Ok, so what should I believe about the ILX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012 | 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Ok, so what should I believe about the ILX?

Long time lurker, infrequent if ever poster here... Having read almost every review I can find on the ILX, I'm not sure what to do when it comes to my next car. I've had Acuras / Hondas for 20 years, and my current 2009 TSX is more than fine power wise (despite initial reviews to the contrary), and if it weren't for silly issues throughout my time with it (many of which have gone unresolved despite constant communication with my dealer's service advisor), I'd get into another Acura, be it a ILX or a TL, or even another TSX without hesitation.

I'm thinking of going ILX to be a little more responsible on the finance side of things, and to be honest, I'm not racing anyone to work so I don't really care too much about horsepower just for horsepower's sake. I DO want to be able to step on it when I'm merging into freeway traffic, or overtaking someone on a two lane highway... so short of actually driving the ILX (I know I should and I will), I'd love to hear from new owners their honest opinion on performance, and in addition to that ride comfort and interior cabin noise... stuff like that, the intangibles that (hopefully) make ILX owners feel like their driving something worthy of an up market badge such as Acura.

I appreciate the indulgence, and any commentary you can provide...

All of this comes based on the 'opportunity to upgrade' letter I received in the mail today from my Acura dealer... and as I'm already pushing my KM limit on my lease that isn't up for another nine months, I'm seriously considering talking to the dealer to see what they can do for me.

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2012 | 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

I have both the TL and the ILX. Right now is really the best time to buy a TL because of factory incentives, loyalty bonus, etc., You can get a base TL for under $31k (after loyalty bonus) which is just $2k more than an ILX Premium. For that you get a much more substantial car than the ILX. If you're coming from a 2009 TSX, you'll find the TL to be a nice upgrade over the TSX.

If on the other hand, you think your TSX is too big and you want Civic-sized car but want to stay in the Acura family, then the ILX might be for you.
The following users liked this post:
Dale Cash (09-03-2012)
Old 08-14-2012 | 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's my take on this. If you are talking about the six speed manual ILX, it has (obviously) enough power for your needs. Things are a little more complicated if you're considering the 2 L engine. However, while many might consider it underpowered, it's no "more" underpowered that a 140 hp Honda Civic. While this might seem like a backhanded compliment, we need to face facts that 300,000 people every year buy Civics and don't find them to be deathtraps on the highway when it's time to pass another car.
3jack (08-22-2012)
Old 08-15-2012 | 04:10 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Colin
Here's my take on this. If you are talking about the six speed manual ILX, it has (obviously) enough power for your needs. Things are a little more complicated if you're considering the 2 L engine. However, while many might consider it underpowered, it's no "more" underpowered that a 140 hp Honda Civic. While this might seem like a backhanded compliment, we need to face facts that 300,000 people every year buy Civics and don't find them to be deathtraps on the highway when it's time to pass another car.
HP has always been more about desire than need. My first car (a Honda) had 89 HP and at the time seemed fine to me. My wife's Civic seems fine to me when I drive it, but when she drives my TSX she remarks how powerful it is if 201 HP counts as 'powerful.' It is enough for me but it also allows me to merge on highways without concern. I'm hoping the TLX will keep a 4-cyl in the line up because that's all I need and i don't want to spend for the V6. I've owned two 6-cyl cars and it was nice, but probably more than I needed.
Old 08-15-2012 | 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by commasign
I have both the TL and the ILX. Right now is really the best time to buy a TL because of factory incentives, loyalty bonus, etc., You can get a base TL for under $31k (after loyalty bonus) which is just $2k more than an ILX Premium. For that you get a much more substantial car than the ILX. If you're coming from a 2009 TSX, you'll find the TL to be a nice upgrade over the TSX.

If on the other hand, you think your TSX is too big and you want Civic-sized car but want to stay in the Acura family, then the ILX might be for you.
This is what I'm thinking -- TL. Just need to make sure that my son's goalie equipment fits in the trunk. At least the TL has a pass through for the sticks, unlike the ILX which only has the option to fold down the entire back seat.

