Going to buy my first ACURA

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to buy my first ACURA

Hi folks,

As you can see, I'm new to the forum and going with the ILX as my first ever ACURA. I'm going to a dealership this coming Saturday to test drive the vehicle and hopefully be able to close out the deal. Currently, these are the offers i have received so far from my sale guy:

1. 2016 Acura ILX with AcuraWatch package at $23,790 with 1,400 miles on it
2. 2016 Acura ILX with the Tech package at $27,890 has 20 miles - basically brand new.

What are your opinions on the above offers. I have not negotiate the price yet. Wanting to know how much i should be paying before going in to the dealership this saturday. Also, this dealership is an hour and half away from where i live. I can't find anything close to the above offers. Any comments would be much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
You need to read this

https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...turity-938109/

Read and pay close attention. Don't go there without being pre approved. Don't go there without internet pricing. Don't stay there. LEAVE. Go eat. Show lots of interest, be nice, but leave. You gotta show that you are money/a solid deal walking away. If you are rude or combative then they don't want to deal with you, or they'll have incentive to fuck you over. It's like messing with a waiter, or your barber or something. You just don't do it. You'll get shitty service.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
As much as I hate to say this, I would really consider the 2016 Civic instead at this point.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:01 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the comments guys.
Dyna- Why do you say that? I took a look at the Civic and i still like the look of the ILX better.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Agreed the ILX does look better but is it really worth the massive price difference for very similar equipment?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Guessing the 1st one was a demo?

Hour and a half away... Internet pricing?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM
6th Gear

According to the carfax history and the sale guy- it was a return leased vehicle, they sell it as CPO now. I looked at their website and get in contact since their price is the best we can find online. Is it good or bad going that far to look at the car? Will the dealer know that i'm super intersted since i made the trip and won't go down on the price? Anyone one has any experience with this situation?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
$28,000 for an ILX...why not consider a 2014-15 Accord in Sport or even Touring guise with less than 15k on the clock for that money? Not to question your taste of course, if your heart is set on an ILX then that is what you should get.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Acurer
According to the carfax history and the sale guy- it was a return leased vehicle, they sell it as CPO now. I looked at their website and get in contact since their price is the best we can find online. Is it good or bad going that far to look at the car? Will the dealer know that i'm super intersted since i made the trip and won't go down on the price? Anyone one has any experience with this situation?
Leased return that quick. Hmmm... It's not bad that you're going that far for a car. Now would you tell them you're coming an hour and a half away.... IDK it could work in your advantage but at the same time it could be a disadvantage.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RedRyder
$28,000 for an ILX...why not consider a 2014-15 Accord in Sport or even Touring guise with less than 15k on the clock for that money? Not to question your taste of course, if your heart is set on an ILX then that is what you should get.
You can probably get a 14-15 Touring for around 28k maybe even a little less.

Or you can go 16' Sport for 25k. (granted the sport doesn't have moonroof, leather, Acura emblems (since seems like people are all about the brand) but the sport is a phenomenal car.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:10 PM
6th Gear

i did tell the sale guy that i'm coming that far to look at the vehicle. Thanks for other suggestions but the wife has set her mind on this beauty. I might be able to use the long distance to my advantage to cut a deal since i already pre approved for a loan and have the check ready. Do you guys think the above prices are fair for the car? I read other posts in the forum, seems like most folk are either lease or bought it brand new. haven't seen a CPO yet.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Team Owner

i did tell the sale guy that i'm coming that far to look at the vehicle. Thanks for other suggestions but the wife has set her mind on this beauty. I might be able to use the long distance to my advantage to cut a deal since i already pre approved for a loan and have the check ready. Do you guys think the above prices are fair for the car? I read other posts in the forum, seems like most folk are either lease or bought it brand new. haven't seen a CPO yet.

That's why I said it can go either way. Usually driving far away is a good thing. Sometimes it's not. IDK, but how much are new ILX's going for with the same features?

