New topic... Again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New topic... Again...

It's been a while... But I am back to address some of the posts that I made. The forum here made it kind of difficult to answer all the posts that I made in various topic.

First of all, I would like to thank and appreciate the few people who inbox me asking me about the car as well as the people who started to feel how I feel about the car and its problems (not many but just enough to make me feel it was worth it to take all the flames from other Acura owners). I appreciate it. I truly do. Guess not everyone here is a freaking Acura Zealot.

Now, onto addressing each question. First, to the TSX/TL owners AGAIN: True, I never owned a TSX/TL nor did I drive one long enough to gave it a review but I think I made the right choice to pick the ILX over those 2.

TSX is priced very similar to the premium package here in Canada as well and gave a equally if not better incentive with cash purchases. However, I (personal opinion here) didn't like the way TSX look (outdated/going to be replaced by TLX), missing push button, and if you want automatic, you have to pay another $1000. I do like the electric power seat/memory but then it would cost nearly the same as my tech. ILX.

For the TL, pretty simple: price. We get at least a $5000-$8000 incentive here for cash purchase of a TL. However, to get all the bell and whistle here its going to cost 50k+ (43k-45k SH-AWD Nav Push button with pdi and tax). That is a pretty big jump from 34K. Now, you might say: jeez ! get the base model you spoil brat ! Then we won't have AWD, Nav, or even push button AND it would still cost about 3-4k more.

Now, I did say I would take the new Nissan Altima over this car since I thought it was the bigger and better car. Again, Nissan here not only offer a much similar price to the ILX compared to the similarly sized TL, I also find it to have more tech./fuel efficient compare to the TL. Yes, that is in fact an OPINION not a FACT ! Again, TL not only going to be replaced it also cost a lot more up here then the new Altima. Now tech is subjective but similarly priced the Altima's would have a nice two nice screen with a touch Nav as well as a backup camera that airdrys itself (something that is surprisingly useful up here) and compare to base TL I find that a bit more attractive.

*Side note: to that one unfortunate owner who had an Atima died on him exactly 100k miles, I don't know what is like in the States but up here in Van. I don't know a single person who drives more then 100k in KM let alone 100k in MILES before switching for a new car. The average here is 10k miles a year. Again, highly subjective but I think you got your value out of it when you had 160k km on it (not saying it should die on you but just saying getting 160k out of it is really not that bad, again, I know it sucks).

**double side note: doesn't apply to road enthusiasts and 4cruzin

To the people that said: "oh you want luxury? Why don't you go buy a 5 series/Bentley/Lambo !" They think they are so witty and slick with the comebacks. I kept on forgetting that the internet are full of people with Downs and are incapable of thinking. I want luxury yes. Expecting a 30k+ car to have an electric passenger seat, not sound like a corolla and 60/40 split is not asking too much I think. Yes I should have spent a bit more $ for luxury. But comparing ILX to a Bentley? Even being sarcastic has its limit. I don't know if you are giving the Acura brand here too much credit or that you simply have Downs.

To the people who says I shouldn't have bought this car to impress chicks: What do you think a 23 year-old straight guy is going to do when buying a car? Just looking for practicality and fuel efficiency? If I want that I would get myself another corolla LOL. I admit that I fell for the whole "badge" thing but hey I'd still take this over a corolla/Civic any day... At least when I need to pick up my date.

To the people who said I should return it: Don't think I haven't seriously thought of that. I really agree with my dealer in the Audi dealership and some of the people on car forums: "Drive a car that you truly enjoy." And I really enjoyed the rear wheel 3 series more. But, like I stated like a thousand times, its 10k more without Nav. Even I return this car two month earlier I still wouldn't be able to truly afford a 3 series unless I sell my stocks or work more hours at my job. Even then, I would have to take a 5k-9k hit on the car. As much as I seem to "hate" this car, I actually quite enjoy and like it. Just not in love with it. It could have been a better car just like every other car (even though it could have been MUCH better) I did end up buying this over the Altima or BMW and I think that says something in itself.

