Differences between years.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences between years.

Hey guys,

this is my first post on Acurazine, but I promise I've used the search button and have been reading up on stuff before I posted this. I was wondering if someone could help me narrow down the differences between the 13,14,15 ilx. Specifically the 2.4, I currently have a 2013 si, but am looking to step up in classiness and swap my mods to the ilx. I just want to know what small changes were made throughout these years. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by corybgee
Hey guys,

this is my first post on Acurazine, but I promise I've used the search button and have been reading up on stuff before I posted this. I was wondering if someone could help me narrow down the differences between the 13,14,15 ilx. Specifically the 2.4, I currently have a 2013 si, but am looking to step up in classiness and swap my mods to the ilx. I just want to know what small changes were made throughout these years. Thanks!
2013 2014 and 2015 2.4ilx are all identical.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by usdmJON
2013 2014 and 2015 2.4ilx are all identical.
really? Not saying your wrong just surprises me as so much changed in the civic si's in those years..
Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
usdmJON is correct, as far as power train goes. They all use the same K24Z7 motor.

If you have mods on your SI and looking to jump into a 13-15 ILX then you're in luck. Almost all engine parts and some suspension parts are interchangeable.

Wish that was possible with the 2016 ILX. I can't even get an intake on my car.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

really? Not saying your wrong just surprises me as so much changed in the civic si's in those years..
Yep. 2013 ILX to 2015 ILX saw no changes at all.

Aside from I supposed the recall on hybrid/base halogen lights. So the hybrid/base ILX changed from 2013 to 2014. Headlight insides only. Nothing cosmetic.

But the 2.4 ILX in the states, as well as the Dynamic in Cananda, and as well as the Premium, and tech everywhere all had zero changes between 2013-2015.

They changed a lot in 2016. But the 2013 2.4 ILX and the 2015 2.4 ILX are identical cars.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:26 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
That's because when the Civic came out in early 2011 as a 2012 model, it received poor reviews about interior quality and materials, and not so good driving dynamics. Consumer Reports also removed it from the coveted "Recommended" list.

What did Honda do? They panicked and rushed out a redesign in Nov 2012 for the 2013 model year.

The Civic again saw updates in 2014, but these updates/changes were for its MMC (mid/minor model change) refresh. Honda always offers updates/changes during the middle of the car's life, just like how the ILX saw updates in 2016, so this update was expected unlike the 2013 "emergency refresh."

You have to realize that the Civic received so much attention and got the updates and changes in such a short period of time because it is one of Honda's bread and butter cars. The ILX (along with the RLX) is Honda's red headed stepchild.

When the Civic sells 15 to 18 times more than what the ILX does in a year, where would you focus your attention and priorities?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Agree with Jon. As far as I know, for the 2.4 there was nothing changed for 3 model years.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:13 AM
Cruisin'

Good to know, Thanks everyone for the responses. I just figured they wouldn't let the civic out-class the ilx per say in areas like the blind spot camera and change in stereo.. Guess I was wrong! hopefully I'll be picking one up relatively soon and can contribute more to the forums.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
they all have different ECUs .. If you buy a 15 and have a Flash pro you won't be able to use it, 2013 you definitely can and I'm pretty sure the 14 as well.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by k24ilx
they all have different ECUs .. If you buy a 15 and have a Flash pro you won't be able to use it, 2013 you definitely can and I'm pretty sure the 14 as well.
Well... Id say they are all the same. But you are right about flashpro.

They are all different years though so to flashpro a 2015 ILX may as well be a damn jetski. The ECU are identical but since it is in a different year ILX, and the computer can see that, it wont work. Even though the maps would be identical as well fuel to air ratio. It just wont work due to the limitations hondata puts on their products.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 AM
Cruisin'

This is interesting.. So people who have the 2015 wont be able to use Flashpro? I have it for my si and would be planning on swapping it over so that's pretty important to me.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:23 AM
Suzuka Master

This is interesting.. So people who have the 2015 wont be able to use Flashpro? I have it for my si and would be planning on swapping it over so that's pretty important to me.
You can not use the same flashpro unit on a civic and ILX even if that year ILX has a flashpro available.

Flashpro limits how you can use their unit as I tried to highlight in my last post.

You can use your flashpro on another civic as long as it is the same exact year, same exact trim, and in the same market... as in a flashpro for the US market civic will not work for a civic marketed for canada, china, japan, etc etc even if it is the same exact car aside from where its sold.

In order to use your flashpro on another civic you would first have to have your ECU flashed back to stock to allow the flashpro to flash different ECU. But your civic's flashpro will NOT work with the ILX of any year.

Your best bet there would be to sell the flashpro and use that money to buy a new one for the ILX.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 AM
Cruisin'

Im pretty sure that is incorrect, as my flashpro says 2012+ civic si / ILX specifically on it. but maybe there is something I am missing regarding that. I know I would have to flash the civic back to stock.. but after that it SHOULD be transferable.

