Idea for Exhaust and more mods (Give the ILX a Chance!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
Lightbulb Idea for Exhaust and more mods (Give the ILX a Chance!)

So I posted this before in a thread already but got no reply back and figured the thread was dead. Anyway, Not having a exhaust tip on the ILX is really a turn off for all. Even no car enthusiast. I can understand it for the Hybrid, but for the 2.0 and mainly the 2.4 6mt its a abomination!! --As goes for the new RDX, RLX and TLX. --Understanding its Acura's new design language but not sure if its right.

So, would any of you consider using a Hole saw to make an opening? Once the hole is there you probably should trim it nicely with sand paper and finish it with a clear coat (just on the cut edges) for better protection.

You could then order or find a used Si muffler or just go ahead and get a Flow Master, or even something custom made to fill it in and sound nicely.

I would do it if I had a ILX and was older.

But my biggest gripe (or fear) with the ILX is that its based off the Civic; which is fine. But whats not fine is that the Civic's platform may only have a single exhaust support outlet. Meaning, there is no carve outs for another exhaust on the right side, like there is on the left. I feel like every Acura needs to have Dual exhaust, like it has been for a while now. It also helps tie the rear together nicely. You know. Symmetry!

While its minor and probably could be fixed with some careful routing and few tig welds for supports, its still something to think about.

Time, Skill and Money plays a big roll in this DIY idea. Would love to do it myself or see someone else do it.

If anyone plans on doing it, PM me and start a thread with pictures and updates!!

-Thanks.

And yes, I understand this could effect your warranty and the way the Acura dealer sees you (prob not to differently but if they are the A hole types then yeah..).

Great DIY to help make your ILX stand out even better from the crowed.
That and the TEIN suspension for a lower ride height and 18" rims for a better stance + Hondata's tune for the Si (ILX compatible) and the RV6 Bell mouth Down pipe and a K&N CAI/SR would be sick! Lets not forget the LSD.

Remember, If anyone plans on doing it, PM me and start a thread with pictures and updates!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18
So I posted this before in a thread already but got no reply back and figured the thread was dead. Anyway, Not having a exhaust tip on the ILX is really a turn off for all. Even no car enthusiast. I can understand it for the Hybrid, but for the 2.0 and mainly the 2.4 6mt its a abomination!! --As goes for the new RDX, RLX and TLX. --Understanding its Acura's new design language but not sure if its right.
It would be an interesting project for sure. Personally, I'm pretty pragmatic on exhaust tips. IMO, they're like hairstyles; they come and go and change... We've seen them trend from single, to dual to quad to BIG single, back to dual, back to quad over the course of the last 30 years.
The following users liked this post:
Spirited Driver (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

True, but not everyone looks good with out hair or a hair style (of any) at all. In this case, its completely up to the owner and what they want. I doubt anyone will do this anytime soon. I'm sure thy will be waiting for someone to design a full rear bumper with cut out(s) soon. I don't see anyone doing it other than RonJon at this time though.

Thanks for your input though!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I saw your post and already thought about cutting a whole. The problem is finding a nice looking muffler / tip / exhaust combo. I've found the sound I want with the Injen muffler, but it doesn't provide the look I want. I want a canister muffler with an oval tip like this:

Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timmy18
True, but not everyone looks good with out hair or a hair style (of any) at all. In this case, its completely up to the owner and what they want. I doubt anyone will do this anytime soon. I'm sure thy will be waiting for someone to design a full rear bumper with cut out(s) soon. I don't see anyone doing it other than RonJon at this time though.

Thanks for your input though!
I doubt a bumper with a tip cut-out will come from the aftermarket. Not enough of a market, especially given the associated costs, etc. I do think that if Acura produces a version of this car with an exhaust tip that it might be the way people go.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I just checked and I couldn't find any Oval tipped Injen mufflers, but maybe you could bind your tip slightly using heat and some weight. I don't think there is any tips you can just slap on with that big of an opening. Oval may look a tad better with the ILX's taillights but its something that requires more effort/ skill and time to make. (the carve out)

As for the aftermarket, I'm sure there wont be anything soon at all, Demand probably isnt even on the charts. As for Acura, I doubt they would unless they wanted to make their first ILX customers feel left out. (Why not do it form the start? Why use this design language in the first place??)

I'll post my pictures of ILX's with edited in exhausts.
---------
Here I used 2013 Accord Coupe exhaust tips and re-sized and flattened them slightly. I also edited the taillights and enlarged the rims (done horrible in that part)

Here are some more inspirational idea's.

