*** Recall Notice - 2013-16 Acura ILX; Driver Airbag Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
*** Recall Notice - 2013-16 Acura ILX; Driver Airbag Issue

Just got a recall notice in the mail today regarding my 2013 ILX. It says that certain 2013-16 ILX's are affected.

Specifically, in some vehicles, the driver's front airbag inflator could produce excessive internal pressure upon deployment. If an affected airbag deploys, the increased internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture (break apart) and deploy abnormally. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material possibly causing serious injury or fatality to you or others in the vehicle. Past ruptures like this have killed and injured vehicle drivers.
And what's more:

The remedy parts needed to conduct airbag inflator replacements will become available in the Summer of 2016. Acura will send you another letter when parts become available to repair your vehicle.
Great news, just in time for my cross-country drive....

Anyone else get this?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah, this has been reported here in the forums Jan 30th, here: https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...letins-925222/

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-010.PDF
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. Wonder why it took so long for the notice to get to me?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've only received the noticed from the dealership this week too.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
We haven't received ours yet but we are in Canada....I guess they don't care about our safety
Old 03-20-2016, 01:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
You guys all living under rocks? The Takata airbag thing has been all over the news for a year or so.

There are no parts so you can either get a loaner, drive the potential deathtrap (although these cars are much too new to have this issue) or talk Acura into buying your car at full retail and sell you a 16 at real dealer cost.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I don't live under a rock...I am FULLY aware of the recall, in fact, if you remember, I was the one who told you about the stop order. What I was saying is that Acura Canada has not sent an official notice to its owners yet stating there is a recall....Doesn't mean that I can't call them and find out what they will offer but the car is not being driven because of the winter weather but I'll be there (dealer) in 2 weeks and will talk to them.

https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...recall-941649/
Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello all, i also received the notice for the recall, went to the dealer where i bought the car and they had no rentals available , ended up going to the acura dealer by my job, got in at 8am,l got picked up by enterprise at 8:45 and off and driving in a brand new Impala with 4G and push start and all the goodies by 9am...they wanted to be sure i was going to be comfortable for the long term rental, Acura of Delray and enterprise are making sure customers are happy...and I am happy, not happy that i am not driving my car, but happy with the temporary situation fix...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...good luck to all you out there...better safe than sorry...slight chance of getting hurt but you dont want to be the first in an Acura or worse your family member with you in the car getting hurt...
Old 03-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I don't live under a rock...I am FULLY aware of the recall, in fact, if you remember, I was the one who told you about the stop order. What I was saying is that Acura Canada has not sent an official notice to its owners yet stating there is a recall....Doesn't mean that I can't call them and find out what they will offer but the car is not being driven because of the winter weather but I'll be there (dealer) in 2 weeks and will talk to them.

Might be wise to check that they have your correct address. I'm also in Canada have two Acura vehicles and have received both notifications. First about a month ago and the second about two weeks ago.
The following users liked this post:
weather (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks. They should as I get regular service reminders etc. I am at the dealer next week so I'll stop by and inquire.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenv
Hello all, i also received the notice for the recall, went to the dealer where i bought the car and they had no rentals available , ended up going to the acura dealer by my job, got in at 8am,l got picked up by enterprise at 8:45 and off and driving in a brand new Impala with 4G and push start and all the goodies by 9am...they wanted to be sure i was going to be comfortable for the long term rental, Acura of Delray and enterprise are making sure customers are happy...and I am happy, not happy that i am not driving my car, but happy with the temporary situation fix...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...good luck to all you out there...better safe than sorry...slight chance of getting hurt but you dont want to be the first in an Acura or worse your family member with you in the car getting hurt...
Wow so they're fully paying for a rental car for you until a fix is available? That sure sounds like a sweet deal to me...way to save some miles/maintenance/etc on your own car.