You can not use the same flashpro unit on a civic and ILX even if that year ILX has a flashpro available.

Flashpro limits how you can use their unit as I tried to highlight in my last post.

You can use your flashpro on another civic as long as it is the same exact year, same exact trim, and in the same market... as in a flashpro for the US market civic will not work for a civic marketed for canada, china, japan, etc etc even if it is the same exact car aside from where its sold.

In order to use your flashpro on another civic you would first have to have your ECU flashed back to stock to allow the flashpro to flash different ECU. But your civic's flashpro will NOT work with the ILX of any year.

Your best bet there would be to sell the flashpro and use that money to buy a new one for the ILX.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Cruisin'

Also If you look on Vittuned.com, Where I bought my flashpro the options are 2012-2015 civic si / ilx. No other options for either car.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well... Id say they are all the same. But you are right about flashpro.

They are all different years though so to flashpro a 2015 ILX may as well be a damn jetski. The ECU are identical but since it is in a different year ILX, and the computer can see that, it wont work. Even though the maps would be identical as well fuel to air ratio. It just wont work due to the limitations hondata puts on their products.
Well if you want to get TECHNICAL they may be the SAME ECU but they have Different ECU/Part numbers so physically it may be the same but digitally it is different. I bought a 15 and found out i couldn't use a flash pro after the fact.

Just giving This guy a heads up before he makes a mistake and realizes all the mods he wants to use are pointless because he can't tune. get a 13 or 14 if you can find one you like, will be limited for awhile/ maybe forever if you buy a 15.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Im pretty sure that is incorrect, as my flashpro says 2012+ civic si / ILX specifically on it. but maybe there is something I am missing regarding that. I know I would have to flash the civic back to stock.. but after that it SHOULD be transferable.
Well youve heard from K24 and I both that the 13/14 flashpro unit will not work for the ILX. I am damn sure as well the civic flashpro wont flash an ILX ECU.

My suggestion is to email Vit who will have a 100% correct answer for you.

My claim is that you cant even use a USDM 2012 Civic SI flashpro on an EDM 2012 Civic SI; let alone a Honda flashpro for an Acura. I understand its the same car. But as k24ilx just said. Its all in the computer programming.

Installing a civic exhaust on an ILX works because the bolts and layout pattern wont suddenly stop working if the exhaust reads "wait I belong in a 2013 and this is a 2015". The computer system will do that and it will not work. EVen though it should work and its all identical. It wont work until Flashpro puts money into R&D to say it does work then actually forks over the effort to remarket it.

Hondata is looking at the numbers they got from producing a 2013/2014 unit and decided it was not worth it for them as NO ONE is modding their 13/14 k24 ILXs. When I say no one I mean no one is tuning. Maybe like 5 have in the world. That's not worth it to hondata.

What I suggest is to contact OTHER tuning/race groups and see who can get a stand alone unit working or knows another option.

Try Ktuner. They have flash but from what Ive heard here it doesnt support larger injectors or a turbo yet. Push for Ktuner to allow that support. I'd put money on ktuner developing something before hondata decides they'll actually make money off a unit for the 2015 now that the 2016 is available.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Well if you want to get TECHNICAL they may be the SAME ECU but they have Different ECU/Part numbers so physically it may be the same but digitally it is different. I bought a 15 and found out i couldn't use a flash pro after the fact.

Just giving This guy a heads up before he makes a mistake and realizes all the mods he wants to use are pointless because he can't tune. get a 13 or 14 if you can find one you like, will be limited for awhile/ maybe forever if you buy a 15.

No youre completely right it wont work and that is indeed something OP should be informed about.

I was just replying with the thought that I had stated the cars were identical. They are identical. The flashpro should work. But youre right it wont. This limitation is not because the ECUs are inherently different but because they have two different years in their coding and that coding prevents the flash from taking in the newer ECU.

Literally all hondata has to do from a technically stand point is change the coding to allow for the year stamp "2015" and it'll work exactly the same as the 2013 and 2014. But this would require time, money, and man power. To which hondata doesnt like using very often. That's why tuners like Vit came out. 3rd party maps on Hondata units FTW!! Vit can put more time into that segment than hondata is willing to. I suggest talking to Vit OP. He should have all your answers.

