2013 2.0 Tech ILX nearing lease maturity...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
2013 2.0 Tech ILX nearing lease maturity...

Hey all.

My ILX lease to buy is nearing maturity. Just got an email from acura lease management. They want to pay my last few months and in turn put me into a newer Acura.

Current plans are still to buy out the ilx. Buy obviously im weighing every option.

Ill post more specifics as i talk with the lease department reps. Should i keep it and mod it? Should i lease a new tlx or maybe finance now that i have good established credit? Mod a tlx? Hmmmmm... Maybe trade it in for a 3G? Haha
Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Up to you. 3 main choices,

1)Turn it in, walk away from the ILX, after you de-mod and keep the parts to sell off. Since the purpose of you initially leasing (in your specific case) was to establish car payment history, then mission accomplished. Also take into account if you need to pay for any "damage" or miles.

2) Keep the car, with A PRE-APPROVED LOAN from your bank OR CREDIT UNION (WINK WINK). You need to figure out NOW what the final purchase price will be, (see what you owe now, and then what that number will be minus whatever payments). Thats what it should be, but I'm not 100% sure on what you signed. You need to get ahead of the curveball, so good start. Less room to play with this option since you were already leasing this car. If it's a price you're willing to pay, and you get a nice low APR, then do it. DO NOT focus on monthly payment. Focus on TOTAL PRICE OF CAR, and APR. DO NOT get any extra SHIT. Not talking down to you, just making it clear for people.

3)TLX - (after walking away from ILX) GET INTERNET PRICING (Edmund's, Truecar, Costco, Credit Unions) DO NOT BUY WITHOUT THIS. GET PREAPPROVED - DO NOT BUY WITHOUT THIS. I've seen people save literally anywhere from $1000-7500 with internet pricing alone. IF you walk in and try to get approved, then they will agree to that pricing and then fuck you on APR to make up the difference.

Be prepared to go to at least 2-3 dealers. WALK AWAY from the first offers. Be prepared to be there for a few HOURS each time. BIG DEAL. is saving $5000, worth 2-3 days of your life? This is what I tell people. Keep in mind that you'll be paying for probably 5 years. Be sure to make them compete against each other. NO EXTRA SHIT. NOTHING. Buy it after, will be better quality and cheaper. If they throw it in for free, fine. Another reason I don't recommend adding ANYTHING to your payment. Now its an obligation. Imagine you could have a $500 payment (simple numbers), and then you add all this shit ( great ride is pimped) now your payment is $700. You go through some rough shit, you can't make that $700 dollar payment. NOW, your credit is getting fucked, and NOW your shit get repo'd. FUCK NO.

Low Payment? Going through some shit? "Oh well, I guess I'll just put off tinting the windows and make my car payment" Simple. DO NOT put yourself in a situation where you have a HIGHER payment, THIS is where you focus on monthly payment, NOT GETTING HIGHER then what you're pre-approved for. 2 other huge advantages of pre-approval. Cheap ass GAP insurance (this is the only "extra" i actually must encourage and insist upon) I payed $300 for mine. Dealers basically have no set price for anything, they just try to get WHATEVER they can from you. I usually see it go for $1000, seen as high as $2500. Pre-approval usually negates (0/ZERO) a down payment. Dealer will ALWAYS want as much as they can get for a down.

Print out a Pre-approval Price from whatever dealer, take that to the bank/credit union, get Preapproved, BEFORE you EVER, EVER, EVER walk into the dealer. Why? THAT'S 100% MONEY ON THE TABLE. They are WAAAAY less likely to bullshit you and let you walk away. it's a done deal. Be prepared to deal with closers and managers trying to get you to buy shit EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. EVERYONE you deal with is on commission, is a salesman, It doesn't matter if their job title is manager, finance, whatever. They want a piece. They are also more and more skilled at convincing you at every step of the way. Don't assume you are "smarter" then that. DO NOT get stupid. Remain polite, just keep saying NO. Don't give reasons why just say YOU DON't WANT IT, THAT'S IT. They are ALL trained to overcome objections, don't play that game at all. You go through this SHIT, once every few years at most, they do it 3-5 times a day, EVERY day for the last X amount of years.