Tyson Hugie's ILX. Used the Lexus GS's exhaust tips next to it with some editing.

I can make more, and I have more with the 2013 RDX and RLX. If you want to see them, i can post them here or find my old thread.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Personally, I would be interested in just replacing the muffler (without any cutouts) just to get rid of that noise we get on the 2.4 model.

Colin- Do you know the noise I am referring to?

Would getting a different muffler solve that farting noise?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Personally, I would be interested in just replacing the muffler (without any cutouts) just to get rid of that noise we get on the 2.4 model.

Perhaps a intake and removed resonator will help drowned it out, and Slightly, slightly increase fuel economy and maybe power on a cold day? Maybe the RV6 Bell mouth Down pipe will help? I wish Acura would fine tune their exhausts like they 'said' (at least its implied) they did for the 07-08 TL-S. (Lexus LFA sooooo copied it, lol)

I think the newer Honda K24Z series sound pretty generic with their integrated exhaust headers. And no luck for the new K24W EarthDreams engines, they are the same and slightly less refined due to Honda's first year with full DI in America. -- I suppose.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Wow, I really like those tailights!! Also, is that your ilx with the Acura lip kit on it? I would like to see more pictures of how the hybrid spoiler looks against the factory lip kit.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Drifting

The k24z can sound ok with the right muffler, it's just a function of finding the right muffler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__8...eature=related
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Drifting

This sounds ok as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nOq...eature=related
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Wow, I really like those tailights!! Also, is that your ilx with the Acura lip kit on it? I would like to see more pictures of how the hybrid spoiler looks against the factory lip kit.
No, I don't own an ILX. I'm 16 but drive my moms 04 TSX. (I know go ahead and laugh and tell me to leave.. lol)

The ILX is one I found On here. https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/ilx-hybrid-tech-notes-863016/ Scroll to #6.

Thanks for the taillight complement. Tyson liked them too. It think they look less plain and boring. I wonder if its possible to take them apart and 'tint' them white and re-arrange the place for the bulbs... Or maybe Acura will added Exhaust tips and new taillights for a MMC? Probably so.

As for how the K24Z's sound, I got used to them. Quick. But I still miss the slightly audible VTEC cross over found in the K24A2's. (06-08)

Here is a small list of my favorite TSX's with just Magnaflow or other.

And for the 2013 Honda Accord K24W1 EarthDreams, Skip to 8:00.
It Sound good to be Direct injection, but sounds "choppy" or "choked".
I can get used to it, and I'm sure Magna flow will make it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWODEVEV6XQ

Last edited by Timmy18; 11-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver

I'm also interested in knowing if there's a way to quite the car down a little bit. It's really my only (minor) complaint about the car so far.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by pabarile
I'm also interested in knowing if there's a way to quite the car down a little bit. It's really my only (minor) complaint about the car so far.
Yup. Just want to quite the car down. I think its the muffler.

Can anyone chime in?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I'm not going to be much help on this. I think that the exhaust sounds are perfectly suited to this car. I love the little "burble" you get when you fire it up in the morning. I also don't find the tire or road noise to be intrusive at all. My only comment on noise is that rain hitting the windows seems very "tinny" as if the glass itself is to thin. I guess this shows that your interpretation is very subjective and somewhat relative to what you are used to. Coming from a pair of S2000s and RSX, this car is very quiet to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Well, I'm not going to be much help on this. I think that the exhaust sounds are perfectly suited to this car. I love the little "burble" you get when you fire it up in the morning. I also don't find the tire or road noise to be intrusive at all. My only comment on noise is that rain hitting the windows seems very "tinny" as if the glass itself is to thin. I guess this shows that your interpretation is very subjective and somewhat relative to what you are used to. Coming from a pair of S2000s and RSX, this car is very quiet to me.
Yeah, interpretation is everything. I've been driving my wife's 2009 Fit around for a few days, and that car is loud compared to the ILX. I took the ILX out for a short trip last night, and it sounded Lexus quiet after a few trips with the Fit; the road noise was far more subdued, and the engine note of the ILX has a much more pleasing baritone tone compared to the more frenetic sounding Fit (don't get me wrong, the Fit is kind of cool. it's very practical as you can put almost anything in that thing!). In fact, last night, i didn't mind the exhaust tone at all of the ILX. I know this is like comparing apples to bananas, but, I think it illustrates the point.

