Kinda disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree, I had a hard time not comparing the ILX to my previous cars, the new TL was temping but I never cared for the looks of the car which helped make my decision.
The ILX interior is very similar to the TL in some respects and I think it's a better looking car especially when comparing to the base TL.
I liked the power in the TL but I've been there and done that, time for something a bit more economical and the ILX fit the bill in almost every respect.
With gas being $4.50+ per gallon I can easily live with the ILX...
The lease deal I got made the whole decision a no brainer for me.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Was your lease rate below the advertised rate?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
traded my CSX in, honda finance gave me a returning date of -2% from what the current rate was at the time of 2.9%.

.9% isnt too bad!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Instructor

$2,500 down plus taxes, title and license on a 36 month lease, first payment was included at $270 per month for a 2.0 Premium.
I thought it was a good deal overall...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Drifting

yea, that's right about where the standard lease rate is. I was quoted 310 before taxes with 0 down. I ended up (with taxes at $330 plus dmv and dealer fees)
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
yea, that's right about where the standard lease rate is. I was quoted 310 before taxes with 0 down. I ended up (with taxes at $330 plus dmv and dealer fees)
I left the dealer with car in hand and dealer scratching head. Got a phenomenal deal.

First payment down only ($320). No taxes, dealer fees, dmv fees......39 months, 12k per, 2.4 premium.

$320/per
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Drifting

lol, we're killing the resale value on these cars.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I was all up on this car. I wanted a 6MT in a really bad way. But for an off-the-shelf engine and not much else performance-wise to speak of, why would anyone who wasn't looking for a stylish car want this thing?
Stylish? you are very kind Its a civic with makeup
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nothome17
Must be Honda's plan all along to sell the ILX. Honda designed the civic light crap so they can sell the ILX.

Not sure what they intended with the new styling for Acura TSX and TL designs. Huge fail.. From my guess, they might of been trying to get away from teens modding the cars and trying to lure old retired folks.

I tend to agree. I loved the styling of the 3g acuras. Then Acura turned the TL into a sporty buick for us older guys and now when I retired and broke I can afford a smaller less powerful acura. I guess honda is following the baby boomer's age with there cars.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023

With all due respect. I am not sure of the purpose of your post and many of the other posts in this thread. Actually the purpose is clear but the intention behind it is lost on me...

Why start a thread to bash a car that many people on this discussion board own and love? Why not start it on another section or even another website (their are many over at TOV!). Does calling this car underpowered and cheap validate the reasons you bought your current car? Are you trying to make us actual owners feel bad about the purchase or enlighten us on the errors of our ways? Maybe you are trying to shout out to Acura about their "mistake"?

Assuming you are an Acura enthusiast why not just come with good intentions and congratulate ILX owners. Acknowledge that for societal reasons you don't understand the purchase. Why come on this discussion board to bash a car that you have not driven firsthand and have only experienced through the lenses of others?

Buying a car is a PERSONAL choice. As much as everyone wants to legitimize or devalue that choice with numbers, ultimately, it is still nothing more than a vanity purchase. If buying this car makes you feel a little better about yourself nothing else (HP, lbs of torque, 0-60 time, $) matters
The following 3 users liked this post by rxj27:
4cruizn (09-28-2012), d1sturb3d119 (10-18-2012), spdandpwr (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rxj27
With all due respect. I am not sure of the purpose of your post and many of the other posts in this thread. Actually the purpose is clear but the intention behind it is lost on me...

Why start a thread to bash a car that many people on this discussion board own and love? Why not start it on another section or even another website (their are many over at TOV!). Does calling this car underpowered and cheap validate the reasons you bought your current car? Are you trying to make us actual owners feel bad about the purchase or enlighten us on the errors of our ways? Maybe you are trying to shout out to Acura about their "mistake"?

Assuming you are an Acura enthusiast why not just come with good intentions and congratulate ILX owners. Acknowledge that for societal reasons you don't understand the purchase. Why come on this discussion board to bash a car that you have not driven firsthand and have only experienced through the lenses of others?