I don't like being a car salesman, but it was worth doing it to learn the game.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 10-30-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I bought my ILX for $23,000 OUT THE DOOR. Blue Book at the time was $28,500. NO DOWN at all. 1.54% APR. I was pre-approved by my credit union.

To be honest, I would recommend looking at TLX pricing NOW.

One last thing. Think about this. These cars basically are built to run perfect (yeah there's always gonna be one or 2 lemons) for AT LEAST 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. If not, then they would NEVER even bother offering extended warranties. They would lose money. Think about it. Most shit that goes wrong would go wrong BEFORE the normal warranty goes anyway. Then worst case, lets say something happens. For the price of the warranty, (a couple or a few grand) you could just pay that WHEN IT DOES go wrong.

Reason I bring that up, you are 27. I don't know you personally, but are you sure you will still want the ILX or the TLX in 3 years? 5 years? More years? To get your "money's worth" (best deal, moneywise) for most people, they recommend keeping a BRAND NEW car for at least 10 years. Do you plan on getting into a higher paying career? Getting married? Having kids? Within those 3, 5 or 10 years? Then let that ALSO affect your purchase choice.

I got my ILX because I just wanted a nice basic affordable luxury car that was stick shift, cheap to upkeep, and relayed that I was somewhat mature (even if I'm really not always), yet still fun. Fucked up, but girls, people, judge on your car, judge in general at face value. Facts of life. I'm single, date a lot, and I pull different types of girls. Most girls don't know shit about cars. They see Acura, they see luxury car, = nice car, = mature well to do guy. Not saying it's a chick magnet, I'm just saying it helps me more then a raced out SI would (at my age, if i was 16-25 probably helps a lot). And I want to keep this car for 10 years, probably till it doesn't run anymore. I'll get nicer car when I can, I'm not getting married (HELL NO), or having kids (HELL NO). The ILX will just be the fun older backup car.

TLX will probably help more with da bitches brah. Also bigger car. More room to fuck in the back seat. Harder to park. But way more comfortable. Costlier (not really) to upkeep and maintain, to insure. MOAR POWA. Stuff to think about.

Although you have attachment now to your ILX, You really are asking whether you should buy a used ILX, or a brand new TLX. Do you want a new car or a used car? If you were presented with the purchase price of the ILX, and had never seen it before the day you started shopping, would you purchase it?

i know this is a long ass post, my bad.

Would not recommend leasing TLX or any car, unless 1) ESTABLISHING CREDIT, 2)You plan on buying the car once you are done leasing and have established credit. DISAGREE? COME AT ME BRAH, LET ME SCHOOL YOU UP WHY LEASE IS NOT A GOOD DEAL FOR MOST PEOPLE. (specifically MONEYWISE, there are other reasons to lease, but they WILL NOT save you money).

Last edited by aomechmarine; 10-30-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
I say keep it, Jon. You've spent a lot of time and money getting that car set up just the way you want it.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
what the heck is your end goal?
to keep trading cars?

or to keep a car and build your wealth?

credit is great, but you should be using it as a tool to help you gain wealth, NOT switching out cars every 2-3 years.

just my
Old 10-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
what the heck is your end goal?
to keep trading cars?

or to keep a car and build your wealth?

credit is great, but you should be using it as a tool to help you gain wealth, NOT switching out cars every 2-3 years.

just my

Maybe you didnt see where i said:

Current plans are still to buy out the ilx. But obviously im weighing every option.

The goal when i leased the car was to buy it. That is still the goal but i would be a fool to not weigh my options. Also many here know more about lease agreements and financing so figured id ask.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:26 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Maybe you didnt see where i said:

Current plans are still to buy out the ilx. But obviously im weighing every option.