We'll see if i swing back to my "i wish it was just a hair quieter" feelings

But if anyone could chime in on possibly quieting it down a hair, it would be good to know.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ah I get the same problem with the rain. The middle part of my windshields seems to be having trouble with the rain.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by veeedub
Ah I get the same problem with the rain. The middle part of my windshields seems to be having trouble with the rain.
Maybe we could Dynamat all the glass on the car? That would surely quiet the car down. However, we'd run the risk of being called blind zealot(s)!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe we could Dynamat all the glass on the car? That would surely quiet the car down. However, we'd run the risk of being called blind zealot(s)!
Hahahaha! Oh man..I would surely enjoy the drive.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I love the quad exhaust version. The newish RDX has two mufflers but they are both hidden. What is the point? Is there a performance benefit of a single exhaust that ends in two mufflers?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by musty hustla
I love the quad exhaust version. The newish RDX has two mufflers but they are both hidden. What is the point? Is there a performance benefit of a single exhaust that ends in two mufflers?
I believe it allows them to better balance flow versus noise while managing the packaging. At a certain point, a single muffler gets too large if you are trying to get high airflow without too much noise. This impacts the packaging so splitting the "muffling" duties allows them to place the spare tire between them.
musty hustla (11-30-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Good news, the ILX's muffler has a pre-cut out spot for a larger, straight tip exhaust! And there looks to be mounting brackets/holes and room on the other side for Dual outlets!! Hope the Trailer hitch isn't in the way for you guys to see it.. and I really hope someone takes a-hold and does something with this!! lol. Also, RV6 Bell mouth J pipes are here and Magnaflow mufflers plus Hondata! Modders Mod away! PLEASE!

http://rv6-p.com/civic-si/civicsi-9t...-downpipe.html

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...IVIC&year=2012

http://hondata.com/flashpro_2012si_acura_ilx.html

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
None of the holes are pre-drilled for the second side heat shield.. but I'll have to crawl under there and look..
Old 12-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's not pre-cut for a straight exhaust and the trailer hich goes at an angle to make room for the single-exit.. the otherside would block any exhaust you tried to put on there.

Sorry.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Borla makes a axle back for the civic (non-si) that should work for the 2.0 guys out there.
It's intended to clear the bumper

http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...idProduct=9814
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice find!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

I keep giving this a lot of thought.. and have looked it up all day, the different ways I can cut the bumper or make this work. I remember back to the 2004 Mustang gen community.. a lot of the v6'rs would cut their bumpers to fit GT cut-outs, catbacks ect.. I am going to do it.. next month or so I am ordering all my suspension parts and I'll order the Full Race cat back shortly after.. it seems easy enough. What are you guy's thoughts, should I do a half downward U shape like the Si has or should I cut it like that shield on the back of the bumper is \__/ << that shape upside down.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trentimus
I keep giving this a lot of thought.. and have looked it up all day, the different ways I can cut the bumper or make this work. I remember back to the 2004 Mustang gen community.. a lot of the v6'rs would cut their bumpers to fit GT cut-outs, catbacks ect.. I am going to do it.. next month or so I am ordering all my suspension parts and I'll order the Full Race cat back shortly after.. it seems easy enough. What are you guy's thoughts, should I do a half downward U shape like the Si has or should I cut it like that shield on the back of the bumper is \__/ << that shape upside down.
The Half "U" shape like the Si would work best and look most cohesive with this car since there isn't going to be no Dual exhausts, yet. I'm very glad you are taking this DIY into consideration. I would do it myself if I had an ILX, or for someone if they wanted me to do and had the exhaust ready to install.

Please, please, PLEASE make a thread with pictures and link it to us here!

BTW, if I ever do decide to own an ILX, (most likely after the MMC) I would be doing a custom cat-back system with dual outlets, and make either a fake defuser with plasti dip.

I plan for it to look something like this.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you making all those pictures photoshopped? I'd like to see a PMM ILX with a single exit and like you have there the curved lower end of the bumper black.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Are you making all those pictures photoshopped? I'd like to see a PMM ILX with a single exit and like you have there the curved lower end of the bumper black.
Yes, I do. I use Gimp2.6, free software, easy to use, just about as powerful as PS but with less features. (You can get Add-on's for free).