Even though I don't agree with many of the reviews going around criticizing this car (I personally believe their criticism all went to the wrong things) you have to admit that this car has been BLASTED by critics. I can't imagine they are ALL wrong (the review I've seen gave it a 7/10).

Its been nearly 3 months since I've owned a ILX tech. I think I can give a more honest and fair review. I would post my pictures and full review (1k word+) soon.

PS. Whatever happen to the "water on my window" topic? I swear it getting worst here up in Canada with -1 degree out there. Who says there was a problem again? Please msg me and let me know what went wrong. Acura told me there are no problems but I guess I am wrong???

Last edited by deathknight777; 01-23-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Advanced

Lol I think I wrote too much... I am going to disappear again for a while haha
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deathknight777
Lol I think I wrote too much... I am going to disappear again for a while haha
Such an eloquent statement, particularly from someone insensitive enough to repeatedly use an unfortunate syndrome such as Downs to describe those he does not agree with.

Can someone please point me to an Acura forum where grown up conversations occur?
The following 3 users liked this post by ofplon:
TLtrigirl (01-23-2013), Trentimus (01-23-2013), tsxinva (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Just remember boys and girls, you do have the option to block members.
The following 2 users liked this post by HEAVY_RL:
4cruizn (01-23-2013), Trentimus (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
At this point you're beating a dead horse.

And, you do know Down syndrom is real? That's not cool, man.

In my personal opinions you got those comebacks because you were comparing your budget to unrealistic expectations.. I would say those people clearly thought out their suggestions (see: define sarcasm). You were originally comparing YOUR ILX, a 30,000 dollar car, to the expectations of 45-50,000 dollar car (comparibly equiped). You told the TSX and TL owners that were in discussion with you that they knew NOTHING about the ILX because they "didn't own one".. then went on to bash the TSX and TL (see: define contradiction). You're calling everyone "Acura Zealots" because of their reactions to some of, what I'd see as, ridiculous comments made by you.

I am in agreeance with you.. the car COULD be quieter and it COULD have minor details here and there. But, the extent to which you stated your unconstructive criticism and unfair comparisons is what got you where you are now.

I think this post is pointless. But, I will tell you.. I am going to fix the road noise on my own, and I am sure Acura will address it for '14 models.. I am going to fix the thud in the trunk (it's reported new shocks will do the trick), and I am sure Acura will issue a recall for it. I am going to explore some options on the water on the windows issue.. hopefully Acura will address it with current 1st Gen'ers..

Here's to hoping.

Last edited by Trentimus; 01-23-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Quick grammar/spelling revision.
The following 5 users liked this post by Trentimus:
4cruizn (01-23-2013), jwong77 (01-24-2013), psunuce (01-23-2013), terdonal (01-23-2013), TLtrigirl (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ofplon
Such an eloquent statement, particularly from someone insensitive enough to repeatedly use an unfortunate syndrome such as Downs to describe those he does not agree with.

Can someone please point me to an Acura forum where grown up conversations occur?
Well everybody s reply here are all so constructive right ?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trentimus
At this point you're beating a dead horse.

And, you do know Down syndrom is real? That's not cool, man.

In my personal opinions you got those comebacks because you were comparing your budget to unrealistic expectations.. I would say those people clearly thought out their suggestions (see: define sarcasm). You were originally comparing YOUR ILX, a 30,000 dollar car, to the expectations of 45-50,000 dollar car (comparibly equiped). You told the TSX and TL owners that were in discussion with you that they knew NOTHING about the ILX because they "didn't own one".. then went on to bash the TSX and TL (see: define contradiction). You're calling everyone "Acura Zealots" because of their reactions to some of, what I'd see as, ridiculous comments made by you.

I am in agreeance with you.. the car COULD be quieter and it COULD have minor details here and there. But, the extent to which you stated your unconstructive criticism and unfair comparisons is what got you where you are now.

I think this post is pointless. But, I will tell you.. I am going to fix the road noise on my own, and I am sure Acura will address it for '14 models.. I am going to fix the thud in the trunk (it's reported new shocks will do the trick), and I am sure Acura will issue a recall for it. I am going to explore some options on the water on the windows issue.. hopefully Acura will address it with current 1st Gen'ers..