Being in Canada the cost difference between the ILX and an incentivized TL might be a bit more, but I'm going to keep an open mind.
Old 08-15-2012 | 01:43 PM
Intermediate

My wife refuses to learn to drive a stick (she also refuses to have a dog), so I it's the autobox all the way.
Old 08-15-2012 | 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 3jack
My wife refuses to learn to drive a stick (she also refuses to have a dog), so I it's the autobox all the way.
The TL is a much more substantial car, but as with all things there are trade offs to each choice. In our situation, the TL is simply too large for the shrinking garage (it the phenomena where the garage shrinks to fit the size of your car).
Old 08-22-2012 | 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Ok, so I drove an ILX today, and to be honest -- not bad! It's smooth, adequate power but nothing to write home about. Very nice interior, and the car looks way better in person. Drawbacks? Small trunk and no 60-40 or passthru (I suppose one could McGyver a passthro thanks to the rear seat cupholder / armrest)... and the only quibble aside from the need to a touch more giddyup would be to have the steering tightened up a wee bit. Other than that, I think a lot of the negative reviews and quibbles over what coulda / shoulda been done with this car are getting too much play. Every car could be different / better / improved upon.

Will I be getting one? Not sure. It's between the ILX and the VW Jetta GLI. Not a fair fight when it comes to HP and handling (I drove a GLI today as well), but MSRP is very similar... though a fully ILX deal is significantly better on a lease (by about $100 / month)....
Old 08-22-2012 | 06:59 PM
Advanced

Ok, so I drove an ILX today, and to be honest -- not bad! It's smooth, adequate power but nothing to write home about. Very nice interior, and the car looks way better in person. Drawbacks? Small trunk and no 60-40 or passthru (I suppose one could McGyver a passthro thanks to the rear seat cupholder / armrest)... and the only quibble aside from the need to a touch more giddyup would be to have the steering tightened up a wee bit. Other than that, I think a lot of the negative reviews and quibbles over what coulda / shoulda been done with this car are getting too much play. Every car could be different / better / improved upon.

Will I be getting one? Not sure. It's between the ILX and the VW Jetta GLI. Not a fair fight when it comes to HP and handling (I drove a GLI today as well), but MSRP is very similar... though a fully ILX deal is significantly better on a lease (by about $100 / month)....
You and I are in the same boat. The 13' GLI is a hard package to deny
They added some extra features to it as well. Long term ownership will be cheaper in the Acura if you were to buy it. If you are leasing you will enjoy the VW more due to the turbo power, handling and sweet DSG transmission.
Old 08-23-2012 | 08:16 AM
Drifting

If you're leasing, then get the ilx. Otherwise, the VW is a much better offer.
Old 08-23-2012 | 08:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
In my opinion, VW's are just FUGLY cheap knock-off German vehicles, especially last two gen's.
Old 08-23-2012 | 09:17 AM
Drifting

This is a sharp looking car that is pretty comparable in tech...well almost, no keyless, no push button start, no Pandora, no sms integration, and no back-up camera when comparing the premium package vs the top shelf model gli....but you do get a gps and you do save 2k.

Old 08-23-2012 | 10:00 AM
Racer

This is a sharp looking car that is pretty comparable in tech...well almost, no keyless, no push button start, no Pandora, no sms integration, and no back-up camera when comparing the premium package vs the top shelf model gli....but you do get a gps and you do save 2k.

That car looks like its trying to hard to be something its not.

You get what you pay for. This is my third Acura. I would rather have any vehicle in the Acura lineup than I would of a "top shelf" VW.
Old 08-23-2012 | 11:42 AM
Drifting

^I got the ilx, lol so you know where my head is at
Old 08-23-2012 | 12:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

There's currently a $4k incentive with the TL. Base price including PDI and stuff is CAD$37.5k. An ILX premium with PDI starts at $32k.

I'd imagine one can get a bit more discount on the TL as the design is older (2009).
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fioravantim

You get what you pay for. This is my third Acura. I would rather have any vehicle in the Acura lineup than I would of a "top shelf" VW.
Having just had three plus years from a very problematic TSX, I would counter that I didn't feel I got what I paid for with Acura. I'm keeping an open mind however. The driving impression I got from VW Jetta GLI was that it was more of a driver's car than the ILX (non-dynamic model) with tighter steering and more power. That said, the ILX is a rather luxurious smaller car.