The goal when i leased the car was to buy it. That is still the goal but i would be a fool to not weigh my options. Also many here know more about lease agreements and financing so figured id ask.
You would be a fool to take them up on their offer to pay off your last few months of the lease so they can get you into a new Acura. Do you think the dealer is making this offer because they care about you? They're doing this because it's going to be profitable for them. This is the opposite of building wealth. Or are you already wealthy?

So this brings us back to the question justnspace asked you: "what the heck is your end goal? to keep trading cars? or to keep a car and build your wealth?"

If you're looking to keep up with the Jones', then take them up on their offer.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AZuser
You would be a fool to take them up on their offer to pay off your last few months of the lease so they can get you into a new Acura. Do you think the dealer is making this offer because they care about you? They're doing this because it's going to be profitable for them. This is the opposite of building wealth. Or are you already wealthy?

So this brings us back to the question justnspace asked you: "what the heck is your end goal? to keep trading cars? or to keep a car and build your wealth?"

Damn.
Look man. I figure there are morr than 2 options. Im just putting it out there in hopes that those who are knowledgeable may chime in and throw some tips my way.

I know a lot of people simply dislike the ilx but like the tlx. Ive heard from many people that the ilx is a waste of money in their opinion. Maybe these people think trading up to a tlx is worth it the money and extra couple years of payments.

Like i said im just testing waters and seeing ehat people think.

I know if i went out tomorrow and bought the ilx someone somewhere would tell me thats a dumb move.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:13 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I know a lot of people simply dislike the ilx but like the tlx. Ive heard from many people that the ilx is a waste of money in their opinion. Maybe these people think trading up to a tlx is worth it the money and extra couple years of payments.
And there are also a lot of people who dislike the TLX and think the TLX is a waste of money.

In the end, does it really matter what these people think about the ILX (or the TLX)? You should be asking yourself what you think about the ILX. If you leased the ILX and then made the conscious decision to buy it at lease end, then I would imagine you like the car. Otherwise the decision to buy never would have surfaced, right?

Now, if you're not happy with the ILX or it has mechanical problems, then that's a different story.

I know if i went out tomorrow and bought the ilx someone somewhere would tell me thats a dumb move.
And if you went out tomorrow and bought the TLX, someone somewhere would tell you that that was a dumb move. Same thing if you went out and bought a Poopdick McFartington. Doesn't seem like you've taken the opinion of these people into consideration.

I'm having a hard time trying to understand why the opinion of these people even matter. It's almost like you're trying to satisfy them. Again, ask yourself how you feel about the ILX. Is the TLX a better car than the ILX? Yes. Did you know there's a car out there better than the TLX? And did you know there's a car out there better than that one? When does it end?

Look man. I figure there are morr than 2 options. Im just putting it out there in hopes that those who are knowledgeable may chime in and throw some tips my way.

Like i said im just testing waters and seeing ehat people think.
Then you may want to provide more info about your life, financial situation, what your goals are, etc. because without knowing those things, there's no way to really help you make an informed decision.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
i know this is a long ass post, my bad.

Would not recommend leasing TLX or any car, unless 1) ESTABLISHING CREDIT, 2)You plan on buying the car once you are done leasing and have established credit. DISAGREE? COME AT ME BRAH, LET ME SCHOOL YOU UP WHY LEASE IS NOT A GOOD DEAL FOR MOST PEOPLE. (specifically MONEYWISE, there are other reasons to lease, but they WILL NOT save you money).
No worries dude. This was what I was asking for. Just some helpful info from people who know this stuff. Leasing my ILX was my first new car purchase and all of it was just new to me.

I want to be a bit more knowledgeable when I go in to talk about purchasing the ILX or even trading up to a TLX.

Thanks for taking the time man.

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I say keep it, Jon. You've spent a lot of time and money getting that car set up just the way you want it.
I can agree to that. It wouldnt take too long to get a TLX where I want it. And man oh man would the extra power be fun. All in all I think the TLX is a great car. Just not sure if I want to go through another lease. But it may be worth it!

