2016 ILX unveiled! with Jewel Eyes and A-Spec trim!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
im guessing the aspec will be ~$1,000? the SE TSX was +$1,000 over a base tsx for similar equipment of the ILX Aspec (but with no +1 wheel pkg)
Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Aspec is a joke. I'm so offended by that title.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
That's what I don't understand. The 2.4L ILX is right at where the 2.4L TLX will be or can get had for. Very close at least. I just don't see why you wouldn't jump up
Not everyone wants a bigger car and the base TLX will probably be about the same price as the Tech+ ILX. It's the same as the Tech I4 and the base V6 being the same price. The good thing is that, now, buying the ILX Tech+ over the TLX won't seem ridiculous AND they won't have to discount ILX models to sell them.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Aspec is a joke. I'm so offended by that title.
Same jokes as rest of the industry with S Line, M, AMG. No performance just badges, body kits and wheels.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
I actually like how the ILX package their trims. It give you better selection of what you want and maybe will keep the price down. I think this is the break down
Base
Base+Acurawatch
Premium
Premium+Aspec
TechPlus
TechPlus+Spec

So I am going to assume that the premium and tech model have the acura watch package already included???

If they price their aspec package right it will sell well. For the "sport model" on the accord the price increase only 1500$ so hopefully it will be 1500-2000$ for the ILX

I think I will settle for the premium or premium+aspec depends on the price and how the 17 inches look on the ILX
Old 11-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Same jokes as rest of the industry with S Line, M, AMG. No performance just badges, body kits and wheels.
ummm.....
except that those are based off of actual performance cars.

the S-line add on's come from the ACTUAL R and S line from the audi performance cars...

the AMG packages actually come from the AMG Merc performance cars.

the M packages actually come from the M-line BMW performance cars.

acura doesnt have such line...
and is just tacking on shit for no reason
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Acura_Dude (11-21-2014), usdmJON (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
ummm.....

the S-line add on's come from the ACTUAL R and S line from the audi performance cars...

I think the Accord Sport set a precedence here. They gave it better wheels and sported-up the interior a bit then call it a "Sport" and it's selling like hotcakes

I think Acura is trying to tell you something but the diehard Acura enthusiasts just refuse to listen
Old 11-21-2014, 01:10 PM

the third gen TL and the 1st gen TSX did have actual performance aspec add on's that improved the car, aerodynamically and lowered the car's suspension geometry to make it quicker in turns.

the new aspec stuff doesnt add any performance..
Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
the new aspec stuff doesnt add any performance..
Not counting the potential for stickier rubber and low(er) profile tires. It might have been nice if they threw in a 1/2"-1" drop with the package. There is no reason to assume there isn't an aero improvement.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM

right, i was assuming because I didnt see it in the press release.
Also the video of the silver and blue ILX shows different wheel gaps of both.
assuming the blue one is the aspec'd one, it shows it's lower.

the aspec kit for the 3G TL reduced Coefficient drag by a little bit
Old 11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
So the A-spec is adds simple styling cues that can be bolted on easily to any car... not front side or rear kit options, just 18in wheels that look like dubs on the stock height, sill garnish, spoiler and fog lights that come standard on anything but the previous base models.

So this leads me to believe the TECH wont have fog lights? That makes no sense and would suck. I feel my tech is more in line with the new aspec minus the spoiler I dont care for.
I honestly think the aspec is a fail without is having a better suspension at least.

Rest of the car as a whole is a win. Different enough to tell the cars apart, some stuff I like, some I really don't.

Wonder if tuning the R series will get the small market of love the D series still has. Build what youve got is what they say!
Too somewhat answer your question about the fog lights, they'll more than likely be an accessory add on like the TLX and MDX. The fogs are standard on the top trims, but since the Jewel Eyes are so good, many of the owners cannot tell the difference with them on. Most just got the LED fogs for aesthetics. So I doubt you'll miss them if you were to upgrade to the '16. But Im sure they'll be available as an accessory. Btw does anyone know the mpg the new 2.4 will get in a lighter car?
Racer

ummm.....

A-SPEC has been what Acura always called the performance models. A-SPEC TL for example.