If in the end I find little difference in the deals I'm presented with, the GLI might win out due to cargo space, the trunk pass through, and the folding rear seats. Practicality does count when there is a goalie in the house (Canada here if I failed to mention that earlier).
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:04 PM
Intermediate

It will be a lease... actually waiting for pricing on the 2013 GLI from the dealer which will be available here in the next 10 days or so. Because residuals will be higher on a 2013, the payments might in turn be more competitive despite what will likely be higher interest rates. We'll see.
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:19 PM
Drifting

I thought the seats fold down on the ilx? The GLI is definitely more sport especially if you're comparing it against the 2.0. I'd go with whatever checks the most boxes, to be honest...looks like all things considered, gli is the way to go.
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:20 PM
Intermediate

^I got the ilx, lol so you know where my head is at
Did you get the 2.0 L version? If so, I'd be very interested to hear what you think after having driven it for a while... If you've already written on this feel free to link to it, thanks!
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:23 PM
Intermediate

I thought the seats fold down on the ilx? The GLI is definitely more sport especially if you're comparing it against the 2.0. I'd go with whatever checks the most boxes, to be honest...looks like all things considered, gli is the way to go.
The ILX seats aren't split fold downs, and there's no pass through. The entire back folds down as one piece. That means I can't have three people in the car if I've got to fold the seat down to make room for the hockey sticks.
Old 08-23-2012 | 06:58 PM
Pro

Really? To me it looks like any other mk6 Jetta w/ aftermarket wheels. Now the ILX on the other hand doesn't look like a Civic.
Old 08-23-2012 | 11:25 PM
Summer is Coming

I hope part of the power problem will be fixed when the ED engine is integrated with the car.

I was at my dealer this weekend and they had about 25 ILX's on the lot. So many MDX's I couldn't count, many TLs and TLX's and one RDX.

I saw for the first time an ILX in Crimson Garnet / parchment. Wow! That red is the best looking red I've ever seen on a car. Very similar to the BRP II but a bit darker. What stuck me most was the very deeply metallic specs. It looked really nice. If I were going to buy the ILX that is the color for me. I hope this color is available on the TLX.
Old 08-24-2012 | 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
Really? To me it looks like any other mk6 Jetta w/ aftermarket wheels. Now the ILX on the other hand doesn't look like a Civic.
True the ILX doesn't look like a Civic, but the Jetta GLI isn't an Audi, it's still badged as a VW, so it shouldn't look like something else.
Old 08-24-2012 | 09:35 AM
Pro

I'm no VW fanboy, but I just don't see where the Jetta looks like an Audi or 'trying' to be one. My point is, it looks like a base Jetta w/ aftermarket wheels. Don't see how that's trying to be an Audi imo.
Old 08-24-2012 | 10:01 AM
Racer

This is what I'm thinking -- TL. Just need to make sure that my son's goalie equipment fits in the trunk. At least the TL has a pass through for the sticks, unlike the ILX which only has the option to fold down the entire back seat.
Being an ice hockey goalie I thought I'd give you some insight. I play a lot 3-4 times a week so being able to transport my goalie stuff was a must. I had a TL loaner for a few days. I usually have my sticks in the back seat and the goalie bag in the trunk. I have a rather large bag with no wheels (we're hockey players, come on ). I am about 5'10" so my pads are 34+2 just to give you a educated guess on the size of the bag.

I currently own a '12 TSX. In my opinion, it is way easier to put my stuff in the TSX as opposed to the TL. The trunk opening in the TL is an awkward shape (made smaller with weird angles) which makes the opening smaller compared to the TSX. So if your son has a wheel bag, first, shame on you/him , secondly it might not fit cause you can't force the shape of the bag to fit in the TL. A normal non wheel bag can be stuffed in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by Slade037; 08-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2012 | 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slade037
Being an ice hockey goalie I thought I'd give you some insight. I play a lot 3-4 times a week so being able to transport my goalie stuff was a must. I had a TL loaner for a few days. I usually have my sticks in the back seat and the goalie bag in the trunk. I have a rather large bag with no wheels (we're hockey players, come on ). I am about 5'10" so my pads are 34+2 just to give you a educated guess on the size of the bag.