Buying a car is a PERSONAL choice. As much as everyone wants to legitimize or devalue that choice with numbers, ultimately, it is still nothing more than a vanity purchase. If buying this car makes you feel a little better about yourself nothing else (HP, lbs of torque, 0-60 time, $) matters

With all due respect sir, this is a "Discussion" board. If you do not like my opinion, move to the next thread. Yes I am an acura enthusiast, I currently own a 09 TL and have owned 2006 tl and 2006 tsx and 2006 rl.
Its not just the ILX that is an issue with me but the direction Acura is going in general. For me the ILX is a continuation of the decline of Acura.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Racer

With all due respect sir, this is a "Discussion" board. If you do not like my opinion, move to the next thread. Yes I am an acura enthusiast, I currently own a 09 TL and have owned 2006 tl and 2006 tsx and 2006 rl.
Its not just the ILX that is an issue with me but the direction Acura is going in general. For me the ILX is a continuation of the decline of Acura.
Sir, you completely missed my point. I do want your opinion and I do want to have a discussion! But your simple observation of the ILX being a "Civic with makeup" does not warrant further discussion. Its pretty offensive to us who own the car and it intimidates those who are actually interested in it.

No doubt you are an Acura enthusiast from the list of cars you have owned! I'm very impressed. This is my first Acura! I hope one day to be privileged enough to own as many as you.

Is your claim that Acura is declining based on any empirical evidence?

Your current Acura was purchased in 2009, that year Acura sold 59,744 vehicles as of July. Now fast forward to 2012. This year Acura sold 85,761 YTD July. These numbers cited from http://www.acura.com/PressReleaseArt...012&id=6788-en

Granted in 2009 the country was still in dire straits financially. But the numbers seem to indicate that Acura is actually increasing sales. In fact, just this year sales numbers are up 22.4% from last July.

I may have completely misinterpreted these numbers and if that is the case please correct me.

Maybe Acura has started to attract a new demographic of customers like me. A change that might not sit with the old demographic like you. But maybe a slight evolution is not wholly bad? Why not welcome the new and understand it rather than shut it out and deride it?

With the new TLX and the NSX upcoming I think Acura will cater to the both of us!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor

The ILX is one of the best looking cars Acura has come out with in some time, it's a much different car than the Civic, this comment shows your lack of intelligence.
What's funny is that you claim to own a 2009 TL which is not only the worst mistake Acura has ever made with what was their best seller but one of the ugliest cars to come out in some time in my opinion.
Enjoy that TL
Old 09-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Racer

I think we should be more civil. This thread is starting to take on a hostile tone.

Moving forward, lets just all agree that arguing solely about the appearance of a car (ILX or TL) is a completely subjective and counterproductive pursuit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
The following users liked this post:
4cruizn (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
The ILX is one of the best looking cars Acura has come out with in some time, it's a much different car than the Civic, this comment shows your lack of intelligence.
What's funny is that you claim to own a 2009 TL which is not only the worst mistake Acura has ever made with what was their best seller but one of the ugliest cars to come out in some time in my opinion.
Enjoy that TL
My last comment. You are right, the 09 TL is/was the ugliest Acura ever. I hated it. Other then the looks, at the time there was nothing better in terms of value. My dealer wanted me to trade my TSX and I told him I don't want a car with a beak. Overtime the the car grew on me, and once I change the grill and rear, appearance package. wheels, I rather like it now. I never had to "FIX"an Acura before. My cemment stands. Acura took a civic, added some parts and made what they call an Acura. IMO, the TSX is/was a much better entry level car. Hope you enjoy your civic...oops Acura.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
dwest1023
"Stylish? you are very kind Its a civic with makeup"

Doesn't look like what you have called a cheap civic imo and I come from a ZDX. But having said that we are all entitlled to our own opinions

Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Drifting

I think we should be more civil. This thread is starting to take on a hostile tone.

Moving forward, lets just all agree that arguing solely about the appearance of a car (ILX or TL) is a completely subjective and counterproductive pursuit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
I had to go in the age/color thread to check how old you were -- you're the most mature 28 year old I know. My brother is 30, lives at home, and still gets wasted every weekend -- oh, and he's late to pay his car payment every month.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Instructor

My last comment. You are right, the 09 TL is/was the ugliest Acura ever. I hated it. Other then the looks, at the time there was nothing better in terms of value. My dealer wanted me to trade my TSX and I told him I don't want a car with a beak. Overtime the the car grew on me, and once I change the grill and rear, appearance package. wheels, I rather like it now. I never had to "FIX"an Acura before. My cemment stands. Acura took a civic, added some parts and made what they call an Acura. IMO, the TSX is/was a much better entry level car. Hope you enjoy your civic...oops Acura.