I'll do a single exit for you, what angle do you want the car to be in, and if you could tell me how big your exhaust diameter is going to be. Any other edits you would like done to the ILX while I'm at it? I should be done in about 30 minutes, if not some time tonight the picture will be posted.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Either a straight from the back or something similar to the silver one you just posted. Just with the read exit passenger side > 4" rolled tip, and how you have that lower curve black.. That's intriguing so I'd like to see that. If you would
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Finished, unless you say otherwise.

Almost made it in 30 minutes! lol. Looking for the right tip was the hardest part of it all.

I feel like it sticks out a tad bit too far and that the color is a tad off. Sorry.

Got the tip from this picture through a Google search.
Trentimus (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

That is exactly what I wanted to see! Do you mind posting it without the black lower trim?? I hate to bug you with it but you do things I cannot!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Sure! I had a feeling you would want to see a few changes so I saved a copy of the file as a .xcf so I can go back and edit it with the layers and all. All I had to do is remove a layer for you!

Doesn't look as right in pictures, I'm sure it will ALL look alot better once done. I prefer the plasti dip deffuser look though.

Trentimus (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

I really detest the way plastidip looks up close.. But I like the concept of using that lower piece to accent the car. I am talking to my cousin to see what my options are tomorrow.. Maybe even a harder material like truck bed liner on just that piece, or even vinyl. Thanks for posting that up though.. It really helped me decide they I definitely want to do the cut out.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I really detest the way plastidip looks up close.. But I like the concept of using that lower piece to accent the car. I am talking to my cousin to see what my options are tomorrow.. Maybe even a harder material like truck bed liner on just that piece, or even vinyl. Thanks for posting that up though.. It really helped me decide they I definitely want to do the cut out.
What about something like this?
http://www.lamin-x.com/48-x-1-Roll-o...-p/481-bcf.htm

My neighbor used something like it for the hood of her Scion (no comment on that, haha)
I'm sure it would be real easy to cut and go on. Not sure if they make something in just a flat black vs the carbon fiber look. Though I'm sure u wouldn't notice that kind of detail using it on a lower panel anyway.

I have the 2.0 so I'm going to take a look at that exhaust that spdandpwr posted
Trentimus (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flyers257
What about something like this?
http://www.lamin-x.com/48-x-1-Roll-o...-p/481-bcf.htm

My neighbor used something like it for the hood of her Scion (no comment on that, haha)
I'm sure it would be real easy to cut and go on. Not sure if they make something in just a flat black vs the carbon fiber look. Though I'm sure u wouldn't notice that kind of detail using it on a lower panel anyway.

I have the 2.0 so I'm going to take a look at that exhaust that spdandpwr posted
That might work, I am on my phone right now so I can't really browse that place to find a solid black one but I'll look at them, thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can find something that looks similar to what Cobras and Aero kit TSX do.[IMG]i.ebayimg.com/t/2003-2004-Mustang-Cobra-Rear-Bumper-cover-99-04-SVT-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16N,!yEE9s5jE,4JBQu8m2IoN!~~60_35.JPG[/IMG]
Idea for Exhaust and more mods (Give the ILX a Chance!)-0crhd.jpg
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I did a search for 3m black vinyl and found this Amazon

Look at the second customer picture on amazon. Someone used it for the same application on a 2012 Fit. Looks nice.

Here's another I found: stickercity
About $20 for a 1' length. With the black on the bottom with a nice border and a nice exhaust tip, it would look awesome.

Also, I noticed that the ilx doesn't have a chrome strip above the license plate like the tsx has running between the tails. I know something like that would be simple to add, but I'm not sure if there's room with the obnoxiously huge acura emblem. It may be too busy with the spoiler added. I'll have to try a photoshop of that
Trentimus (03-16-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Yea, I'm just going to cut the bumper. Whoever gets the car after me will have a free catback, lol.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Yea, I'm just going to cut the bumper. Whoever gets the car after me will have a free catback, lol.
After touching base with my Cousin he was like.. Yeah you could get this and this type of fiberglassing done ect.. And I asked him cant I just dremel it!? He was like.. I figured it would come to that lol.. He suggested putting a rubber like grommet around the edge to make it stand out a bit more and give it a more factory look without doing any kind of fiberglassing or painting. I looked at a few BMW sites where they did cut outs and it wont look as good as a factory bumper but it will still look pretty sharp and allow us to put the exhaust out back. I looked long and hard at the rear bumper. The curve of the rear bumper goes down to the bottom then flares out so I don't think the idea to put a piece to black it out would look right up close. I thought the curve went to the bottom so that idea is out for me

Quick Reply: Idea for Exhaust and more mods (Give the ILX a Chance!)