I currently own a '12 TSX. In my opinion, it is way easier to put my stuff in the TSX as opposed to the TL. The trunk opening in the TL is an awkward shape (made smaller with weird angles) which makes the opening smaller compared to the TSX. So if your son has a wheel bag, first, shame on you/him , secondly it might not fit cause you can't force the shape of the bag to fit in the TL. A normal non wheel bag can be stuffed in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck on your search!
I agree, I thought the same of the TL trunk regarding how it would be awkward to get the bag in and out due to the higher lift and angular opening. I've pretty much crossed it off my list of options.

Yes, he has a wheeled bag, but hey he's 13. I'm the head coach, so I have stuff of my own to bring to practices and games, so he needs to be able to move his own stuff around. And as for calling it 'ice hockey'...

Not terribly keen on another TSX unfortunately, though when it comes to getting the goalie bag in, even a wheeled one, along with my coaches gear it's pretty good.

Last edited by 3jack; 08-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2012 | 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
I'm no VW fanboy, but I just don't see where the Jetta looks like an Audi or 'trying' to be one. My point is, it looks like a base Jetta w/ aftermarket wheels. Don't see how that's trying to be an Audi imo.
That's not what I meant either. I think I misinterpreted your previous post, my bad. Aesthetically, both the ILX and the GLI appeal to me.
gonzo08452 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012 | 10:55 AM
Drifting

The passthru on the tl is almost useless from what I've heard because the way the trunk hits the passthru at an angle.

I have the 2.4 ilx and not the 2.0, so I can't comment much I'm powertrain, sorry op
Old 08-24-2012 | 11:48 AM
Intermediate

The passthru on the tl is almost useless from what I've heard because the way the trunk hits the passthru at an angle.

I have the 2.4 ilx and not the 2.0, so I can't comment much I'm powertrain, sorry op
No worries, thanks -- I'm going to take the goalie bag in and see how easy / difficult it is to get it squeezed in to the ILX.

I wonder how hard it would be to create my own passthrough in the ILX... the backing to the fold down cup holders in the back seat seems to be merely material.
Old 08-24-2012 | 11:53 AM
Racer

I bet the bag will get in the trunk of an ILX alright. It looks like it has the standard trunk opening. You can lay the sticks in the back unless you have stuff there. I have also done in my Accord putting the sticks along the passenger front and rear doors. Between the pillar and passenger seat.

I used to coach too so I always had to bring a crap ton of stuff. Fits well in the TSX. Hopefully its about the same in the ILX for you!
Old 08-24-2012 | 01:17 PM
Drifting

does the civic si have a 60/40 split?
Old 08-24-2012 | 01:52 PM
Intermediate

does the civic si have a 60/40 split?
Yes it does
Old 08-24-2012 | 02:01 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

i told the guy who did the crosstown drive with me at the NY ILX test drive event about the preference to have 60/40 seating. he made a note of it and said he'd pass it on to the suggestion/feedback people.
Old 08-24-2012 | 02:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Havazn
Yes it does
so then wth acura? should've been implemented.
Old 08-24-2012 | 03:09 PM
Pro

this is a sharp looking car that is pretty comparable in tech...well almost, no keyless, no push button start, no pandora, no sms integration, and no back-up camera when comparing the premium package vs the top shelf model gli....but you do get a gps and you do save 2k.
I agree but actually the 2013 GLI has an upgraded interior this year as they brought back the soft touch dash (Materials) Push Button start, Back-up Camera, Xeons, LED's, etc. While it doesnt have Pandora or SMS, etc, IMHO i would sooner trade that off for better performance, versatility, room, cargo capacity, etc etc.

having just had three plus years from a very problematic tsx, i would counter that i didn't feel i got what i paid for with acura. I'm keeping an open mind however. The driving impression i got from vw jetta gli was that it was more of a driver's car than the ilx (non-dynamic model) with tighter steering and more power. That said, the ilx is a rather luxurious smaller car.

If in the end i find little difference in the deals i'm presented with, the gli might win out due to cargo space, the trunk pass through, and the folding rear seats. Practicality does count when there is a goalie in the house (canada here if i failed to mention that earlier).
I was in your shoes back in 2006 and agree with "Slade037" as im a Goalie also.

In 2006 my final choices where between the GLI/2.0T and the 1G TSX. These two cars where VERY similar all around and in the end I went with the VW as it was $2000 cheaper and had a better/more enjoyable drivetrain IMO.