I guess everyone has their opinion, I'll enjoy my Civic/ILX...
4cruizn (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Racer

Haha, I'll take that as a compliment...
spdandpwr (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
no need to get offended when ILX is compared to Civic...at the end of the day they are both Hondas!! ILX in many ways is very much so a glorified Honda Civic, but it will attract different ppl who are not for that boy-racer look and I get that.....But if you want best bang for buck performance wise civic is the wise choice...You get same motor and not to mention a 6spd tranny with LSD which confuses me why they did not use LSD in the ILX Trans....

well either way as long as you are happy with what you get, it really should not matter what anyone else has to say. You will never have a 100% agreement in the choices you personally make in your life. Enjoy our reliable cars people, no need to bash one another over something pointless and if someone does bash, just brush it off because who are they to judge your decision anyway!!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
I drove an ILX as a loaner a few weeks back. Granted it was a 5AT, not the 2.4 6MT I would have wanted to pick up. It was a nice car, with a decent amount of push for a 4 cylinder. However my 6'3" body didn't feel too right in there. My head kept rubbing against the ceiling in the cabin. Just in general the drivers position was too high. Felt like I had to hunch a bit to get a perfect view out the windshield.

It definitely had some cool stuff in it and all. Had some faults but not a whole lot. One thing I remember is that the shift from 1st to 2nd was always rough. I mean yeah it was a loaner, had about 780 miles on it when I drove it, but still.... Another thing that irked me was the A/C settings. The fan either blows too hard or not hard enough for my liking. I have a 03 CL which is more adjustable with fan settings, so Acura WTF?

Anyways, my overall opinion is the same as others. It's definitely a great car, just not worth the price. Not IMO, at least.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Hmm...I don't seem to have a problem with the fan. I keep pressing the fan up/down button until I get a nice setting. The driving position was a little uncomfortable at first (I'm 6ft 3 as well), but after the miles started clocking in, I became a bit more comfortable. Lol, but I'm very reluctant to have anyone drive this car as there are no memory seats and I don't want to mess up my perfect seating position.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
"Another thing that irked me was the A/C settings. The fan either blows too hard or not hard enough for my liking. I have a 03 CL which is more adjustable with fan settings, so Acura WTF?"

Not too sure what you are getting at, the adjustable speeds on the fan don't seem much different than any of my other vehicles myself. I must be missing something.

Not having memory seats is a pain for sure as it is harder to stay dialed in when you have more than one driver
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by terdonal
Not too sure what you are getting at, the adjustable speeds on the fan don't seem much different than any of my other vehicles myself. I must be missing something.
I felt that there was too much of a difference in power between the first two clicks in the fan speed. The first setting was too little, the second was too much. The thing you must be missing is that this is my opinion, my personal taste, not yours.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw one of these a couple of weeks ago. Not bad looking to me.

By the way, new to this forum but have been lurking here for years.
Member of , name was LongBeachKid562.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I was very excited Acura was finally making a hybrid I would be interested in. Then I looked up the acceleration and dissappointed is an understatement. I might as well get a Prius if I don't want better acceleration. I don't need 300HP, I don't need to tow a boat but I'd like to be able to pull onto the highway without causing an accident.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Why is the ILX always compared to the Civic? Not just here but with most car magazines as well? Why isn't the TL called an Accord with makeup? Everyone know that most car companies have an upscale division and that ALL share plateform. This is common between Toyota/Lexus, Volks/Audi, Nissan/Infiniti....BMW and Mercedes stand alone but do we want to go there?! There is no mistaking an ILX for a Civic....maybe they share some parts but which car company doesn't?! To me, when people by an Acura (or a Lexus), they want to pay the premium for the name and the some of the better quality material (and technology) in them. Some will pay 150$ for a BENCH jacket, and it has nothing spectacular other than just the name attached to it, yet people buy it. I am sure its based on a cheaper style of jacket but people want to buy it because they can, and they WANT. There is an argument to be said for anything out there that a cheaper could be had....right down to generic brand of crackers,,,,I mean why would you buy RITZ crackers when Wal-Mart have their own brand...I mean the RITZ is just a regular cracker souped up right?!

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I don't get why people keep saying that Acura's are souped up Hondas....YES....they are but we all know it and there is no need to make it sound like a bad think! A Lexus is a souped up Toyota, the Audi is a souped up Volks, Infiniti is a souped up Nissan etc....

