Locking the door while warming up engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking the door while warming up engine.

While the engine is on, you can only lock the doors with the physical key. Is there a way to bypass this.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
You could try pulling the inside door handle while simultaneously hitting the power lock button. This might allow you to lock the door without using the key.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by tuna_
While the engine is on, you can only lock the doors with the physical key. Is there a way to bypass this.
Most likely not. This is a feature to prevent people from locking themselves out of their cars.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Colin
You could try pulling the inside door handle while simultaneously hitting the power lock button. This might allow you to lock the door without using the key.
I tried it today, and it didn't work. But thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Most likely not. This is a feature to prevent people from locking themselves out of their cars.
Yeah I get that, but most people lock themselves out because the key is in the ignition. This car uses a button to start the engine and you can enter the car just by putting your hand on the door handle, as long as you have the key fob in your pocket. I think that's pretty much enough to prevent people from locking themselves out. Not letting you lock it with the remote from the outside with the car running doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't warm your car up unattended. Someone can easily bust your windows and drive off with your car. Something to consider.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
I wouldn't warm your car up unattended. Someone can easily bust your windows and drive off with your car. Something to consider.

They did a news deal on this issue 2-3 years ago.. apparenlty police weren't happy about all the stolen car reports.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 AM
10th Gear

Well, I live in Alaska so I have no choice but to warm up my car, especially unattended when it's freezing out. Plus, I don't think the car will go unless the key fob is actually in the car.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, I live in Alaska so I have no choice but to warm up my car, especially unattended when it's freezing out. Plus, I don't think the car will go unless the key fob is actually in the car.
Interesting. I didn't know key fobs worked that way. I thought once the ignition was on, it was on. I would test it just to make sure. The chance of that happening in Alaska is probably pretty low.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
why don't you try getting Acura's remote starter? Yea, it costs a little bit of coin, but its oem and you can maintain a locked car
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Interesting. I didn't know key fobs worked that way. I thought once the ignition was on, it was on. I would test it just to make sure. The chance of that happening in Alaska is probably pretty low.
Nevermind, I was wrong. I tried it today and it still lets you drive off without the key fob. At least if I do get jacked, the guy can deal with the constant beeping. But I did some searching online and someone mentioned that some of the Benz will only allow 10 minutes of driving without the key fob and automatically shutdown. I wonder if Acura has this feature.

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
why don't you try getting Acura's remote starter? Yea, it costs a little bit of coin, but its oem and you can maintain a locked car
I don't really like the OEM remote starter for Acura, because the engine shuts off when you open the door and you have to restart the engine again. So, I was thinking Viper or Compustar, but I'm going to just be patient this year and get it next year when I also get my windows tinted.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a Lojack with notification. That's what I have for peace of mind while parked at work. If the car moves without the FOB, I get a text.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Just curious even with the insanely cold temperatures in Alaska that I'm sure you encounter, here in Jersey we maybe get down to 8 or so at night on occasion. Even with that, i still go out in the morning, start the car and drive away. It takes slightly longer for the temperature to rise but the dent in fuel economy leaving a car running and not moving seems completely illogical. An engine always warms up faster under a light load than sitting in a driveway wasting away fuel. When you add remote start aftermarket, you are going to loose a key, the spare key goes into the remote start so it can use the chip in it to allow the car to start. No idea what happens with it being a keyless start system. Would be interesting to know how they do that.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by briq456
Just curious even with the insanely cold temperatures in Alaska that I'm sure you encounter, here in Jersey we maybe get down to 8 or so at night on occasion. Even with that, i still go out in the morning, start the car and drive away. It takes slightly longer for the temperature to rise but the dent in fuel economy leaving a car running and not moving seems completely illogical. An engine always warms up faster under a light load than sitting in a driveway wasting away fuel. When you add remote start aftermarket, you are going to loose a key, the spare key goes into the remote start so it can use the chip in it to allow the car to start. No idea what happens with it being a keyless start system. Would be interesting to know how they do that.
Well, I'm actually contemplating on not getting a remote starter. I also like the feature of the keyless entry, which will likely be disabled if I use the aftermarket starter alarm. But it still annoys me that the car can only be locked/unlocked manually with the key and not the remote when the engine is on.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Nevermind, I was wrong. I tried it today and it still lets you drive off without the key fob. At least if I do get jacked, the guy can deal with the constant beeping. But I did some searching online and someone mentioned that some of the Benz will only allow 10 minutes of driving without the key fob and automatically shutdown. I wonder if Acura has this feature.
The Acura system will run till you turn it off. From there you'll need they key to restart. This way, if you drove to the airport, left the car to get on a plane and took the key with you, the other person could still drive home to get their key as long as they don't shut off the car.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM
4th Gear

Picked up a used 2007 RL two weeks ago. Had to leave car in a hurry so hopped out with fob in my pocket. My neighbor knocked on the door a few minutes later said your car's still running. Two things, there is a learning curve with keyless and damn that engine is quiet.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This works on the rdx.