Then you may want to provide more info about your life, financial situation, what your goals are, etc. because without knowing those things, there's no way to really help you make an informed decision.
Look dude. Im just trying to hear what people think before I make a decision. I think the TLX is a great car. I also love my ILX. Would I be happy buying the ILX? Sure. Would I be happy in a TLX? More power so hell yeah. But is starting a new lease worth it? Im not sure. Would financing a TLX after the ILX lease make sense? I dont really know. Just trying to figure this shit out man.

If all you are going to do a regurgitate what Justin said and assume I plan on jumping from car to car every 2 years than by all means dude. Make an ass out of you and me. But those arent my intentions. I can safetly say if I jumped up to a TLX thats the car id buy.

My goal was to own a sweet ILX. This was before the TLX was a thing. Now I could possibly trade up to a TLX which is even sweeter than the ILX but MAY NOT be worth the money. If I could get into a TLX with monthly payments less than 400 for the same 36 month agreement than why the hell not? 3 extra years of lease for a nicer car? Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you know reasons why it wouldnt be. I dont know.

Im not asking anyone to make up my mind for me. Im trying to get all the info I can.

Last edited by usdmJON; 11-01-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
it's all up to the buyer, it's what You want......you dictate the terms, if they can't match it then stand firm

you either like the ILX or you don't, if you don't then I would say move on and get something that your happy with
Old 11-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all.

My ILX lease to buy is nearing maturity. Just got an email from acura lease management. They want to pay my last few months and in turn put me into a newer Acura.

Current plans are still to buy out the ilx. Buy obviously im weighing every option.

Ill post more specifics as i talk with the lease department reps. Should i keep it and mod it? Should i lease a new tlx or maybe finance now that i have good established credit? Mod a tlx? Hmmmmm... Maybe trade it in for a 3G? Haha
Dump it! I thought the 2016 was bad, but your style looks like the official pace car for the special olympics.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gtdrake
Dump it! I thought the 2016 was bad, but your style looks like the official pace car for the special olympics.
Bro youve got some issues if that satisfied you.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:53 PM

jon, the fact that you are even weighing turning it in, shows that it might be your end goal, we dont know.

I'm asking this specific question to get to know you better.
What is your end goal?

the answer to this question will then help you and your credit. (I know that you're just starting out, as you stated in this thread)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 PM

Azuser and I are not against you, we just want to know your true intentions, so then we can help advise you....since that was the whole premise of this thread, advice.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 PM

my advice echos Azusers. if you want to play keeping up with the Jones', trade away!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

jon, the fact that you are even weighing turning it in, shows that it might be your end goal, we dont know.

I'm asking this specific question to get to know you better.
What is your end goal?

the answer to this question will then help you and your credit. (I know that you're just starting out, as you stated in this thread)
Ive said my goal already. To own a sweet car. I needed to establish credit with what i thought was a sweet car. I still think it is. But maybe there is a sweeter car that would make sense to trade up to.

I dont understand how that doesnt make sense so telling me "its up to you" is just singing to the choir. I know its up to me. Im just wanting to hear peoples thoughs on purchasing the ilx as well helpful info on purchasing or trading depending on which path i take.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

So far the only helpful posts have been aomech and cruzin. For providing info and a general opinion. Thats all im looking for.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Biggest reason I see people buying cars, just want to "keep up with the Jones's" or like trading cars every few years. DUMB (financially) Several reasons. I know alot of people don't want to hang on to the same car for 10 years, but that's generally your best bet (again, for saving cash/ less bleeding out money). Also EVEN BETTER if you start off with a 1-3 year old car that was lightly used, low miles, certified pre-owned, in great condition. However that requires A LOT more footwork and research, and harder to find the specific model, color, trim, miles etc.