I realize the safety risk, but I still wonder, what are the actual statistics on inflators that do end up harming people after they go off?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently received my recall notice in the mail and after contacting two acura dealerships regarding the recall here are my results:
The first dealership strongly dismissed the safety issue of the Air Bag and explained the recall was only a "public service announcement". The second dealership addressed the issue and has offered to set me up with a rental car tomorrow. Acura says they will record the milage to ensure my car is not driven over the period in which I have the rental. After talking with the first dealership it seems irresponsible to dismiss the possible deaths or injuries driving our cars may cause. I decided on the rental because I'm 21 and if there is even the slightest risk that I may live the rest of my life blind or seriously injured etc..the risk is simply not worth it. I will update y'all on the rental process.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Technically you can get a rental from Acura until the available part comes out summer 16
Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cm18cam
I recently received my recall notice in the mail and after contacting two acura dealerships regarding the recall here are my results:
The first dealership strongly dismissed the safety issue of the Air Bag and explained the recall was only a "public service announcement". The second dealership addressed the issue and has offered to set me up with a rental car tomorrow. Acura says they will record the milage to ensure my car is not driven over the period in which I have the rental. After talking with the first dealership it seems irresponsible to dismiss the possible deaths or injuries driving our cars may cause. I decided on the rental because I'm 21 and if there is even the slightest risk that I may live the rest of my life blind or seriously injured etc..the risk is simply not worth it. I will update y'all on the rental process.
So I just my loaner, unfortunately it's a dumpy Passat. No backup camera or anything like my ilx. Looks like I'm gonna be disappointed for a few months of driving
Old 03-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cm18cam
So I just my loaner, unfortunately it's a dumpy Passat. No backup camera or anything like my ilx. Looks like I'm gonna be disappointed for a few months of driving
I went on Friday to get mine and at first they tried to give me a friggin Dodge Dart. I was sooooo pissed! While looking over it though, one side of it was completely scraped up and then I noticed one of the rims was pretty messed up from hitting a curb, so I got down to inspect it and noticed the sidewall over the tire was sliced too. So luckily they couldn't give me that car... on our way back inside I notice a newer Jetta now in the parking lot and they tried to offer me a Chrystler 200. I told them I don't want anything Dodge related and asked about the Jetta and they go--- "Oh! That literally just came back in! We can definitely clean it and give it to you". Ironically from the time we were out there looking at the Dart to the time we walked back inside, someone was returning it. So I definitely lucked out.

I really, really like the Jetta. It has the new 1.8 TSI engine in it and man, the torque in this thing makes me ILX feel slow. It's pretty sad actually. The car has push button start, heated seats, and a back up camera so it's really not bad at all... I miss my automatic headlights and not having to take my keys out of my pocket to unlock the car though. Other than those few things though, I really enjoy driving the Jetta. But unfortunately for me, I noticed a bubble in one of the tires on the Jetta, so I've gotta return it today. I just can't win...
Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
I received the notice but have not been told parts are available yet. Meanwhile no concerns about driving the car. It has 159,000 miles on it. I feel like if something was defective it would have already failed.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I received the notice but have not been told parts are available yet. Meanwhile no concerns about driving the car. It has 159,000 miles on it. I feel like if something was defective it would have already failed.
An interesting perspective... While I am not to personally concerned about all this, the problem only occurs IF the air bag is deployed. It doesn't matter how many miles you have on your car without the air bag ever going off. If the problem is going to be seen, it is when you are in an accident that triggers the air bag.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Waldo87
I went on Friday to get mine and at first they tried to give me a friggin Dodge Dart. I was sooooo pissed! While looking over it though, one side of it was completely scraped up and then I noticed one of the rims was pretty messed up from hitting a curb, so I got down to inspect it and noticed the sidewall over the tire was sliced too. So luckily they couldn't give me that car... on our way back inside I notice a newer Jetta now in the parking lot and they tried to offer me a Chrystler 200. I told them I don't want anything Dodge related and asked about the Jetta and they go--- "Oh! That literally just came back in! We can definitely clean it and give it to you". Ironically from the time we were out there looking at the Dart to the time we walked back inside, someone was returning it. So I definitely lucked out.

I really, really like the Jetta. It has the new 1.8 TSI engine in it and man, the torque in this thing makes me ILX feel slow. It's pretty sad actually. The car has push button start, heated seats, and a back up camera so it's really not bad at all... I miss my automatic headlights and not having to take my keys out of my pocket to unlock the car though. Other than those few things though, I really enjoy driving the Jetta. But unfortunately for me, I noticed a bubble in one of the tires on the Jetta, so I've gotta return it today. I just can't win...
I hear what you are saying about the torque this passat can fly, but the whole car is just so hard to park (I have a Suburban I can park better) and its a bottom trim level. Enterprise literally had nothing when I went, but I had to have it today since I went back to school. Maybe it'll grow on me.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Originally Posted by RenoTL
An interesting perspective... While I am not to personally concerned about all this, the problem only occurs IF the air bag is deployed. It doesn't matter how many miles you have on your car without the air bag ever going off. If the problem is going to be seen, it is when you are in an accident that triggers the air bag.
Yes, a very interesting (and very naïve) perspective.

While it is unlikely that your airbag will actually send shrapnel into your face following an accident, the question remains - do you (and your passengers) want to take that risk?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi everyone!

I received the recall notice 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2014 ILX--it's a 3 year lease that ends in 5 months. I've been very unhappy with the ILX, mainly due to the size being much smaller than I anticipated. Also, in July 2014, I was rear ended, and that robbed me of my usual choices (trade in, etc.). I wasn't properly reimbursed for diminished value because the car is a lease.