Have you looked it up on Truecar yet?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the thing with used cars is; there will be always a better deal.

also, Most of the times, CPO's are jokes. they say that its been checked out but many find that its not the case. it's a marketing term that lexus made up in the 90's to get people in their "Certified" cars

your job will be to negotiate with them. remember, they negotiate for a living. MOST of the times, they win. However, since you have pre-approved financing, you'll have a leg up.
it'll be your job to convince the salesman to drop the price
happy hunting!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
some tips to help you convince him to drop price.

tell him or her; what price you want to leave with the car. if he doesnt give it to you, walk out.

you can also take the car for an extended test drive over the weekend. On monday, when signing, say...I changed my mind.
salesman will then ask what changed?
tell him or her the price is still too high

the longer you drag out the process, the better shape you'll be in. and that's HIS job too. the longer he stays and has you, the more he wins.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:25 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Flipster23
That's why I said it can go either way. Usually driving far away is a good thing. Sometimes it's not. IDK, but how much are new ILX's going for with the same features?

Have you looked it up on Truecar yet?
So the New 16 ILX AcuraWatch package is going for around 30k in my area, ILX with the technology plus package is around 33.5K. Can't look up prices for used ones yet since there aren't that many in the market.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:26 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace

tell him or her; what price you want to leave with the car. if he doesnt give it to you, walk out.

you can also take the car for an extended test drive over the weekend. On monday, when signing, say...I changed my mind.

the longer you drag out the process, the better shape you'll be in. and that's HIS job too. the longer he stays and has you, the more he wins.
these are some very good tips. Thanks you!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace

Good advice J....

I'll have to use that tactic in a couple of months. I'll go get pre-approved before hand too.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Instructor

I have a 2016 ILX Premium A spec leasing it, this is my third month you can have it if you want. i have 2500 miles on it so far average mpg its 27-29 depends how you drive it. Check my photo gallery for pictures. if you ask me why i don't like it, its just because i came from BMW and i regret my decision.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

At least the maintenance cost are cheaper.

But I would have never went from BMW to an ILX. Also, good thing you're leasing it so you can give it back when the time comes. One good thing about leasing.
The following users liked this post:
haidarh (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Instructor

The only reason i moved to ACURA is reliability and i tired of maintenance $$$. Then consumer reports comes out to rank Acura #18 in reliability, this makes it even worse. I Still have 2007 335i in front my door with 113k miles, trust me the 07 BMW handles better than 2016 Acura
Old 11-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Yes, Acura has went down hill. I think most will agree even if they own a Acura.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Instructor

To be honest, i think older Acura are better than newer, my wife got brand new 2011 MDX in Nov of 2010. since I'm BMW fan went and compared 2011 X5 to MDX 2011 from horse power to driving to you name it. MDX did pretty good for the price difference because an X5 with similar options as Tech/Enter MDX was upper 60k while MDX was 45k and knock on wood the MDX has 60k miles now, Oil, Tires and brake pads.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Team Owner

Acura used to be good.

For me 08 seems to be the last year they put decent vehicles out. Look wise. 4G TL had no issues except for the exterior.
The following users liked this post:
haidarh (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RedRyder
MSRP on Honda Accord Sport is closer to $26,000. There are dealers in my area selling them with a markup at $27,500. If you want to be the first kid on the block with the new toy, you are gonna pay. they aren't going to budge on those prices (much, if at all). They will budge on the 2015's that are still taking up space on the lot.

Touring MSRP is almost $35k. And HELL NO they don't discount those. The easiest models to haggle with on price are cars that are in the lower trim. Lower the trim, the more wiggle room. The higher the trim, the less they sell of those in volume, the less the dealer orders, the less exist, the more you really want it, the more you will pay. Touring pretty much goes head to head with TLX.

Only time you'd get one that cheap is when they do a model change and its been sitting on the lot forever.

I would suggest Honda Accord Sport over this version of ILX for most people. I don't now specifically what you are looking for in a car tho.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
MSRP on Honda Accord Sport is closer to $26,000. There are dealers in my area selling them with a markup at $27,500. If you want to be the first kid on the block with the new toy, you are gonna pay. they aren't going to budge on those prices (much, if at all). They will budge on the 2015's that are still taking up space on the lot.

