Car wash tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015 | 08:28 PM
4th Gear

Car wash tips

I finally got my first Acura. I want to make sure that I take care of the wash. Are there any tips on washing the car , specially drying it without leaving leaving water marks or swirls. What type of car wash soap you recommend ? How often do you wax?
Sorry, too many questions but at least they are related.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015 | 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome. There is a lot to be learned about car care. Also, everyone has different levels of 'fanaticism' when it comes to products and procedures. I can say that I use a dedicated car wash soap, a microfiber wash mitt, a water sprite synthetic chamois to get the majority of the water off, but finish drying with a microfiber 'waffle' towel. There is a dedicated forum here as AZ just for car care tips. Look here for all the detail you can handle! Wash & Wax - AcuraZine Community
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015 | 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Use two buckets.
One to rinse the sponge or mitt and another with clean water and soap.
Old 02-27-2015 | 01:27 PM
Racer

Congrats on the car. How often you wax will depend on the weather in your area and the color of the car (that's why I got a white one, waxing isn't really necessary, but black or dark blue....different story). USDM had a good idea with the 2 buckets. What I do is go to one of those do-it-yourself pressure washing bays and spend $2-$3 doing that first, then go home and actually hand wash it. A lot of the real dirt will already be off and you can really start detailing it right out of the gates.

In terms of drying - I use one of those rubber blades, sort of like a windshield wiper. You can get one a autozone or anywhere for like $10
1st_Acura (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015 | 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Depends, do you have a 2015 or a 2016? Washing instructions vary by model year
CheeseyPoofs McNut (03-03-2015)
Old 02-27-2015 | 10:28 PM
4th Gear

OSUBeaver - the rubber does not scratch the car when drying?
Old 02-28-2015 | 02:24 AM
_

Originally Posted by OSUBeaver
Congrats on the car. How often you wax will depend on the weather in your area and the color of the car (that's why I got a white one, waxing isn't really necessary, but black or dark blue....different story).
A wax or sealant acts as a protective layer. It protects your car from the elements and makes removing dirt and other contaminants easier. Did a bird take a dump on your car? If you waxed or sealed it, the acidic bird crap will do less damage to the paint because that layer of wax/sealant will act as a sacrificial barrier. If you didn't wax or seal the paint, that acidic bird crap will eat into and etch your paint and you'll be left with this:

A wax/sealant will also offer UV protection and protection from oxidation. It does what sunscreen does for your skin.

So yeah, if you don't care to protect and maintain the finish of your paint or give it a deep glossy shine, then waxing or sealing your paint isn't necessary. And it doesn't matter what color your car is either. Birds and contaminants don't only seek out dark colored cars to do damage to.
TLtrigirl (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015 | 07:18 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

look in the wash and wax section as another poster has linked.

check out the how to's on autogeek or detailers domain. tons of info, and tons of product. what you use will depend on you and your wallet.
ulrblitzer (02-28-2015)
Old 03-03-2015 | 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1st_Acura
I finally got my first Acura. I want to make sure that I take care of the wash. Are there any tips on washing the car , specially drying it without leaving leaving water marks or swirls. What type of car wash soap you recommend ? How often do you wax?
Sorry, too many questions but at least they are related.

Thanks
This will put you ahead of 90% of the people out there:

Always use the two bucket method when washing. Use a quality car wash soap designed specifically for the job. Use a quality drying towel and add some quick spray wax/sealant to the car on a regular basis.

Click ->
This is the most important piece as it will help you to minimize damaging your paint.

Click -> Duragloss 901 wash concentrate. Great stuff!

Click -> Cobra Guzzler - great for drying you vehicle.

Click -> Duragloss Aquawax. Great stuff - I spray it on my car after every other wash. Goes on and wipes off very easy. Adds some shine and some protection to your paint and smells nice too!

The next level for you would be to polish your car then apply a sealant (something like this click -> Blackfire Wet Diamond) a couple times a year. This takes some investment in time and $$ but will really add that next 10% shine to your car. Short of that you can put a decent sealant on it (skip the polishing) a couple times a year and your car will look great for years!
Old 03-03-2015 | 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Nailed it. That being said, what I REALLY, REALLY, recommend is a quality soap with wax already in it. I use Meguair's store brand stuff, I know the detailer stuff is even better, but it works great for me regardless. Even as I'm washing the car, the wax is already taking hold, and its already beading water off. You will build nice thin layers of protection every wash.

Obviously, full on waxing protects even better. BUT most people are too lazy to take the extra step. Even if you do, its just extra protection, so why not?

I also really do recommend the detailers/ spray wax that you use as you DRY the car. I noticed people skip steps because of time. If you do it this way, you're kind of adding in "overlap". So if you do wax, you're extra good, if you skip it because of time, you'll be alright.
Old 03-03-2015 | 07:39 PM
_

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Even as I'm washing the car, the wax is already taking hold, and its already beading water off.
Beading water just means that there's high surface tension. Just because it's beading water doesn't mean there's protection.

Beading vs. Sheeting

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
Water beading is only a sign of high surface tension, it does not automatically mean the surface is protected.

Water beading can be a visual indicator of a coating's presence. By that I mean, if your car's finish does not bead water before, cleaning, polishing and protecting, but does bead water after applying a protective wax coating, then as the beading diminishes over time and exposure to repeated washing or inclement weather, the lack of beading can be a visual indicator that the wax is wearing off.

Some Meguiar's waxes, like Gold Class wax, are not formulated to bead water well. Many people read into this that it is a product that doesn't protect well. The chemists that created this formula understand that water beading and then drying on painted surfaces can lead to problems, so they designed Gold Class Wax to not bead water.

While it's easy to explain the benefits of a wax that sheets water instead of beads water, it would appear that most people prefer a wax that beads water, if for no other reason, than it looks cool.
Old 03-03-2015 | 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AZuser
Beading water just means that there's high surface tension. Just because it's beading water doesn't mean there's protection.

Beading vs. Sheeting
Yes - this is actually what I MEANT to describe.

So lemme fix it - when I'm washing the car with soap that has wax in it, literally as I'm washing it, I can see the water sheeting off off the car. It creates a very slick surface. A little bit of that happens when I first rinse off the car, but as Im washing it its already improving.

Obviously the better the stuff you use, the better the effects.

I do wax the car as well For small stuff, I use the best stuff that Pep boys or Auto Zone has on sale. Mostly peripheral stuff for the tires,or window stuff, whatever. OR, really I try to wait until Chemical Guys or a 3D Detailer supplier near my house has a sale/clearance and then I buy in (somewhat) bulk.

Id suggest checking out the websites already recommended but if you want brick and mortar places you can walk into - look into Chemical Guys and people that carry their stuff, and 3D Detailing is pretty good too. I'm sure there's other places people can suggest.

* forgot to add that the Meguiars products the guys were talking about in the link provided, are discussing stuff I've used, and those were the effects. Mostly because its readiliy available, because I think I did get better results ( not night and day just better) with Chemical Guys and 3D Detailing stuff. Or Meguiars Pro Detailer stuff.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 03-03-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added