Here's to hoping.
I do feel like beating a dead horse. But if they are going to criticize or ask questions I feel the need to comply. Sure, the downs part is a bit harsh from me and I shouldn't have made a joke out of that. For that I apologize. Anyways, I no longer care about the noise as much as the water part. Were you the one who had a problem or someone else who had the window frozen shut?

Ps. Please lock my other topics if you can.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Just remember boys and girls, you do have the option to block members.
Yeah feel free to do so. I feel like I actually help this board getting views and doing new topics are fun. Considering how dead the ilx board is, even if people think I am trolling I am glad I can contribute. People know this is a bad car but not for the right reason (IMO).
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah feel free to do so. I feel like I actually help this board getting views and doing new topics are fun. Considering how dead the ilx board is, even if people think I am trolling I am glad I can contribute. People know this is a bad car but not for the right reason (IMO).
So what exactly is the "right" reason in your opinion? Last I checked, everyone has their own reason for buying a car, whether it's for a specific purpose or for pleasure. I, for one, bought this car out of a weighted decision: I wanted performance, luxury, and decent reliability, and felt out of my current situation buying a new car with a long warranty trumped performance. The engine (2.0), while not mind-blowing, isn't too shabby either and does a great job at giving power on demand, so it was a fair trade-off.

Should have Acura done more to the ILX before releasing it? Yes, I truly believe that they SHOULD HAVE done a better job at the ILX. A lot of road noise, no power passenger seat, LEDs, etc; I can write a list on what they should have done, but what I also believe is that people have completely forgotten about the tsunami that greatly harmed Japanese manufacturers, Honda included, and it directly affected THIS car. If I can find the source, I'll post it, but Earth Dreams was supposed to debut in this car, but thanks to the tsunami, this is what we're "stuck with", and if you ask me - not a bad first attempt at introducing a small car to the luxury segment, not to mention they are one of the first arrivals in this segment.

I've owned this car for 6 months now and the car still turns heads on the roads. I keep getting compliments on how the car looks and everyone that's been inside my car is impressed with the technology, and with the acceleration as well. Sure, Acura may not hit their 30,000 and more towards 24,000, but IMO, not bad for a first attempt since the Integra/RSX, and no, I'm not counting the Canadian EL and CSX since they were exclusive to one market and a TRUE luxury version of the Honda Civic. Only a small part of the exterior of the ILX reminds me of the Honda Civic and you'd have to realize it's based off of it.

Reading your posts, I don't think you're trolling, but it's hard to take you seriously Deathknight. For a first new car, you can't deny the ILX is amazing. Not everyone can say their first new car was luxury. Hell, this is my first car, after driving my father's cars for 7 years, and they were all luxury (2005 Volvo XC90, 2007 BMW X3 28i, 2011 X3 35i MSport). All of my friends' first cars are beaters or 5 year old cars, so I feel privileged to be able to own such a fine vehicle. Will my next car be an Acura? If they don't step their game up with the TLX, probably not, and I may look to move on after the 5 year warranty is up. Moving more upscale, as you and everyone has mentioned, there are plenty of options. With the ILX, the luxury compact segment is starting up and there will be plenty of options in the future (Hell, I would have likely bought the Mercedes CLA250 or the Audi A3 sedan if they were available when the ILX was).

I'm curious to see your review. I do hope it's more constructive and less criticism towards the members of this board. I lurk more than anything else, so I don't consider myself an active member, nor do I consider myself an Acura zealot, but I know a good car when I see one, and the ILX is one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rickards:
4cruizn (01-23-2013), CoquiTSX (01-24-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
no offense to you or anyone else, just some people tend to bicker and argue more than others.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rickards
So what exactly is the "right" reason in your opinion? Last I checked, everyone has their own reason for buying a car, whether it's for a specific purpose or for pleasure. I, for one, bought this car out of a weighted decision: I wanted performance, luxury, and decent reliability, and felt out of my current situation buying a new car with a long warranty trumped performance. The engine (2.0), while not mind-blowing, isn't too shabby either and does a great job at giving power on demand, so it was a fair trade-off.

