Is premium gas NEEDED for the ILX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is premium gas NEEDED for the ILX?

Hey all,

I am thinking of buying an ILX, but I saw that it "requires" premium gas. Will using regular(87) gas be okay to use? I know some of the performance will be lost, is there anything else to worry about?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM
2014 ILX 2.4 6mt black

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
premium gas isnt required its recommended when i got my car from the dealer they told me they filled it with regular gas.. i use 89.. absolutely no difference i found between 87-89-91 gas mileage did not go up or down between either of them.. vtec worked in all gas types.. ur discretion
The following users liked this post:
happy1234 (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pockets
premium gas isnt required its recommended when i got my car from the dealer they told me they filled it with regular gas.. i use 89.. absolutely no difference i found between 87-89-91 gas mileage did not go up or down between either of them.. vtec worked in all gas types.. ur discretion
Thanks for the response amigo. That's music to my ears..
nickymarie (09-24-2023)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Nooooo! - She needs premium dude! PPPPPRRRREEEEMMMMIIIIIUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Nooooo! - She needs premium dude! PPPPPRRRREEEEMMMMIIIIIUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Care to expand on that? Or is this a tongue in cheek/"she deserves premium!!!" type of post? lol
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I run 93 octane in mine... I just think of it as a better quality gas. Not real sure it's all that better for the car, but the butt dyno shows a difference. Whether that is directly related to the knock retard of the car with 93 octane or just a placebo effect I am not sure.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use regular gas. I do 80% highway driving, so it does not matter to me regarding the power/acceleration. I have had no problems in passing most cars out there on the highway.

I am planning to try using premium gas over 1 month to see if there is a difference and will log the information. the test will happen in june - regular gas. July - premium gas.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I own a tsx but I used premium gas for about the first 6 months-I then switched to regular and have continued to use that. I get more than 30MPG, it has enough power and drives excellent after almost 167K miles.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Stay away from the mid-grade. That gas tends to sit the longest as it is used the least. Go Premium or go Regular. For me, Premium shows an increase in performance that negates the increase in price.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Ditto. Regular gas always on the 2.0 engine. 14K miles on the clock. No pings
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been using regular gas since I got the car in June. My dealer told me point-blank, "You don't need premium gas." He told me they always use regular gas for the showroom/test-drive cars, and that his customers who drive the SUVs for which premium is "required" typically use regular gas as well. Granted, he might have sensed that premium gas could be a deal-breaker for me, but there you have it.

I did hesitate a bit when I saw that the Civic Si requires premium, whereas the ILX 2.4 (same powertrain) only "recommends" it, but nonetheless I've been using regular exclusively, so I can't compare performance or mileage with different grades. The car is on a 3-year lease and I've only put ~5500 miles on it so far.

It does occur to me from time to time to start using premium, since it's now under $4 on Long Island (at least in some places), but I can't bring myself to do it yet.

A question, though: I've heard different opinions as to whether it's beneficial or effective to fill the car with premium once every 4-5 fillups or so, and use regular the rest of the time. Anyone have thoughts or experience with that?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
has anyone seen difference between gas brands among premium?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
91 Shell V-Power >>>>>>>
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regular

I'm on my 3rd Acura, 87 all the way. From day 1 even the Dealer said regular is fine. After 4 years, and 110 miles a day they all been absolutely fine. I would NEVER waste my money on premium. SCAM IMHO.

If your putting Premium gas in your Acura you are simply throwing your money away. Just multiply that extra 20-40 cents a gallon by hundreds of gallons per year and figure out how much money you are literally putting in the oil companies pockets...djc.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Guys, I'm the owner of a 2013 RDX and soon to be owner of a 2014 ILX next Friday

Back to the point on gas type.
Here's my understanding:
Under light usage, regular 87oct gas is 100% functionally safe and has negligible impact on mpg.
Under heavy usage, premium does offer better response AND better mpg.

Technically, IMHO, any Honda-Acura with an engine compression of 10.5 or lower (ILX has a compression of 10.6) will fall into the above case.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Ive been using the regular gas for a while now but I have been thinking about switching back because Im only seeing about 24mpg again.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The K24Z7's ignition values are tuned for 91 Octane. This means the 201hp output is achieved using that fuel. If you lower the octane rating, the engine will knock and produce less power because the optimal timing for maximum output will not be achieved. This will occur more as ambient temperatures rise.

Higher octane fuel allows an engine to use higher ignition values to achieve better output. Honda/Acura will have tuned these ignition values fairly conservative so if people run 87-89 octane, the engine will still be OK and experience only light knock - usually not audible.