You can get a M, S-Line, and AMG package on all the base models for the looks.

Do some research.
Suzuka Master

ummm.....

quoted for truth

This A Spec is no better than the California TL. If they get any wheel aside from the stock wheels theyll be valued by Acura at over 1g just on wheels. Spoiler 300, fogs 300, sill garnish 200. You are looking at probably a 1.5G mark up I would guess.

They could have thrown some sport springs on there to lower it just an inch, modified the axle back with a $80 cost muffler to make it deeper and "higher flowing" plus a thicker RSB. Then cosmetically they could just change the wheels as they did and darken the chrome trim to a smoked or black chrome and it would be worlds apart from the standard ILX and cost less than the spoiler sills and fogs they are adding.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

A-SPEC has been what Acura always called the performance models. A-SPEC TL for example.

Do some research.
There is no performance ILX to pull performance parts from like the Ms and AMGs do. THAT is the difference. Yes acura has a type s, but they haven't made a real type S with performance upgrades since what the 3g maybe? Im not even sure but we cant claim the ILX is pulling from the 3G TL-S now can we/
Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I think the Accord Sport set a precedence here. They gave it better wheels and sported-up the interior a bit then call it a "Sport" and it's selling like hotcakes

I think Acura is trying to tell you something but the diehard Acura enthusiasts just refuse to listen
Sport actually has different steering, different suspension in the rear, and a dual exhaust that adds 4 more HP. And it drives way different than other Accords. I know, I just got one.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:39 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I like the MMC ILX as well. Just missing the 6spd like the TLX, though I'm nitpicking. We know why the manuals are going the way of the dodo. No point in beating a dead horse. For the record I do like the new power train.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Sport actually has different steering, different suspension in the rear, and a dual exhaust that adds 4 more HP. And it drives way different than other Accords. I know, I just got one.
It's rated at 4 hp more and does have dual exhaust but those hardly qualify as a performance increase.

I'd need to see a link to proof of the different steering and suspension - it's my understanding those are identical across the Accord line.

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
Acura_Dude (11-21-2014), justnspace (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

right, i was assuming because I didnt see it in the press release.
Also the video of the silver and blue ILX shows different wheel gaps of both.
assuming the blue one is the aspec'd one, it shows it's lower.

the aspec kit for the 3G TL reduced Coefficient drag by a little bit
According to Tyson's blog, the blue car was the A-Spec, the silver regular but with option wheels. No word so far on what the stock wheels will look like.

I'd imagine the decklid spoiler will improve Cd, but Acura stopped talking drag with the 1G TSX and 3G TL. This is not to say they're not focused on it, but they're not talking specs anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
Acura_Dude (11-21-2014), justnspace (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Do some research.
Dude, I have a six speed manual TL with brembos.
the 3rd gen TL does have the aspec package.
which in fact, increased performance with a body kit that lowered Coefficient drag. lowering springs and other enhancements.

because like Colin stated, Acura doesnt release specs any more, so there might not be any improvements with the aspec package to the ILX.
or there could be but its so slight, that its not worth mentioning in press release.

like are you reading and seeing what every one else is reading and seeing?

Last edited by justnspace; 11-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

It's rated at 4 hp more and does have dual exhaust but those hardly qualify as a performance increase.

I'd need to see a link to proof of the different steering and suspension - it's my understanding those are identical across the Accord line.

Cheers!
Here you go:
2015 Accord Sedan Specifcations & Features - Accord - Honda News
Accord = 13.23 steering ratio
Sport = 13.41 steering ratio

Stabilizer bars are the same for both, brakes are .04" larger for the Sport. Curb weight is up by ~70 lbs and the weight distribution is 1% better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
Acura_Dude (11-21-2014), iamitman (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Colin
Here you go:
2015 Accord Sedan Specifcations & Features - Accord - Honda News
Accord = 13.23 steering ratio
Sport = 13.41 steering ratio

Stabilizer bars are the same for both, brakes are .04" larger for the Sport. Curb weight is up by ~70 lbs and the weight distribution is 1% better.
Ah - thanks for that.

