Fuel consumption 27/35

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel consumption 27/35

27/35 is the rating we have here at Canada. Now, I highly doubt I would get this type of economy so I believe the American rating a lot more at 24/35. But so far trying out two tanks of gas (One at Chevron putting in 91 and one at the States with Shell 92) I am getting crap fuel economy. I drive very carefully never slamming on on the acceleration and always let it glide whenever possible. I am getting about 19-20mpg in city. Keep in mind mine is a 2.0 tech. I don't get it... I heard tons of people on this forum is getting great average? Maybe it gets better as time goes on and the more I drive it? So far I got about 400-500 miles on it (keep in mind my car is only 3 weeks old).
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by deathknight777
27/35 is the rating we have here at Canada. Now, I highly doubt I would get this type of economy so I believe the American rating a lot more at 24/35. But so far trying out two tanks of gas (One at Chevron putting in 91 and one at the States with Shell 92) I am getting crap fuel economy. I drive very carefully never slamming on on the acceleration and always let it glide whenever possible. I am getting about 19-20mpg in city. Keep in mind mine is a 2.0 tech. I don't get it... I heard tons of people on this forum is getting great average? Maybe it gets better as time goes on and the more I drive it? So far I got about 400-500 miles on it (keep in mind my car is only 3 weeks old).
What's your average speed? I have the 6MT version. The first tank i went through I believe my average speed was around 45 mph, and was mostly highway driving with traffic mixed in here and there, plus some around town driving. That tank yielded 33.8 mpg according to the trip computer and 33.9 when i filled up and calculated it by hand (when i didn't hit any traffic on the highway, I averaged 36.1 mpg according to the computer over 120 miles of driving from Southern New Jersey to Long Island, NY). This second tank I'm on is at 28.4 mpg right now according to the trip computer, but my average speed is only 25mph now as its been all stop and go/around town driving. I tend to short shift during normal driving scenarios, and will skip gears to get into 5th or 6th as quickly as possible. I also tend to not exceed the speed limit (i'll accelerate hard from time to time), coast downhill, etc.

Is your tire pressure OK (low pressure will reduce fuel economy)? Cold temps will decrease your fuel economy as well. Also, is this fuel economy over the entire tank or from instantaneous readings on certain portions of your trips/commute?

cleanmpg.com has some good articles on increasing your fuel economy. Although if you really are accelerating slowly, not braking hard (and coasting), and not exceeding speed limits, then maybe there's an issue?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
[QUOTE=pabarile;14163979]What's your average speed? /QUOTE]
FYI, there is an indicator in the MID that shows your average speed per tankful. This is what you should check and report back. `
Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced

[quote=Colin;14164570]
Originally Posted by pabarile
What's your average speed? /QUOTE]
FYI, there is an indicator in the MID that shows your average speed per tankful. This is what you should check and report back. `
I did and it was 21-22mpg on the first tank but keep in mind 200 miles of it was on highway. The next tank I am getting about 19-20 mpg. I am going to try 89 at chevron next and I am going to get a full tank and let it do 90% city driving and I'll come back to this board to give the result.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pabarile
What's your average speed? I have the 6MT version. The first tank i went through I believe my average speed was around 45 mph, and was mostly highway driving with traffic mixed in here and there, plus some around town driving. That tank yielded 33.8 mpg according to the trip computer and 33.9 when i filled up and calculated it by hand (when i didn't hit any traffic on the highway, I averaged 36.1 mpg according to the computer over 120 miles of driving from Southern New Jersey to Long Island, NY). This second tank I'm on is at 28.4 mpg right now according to the trip computer, but my average speed is only 25mph now as its been all stop and go/around town driving. I tend to short shift during normal driving scenarios, and will skip gears to get into 5th or 6th as quickly as possible. I also tend to not exceed the speed limit (i'll accelerate hard from time to time), coast downhill, etc.