A few reasons why this is true. If you get the car new at a great price, and or used at a great price, then you won't really suffer from a big initial depreciation hit (if kept for 10 years). Just a gradual depreciation. You WILL get a great resale value which you can use as a down payment. (depending on brand, but that's why you stick with Honda and other solid brands). One example? 2005 RSX's and IS300's in good condition and low miles around here can go for $5000-10k easy. If you try to sell your car too new, you will basically HAVE to take the hit at the dealer. NO ONE is going to buy your car cash for 20k, if they have that much cash, they don't want your car. I saw the dealer offer a guy $500 for his Accord. He literally LAUGHED, left, sold it for $7500, and then came back.

If you buy your car at 5 years with very low interest, you will have no payments for 5 years after. Examples why lease sucks ass (financially). You lease the TLX. At the end of the TLX lease, you basically could have owned the ILX already (your specific case). So if you kept if for around 10 years, you'd be payment free in a few years, OR barely starting to pay for a used TLX in a few years.

These cars are designed to for 100k EASY no problems look at 4cruzin! he has 150K miles already! That's what most people MAY have at the end of 10 years! I see business people who drive for work with 300k on their 10 year old cars. One dude had a 2007 Civic with 291,000. NEVER had a problem. They tell me they take the maintenance VERY serious because they need the car to make money. Ok SURE, the car is probably worth crap at that point. But they still had no payments for 5 years. They can sell it for $1000 to a random person or give it to their family members or friends. So far I haven't seen any business type that drives a ton keep using the car past that mileage or year mark as their daily driver tho. And usually the business people had a few cars. Dude, even a random Chinese millionaire with a McClaren F1 bought a Honda Accord Sport. CASH. Serious. First time he came in a Honda Pilot or something. Came to pick up with the McClaren. Needed a daily. Pilot was the family wagon/people mover. Wanted reliability, already has a badass car. Needed nice practical car.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

On the flip side. That is why I asked you about life stuff like career, wive kids. Honda S2K 6 speed is an AWESOME fun car as a single guy. Makes no sense as a daily driver if your wife can't/won't drive stick, you have 3 kids, and you need 2 child safety seats. If your situation changes, then moneywise, who cares, your kids need a safer more practical car, gotta do what you gotta do. SO - you have to say put that type of stuff into consideration, even now. Trust me. I see guys trade in 2 door Si's for Accords. Life changes. Try to plan ahead if you can.

The other big reason for the 10 year mark is that the odds or chances of something breaking or going wrong (obviously) go up after that. BUT even THEN. think about it. If you were the original, or 2nd, 3rd, the owner who had it for the last 10 years... you KNOW the car history and whether or not its worth putting money into, to keep going or not. My Mom seriously had a Corolla for 23 years. 20 years no car payment. Was a POS at the end tho, she kept it too long.

I see badass JDM and tuner cars that are 15 and 20 years old. I'd like to do that with mine. That's not really saving money tho LOL.
Since you're a tuner, I'd say still at least TRY to go for the 10 year mark with a car. You'll probably build it better and nicer over the long run. So... you need to ask yourself. Can you see yourself in (X) car for the next 10 years? If not, don't do it.

However if you win Lotto tonight, fuck all that. Lease a Lambo bruuuh

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-01-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts

OMG, a company in business to make a PROFIT? how dare they?!!?!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
My vote is to turn in the ilx and finance the tlx. You are done with the entry level acura its time to move on to the next level. Get u some jewel eyes lol
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
If you buy your car at 5 years with very low interest, you will have no payments for 5 years after. Examples why lease sucks ass (financially). You lease the TLX. At the end of the TLX lease, you basically could have owned the ILX already (your specific case). So if you kept if for around 10 years, you'd be payment free in a few years, OR barely starting to pay for a used TLX in a few years.
This is the main thought I am having.

Would I enjoy the extra power the TLX has? Hell yeah.

Would I enjoy rolling around in a TLX over and ILX? Hell yeah.

But 3 years from now do I want to be done with payments on an ILX or be half way through paying off a TLX?

