the trunk mat to cover it anyway."

This was my response to you regarding suspension noise

"I do hear something from the back upon occasion. It does sound like spare tire cover but it doesn't happen that often so I don't think about it when I do have something in the trunk. Seems to do it if I go over a man hole cover that is not flush with the pavement but only at an angle at speed if memory serves me. Doesn't happen that often so I consider it a non issue at the moment."

As I said I got the the trunk mat to cover it and add some weight to it. I also carry a leather case that came with my Vigor I believe that I carry flares, some tools, air pump for emergency tire fill and a few other emergency items in it. So that probably adds a little weight and the trunk mat adds some stability and keeps the carpet clean when carrying things in the trunk.

As stated above still hear it under certain conditions but very infrequently enough that I haven't tried any other steps to eliminate it. Poor design, yes I agree, but I knew it would be an issue before I even drove one. Shouldn't have to fix it ourselves so good luck with the dealer hopefully they can resolve it, or you could try to remedy it yourself and relieve yourself from the aggravation it is causing you.

Regards

Terry
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Drifting

It's definitely not huge, bug an issue nonetheless. I plan on getting the rubber mats across the car as I always have issue with the winter ruining my mats.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Wow! Lucky for me the hybrid has no spare and St. Louis Acura was so glad to actually sell one of the ILX hybrids that they basically threw in the all weather mats and trunk liner...
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
JvB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure it's not the spare tire moving around back there? Mine was quite loose and the clunk seems to have gotten better after tightening the nut on the tire. I still hear it on big bumps though, even with the trunk liner.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JvB
Are you sure it's not the spare tire moving around back there? Mine was quite loose and the clunk seems to have gotten better after tightening the nut on the tire. I still hear it on big bumps though, even with the trunk liner.
Made sure the spare was tight. It's definitely the lid hitting the trunk liner. Acura should recall these uninsulated lids and have anyone replace them that already has the vehicle. All it takes is two or three clips to remove it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, first time poster.

I leased a base 2.0 last week and am experiencing this issue, though I am still not 100% sure the ”thunk” I hear is the lid. I took towels and padded the under side of the lid and the noise still occurs.

Have you solved your noise issue for certain? I hope mine is indeed the spare or lid; suspension problems on a new car would be a huge hassle.

I will post any conclusions regarding this issue when I get to the bottom of my instance.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
I hear this, my passenger head rest rattles (so annoying because it's consistent over rough roads), and my panels rattle.. one rattle up by my ear in the driver side window panel, one rattle up by the door handle.. and some others I haven't figured out where they're coming from just yet.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wanted to say that I picked up the trunk tray and I no longer hear the rattle from the spare tire cover in the trunk. Since noises bother me it was worth the money (although it shouldn't make noise to begin with)!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ofplon
Hi, first time poster.

I leased a base 2.0 last week and am experiencing this issue, though I am still not 100% sure the ”thunk” I hear is the lid. I took towels and padded the under side of the lid and the noise still occurs.

Have you solved your noise issue for certain? I hope mine is indeed the spare or lid; suspension problems on a new car would be a huge hassle.

I will post any conclusions regarding this issue when I get to the bottom of my instance.
At this point, your best bet is to go the dealer and have them open up a ticket for this problem, so that Acura is aware of the problem, not just the dealership. I did this on two different occasions so far. There is no fix for this at the moment but the higher ups are aware of the issue. I'm not sure how EVERYONE is not experiencing this noise. Especially people that don't carry much in the trunks. Just a poor design/insulation.
Eventually, they will either need to replace the trunk floor lid with an double-sided insulated one or just retrofit the trunk with better insulation.
I also advised Acura's customer relations department about this issue, along with the passenger engine mount noise I'm experiencing so they are aware.

Please let us know any of news you may receive regarding this. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that my noise is in fact the trunk lid cover and not a suspension issue. There was a guy in another thread who claimed that he had a broken shock replaced but he never posted again to say for certain if it was resolved.

Especially at lower speeds - 20mph, any manhole an inch or 2 deep results in a loud "thunk" like a shock bottoming out - I sure hope it's the trunk liner lid, but as I said, I placed a bunch of towels under the liner the make it silent and it's still happening.

Is the noise I describe the same as you're experiencing?

I know I have to do my own testing and each car is different, I just want to make sure I learn all I can here before taking it in, which is a huge hassle.

Thanks for your thoughts, -John
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Well, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that my noise is in fact the trunk lid cover and not a suspension issue. There was a guy in another thread who claimed that he had a broken shock replaced but he never posted again to say for certain if it was resolved.