Touring MSRP is almost $35k. And HELL NO they don't discount those. The easiest models to haggle with on price are cars that are in the lower trim. Lower the trim, the more wiggle room. The higher the trim, the less they sell of those in volume, the less the dealer orders, the less exist, the more you really want it, the more you will pay. Touring pretty much goes head to head with TLX.

Only time you'd get one that cheap is when they do a model change and its been sitting on the lot forever.

I would suggest Honda Accord Sport over this version of ILX for most people. I don't now specifically what you are looking for in a car tho.
Totally agree, got the premium tech same price I would get a sport accord. Slower but better
Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Acurer....I can understand your wife's interest in the ILX. The MMC have brought some cosmetic improvements and overall, for teh price, it is still a great little car. The g/f drives a 2014 (2.0L) and she loves it....sure, it can be loud at times based on the quality but still fun.

Now personally, if you have a great lease rate, that allows you to drive the car and decide whether it is one you want to keep long term. I am aware that thhings are different in the US and Canada but for us, the lease rate was almost 0% so that gives us an incentive to drive for cheap and then decide if we want to keep long term. Realistically, as much as we like it, chances are will not keep it because we like to flip cars often and drive something different but we had such a great deal on this, we are paying 18$ more a month than a mid level trim Civic at the time so it was a no brainer.

The 2016 Civic appears to be a great car which is boding well for the 2nd Gen ILX so to me, I would be more inclined to lease this ILX and see what the 2nd Gen ILX will look like. Yes, the reliability or problems with Acura has gone up which is disapointing but keep things in perspective. They radically changed things over the few years (complex tranny etc, dual touch screens, nanny devices) all that are more prone to glitches so these issues will not leave you stranded but are more annoyances than anything else. I wished Acura could return back to their plethora of buttons like the 4G TL, and they may. Ford did and since Acura is comiong back with the visible exhaust tips, they may revert to some more trusted technology like hard buttons. There has been some changes at the helm of Acura and maybe there is hope as well.

So for me, all this to say lease the brand new one, enjoy and post pictures
Old 11-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Team Owner

Touring does not go head to head with the TLX....

Also, he never said brand new Accord. Your in Southern Cali so it's more expensive out there. But I could go to the dealer right now and get a 2016 Sport for 25k.. I can get a used 14 sport for 19-20k.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh Ok yea you're right about most of that. 14 Sport for $19-20k? If it's low miles that's a good deal. You can get a 2016 Accord Sport out here too for $25k with internet pricing, badass credit, pre-approval and haggling.

No seriously tho, TLX Vs Honda Accord Touring, it goes head to head. It would just depend on preferences, and trim level. The Touring would go head to head against the lower trims.

2016 Touring has really nice 19 inch wheels, Honda Lane Watch Technology (the camera in the side view mirror), and a V6. That beats out lower trim 4 cylinder TLX's for some people.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Instructor

Oh Ok yea you're right about most of that. 14 Sport for $19-20k? If it's low miles that's a good deal. You can get a 2016 Accord Sport out here too for $25k with internet pricing, badass credit, pre-approval and haggling.

No seriously tho, TLX Vs Honda Accord Touring, it goes head to head. It would just depend on preferences, and trim level. The Touring would go head to head against the lower trims.

2016 Touring has really nice 19 inch wheels, Honda Lane Watch Technology (the camera in the side view mirror), and a V6. That beats out lower trim 4 cylinder TLX's for some people.

I think we missing the point here,
Isnt acura luxury of Honda ?and Lexus luxury of Toyota and infinity luxury of Nissan ?
As some said Honda has more tech than acura, and in some cases more space or leg room, while u get standard luxury technology.
Under the hood they share a lot of stuff.
Then why we paying extra $$ for the luxury brand ?
Well my brother got 2014 hybrid civic, fully loaded for 25k.
I got the ilx 2016 premium a spec for 30k. Under 2200 miles twice to the dealer while my brother has 60k, yeah he went to the dealer to change fluids.
OK I have more power but his gas mileage is better.
Luxury wise he has everything I do, and more migation breaking while mine doesn't have it .
I'm thinking car marketing played well and succeeded on labeling their brands for us to pay extra.