Last edited by usdmJON; 09-21-2015 at 06:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
k24ilx (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

Sounds like a plan, Im gunna email Vit and see what he has to say and let you all know the verdict.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

So just to understand, K24 you are saying that the flashpro wont work for the 15 and usdmjon you are saying it wont work on any ilx?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

So just to understand, K24 you are saying that the flashpro wont work for the 15 and usdmjon you are saying it wont work on any ilx?
To my understanding it for sure will not work with the 2015 as there is no unit for the 2015. As for it working with the 2014 or 2013... I am not sure. What I do know is your flashpro would not work with an EDM Si which to me seems more similar to the USDM Si than the USDM ILX does.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Cruisin'

To my understanding it for sure will not work with the 2015 as there is no unit for the 2015. As for it working with the 2014 or 2013... I am not sure. What I do know is your flashpro would not work with an EDM Si which to me seems more similar to the USDM Si than the USDM ILX does.
Got it, Well just an update according to hondata.com they flashpro that works for the USDM 2012+ si will also work for the 2013-2014 ilx 2.4. And also have found 2 people that are using it on their 2013 that made the switch from an si.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Got it, Well just an update according to hondata.com they flashpro that works for the USDM 2012+ si will also work for the 2013-2014 ilx 2.4. And also have found 2 people that are using it on their 2013 that made the switch from an si.
Thats awesome. So youll have to buy a 13 or 14. Not bad. No differences between the 14 and 15 yo justify the need for a 15. Hell i like the number 13 and enjoying owning the first year model. Though i guess im lucky cause everyone expected more of us would see year 1 issues. I havent.

Who are these other two users? Why are they not here?! Lol

Cant wait to see what you do with an ilx. When did you plan to buy?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Cruisin'

Thats awesome. So youll have to buy a 13 or 14. Not bad. No differences between the 14 and 15 yo justify the need for a 15. Hell i like the number 13 and enjoying owning the first year model. Though i guess im lucky cause everyone expected more of us would see year 1 issues. I havent.

Who are these other two users? Why are they not here?! Lol

Cant wait to see what you do with an ilx. When did you plan to buy?
Im trying to work things out right now to get one as soon as possible. Im currently in Afghanistan, so not really that easy to get one while over here. After I leave here I will be going to japan for a little while, but I plan on getting the ilx while Im in Japan. As for plans I am gunna turbo it, and put either my TE37's on her or my RPF1's. also probably pick up some other wheels to swap through while Im in Japan.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Im not sure the ILX is even sold in Japan.

I may be wrong here but I believe its just the American, Canandian, and Chinese markets with it.

China would be the place to buy since it has the clear turn signals NO ONE here has.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Im not sure the ILX is even sold in Japan.

I may be wrong here but I believe its just the American, Canandian, and Chinese markets with it.

China would be the place to buy since it has the clear turn signals NO ONE here has.

Sorry, I should've clarified. Ill be buying one in the states but it will just be waiting for me in storage while I'm in Japan.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 AM
Cruisin'

Can anyone tell me based off this link is there anything that a 13 ilx wouldn't have that a 14 would?

Acura | Certified Pre-Owned ILX Model Year Comparison Page | Acura.com

I know it says available for some things like heated seats and power seats but then standard in 14. Does anyone know if the 2.4 got those options in 13?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Can anyone tell me based off this link is there anything that a 13 ilx wouldn't have that a 14 would?

Acura | Certified Pre-Owned ILX Model Year Comparison Page | Acura.com

I know it says available for some things like heated seats and power seats but then standard in 14. Does anyone know if the 2.4 got those options in 13?
The 13 2.4 is a premium in the US so it should have whatever the premium ILX is listed to have. I do believe you have heated seats.

Try getting a Canandian 2.4 dynamic. Only available in cananda. It's a 2.4 with all the tech bells and whistles. Only a couple here can say they have a 2.4 with tech package.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Cruisin'

The 13 2.4 is a premium in the US so it should have whatever the premium ILX is listed to have. I do believe you have heated seats.

Try getting a Canandian 2.4 dynamic. Only available in cananda. It's a 2.4 with all the tech bells and whistles. Only a couple here can say they have a 2.4 with tech package.

I don't know how easy it would be to get a 2.4 dynamic. I'll look into it though. Thanks for the info though, hopefully I'll have a build thread before long.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No youre completely right it wont work and that is indeed something OP should be informed about.

I was just replying with the thought that I had stated the cars were identical. They are identical. The flashpro should work. But youre right it wont. This limitation is not because the ECUs are inherently different but because they have two different years in their coding and that coding prevents the flash from taking in the newer ECU.

Literally all hondata has to do from a technically stand point is change the coding to allow for the year stamp "2015" and it'll work exactly the same as the 2013 and 2014. But this would require time, money, and man power. To which hondata doesnt like using very often. That's why tuners like Vit came out. 3rd party maps on Hondata units FTW!! Vit can put more time into that segment than hondata is willing to. I suggest talking to Vit OP. He should have all your answers.
Both of them are correct. I came this close to buying a used CT supercharger for my 2015 ILX only to find out that Vit said there is no way to get it to work as the Hondata 13/14 won't work on a 15.

Still trying to convince hondata to get it going:
https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewto...p=84540#p84540