When I started my ILX lease I had no idea what a TLX was. The 4G TL was still the thing. I did not want a 4G TL... nor did I think I could afford one.

After 3 years of $375 a month, with the ability to pay more, I can see a TL or TLX being very viable... but do I really want to be making payments for another 6 years or just 3?

And that is what it is coming down to right now for me. Even prior to making this thread. Id rather be in a TLX. It's an all around better car. But I dont want to be making car payments 4 years from now.

Will I be happy with my ILX 3 years from now? Yes I would.

Would I be more happy in a TLX? Of course.

Do I want to make those payments for another 6 years? Not really
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Once your car (any car) is flat out payed off, you have WAY more options and freedom to do as you please with it. So lets say you decide to get a different car in 4 years, cuz.... let's just say you have a kid, so now you want a little SUV or something, cuz your girl/wife feels she and the kid are safer in that. Whatever.

If you have the ILX paid off, just sell it. The car will be close to that "magic" generic 10 year recommended number. Another reason that's recommended - By then (4 years from now) lets say it's worth somewhere between $10-15,000. Someone may actually buy it from you off the street. And since its not a bucket, you will draw LESS attention from tire kickers and lowballers. I noticed it, been through this a few times... the older the car or more bucket the car, it's gonna attract lowlifes trying to ridiculously haggle. For whatever reason, selling a car private party, the magic sweet spot is between $5000-$15,000, mostly because decent hardworking people can actually save or scrounge that up. If the car is worth more, then people are going to a dealer, even a little local Mom and Pop one. If the car is worth less, you're gonna deal with a lot more time-wasters and bullshitters.

If your car is worth over $10k it's gonna take longer to sell. If your car is worth $15 and up, your only real option for a timely sale, is to a dealer. (exceptions are highly sought after cars, cars with a fanbase for whatever reason) The dealer's gonna hit you hard with the lowball.

So what if your car is still being paid off in 4 years?(TLX scenario) Well, who exactly is gonna come forward and take over your car loan? NO ONE. Who's gonna have the cash to buy a 20-25k (35k car, 4 years from now- 4 years depreciating and hard initial depreciation hit, numbers rounded) car, IN CASH? NO ONE, EXCEPT the dealer, Who AGAIN, will hit you with the lowball. OR, you can buy out that last YEAR'S worth of payments, flat out own the car, and THEN try to sell it... For 20-25k plus on the street.....

*** Had you decided to lease and then buy the TLX, you'd be DEEP buried on payments left to buyout the car. INSTEAD of having a paid off ILX that is worth $10-15k cash money. You can sell the ILX, put ZERO down, bank that $10-15k, and get back on payments for another car that fits your needs, (Preapproved CREDIT UNION) or bank loan) and then repeat the process in another 10-ish years.

Main point I'm trying to make is to give yourself OPTIONS and freedom. Freedom from car payments, freedom to do what you please with your property. Sell it, trade it to another private party where you both want what the other has, I mean you could even trade it to another person with money on top for someone looking to downgrade and keep it simple. After you get it fully checked out by a mechanic you fully trust, of course.

Basically, fuck the man. Just get something that you will enjoy and makes sense for a long while (presumably trying for 10 years). Especially if you want to try to make the most of your money.

But if you win the the lotto just lease a LS400 to go with the leased Lambo bruuuh.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-02-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Sorry, but I basically thread jacked this... No joke, I'm up late looking at trying to get into a pretty good job with my buddy. I need to focus more on school and this place is 3 long days a week, but 4 days off... WAY better for school. My sister is graduating Friday as a Registered Nurse, proud of her, she doesn't need my help anymore, I need to step it up. It was fun working random jobs and doing Marine Reserve last couple years, I blew off steam, but now I do have to keep it pushing... Another reason I'm leaving the reserve, need less distractions, focus on Stepping it up...I was gone from Acurazine for a while. Job I'm at is just ridiculous hours...