Ultimately, if you bought the 2.4 then you want the power it delivers and that is using the 91 octane fuel.
The following 4 users liked this post by SlipAngle:
EvilVirus (03-27-2014), theque9 (03-23-2014), usdmJON (03-22-2014), VR1 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Instructor

The advantages of higher octane are true but there is reason why this does not always apply.
Specs and dyno curves are all done at WOT where the TB is 100% open and injectors squirting as much as possible. This is not the real world daily driving condition.

The maximum combustion condition provokes pinging at lower RPM (low piston velocity) as the high rate (too high) of pressure rise results in fuel mixture self combusting vs. a controlled burn.
Higher octane fuel burns slower thus slowing down the rate of pressure rise and is more stable as well (higher combustion temperature).

To mitigate pinging with lower octane fuel (again at WOT, throttle 100%) the engine timing is retarded (delayed) to allow the piston speed to rise (piston velocity follows a sinusoidal value: it is zero at TDC and maximum 90 degs later). The higher piston speed allows a higher volume rate increase thus lowering pressure rise rate.

Okay, so that's all at WOT. What happens when you only have your foot at 50% throttle?
Well the combustion chamber displacement is still same size (500cc per cylinder for a 2.0l engine) but the air fuel mixture is less dense (lower pressure) thus the combustion is less "intense" and thus the rate of pressure rise is also less.

So in theory, under a certain partial throttle (light use) condition, regular octane gas will not cause any pinging as the combustion is at a much less "intense" condition and in turn allow the engine to keep it's optimal (and original) ignition timing.

In the real world this confirms the mixed feedback people have been giving regarding Honda engines with medium high engine compression #s (lower than say 10.7:1) running regular gas: users that are light on the throttle say there is no difference, users with heavy feet say there is a definitive performance difference both in power and mpg.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipribadi:
CoquiTSX (03-24-2014), EvilVirus (03-27-2014), internalaudit (04-14-2014), robtroxel (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ipribadi
The advantages of higher octane are true but there is reason why this does not always apply.
Specs and dyno curves are all done at WOT where the TB is 100% open and injectors squirting as much as possible. This is not the real world daily driving condition.

The maximum combustion condition provokes pinging at lower RPM (low piston velocity) as the high rate (too high) of pressure rise results in fuel mixture self combusting vs. a controlled burn.
Higher octane fuel burns slower thus slowing down the rate of pressure rise and is more stable as well (higher combustion temperature).

To mitigate pinging with lower octane fuel (again at WOT, throttle 100%) the engine timing is retarded (delayed) to allow the piston speed to rise (piston velocity follows a sinusoidal value: it is zero at TDC and maximum 90 degs later). The higher piston speed allows a higher volume rate increase thus lowering pressure rise rate.

Okay, so that's all at WOT. What happens when you only have your foot at 50% throttle?
Well the combustion chamber displacement is still same size (500cc per cylinder for a 2.0l engine) but the air fuel mixture is less dense (lower pressure) thus the combustion is less "intense" and thus the rate of pressure rise is also less.

So in theory, under a certain partial throttle (light use) condition, regular octane gas will not cause any pinging as the combustion is at a much less "intense" condition and in turn allow the engine to keep it's optimal (and original) ignition timing.

In the real world this confirms the mixed feedback people have been giving regarding Honda engines with medium high engine compression #s (lower than say 10.7:1) running regular gas: users that are light on the throttle say there is no difference, users with heavy feet say there is a definitive performance difference both in power and mpg.
+10
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Instructor

And for those driving a stick shift, this is why pinging or knocking does not happen at high RPM.
At high RPM the piston velocity is high thus the chamber volume expansion rate is also high which avoids the pinging.

Just imaging riding a bicycle.
The power stroke by your foot should start slightly after your pedal is top dead center (TDC) and powers thru the majority of the downward stroke.
Pinging is basically stomping on the pedal early and not pushing thru.

But at high speeds with the pedals rapidly cycling, you can't really stomp on your pedal anymore as the pedal's speed going down is as about a fast as your foot trying to stomp it.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

There is no active ignition retard on the K24Z7. Over time the ECU will adjust for Octane levels but ping/knock will occur.

I see what you're saying but I think this is a bit simplified. Each engine RPM and Load Index has different ignition values. Pumping in 87 octane will still cause the engine to ping/knock at part throttle.