Is your tire pressure OK (low pressure will reduce fuel economy)? Cold temps will decrease your fuel economy as well. Also, is this fuel economy over the entire tank or from instantaneous readings on certain portions of your trips/commute?

cleanmpg.com has some good articles on increasing your fuel economy. Although if you really are accelerating slowly, not braking hard (and coasting), and not exceeding speed limits, then maybe there's an issue?
The fuel was checked on a full commute till my car tells me I have 15 miles left on the tank (low fuel warning). I never exceed the speed limit unless it is on highway or at 3am and there is no traffic. My car is 3 weeks old so I highly doubt there are any other problems (such as tire pressure).

One thing that mention that might be spot-on would be the cold. It is about 5C here in Canada. So that might be a reason why. Again, other then visiting the States or driving at midnight, I never have the chance to go beyond 25mph. I expect at least 22mpg. Again, I'll be back with the result soon.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have about 8000 km on my car (2.0 Tech) and my average is 8.1L/100 km (29 MPG) and I do mostly city driving. I have a bit of a heavy foot and it hasn't budged from that number for over a couple thousand kilometres. My fuel economy got much better after the break-in period, where my MID stated my average was about 9.8L/100 km (24 MPG).
Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also drive the 2.0 Tech, and since I got the car, I've driven very passively. I do about 60% City and 40% Highway. I only get around 25 for some reason.

Does anyone else have the problem where your MID says you have about like 5 Miles left, but when you fill up, it only fills like 10.5 gallons? Our Manual says we hold about 13..
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veeedub
I also drive the 2.0 Tech, and since I got the car, I've driven very passively. I do about 60% City and 40% Highway. I only get around 25 for some reason.

Does anyone else have the problem where your MID says you have about like 5 Miles left, but when you fill up, it only fills like 10.5 gallons? Our Manual says we hold about 13..
When the light first goes on, you should have 3 gallons in the tank. When your MID hits 0 miles left, you should have 2 gallons in the tank.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure yet? Low average speed, stop and go traffic, air temperature, low tire pressure, air conditioning, all will have a bearing on your gas mileage.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
key with MPGs is your avg MPH. telling us you drive 60% hwy 40% city means nothing since it's all relative to where you live. city in a congested metro area may mean stop and go with lots of idling (=0mpg). hwy could be 55mph for one and 75mph for another.

EPA estimates are typically based on a 25 or 30 mph avg for city i believe.

the lower the MPH the more your MPGs will hurt.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced

The fuel was checked on a full commute till my car tells me I have 15 miles left on the tank (low fuel warning). I never exceed the speed limit unless it is on highway or at 3am and there is no traffic. My car is 3 weeks old so I highly doubt there are any other problems (such as tire pressure).

One thing that mention that might be spot-on would be the cold. It is about 5C here in Canada. So that might be a reason why. Again, other then visiting the States or driving at midnight, I never have the chance to go beyond 25mph. I expect at least 22mpg. Again, I'll be back with the result soon.
What was your average speed this last fill up? It sounds like if you're rarely exceeding 25mph that your average speed is really low. The lower it is (to a point. if you're average speed is 85mph than your gas mileage will suffer as well!) the lower your fuel economy will most likely be as it indicates that you spend a lot of time in stop in go traffic, idling at stop lights, etc, which are all detrimental to mileage.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced

sorry, meant to also say to be sure to read your average speed off of the MID.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced

deathknight777: I just filled up my 6MT for the second time. You can check out my stats on fuelly.com (hover over the "notes" to see the MID reported average speed and fuel economy). You'll note that on the second fill up, my average speed is less than half that of the first fill up, and correspondingly my fuel economy is lower.