It looks like the suspension is the same though - so very minor improvement over the LX in brakes and steering ratio.

I submit it rides different than the others due to the larger wheels though - I don't know that anyone could tell the difference otherwise.

That said - it is the best looking Accord out of the entire line IMO.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Racer

Cheers!
"So, what about the 2013 Honda Accord Sport? Is it a genuinely sporty sedan? In a world of sport "appearance packages," the Accord Sport is, thankfully, the real deal. The Sport trim does look different, but even most cosmetic differences net real performance enhancements. Upgrades include 18-inch wheels, fog lights, dual chrome exhaust outlets and a trunk mounted spoiler. Hidden upgrades include stiffer suspension, sportier steering and a stiffer strut tower bar. Inside, Sport versions of the Accord get a 10-way power driver's seat and paddle shifters for CVT equipped cars."

2013 Honda Accord Sport: Real World Test - AutoTrader.com

And direct from Honda's website about the steering:

Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock LX 2.54 SPORT 2.46 EX,EX-L,V6 2.55
Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Racer

Ah - thanks for that.

It looks like the suspension is the same though - so very minor improvement over the LX in brakes and steering ratio.

I submit it rides different than the others due to the larger wheels though - I don't know that anyone could tell the difference otherwise.

That said - it is the best looking Accord out of the entire line IMO.
The Wheels make a huge difference because tires have less sidewall to flex 45 profile and are much wider at 235 width.

LX and Sport have different springs than the rest of the lineup. LX lack front strut tower.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 PM

"So, what about the 2013 Honda Accord Sport? Is it a genuinely sporty sedan? In a world of sport "appearance packages," the Accord Sport is, thankfully, the real deal. The Sport trim does look different, but even most cosmetic differences net real performance enhancements. Upgrades include 18-inch wheels, fog lights, dual chrome exhaust outlets and a trunk mounted spoiler. Hidden upgrades include stiffer suspension, sportier steering and a stiffer strut tower bar. Inside, Sport versions of the Accord get a 10-way power driver's seat and paddle shifters for CVT equipped cars."

2013 Honda Accord Sport: Real World Test - AutoTrader.com

And direct from Honda's website about the steering:

Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock LX 2.54 SPORT 2.46 EX,EX-L,V6 2.55
Very well - I stand corrected!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Instructor

According to Tyson's blog, the blue car was the A-Spec, the silver regular but with option wheels. No word so far on what the stock wheels will look like.

I'd imagine the decklid spoiler will improve Cd, but Acura stopped talking drag with the 1G TSX and 3G TL. This is not to say they're not focused on it, but they're not talking specs anymore.
just watched the YT video. I'm assuming these are the base wheels?
Attached Thumbnails 2016 ILX unveiled! with Jewel Eyes and A-Spec trim!-capture.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by EzeE1o:
Acura_Dude (11-21-2014), Colin (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks. Not a fan of directional wheels unless they make mirror image ones, but I've lived with it before in th old '99 GS-R and could live with that.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Instructor

hmm has there ever been a case where a wheel manufacturer made a mirror image of a blade-looking wheel?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
hmm has there ever been a case where a wheel manufacturer made a mirror image of a blade-looking wheel?
Yes. What first comes to mind is Luxury Abstract. Very high end forged stuff. They strive to make their own unique designs, many patent pending.

Their Jungo faces are directional and have a pair for the driver side and a pair for the passenger side.
So for the guys that stagger those wheels, each wheel is specifically made for a specific corner of the car.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Yes. What first comes to mind is Luxury Abstract. Very high end forged stuff. They strive to make their own unique designs, many patent pending.