If you dont want to go the same route with another TSX, the GLI is a no brainer considering your needs compared to the ILX. While im sure the ILX is a very nice vehicle (Sat in a couple but never driven one) the GLI destroys it in cargo capacity, rear seat room, versatility and performance. All for the same price, while still having the same level of luxury and quality.

As "Slade037" Mentioned, I have similar goal pads 35+2 and use a Vaughn Sr. Goal bag. The MKV Jetta that i have has the same size trunk as the new MKVI. All I do is open the trunk and slide the bag in and then fold down one split seat and put the sticks in. If i have to pick anyone else up I still have room for more sticks and two players bags (One in the trunk and one on the folded down seat back inside). I personally find trunk pass thru's are generally useless for us as when the sticks are in you now cant get the goal bag in properly and therefore the split folding seats are essential.

The versatility is amazing as the other day i put a 6 foot folding painters ladder in through the trunk and all of my plumbing and drywall tools to go work on a project. The best part is when your not hauling anything you then have a fun, tossable, sporty car that looks great and can be still great on fuel.

In 2010 i considered buying a 2010 TL 6MT as i liked the ride and handling of the vehicle but the build quality, styling and most important versatilty quashed the deal. The easiest way to get my goal bag in the TL was to put the front seats forward and jam the goal bag in the rear seat and then put the sticks inside too as the pass thru was obviously useless. Just doing this once on the TL and i was scarring the leather seats with the bag and sticks. Imagine doing this several times a week over several years what that interior would look like .

Personally i dont think the TL will work at all for you and to my surprise just check on the features and rear seat/cargo room of a base TL to a GLI. Even if you could get a base TL for the same price as a GLI, The GLI would still be a better deal and value IMO.

that car looks like its trying to hard to be something its not.
With all do respect, your comment couldnt be further from the truth.

The GLI is just a performance/Luxury option added to the Jetta model as its not trying to be an Audi or any other Luxury brand.

The ILX on the other hand is exactly what you where trying to describe. It uses a Civic drivetrain and platform hidden in different sheet metal and interior trim to try and be a luxury model, when its original platform was designed for a mainstream economy model.
The following 2 users liked this post by cp3117:
3jack (08-24-2012), Costco (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012 | 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cp3117
The ILX on the other hand is exactly what you where trying to describe. It uses a Civic drivetrain and platform hidden in different sheet metal and interior trim to try and be a luxury model, when its original platform was designed for a mainstream economy model.
I'm not sure you can make this generalization. It's been the case for years that the new chassis' were designed with Acura's needs in mind. From what I understand, the last one that was a 'Honda first, Acura second" was the 2G TL. On the smaller chassis' 1G and 2G Integras were surly Honda first, but I'm not as sure about 3G (though it probably was). The 2G TSX's ability to handle the V-6 would be an example of this.

As for the ILX, there is a lot more under the skin that is different, from aluminum front bumper beams, and in the case of the hybrid a rear beam as well. An aluminum hood and 59% high strength steel vs. 50% for the Civic. So I can't say with certainty (neither can you) but I know there has been an effort in recent years to develop with Acura in mind.
Old 08-24-2012 | 05:41 PM
Racer

Once again Colin comes to the aid of the ILX!

With all respect, not sure Acura had goalie with hockey equipment, ladders, and kids to haul around as the targeted demographic when they designed this car...If trunk space is a major determining factor to purchasing a car, maybe a full sized sedan, SUV, or truck would be better suited.
Old 08-24-2012 | 06:23 PM
Intermediate

If i have to pick anyone else up I still have room for more sticks and two players bags (One in the trunk and one on the folded down seat back inside).
This statement alone may have me convinced.

And while Acura didn't necessarily have cargo considerations at the top of their list when designing this car, merely adding a 60-40 split to the rear seat would do wonders for those of us who like the ILX, play hockey, and have kids who play hockey, as not all of us want a mini-minivan, minivan, or utilitarian people hauler.
Old 08-25-2012 | 03:30 PM
Pro

I'm not sure you can make this generalization. It's been the case for years that the new chassis' were designed with Acura's needs in mind. From what I understand, the last one that was a 'Honda first, Acura second" was the 2G TL. On the smaller chassis' 1G and 2G Integras were surly Honda first, but I'm not as sure about 3G (though it probably was). The 2G TSX's ability to handle the V-6 would be an example of this.