In any case, if your statistics are similar to mine, I'd expect your 2.0 Tech model to do better than my 2.4. For a better comparison, it would probably help if some users here with the 2.0 equipped models could share their average speed and fuel economy numbers. I'm just throwing out my stats for reference.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=deathknight777;14165661]
Originally Posted by Colin

I did and it was 21-22mpg on the first tank but keep in mind 200 miles of it was on highway. The next tank I am getting about 19-20 mpg. I am going to try 89 at chevron next and I am going to get a full tank and let it do 90% city driving and I'll come back to this board to give the result.
Not asking about your MPG (Miles per Gallon), asking about your MPH (Miles per Hour) for the given tank of gas. You can find this in the multifunction display. We're not requesting your 'butt guess' of how much city/hwy driving you're doing. There is an exact number available if you can get to the menu in the car (it's not hard).
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

FYI: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/satoauto/ilx
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Advanced

[quote=Colin;14167368]
Not asking about your MPG (Miles per Gallon), asking about your MPH (Miles per Hour) for the given tank of gas. You can find this in the multifunction display. We're not requesting your 'butt guess' of how much city/hwy driving you're doing. There is an exact number available if you can get to the menu in the car (it's not hard).
I am not guessing... Why would I guess when it says it up there? The problem is that I am from Canada and like the rest of the world we use litres/100km. I thought this site is American hence why I said 20-21 MPG in case there is slight differences. Again, like the rest of the world we use KM and not miles but just to kindly convert it to you I am getting about 20 MPH in the city.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Suzuka Master

I never have the chance to go beyond 25mph. I expect at least 22mpg. Again, I'll be back with the result soon.
[QUOTE=deathknight777;14167977]

I am not guessing... Why would I guess when it says it up there? The problem is that I am from Canada and like the rest of the world we use litres/100km. I thought this site is American hence why I said 20-21 MPG in case there is slight differences. Again, like the rest of the world we use KM and not miles but just to kindly convert it to you I am getting about 20 MPH in the city.
I missed where you actually stated a MPH figure, but it still sounds like you're estimating (vs a full tank average from MID) it based on your second statement where you say "about". Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but as Steve Jobs would say, "maybe you're holding it wrong" LOL.

The bottom line is this. Your car is brand new. Acura's will continue to break in well through 5000 miles. If you only average 25 MPH, your mileage is going to be pretty bad. However, I'm guessing that you're also not driving too far so total fuel consumption is probably manageable. Just be glad you're not in a Hyundai, since they were lying to the EPA to the tune of 3-6 MPG, you might be only getting 15 MPG with their car.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Ok so to put it in metric terms, the lower your KPH average, the lower your lt/100km.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced

I forgot to also ask what your average duration of your trips/commutes? I ask because short trips at slow speeds in cold weather would probably be one of the worst scenarios as far as fuel economy is concerned.

For example, I have a friend with a Civic Hybrid (2007 i think?) who used to get fantastic mileage here in Southern New Jersey. His commute to work was maybe 15 miles, with traffic moving along at 45-55 mph and occasionally having to stop at a light. He used to average 50-55mpg in the more temperate months and around 40-45 in the winter. One time, he was able to tag along behind a slow moving dump truck at 35mph for most of the way to work and achieved 68mpg on his way in! However, he now lives in Ithaca, and with the colder temps and a shorter commute to work, I believe his mileage has dipped to around 35mpg in the colder months and the low 40's in the warmer months.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a good picture of your driving habits and scenarios. It may turn out that you just have an awful environment (i.e. cold temps, short trips, slow speeds) for achieving good fuel economy. You could maybe on the weekend try to take the car on a highway type drive where you can average somewhere between 50-65 mph. I'm guessing you would see your fuel economy dramatically improve. And if not, then maybe there is a problem.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ahh I see! My Avg speed is about 24 mph. My typical routine involves a bunch of short trips with lots of lights. About 5-15 miles a trip.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, I just had a great tank of gas. Found a station selling 100% gasoline with no Ethanol. Average speed on the tank was 29 MPH. (the link above is dynamic and reflects the latest tank)

And we recently received this dubious "honor" http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...idlock-stretch

Last edited by Colin; 11-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.