Should have Acura done more to the ILX before releasing it? Yes, I truly believe that they SHOULD HAVE done a better job at the ILX. A lot of road noise, no power passenger seat, LEDs, etc; I can write a list on what they should have done, but what I also believe is that people have completely forgotten about the tsunami that greatly harmed Japanese manufacturers, Honda included, and it directly affected THIS car. If I can find the source, I'll post it, but Earth Dreams was supposed to debut in this car, but thanks to the tsunami, this is what we're "stuck with", and if you ask me - not a bad first attempt at introducing a small car to the luxury segment, not to mention they are one of the first arrivals in this segment.

I've owned this car for 6 months now and the car still turns heads on the roads. I keep getting compliments on how the car looks and everyone that's been inside my car is impressed with the technology, and with the acceleration as well. Sure, Acura may not hit their 30,000 and more towards 24,000, but IMO, not bad for a first attempt since the Integra/RSX, and no, I'm not counting the Canadian EL and CSX since they were exclusive to one market and a TRUE luxury version of the Honda Civic. Only a small part of the exterior of the ILX reminds me of the Honda Civic and you'd have to realize it's based off of it.

Reading your posts, I don't think you're trolling, but it's hard to take you seriously Deathknight. For a first new car, you can't deny the ILX is amazing. Not everyone can say their first new car was luxury. Hell, this is my first car, after driving my father's cars for 7 years, and they were all luxury (2005 Volvo XC90, 2007 BMW X3 28i, 2011 X3 35i MSport). All of my friends' first cars are beaters or 5 year old cars, so I feel privileged to be able to own such a fine vehicle. Will my next car be an Acura? If they don't step their game up with the TLX, probably not, and I may look to move on after the 5 year warranty is up. Moving more upscale, as you and everyone has mentioned, there are plenty of options. With the ILX, the luxury compact segment is starting up and there will be plenty of options in the future (Hell, I would have likely bought the Mercedes CLA250 or the Audi A3 sedan if they were available when the ILX was).

I'm curious to see your review. I do hope it's more constructive and less criticism towards the members of this board. I lurk more than anything else, so I don't consider myself an active member, nor do I consider myself an Acura zealot, but I know a good car when I see one, and the ILX is one.
I hate to say it but I agree with every single thing you've said (you can probably tell I am not a very agreeable person). Thank you for your constructive feed back. I don't know if I am being an ass or not for saying this but this is exactly the type of response I thought I was going to get considering I feel everyone here is much more mature (if not at least older) then me so I was sadden by the response I've gotten so far (I know I don't really act my age either). But yeah I will be posting a review. Just waiting for another week to hit the exact 3 months ownership to properly review it.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I hate to say it but I agree with every single thing you've said (you can probably tell I am not a very agreeable person). Thank you for your constructive feed back. I don't know if I am being an ass or not for saying this but this is exactly the type of response I thought I was going to get considering I feel everyone here is much more mature (if not at least older) then me so I was sadden by the response I've gotten so far (I know I don't really act my age either). But yeah I will be posting a review. Just waiting for another week to hit the exact 3 months ownership to properly review it.

Death, I really feel like a lot of the responses you initially got were exactly like his...

Sigh, YOLO, HUNDO, and I'm out.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
LOL. Dude I really hope you become comfortable in your own skin some day.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
?...comfortable in your own skin some day.
LOL, When I read this all I could think of was this hilarious old commercial from many, many years ago.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
LOL. Dude I really hope you become comfortable in your own skin some day.
This is one of the disadvantages of youth. Not saying there arent exceptions, but I remember a time when I also cared what strangers thought about me. Growing up takes time and not everyone does so at the same rate.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, When I read this all I could think of was this hilarious old commercial from many, many years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iHhpKnN55w&sns=em
Great commercial.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Now that was funny!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by colin
lol, when i read this all i could think of was this hilarious old commercial from many, many years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ihhpknn55w&sns=em
Lol!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
i kept on forgetting that the internet are full of people with downs and are incapable of thinking. I want luxury yes. Expecting a 30k+ car to have an electric passenger seat, not sound like a corolla and 60/40 split is not asking too much i think. Yes i should have spent a bit more $ for luxury. But comparing ilx to a bentley? Even being sarcastic has its limit. I don't know if you are giving the acura brand here too much credit or that you simply have downs.
Statements like this are simply uncalled for, insensitive, ignorant, and simply untrue.