And for those driving a stick shift, this is why pinging or knocking does not happen at high RPM.
At high RPM the piston velocity is high thus the chamber volume expansion rate is also high which avoids the pinging.
Knock absolutely occurs at high rpm, it's just hard for the ECU to detect it because of all the noise with high RPM operation. In fact, high RPM knock is the most dangerous to the engine.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Instructor

SlipAngle, thanks for the inputs!
Wait, I think we're talking about TWO DIFFERENT engines here:

I'm talking about the R20A1 with 10.6:1 compression ratio in the ILX 2.0L.
Not the K24Z7 with 11:0:1 compression ratio in the ILX 2.4L 6MT.

There are two factors being discussed:
1.) Engine damage - yes for 11.0:1 compression engines, even at "most" partial throttle, pinging will still occur with 87oct. Tho at low partial throttle, pinging won't occur but that case is just not realistic.

2.) Engine performance: the idea of using 87oct is only justifyable if day to day performance (mpg) is not affected which means the engine never pings and retains optimal ignition timing.

This scenario just doesn't happen realistically enough with high compression engines like the K24Z7 which you are correctly addressing.
Only perhaps if one never goes beyond 40% throttle and live in flat plains at an 8,000 feet altitude (but then gas pumps sell 85 octane, not 87).

For those who live closer to sea level, don't drive hard or have daily steep inclines, I believe the R20A1 can handle 87oct just fine with no reliability or performance mpg hit.

Last edited by ipribadi; 03-25-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SlipAngle
There is no active ignition retard on the K24Z7. Over time the ECU will adjust for Octane levels but ping/knock will occur.
How can it adjust for lower octane wihtout adjusting the timing? Inquiirng minds.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlipAngle
Knock absolutely occurs at high rpm, it's just hard for the ECU to detect it because of all the noise with high RPM operation. In fact, high RPM knock is the most dangerous to the engine.
I think this is not the norm for most mild pinging/knocking cases correct (which happen after TDC)?

It is true as ignition timing becomes more advanced before TDC with rising RPM, piston velocity becomes irrelevant to avoid pinging if the pinging/knock happens around or even before TDC.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

SlipAngle, thanks for the inputs!
Wait, I think we're talking about TWO DIFFERENT engines here:

I'm talking about the R20A1 with 10.6:1 compression ratio in the ILX 2.0L.
Not the K24Z7 with 11:0:1 compression ratio in the ILX 2.4L 6MT.

There are two factors being discussed:
1.) Engine damage - yes for 11.0:1 compression engines, even at "most" partial throttle, pinging will still occur with 87oct. Tho at low partial throttle, pinging won't occur but that case is just not realistic.

2.) Engine performance: the idea of using 87oct is only justifyable if day to day performance (mpg) is not affected which means the engine never pings and retains optimal ignition timing.

This scenario just doesn't happen realistically enough with high compression engines like the K24Z7 which you are correctly addressing.
Only perhaps if one never goes beyond 40% throttle and live in flat plains at an 8,000 feet altitude (but then gas pumps sell 85 octane, not 87).

For those who live closer to sea level, don't drive hard or have daily steep inclines, I believe the R20A1 can handle 87oct just fine with no reliability or performance mpg hit.
Ok, well you had mentioned stick shift and the only ILX with stick is the K24Z7. I agree, if the recommended octane for the 2 liter engine is 87 then that's what it's been tuned for and using higher octane is not going to make a difference. I don't think Acura dynamically adjusts ignition in this engine either.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
How can it adjust for lower octane wihtout adjusting the timing? Inquiirng minds.
I'll try not to make this too complicated but Honda's knock control is a bit tricky to understand.

What I mean is that it's reactive to knock vs predictive. The only way the ECU knows what octane you are running is by reacting to knock that actually occurs.

So, because the engine is tuned for and has been run with 91 octane, it will have higher ignition values to take advantage of the slower burn of that fuel and thus produce more power. If you fill up with 87 octane, the only way the ECU knows to retard ignition is by hearing knock occur via the knock sensor. This means the knock has already occurred and thus damage may have been the result. This is especially true in high load and high heat conditions.

The ECU will adjust for the octane levels over time but from what Hondata said, it's slow.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

I think this is not the norm for most mild pinging/knocking cases correct (which happen after TDC)?

It is true as ignition timing becomes more advanced before TDC with rising RPM, piston velocity becomes irrelevant to avoid pinging if the pinging/knock happens around or even before TDC.
I would generally agree with your first statement, assuming an engine with a stock ECU.

Knock occurs because the ignition of fuel happens before the piston has started it's downward movement. The ping or knock is from the piston rattling inside the cylinder when the flame front hits it as it's still rising.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Instructor

I agree with the knock sensor being reactive not predictive.
Even after it has retarded the timing, routinely the ECU will always try to advance the timing back to it's optimal setting only to find that it still knocks.