As for the ILX, there is a lot more under the skin that is different, from aluminum front bumper beams, and in the case of the hybrid a rear beam as well. An aluminum hood and 59% high strength steel vs. 50% for the Civic. So I can't say with certainty (neither can you) but I know there has been an effort in recent years to develop with Acura in mind.
Too be honest Colin, its not just me but its the majority of the auto industry that are also making this generalization.

While i agree that what you said about the improvements of Aluminum beams, high strength steel, etc etc is true. It doesnt change the fact that the base platform/chassis is the same as the Civic.

Just because a manufactuer changes the suspention tuning, steering, front/rear track, etc etc to a platform doesnt make it a different base platform.

To keep on topic just look at a base jetta and the GLI. The front and rear tracks, suspention, steering, etc are all different but that doesnt mean the base platforms are now completely changed. The same can be said for a base Civic and a Civic Si.

Please correct me if im wrong but are you saying that the base platform/chassis is completely redesigned between the Civic and ILX along with the drivetrains (engine/Trans) ???

Personally I love that Acura went to depths to make the ILX overall much different from the Civic, especially from a cosmetic point of view. I always shake my head when i see the various generations of the Civic knock-off up here (CSX, EL).

Originally Posted by rxj27
Once again Colin comes to the aid of the ILX!

With all respect, not sure Acura had goalie with hockey equipment, ladders, and kids to haul around as the targeted demographic when they designed this car...If trunk space is a major determining factor to purchasing a car, maybe a full sized sedan, SUV, or truck would be better suited.
But this is the point of what the OP, myself and others are making. With a properly designed cargo layout and the simple addition of a split folding seat, I dont need to go out and pay more for a full-sized sedan, truck or SUV.

It seems Acura marketed the ILX towards the young professional with an Active lifestyle. So personally I would hope they would take things like sporting equiptment and transporting of various items into account.

I forgot to mention earlier that i can also take the front wheel off my mountain bike and place the whole bike into the trunk and through both folded down seats. That would be impossible with the ILX and while you might not think its important a couple threads where started a year ago over in the TL section where a few members where pissed they couldnt do that because Acura refuses to put fold down seats in the TL.
Old 08-25-2012 | 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Please correct me if im wrong but are you saying that the base platform/chassis is completely redesigned between the Civic and ILX along with the drivetrains (engine/Trans) ???
No where did you get that idea? The reason I clipped your post was the emphasize what portion I was replying to. Primarily the assertion that the chassis was designed for the Civic first. I was citing recent examples where the 'body in white' was designed with the needs of the Acura version in mind, and made 'cheaper' for mainstream Honda usage.

Also, on a related note: Why does everyone (on the internet in general, not you specifically) say this is the Civic Si drivetrain in the 2.4 model? This combo (2.4 + 6MT) has been in the TSX for much longer than the Si and since it doesn't have the LSD, it seems like it's closer to the TSX anyway. So is the glass half empty or half full? Are you overpaying for a fancy Civic or are you getting the TSX drivetrain in a smaller, lighter car with more feature content? (is this a failing of Acura PR to 'frame' it correctly with the press)?

In many respects, this Acura first mentality has happened elsewhere if people care to look for it. The 'real' VTEC came out (in North Am) on the NSX first and then moved into other cars. Of course many laymen don't realize there are a lot of versions of VTEC including some that are not the 'performance VTEC" such as the SOHC versions that found it's way into the 2.3L Accord engines from the late 90's. VTM-4 debuted with the MDX and became the AWD setup for the Pilot/Ridgeline when SH-AWD debuted in the next gen cars. There is also the 6AT that is moving toward Honda V6s as they get refreshed.

This is not to say that tech doesn't move the other way, the ILX hybrid and RDX AWD system are two of the most recent examples. However, there are things that the (collective) internet takes as the gospel truth I take with a grain of salt. And not just cause I work for a dealer (where my boss recently said I have the 'worst attitude in the store about our product' if you can believe that).

Quick Reply: Ok, so what should I believe about the ILX?