People with Downs Syndrome are fully capable of thoughts and expression. Though people with Downs syndrome suffer from delayed cognitive development that hinders speech expression, comprehension is frequently well within normal limits. Additionally diminished motor skills also put these people at an disadvantage and are believed to skew IQ results negatively.

People in this segment of the population deserve our compassion.

OP, perhaps it is you who is incapable of thought. There is no need to self aggrandize yourself over someone who is mentally and physically challenged through no fault of their own.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
no wonder they are thinking of about removing the TSX or merging it with the TL to create the TLX. It causes confusion price wise right now since the ilx is too close to the tsx. I agree that in canada the tsx and ilx are almost the same price. The tsx is a nice car but the looks are kind of getting dated. The ilx feels more fresh but lacks the reliability and fun to drive reputation of the TSX. it's a tough choice, but in the end choose the one that you like better. I personally like neither at the moment because they are offered with the ancient 5-speed automatic which my 2003 TL came with. I'm waiting to see if a new 6 speed auto or perhaps a refined cvt will be offered instead which should really improve city driving experience.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That's why I like choosing my own gears.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
That's why I like choosing my own gears.
Aaronnn - Did you receive my direct message?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 AM
Drifting

I have no messages in my inbox...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
I have no messages in my inbox...
Check now.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Reply sent
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
I havent read through all of the first thread, or all of this one. But as an auto enthusiast, I believe you can change the way you view your car to make it become something you love. Through modifications lol. I know it costs money, but if your into modding, I really dont think it matters at all WHAT your driving.

If I were trapped and had to drive a 1998 corolla, I know 100% that I would mod it, especially the things I like least about it. And regardless of what it looks like or what brand it is, it would be my baby, my project. I learn to like what I have, by developing a relationship with my car, so it becomes more than just a machine that transports me from A to B. Certainly this is not applicable to everyone, but just try putting a lipkit, coilovers, wheels etc. on your ride and not being a little bit happier to drive to work everyday.
Like I said, I know it costs money, but the process can be fun. Even small cheap things like LED lights, HID's, interior decorations can help change the way you feel about your car.

Just consider my advice, because I know, that you are stuck with the car. That is your unfortunate reality considering you wish you weren't. So make the best out of it!
The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ttk5
I havent read through all of the first thread, or all of this one. But as an auto enthusiast, I believe you can change the way you view your car to make it become something you love. Through modifications lol. I know it costs money, but if your into modding, I really dont think it matters at all WHAT your driving.

If I were trapped and had to drive a 1998 corolla, I know 100% that I would mod it, especially the things I like least about it. And regardless of what it looks like or what brand it is, it would be my baby, my project. I learn to like what I have, by developing a relationship with my car, so it becomes more than just a machine that transports me from A to B. Certainly this is not applicable to everyone, but just try putting a lipkit, coilovers, wheels etc. on your ride and not being a little bit happier to drive to work everyday.
Like I said, I know it costs money, but the process can be fun. Even small cheap things like LED lights, HID's, interior decorations can help change the way you feel about your car.

Just consider my advice, because I know, that you are stuck with the car. That is your unfortunate reality considering you wish you weren't. So make the best out of it!
POST OF THE DAY
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Drifting

its actually what i'm doing.. I expected the usual Acura quality from this car (after owning 2 TL's and an RSX), but this car definitely doesn't hold up to the fit and finish that Ive become used to from Acura. But after ordering a few suspension parts, interior bits, wheels, etc.. I'm actually really excited about the way this car can turn out for me in the years to come.