Especially at lower speeds - 20mph, any manhole an inch or 2 deep results in a loud "thunk" like a shock bottoming out - I sure hope it's the trunk liner lid, but as I said, I placed a bunch of towels under the liner the make it silent and it's still happening.

I know I have to do my own testing and each car is different, I just want to make sure I learn all I can here before taking it in, which is a huge hassle.

Would it help to take everything out of the trunk, including the trunk liner lid, and then drive your normal route to evaluate the noise? I would imagine if it is the liner that is indeed making the noise, you would no longer hear anything.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pabarile
Would it help to take everything out of the trunk, including the trunk liner lid, and then drive your normal route to evaluate the noise? I would imagine if it is the liner that is indeed making the noise, you would no longer hear anything.
Absolutely - I am going to take it to the next level today and do just that - Might even remove the spare as well. fold the seats down, really give it a listen.

An OT question: Do you know if every Acura dealer will give a loaner, or only the dealer you bought your car from? The service dept. near my job is a lot nicer/easier place to be than the dealer I bought from.

thx, -J
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's pretty noticeable on speed bumps. The front goes over firm, the rear goes over with a loud THUD
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Trentimus
It's pretty noticeable on speed bumps. The front goes over firm, the rear goes over with a loud THUD
So Trentimius - is your issue the trunk liner lid or the suspension?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

It would be hard to say, the sound seems like it's coming from the top, but the way sound travels who knows.. The suspension doesn't feel bad in the back, the only way to explain that would be if there isn't enough shock travel or something along those lines.. hrm.. I dunno how to test it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Racer

Correct. EXACT same noise as you describe.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Racer

Just did this myself earlier. Removed the trunk lid. Drove around for a bit. It sounded much better until I hit a larger pot-hole and heard a loud THUD.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Cruisin'

I removed the trunk liner lid & spare tire. I then folded the rear seats down & went for a drive over some bumps.

Same story, loud thunking noise.

If it is NOT the suspension, there's a chance it is the rear under-shield that can be seen easily by looking under the rear of the car. it is large, hollow, plastic and isn't exactly super-tightly fastened. With this in mind, I stuck a glove and towel between the shield and the lip of the body where the two meet - but the noise remained.

I suppose there's a chance this is normal & simply the way the car's suspension sounds, but I find this hard to believe, particularly since I've never encountered this in any of the other 10 vehicles my wife & I have leased over the last decade, and also due to the extensive bragging Acura has done about the new 2-stage shocks and suspension. Perhaps stage two is not kicking in and the shocks are bottoming out.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem. I am leaning toward suspension flaw as the culprit at this point, but intend to look further into the possibility of it being the rear undershield.

-John
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Racer

I removed the trunk liner lid & spare tire. I then folded the rear seats down & went for a drive over some bumps.

Same story, loud thunking noise.

If it is NOT the suspension, there's a chance it is the rear under-shield that can be seen easily by looking under the rear of the car. it is large, hollow, plastic and isn't exactly super-tightly fastened. With this in mind, I stuck a glove and towel between the shield and the lip of the body where the two meet - but the noise remained.

I suppose there's a chance this is normal & simply the way the car's suspension sounds, but I find this hard to believe, particularly since I've never encountered this in any of the other 10 vehicles my wife & I have leased over the last decade, and also due to the extensive bragging Acura has done about the new 2-stage shocks and suspension. Perhaps stage two is not kicking in and the shocks are bottoming out.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem. I am leaning toward suspension flaw as the culprit at this point, but intend to look further into the possibility of it being the rear undershield.

-John

John, appreciate the investigation. I have been experiencing the same problem since day 1 and it is driving me nuts, considering the vehicle is new.

Please continue to update as you go along. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I had always thought I hit something making those quick turns into the parking lots. It didn't even cross my mind that there may be a flaw with the trunk/suspension/w/e it is. Hopefully Acura takes care of this...though I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I am selfishly hoping someone else experiencing this will take theirs in for a diagnosis, but if nobody does, I'll do it...eventually. I'll then share what I learn. But I am Leary of service departments in general.

What a bummer if it's a suspension thing.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Has anyone checked the torsion bars that hold up the trunk?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Racer

I can confirm for sure that it is NOT the trunk floor lid. I removed it. Driving around without it, loud THUMP still occurring going over pot-holes. I left the spare in along with the tools. Spare is secured tightly. WHAT IS IT!?