Anyway, i just passed 50k miles, and the factory powertrain warranty is up to 6 years, 70k miles. Ill be right at 70k at the 6 years, I'll pass that first Smog, and then BAM. BOOST that MOFO... if it's legal... Or if I'm doing really well financially, I'll just say fuck it actually...So although I've definitely bitched out of the C-T supercharger for the time being, I would definitely look at it when that warranty is up anyway, and if the Charger is CARB legal by then... (Should be)

SO... throwing it back to you... Another reason/ thing to think about your purchase... The factory warranty is EXCELLENT man. BUT, you are a tuner... So lets say you want to do that dope turbo or supercharger. Newer car means expensive, illegal (in Cali), one off custom. OR... A car that's been around a couple years? WAY more support available, options, and cheaper. Then you actually put your warranty to use while it was still good, instead of voiding it. Plus makes holding on to a car for 10 years (or more) a little more fun and do-able...

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-02-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Your car would also benefit from a SWAP when it's older man. You can probably get a legal K24 swap, since it did/does come with one... OR if they do do make a Type R or similar ILX motor... So lets say the engine blew one day at 100k+ Miles. For like a $1000 you can get a used k24 with low miles AND a warranty, that +labor... BAM new life, new warranty (probably a year on the motor, plus any decent mechanic guarantees their work). Pretty damn good for an older car (at that point) on a newer powertrain. I mean, keep a car going for a good amount of time with $1500-2000 budget?... I'm a cheap ass man, I think of all this shit man... LOL
Old 11-02-2015, 06:29 AM

Ive said my goal already. To own a sweet car. I needed to establish credit with what i thought was a sweet car. I still think it is. But maybe there is a sweeter car that would make sense to trade up to.

I dont understand how that doesnt make sense so telling me "its up to you" is just singing to the choir. I know its up to me. Im just wanting to hear peoples thoughs on purchasing the ilx as well helpful info on purchasing or trading depending on which path i take.
upon reviewing your goal, why would it make sense to trade UP to something better?
unless you're keepin' up with the Jones'

and if that's the case, you better look at your end goal hard.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 AM

remember, credit is not a goal. it's a tool, to help you gain wealth.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

remember, credit is not a goal. it's a tool, to help you gain wealth.
I have credit now. That has been achieved. Seriously man. Come on. LMAO

Thank you for the advice.

Im not trying to keep up with the jones. I dont know who the fucking jones are. But judging by the picture your comments painted I assume no one is keeping up with the jones while driving an Acura.

Bottom line is three more years of payments wont break my bank. It's not going to hinder me from meeting any goals. It's a damn Acura for crying out loud.

It's
A) Nicer car with more payments
or
B) A decently nice car paid off 3 years sooner.

Three years of car payments isnt going to change my end goal. That's why Im like WTF over these responses of yours. It's just a matter of "are three more years of payments worth getting into a quicker and sleeker car?"

So far I am leaning toward keeping the ILX. I do like the idea of more power. But it is no where needed. And I find the ILX to be very sleek as is. But as Rae said, I do like those Jewel eyes. hahaha
Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
im hoping you keep the ILX and keep trolling us with the same picture of your car with a different back ground over and over again.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nexx
im hoping you keep the ILX and keep trolling us with the same picture of your car with a different back ground over and over again.
You're in the thread I created trying to get a rise.

You are the definition of a troll. Get the fuck over yourself bro. You're a joke.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
Lmao that was a good one!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gtdrake
Lmao that was a good one!
Id rather see the same regurgitated pics from someone that enjoys their car over the same regurgitated complaints and immature bitching that youre doing.