Going to get get a glass of red wine and let the flaming begin....(rant over)
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
CoquiTSX (10-17-2012), Spirited Driver (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Drifting

I should also note that I was looking for an Si and given the lease rates at the time, the ILX 2.4 was only $10 more than an Si. It includes a back-up camera, sms integration, leather seats, heated seats, power driver seat, and an auto dimming mirror...seems like the car is a much better value than its brethren.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Anyway, sorry for the rant but I don't get why people keep saying that Acura's are souped up Hondas....YES....they are but we all know it and there is no need to make it sound like a bad think!
I should also note that I was looking for an Si and given the lease rates at the time, the ILX 2.4 was only $10 more than an Si. It includes a back-up camera, sms integration, leather seats, heated seats, power driver seat, and an auto dimming mirror...seems like the car is a much better value than its brethren.
I will add that the 2.4 is the engine from the TSX but nobody ever mentions that. It's always "just" a fancy Civic with the Si motor to the collective internet and press. Is this a failing of Honda/Acura to get the 'right' message out?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Acura shouldn't have mentioned how this car was different than the civic. They should've said it's a new car built on the civic platform (just like how every other manufacturer does it). Poor pr in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nothome17
Not sure what they intended with the new styling for Acura TSX and TL designs. Huge fail..
You have to be kidding. The new Acura TSX design is by far the one of the best design Acura has come out with. It is immensely popular.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Drifting

^I agree. Most especially the 2011 refresh of the TSX.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura shouldn't have mentioned how this car was different than the civic. They should've said it's a new car built on the civic platform (just like how every other manufacturer does it). Poor pr in my opinion.
Have they even mentioned Civic in the official releases? I thought they had been using "global small car chassis" for a while now. But as I noted, I don't think they've ever tried to cast a 'downward' glow by drawing attention to the 2.4 as the TSX motor. I can't count how many times I've seen Golf or A3 owners talk about how it's the same motor as the A4 but I don't recall seeing the car rags say that the A4's 2.0T is the Jetta engine.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TerpNation
You have to be kidding. The new Acura TSX design is by far the one of the best design Acura has come out with. It is immensely popular.
While I do not dispute your statement about being a great design (as I bought a 2009 in 2008 when it just came out)....I would encourage you to go to the TSX forum and read the posts around when the 2009 came out. This vehicle was so severely bashed and ridiculed compared to the 1st Gen. The same about the TL but look how most TL bashers are now buying the same model they disliked. This says a lot about the design language of Acura and how their models age like a good red wine......Something that most others cars can't claim.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Search this exact phrase in google: "ilx civic"

Virtually ever article draws comparison points. Someone touted this as a dolled-up civic and the press ran with it. Same thing happened with the CSX.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I agree and that is what I find frustrating. I find many car "expert" should really re-think their credibility and "unbiased'ness" (sorry, I am French). Sometime, a car company can do not right regardless of how hard they try. How come they rarely say that the Buick Verano is a souped up Cruze? I would be really if I was an ILX owner and saw my car being called a souped up Civic. Then again, I have a souped up Accord and a souped up CR-V.....*lol*
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Search this exact phrase in google: "ilx civic"

Virtually ever article draws comparison points. Someone touted this as a dolled-up civic and the press ran with it. Same thing happened with the CSX.
I know that. What I was saying is that Acura themselves have never described it as a Civic, and if they mention the Civic architecture at all it is usually referenced as "global small chassis".

It is the rags that talk about the Civic relationship. However, I was referring to the fact that they don't (apparently) also mention all the other cars that share platforms equally. Or mention that the 2.4 was actually the TSX motor FIRST, long before it came out in the Si.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Racer

What about this train of thought...Maybe Acura was actually banking on convincing many of the Civic "demographic" to stretch up in luxury. An intended marketing strategy? Thus the "finest Civic you can buy" and "Civic in a tuxedo" reviews. Unfortunately, it just so happens to cheapen the ILX especially when compared to the current Civic for those not in the Civic demo...
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

What about this train of thought...Maybe Acura was actually banking on convincing many of the Civic "demographic" to stretch up in luxury. An intended marketing strategy? Thus the "finest Civic you can buy" and "Civic in a tuxedo" reviews. Unfortunately, it just so happens to cheapen the ILX especially when compared to the current Civic for those not in the Civic demo...
That is an interesting suggestion....That being said, if that was the strategy, lets all agree that it backfired big time.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Drifting

I like where your head is at, but, in terms of up-leveling a brand like Acura, making a strategy that begins with taking the most economical Honda model and "dressing it up" is not the way to do it. They want to build an entry-level luxury model, and you don't do that by starting with a civic base or at least by touting it as a dressed-up civic.

Quick Reply: Kinda disappointed