Prior to the recall notice, due to the "frame" damage history, my only option was to turn it in. However, this recall just might provide me a little bit of leverage. I did the math--if I get a loaner from April until the end of June, that's $2700 (based on $30 a day). I owe $1600 (including the next payment of $320 which is due 4/15).

Does anyone have any advice on what I could say to Acura that would be a fair way for me to move on to another new vehicle (either RDX or MDX)?

The repairs for the 2014 collision weren't done very well (in my opinion), so the first thing I'd want to make sure is that I'm not dinged for anything related to wear and tear, etc. Would it be unrealistic for me to ask them to take the car as is and waive the $1600 in payments I have left?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sunnyflower
Hi everyone!

I have a 2014 ILX--it's a 3 year lease that ends in 5 months. I've been very unhappy with the ILX, mainly due to the size being much smaller than I anticipated. Also, in July 2014, I was rear ended, and that robbed me of my usual choices (trade in, etc.). I wasn't properly reimbursed for diminished value because the car is a lease.

Prior to the recall notice, due to the "frame" damage history, my only option was to turn it in. However, this recall just might provide me a little bit of leverage. I did the math--if I get a loaner from April until the end of June, that's $2700 (based on $30 a day). I owe $1600 (including the next payment of $320 which is due 4/15).

Does anyone have any advice on what I could say to Acura that would be a fair way for me to move on to another new vehicle (either RDX or MDX)?

The repairs for the 2014 collision weren't done very well (in my opinion), so the first thing I'd want to make sure is that I'm not dinged for anything related to wear and tear, etc. Would it be unrealistic for me to ask them to take the car as is and waive the $1600 in payments I have left?
So from the sound of the condition of your ILX, I highly doubt they're going to help you out at all when it comes to upgrading to a new lease. You can try and talk to your sales rep and see what they offer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

And as far as the remaining payments go, Acura is not going to help at all while you're in your loaner vehicle. I've already fought with them... a lot! See my posts in this thread:

If your sales rep isn't able to help at all to get you out of the remaining 5mo. on your lease and into a new one and you really want to stick with Acura, I'd say you'll just have to wait and see what kind of new lease deals are out there once yours is up.

This airbag recall and the way that Honda/Acura has been treating me is honestly my last straw with them. Sadly I have 2 more years left in my 2016 ILX lease, but once it's up I'll definitely be going elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sunnyflower
Hi everyone!

Was the repair done at the dealership bodyshop? If so then the quality of repair is their problem.

Advice to anyone with a lease and an accident: Always have the repairs done at the dealership bodyshop. That way they can't complain about the quality of the repair.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo87
So from the sound of the condition of your ILX, I highly doubt they're going to help you out at all when it comes to upgrading to a new lease. You can try and talk to your sales rep and see what they offer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

And as far as the remaining payments go, Acura is not going to help at all while you're in your loaner vehicle. I've already fought with them... a lot! See my posts in this thread:

If your sales rep isn't able to help at all to get you out of the remaining 5mo. on your lease and into a new one and you really want to stick with Acura, I'd say you'll just have to wait and see what kind of new lease deals are out there once yours is up.

This airbag recall and the way that Honda/Acura has been treating me is honestly my last straw with them. Sadly I have 2 more years left in my 2016 ILX lease, but once it's up I'll definitely be going elsewhere.
Waldo - No need to answer me on the other thread haha.. too bad about the Jetta.. that sounded like a decent replacement vehicle. I'm still in my '16 Focus, due to some travel requirements for work, i've put quite a few miles on her in the last month (4k miles) better than on my leased Acura I guess haha - then again, I would have probably just gotten a rental car through work.

I'm sure i'm due for an oil change soon, so I may have to go back to Enterprise and see what they can offer me. Maybe I can hold out and go back in when they have a new Jetta in stock.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fox137
Waldo - No need to answer me on the other thread haha.. too bad about the Jetta.. that sounded like a decent replacement vehicle. I'm still in my '16 Focus, due to some travel requirements for work, i've put quite a few miles on her in the last month (4k miles) better than on my leased Acura I guess haha - then again, I would have probably just gotten a rental car through work.

I'm sure i'm due for an oil change soon, so I may have to go back to Enterprise and see what they can offer me. Maybe I can hold out and go back in when they have a new Jetta in stock.
Sorry! Saw the other thread before this so I replied haha

They changed the tire while I waited so I still have the Jetta. While I was waiting they actually gave out another Jetta too. Mines dark gray and the other one was red.

The oil light kept showing every time I started the Jetta so I asked them if they could change the oil while replacing the tire and they said there was no need because they replace the oil more often than its required. Whatever though... It's not my car so, who cares haha. I did have to look up online how to reset the oil life meter though. That was annoying! Damn Germans make everything complicated.