Youre thread gets locked yet you still gotta push that immature button don't you? No helping some people i suppose.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
OP....I know everyone has an opinion and mine is simply another one but all I can say is life is short. Don't get something you can't afford but if you can....don't hold back. I have accumulated great wealth despite leasing cars since I was 25 - The key is to not spend all your money on toys but pick your vice....Mine is cars,so I enjoy them. After burying two friends in as many week,I say enjoy life...
Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd hang onto the ILX. You got it looking really cool and I like the looks of the ILX better than the TLX. If you keep it a few years longer, Acura might come out with some jazzier models of the ILX and TLX.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I'm coming late into this thread as I only just bought my 2016 ILX a week ago, so I was browsing the ILX forum here. I'm sure by now you've already made your decision as to what to do with your '13 ILX. Here's my two cents.

It seems I'm older than most of you guys here as I'm in the 40s. I consider myself financially savvy and have built up the credit and wealth you all discussed earlier. I'm a proponent of the "buy and driver forever" strategy. Cars are a depreciating asset. That means the value always goes down and then will essentially plateau near $0. I purchased the ILX to replace a '99 TL which was my first car out of college. So I drove that TL for 18 years and 270k miles. It's essentially worth nothing so I'm probably going to sell/donate it for $200-300 tops. For all the cars I've bought (you can see in my sig) I paid cash from day 1. I wrote a personal check for the entire purchase amount. In general it's only a good idea to finance an appreciating asset, such as real estate where the likelihood is high that the value will increase over time.

So my simple advice is, buy the car that you can easily afford. That means either pay cash for it or if you have to finance, makes sure the loan amount is easily handled by the monthly cash flow. If you lost your job and couldn't find a new one for 6 months, can you still easily make your loan payments out of your emergency fund? Over time as you gain more wealth take care of things like retirement savings, college funds for kids, and having a fat emergency fund. When it comes time to buy your next car, don't instantly look at the luxury cars your peers may be. By not buying that $50k BMW and instead buying a $30k Acura, you've saved $20k. Which if properly invested until you retire might grow to be an extra $200k.

TL;DR
I would keep/buy-out your current car and drive it until it falls apart, hopefully for at least 15 years.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Speaking of which, Jon, what's your future plan for the ILX? Any major mods? Or just drive it until the wheels fall off?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Speaking of which, Jon, what's your future plan for the ILX? Any major mods? Or just drive it until the wheels fall off?
I have quite a few smaller things to do.
Major mods of course. How many depends on how long im really interested in pouring money into it.

Bags so i can sit low and cruise at a safe height will be a given.
Id will be replacing the full exhaust.
Rebuild the wheels.
Side and rear oem kit.
Maybe a wrap.

If money and time wasnt an issue...

Console swap if at all possible. If not ive seen a shop that can do add a touch screen to the center deck plus redo the entire audio.
Redo the whole interior. Seats and headliner.
Forced induction. Id have to look into a stand alone ecu if i want any sort of tune so i need to talk to someone who can do the worl as i can not and see if they even suggest it. May be too much of a headache.

I plan to own the car for a long time and possible hand it down to a future child if it lasts that long... Maybe without mods like FI anyway. FI is probably better saved for another project buy im not dismissing it entirely.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Well... The k series engine do take well to forced induction. It's just pricey to do, if you do it right. Is there a supercharger option for the ILX? While it won't put down as much power as a turbo setup, I feel like they are more reliable. Plus, that torque bump, even if only 50ftlbs, would be amazing.

I still think looks are Acuras strong point, way over speed. Bags would definitely compliment that. I also like the functionality of them, being easily able to hike up the suspension when needed.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Well... The k series engine do take well to forced induction. It's just pricey to do, if you do it right. Is there a supercharger option for the ILX? While it won't put down as much power as a turbo setup, I feel like they are more reliable. Plus, that torque bump, even if only 50ftlbs, would be amazing.

I still think looks are Acuras strong point, way over speed. Bags would definitely compliment that. I also like the functionality of them, being easily able to hike up the suspension when needed.
Sadly i have the R series 2.0 with tech. I wanted navi and the ELS system so i went tech which is only available in the 2L here in the states.

Quick Reply: 2013 2.0 Tech ILX nearing lease maturity...