Again, I'm talking about the R20A1 engine with 10.6:1 ratio (same as Civic's R18) being okay with 87oct, not the K24Z7 engine with its higher compression.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Instructor

how about 100 octane jet fuel
Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aksilx
how about 100 octane jet fuel
Tried it in my old v70 T5 300hp.....and s*** did it make the car go!!!! did this just before i sold the car to the dealer
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Instructor

SlipAngle,
I believe knocking or pinging by itself is a generic term, but typically occurs after ignition and when the combustion rises near its peak pressure.

Peak combustion pressure is designed to occur way after TDC, typically 14-20 degrees. Knocking of course occurs before peak combustion pressure, but typically not far from it for marginal engine knocking conditions.

The audible sound of knocking pinging is due to resonance of the engine structure being hit like a hammer by the detonation pressure hike.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey slipangle and iprabadi what do you guys do for a living? You guys seem pretty smart you're using technical jargon pretty accurately and you're arguing like gentlemen, instead of name calling like little kids. Reason I ask is because I'm still trying to figure out what to major in for my bachelors. I was thinking bio-engineering, cuz I wanna do pre med (not really a major, more like required classes) but I also like knowing how to build/ make / design stuff. Right now I'm just finishing classes to transfer in to a different school. Already got an associates. You guys seem to be science-y type of dudes, so I figured maybe either engineers, mechanics, or something in between there.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by x95zsk
Tried it in my old v70 T5 300hp.....and s*** did it make the car go!!!! did this just before i sold the car to the dealer

very nice!! Those V70 are beasts
Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

SlipAngle,
I believe knocking or pinging by itself is a generic term, but typically occurs after ignition and when the combustion rises near its peak pressure.

Peak combustion pressure is designed to occur way after TDC, typically 14-20 degrees. Knocking of course occurs before peak combustion pressure, but typically not far from it for marginal engine knocking conditions.

The audible sound of knocking pinging is due to resonance of the engine structure being hit like a hammer by the detonation pressure hike.
As you mention there are a few causes of ping/detonation/knock/pre-ignition. Ultimately all destructive to varies degrees. The shock wave and resonance you mention is caused in certain situations ranging from minor to serious. In addition, you can have the ping/knock event that is the result of the flame front travelling towards and making contact with the piston as it travels towards TDC. This is a more severe event and has a higher potential for causing bent rods and chipped/broken pistons.

In this type of event the knock heard by the sensor will be processed by the ECU as a high voltage knock event. In tuning this would be the result of advancing the timing to far for the octane being used in the car.

I made a knock microphone a few years back. When knock/ping occurs it sounds like whipping sheet metal.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Hey slipangle and iprabadi what do you guys do for a living? You guys seem pretty smart you're using technical jargon pretty accurately and you're arguing like gentlemen, instead of name calling like little kids. Reason I ask is because I'm still trying to figure out what to major in for my bachelors. I was thinking bio-engineering, cuz I wanna do pre med (not really a major, more like required classes) but I also like knowing how to build/ make / design stuff. Right now I'm just finishing classes to transfer in to a different school. Already got an associates. You guys seem to be science-y type of dudes, so I figured maybe either engineers, mechanics, or something in between there.
I'm in Information Technology. I've been tuning K Series engines using Hondata KPro/Flashpro for about 8 years and gained my knowledge from forums like this one. Just a hobby for me but I do find it interesting and there is always something to learn.
aomechmarine (04-04-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Slipangle, thanks again for the info.
I'd imagine knocking BTDC would be really bad esp at high rpm repetition; kinda like getting punched wing chun style.

Aomechmarine, I got my degree in aerospace engineering and liked to tinker around with my car's engine when I was in college years back, non Honda tho and still had to use a strobe light for timing.

This kinda stuff isn't in school, if you go mech eng you'll get a few classes about thermoD and internal combustion engines, but nothing in detail.
I too learned plenty from forums like.
aomechmarine (04-04-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Switt23
I run 93 octane in mine... I just think of it as a better quality gas.
Better quality gas look up "top tier gas" octane rating has nothing to do with the "quality" of the gas. Since Acura "recommends" Premium but does not require it you might get some additional performance versus regular. It's your money spend it on what makes you feel good
Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
So in the end what have we decided...
89... will it hurt a casual driver?
89... will it hurt a heavy foot driver?

Does Acura suggest 91 or 93?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Instructor

My personal conclusion:
2.0 ILX --> 87oct won't hurt nor affect mpg for the casual driver.

All other cases (2.0 heavy foot, 2.4 light foot, 2.4 heavy foot) --> 87 oct will affect mpg and possibly hurt the engine over time.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM
2014 ILX 2.4 6mt black

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
acura suggests 91