Open the window. Step outside and close door. Lock it. Hit auto up button and move arm out of way

(need a spare key though)
The following users liked this post:
DynamicJ32 (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
NO WAY!!! I am going to try this right now!! Ive been dying to figure out how to lock my door when I walk away. lol
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

hahaha I scared the shit out of myself because it wouldnt unlock when i put my hand to the door. hahaha

Definitely works! I kind of want to take my key fob out of its leather cover just to make this process easier. Damn. thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey good job dude - funny workaround haha. Plus 10 points man for actually answering this dudes question! haha good stuff. Some of these issues are definitely area specific - if someone was asking how to do this in the LA area honestly i'd think thats not very smart man. and it really doesn't get that cold out here at all... but Alaska? yeah if someone is trying to carjack you in the middle of Alaskan wilderness its probably gonna turn into armed murde and then carjacking situation ... seriously tho
Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Or maybe I watch too many horror movies? You seen that "The Frozen Ground" movie? its based on real life events... fuck all that... Alaska is scary bro...
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Well turning your car off just to run back inside for your phone... or to buy a coffee... or pull some money out. It will put more wear on the motor turning it off tjen back on rather than leaving it running.
I always look around when I run into the starbucks to see if I should turn my car off...

Only issue is now I return to my running cat with one full hand and now must take the leather cover off my key fob to use the physical key.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

They make silicone key jackets too. I got those. I almost got the leather ones from ebay. Surprisingly they look pretty nice and come in different color leathers. I liked the silicone only because it was something I didn't have to snap open or close. The jacket would kind of slip off, so I put a small amount of hot glue gun to the side of the key fob to make it slightly fatter. It wont stick to the inside of the jacket, its kind of non-stick. Our keys get scratched really easy, it looked like crap pretty quick without some kind of jacket.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

The leather one I got didn't come in different colors. Just black leather red stitching. A couple other users picked them up. All the same color.
It's made exactly for our key fob with button covers and imprints of the button icon. It's really nice. I've got a pic...
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Cant find my own pic. This one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Leat...-/271271617933

Front has embossed icons of the buttons.

Back has an embossed Acura and A symbol.
Fits perfect. I took the bulky metal ring off so its just the clip. Looks great. I swapped to my Driver2 key fob just so Id have a clean piece under the leather.
As well I scratched all the black off the button so it matched the silver in the pin that runs through the bottom. I have plans to take it to a shoe repair place and pay hopefully like 10 bucks to have them restitch it in either white or grey.

Last edited by usdmJON; 05-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happy this helped someone before

Sorry for threadbump
Old 01-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
if you buy it online its not that bad but it has it draw backs. aftermarket is the the way to go. only drawbacks is shutdown when u open the door. they do that bc they have not fully cracked the code to the key to let you do a secure take over. meaning, open the door get in and push the start button. drive away.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Cruisin'

btw with pts cars you dont lose a key. if you want a aftermarket remote start you wont lose your keyless feature. it will work on the aftermarket remote besides power for the remote start everything for the aftermarket remote start works off the data of the car.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TheNewAcura
This works on the rdx.

Open the window. Step outside and close door. Lock it. Hit auto up button and move arm out of way

(need a spare key though)
Hahaha this is brilliant.. I just bought a Dynamic Ilx and I've been trying to find ways to lock it while running.. Even if I run inside a gas station quick, I hate shutting off the car all the time..

I tried the key thing but I don't think it locks no matter which way I turn it.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I had sort of the same problem. If I take my ILX to the local park to run/jog I don't want to run with the large key fob.

My fix was to have a Lock Smith make me a spare key without a fob that just opens the door. I simply leave the regular Acura car key/fob in the center glove box and lock the door with this new key. The new key is small enough I just carry it with me while running.

The trick to all this is having the regular Acura key hidden in the center glove box. If the car's system recognizes the key being close-by, it won't allow you to lock the car. Apparently keeping the key in the center glove box "hides" it well enough so the system won't recognize it.

The same situation will allow you to lock the car while warming it up.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

is this some kind of problem with the base model ilx or older model , my 2016 aspec , locks when the car is started ?the only way to start it remotely is to hit the lock button twice then start it ?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lowther420
is this some kind of problem with the base model ilx or older model , my 2016 aspec , locks when the car is started ?the only way to start it remotely is to hit the lock button twice then start it ?
Not what they are talking about.

They want to start the car and leave it running while they walk away WITH THE CAR DOORS LOCKED.

Try it.