Their Jungo faces are directional and have a pair for the driver side and a pair for the passenger side.
So for the guys that stagger those wheels, each wheel is specifically made for a specific corner of the car.
hehe, ok let me rephrase...has a car manufacturer had OEM wheels on a stock car that where mirror images on each side
Old 11-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
hehe, ok let me rephrase...has a car manufacturer had OEM wheels on a stock car that where mirror images on each side
Actually yes, the 1G 3.2 TL had mirror image directional.
The following users liked this post:
EzeE1o (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The car looks great with mid cycle refresh but for two things. 1- no 6 speed man trans
2- exposed exhaust tips. Acura still does not get it!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Instructor

i can totally see why acura dropped the 6MT, and am just thankful they stuck it out this long in even offering a manual in their line. my thoughts, maybe the customer base who would buy a 6MT car would rather buy them used rather than new?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
^^ Thanks. Not a fan of directional wheels unless they make mirror image ones, but I've lived with it before in th old '99 GS-R and could live with that.
Agreed 100%. I dislike directionals, unless they "point" the same direction (i.e. spokes toward the rear of the car) on both sides. I brought up the point with a couple of 'official' Acura people (a public relations guy, and someone from the ad agency) and they agreed with me. The ad guy said the directional nature of the wheels can throw things off if they ever have a photoshoot and need to invert the image of the car for some reason. The PR guy said, "If design is so important, why would they allow the wheel direction to be inconsistent?" I remember my 1991 Prelude Si's 14" sawblade wheels had designated left & right sides. That's the way to do it, but inevitably people mix & match the wheels and it looks awkward.

Haven't had time to catch all the dialogue in this thread, but I will confirm that yes the blue car was announced as the A-SPEC.
Acura_Dude (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I think Acura did a great job on the MMC. As a package it is a much more appealing car than the intro-ILX. It also shows Acura's commitment to improve their cars even if it doesn't meet with 100% of everyone's desires on here. Few could argue it is a much better car. If the ILX launched in a configuration closer to this I think it would have a much better reputation. I realize some of the tech didn't exist then, but they certainly could have made the intro-ILX closer to this. In time I think the MMC will restore the ILX reputation and a very good value in an entry level luxury sport sedan.

If they price it similar to where it is today, I kind of feel bad for those who bough the intro-ILX.

This was a good move Acura. A move in the right direction.

I think the fact that they changed the drive train and electronics along with what appears to be a long list of design enhancements means that we can expect a similarly significant MMC of the RDX. I will look forward to that. The TLX is at the top of my list, but an RDX Advance might make me reconsider it.

It also shows there could well be a TLX A-Spec or more likely a TLX-S coming.
silverTL6 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Tyson, you said the blue ILX was the A-Spec model. So the directional wheels are the standard ones on A-Spec. The silver car has option wheels, did they show the 'stock' rims for non-A-Spec models?
So the release date is early 2015. What does that mean. How early? Wonder if i should get TLX or hold out for ILX
Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

So...
All ILX models can be equipped with the AcuraWatch™ ...includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist System, a Multi-View Rear Camera with Dynamic Guidelines, as well as Road Departure Mitigation and an enhanced Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (including Forward Collision Warning)
Are we to infer that the regular trim (ILX, Premium and Tech) no longer include the back up camera as standard?

Also...
The Tech Plus grade with AcuraWatch™ and embedded Acura Navigation add a color Multi-information Display (MID) between the tachometer and speedometer, Siri Eyes Free and ELS premium audio system
Does this mean you now have to buy a Tech to get Siri Eyes Free and it can no longer be added to the other trims?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rommel Orellana
So the release date is early 2015. What does that mean. How early? Wonder if i should get TLX or hold out for ILX
Nobody knows at this point.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Are we to infer that the regular trim (ILX, Premium and Tech) no longer include the back up camera as standard?
Well, don't worry, by 2018 the law will require backup cameras be standard.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:22 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by xedap1998
I think I will settle for the premium or premium+aspec depends on the price and how the 17 inches look on the ILX
Pretty sure these are the base wheels, since the others look like 18's. Overall the new ILX wheels look better designed than the TLX's (except for the optional ones). Maybe because they share that angled spoke design with the TLX prototype...

2016 ILX unveiled! with Jewel Eyes and A-Spec trim!-ajqrg10.png
2016 ILX unveiled! with Jewel Eyes and A-Spec trim!-718ce39.png
Old 11-22-2014, 05:11 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
So...

I took this to mean that you just get the standard back up camera, I can't imagine they would take it away all together.

Quick Reply: 2016 ILX unveiled! with Jewel Eyes and A-Spec trim!