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 12-31-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL torsion bar, trunk latch, loose speaker, loose deck lid, loose folding seat latch, cable for trunk release.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Racer

Thinking its coming from beneath the car, possibly the plastic covering beneath the rear bumper.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
LOL torsion bar, trunk latch, loose speaker, loose deck lid, loose folding seat latch, cable for trunk release.
I'll check some of these things.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Advanced

I'll also add that I did hear the noise today even with the trunk tray. Guess i didn't hit a big enough bump the other day

With regard to the suspension bottoming out, wouldn't we feel that? I hit a large pothole before in my last car, and i felt the suspension bottom out. It felt/sounded terrible. It also created a large bulge in my tire as well. When I hear this noise in the ILX, it more just sounds like something is loose/rattling, and it doesn't require a gigantic pothole to reproduce.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Racer

To further propel my curiosity, I have removed the spare tire. Now driving without the trunk floor lid, tools and spare tire. The sound is still present going over a uneven surface with the rear tires. A loud thump. What in the world can it be? Unbelievable with all these noises coming from this car...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'll also add that I did hear the noise today even with the trunk tray. Guess i didn't hit a big enough bump the other day

With regard to the suspension bottoming out, wouldn't we feel that? I hit a large pothole before in my last car, and i felt the suspension bottom out. It felt/sounded terrible. It also created a large bulge in my tire as well. When I hear this noise in the ILX, it more just sounds like something is loose/rattling, and it doesn't require a gigantic pothole to reproduce.
Same.. I hit what looked to be like extra cement left on a road. It was just enough to feel in the front and THUD in the back... I can't wrap my head around it.

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
To further propel my curiosity, I have removed the spare tire. Now driving without the trunk floor lid, tools and spare tire. The sound is still present going over a uneven surface with the rear tires. A loud thump. What in the world can it be? Unbelievable with all these noises coming from this car...
I actually looked inside the trunk while the car was running and the entire trunk makes rattle sounds? Is this just because I have a 2.4L and the exhaust is right there or something? Obviously I can't hear these rattles so it's not a big deal but they literally buzz while you're back there.. but anyways the THUD is rather annoying.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trentimus
Same.. I hit what looked to be like extra cement left on a road. It was just enough to feel in the front and THUD in the back... I can't wrap my head around it.

I actually looked inside the trunk while the car was running and the entire trunk makes rattle sounds? Is this just because I have a 2.4L and the exhaust is right there or something? Obviously I can't hear these rattles so it's not a big deal but they literally buzz while you're back there.. but anyways the THUD is rather annoying.
I am going to take a spin to the dealer and go for a spin with one of the techs. I have the spare tire and lid removed so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. Will keep posted.

Like some mentioned, the new RDX's (same suspension) are supposedly experiacing the same noise in the rear which appears to be bad struts.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Racer

This is becoming more frustrating day by day.

Just got back from the dealership. Went on a test ride with the service & parts director. My luck, I was not able to duplicate the noise, AGAIN.

Here is my take:

I am becoming more and more convinced that this s a suspension related issue. Whether it's the newly designed struts for 2013 ILX & RDX or some other component belonging to the suspension that the noise is coming from.

I went into he dealer without anything in the trunk. No spare, lid or tools. Driving ALONE it is very easy to duplicate the LOUD thump coming from the rear, while going over sharp edged uneven surfaces. Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate that noise as easily with more weight in the car. Are you noticing the same?

With the spare, lid and tools in the car the thump is still there but not as loud or easily duplicated as it is without those three items in the trunk.

This has me believing this is a weight/suspension related issue, the new multi-stage struts/dampers that are in this car as being the culprit. I've mentioned this in the "suspension noise" thread. Some of us are experiencing this, some are not. Is it just a bad batch?

I have another thread I opened regarding the front passenger engine mount. Is it really the engine mount or is it ANOTHER bad strut in the front as well?

Left the Acura dealership hopeless. Director was willing to help but unfortunately couldn't duplicate the noise while he went along for a test drive. Again, added weight, wasn't able to duplicate the noise as easily as if I was alone.

In result, I can in fact rule out that the noise is NOT coming from the trunk/floor lid, as the title of this thread indicates.

Lastly, given that I am experiencing front passenger-end nocking along with the rear thumping while going over rough roads, has me believing this is a suspension issue and not something else as some others have suggested.

Please continue to document your experiences and findings. Not just on here but with the dealership as well so that we can get to the bottom of this rather sooner than later. Thank You.

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 01-02-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While I never had this problem, I am glad I am not as crazy as people think when I said this car is "Loud"
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The trunk noise is a major issue for me as well, I have the mat and it still thumps...

Quick Reply: Trunk Floor Lid Noise (Poor Trunk Floor Insulation)