What universal remote?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
What universal remote?

I searched and the last post was from 2009 so I figured there could be newer remotes!

Below is what my setup looks like. I never took a picture of the finished product, I promise it looks cleaner, and more nice.

As you can see I have 2 TVs on the left, cable box below them, receiver below that. Then in the middle I have a HTPC which has it's own remote, below that is the 360 & router (the 2nd cable box is no longer there). Then of course I have the big TV.

All together I have 3 TVs, 1 cable box, 1 receiver, 1 HTPC, 1 360.

What remote should I get to control everything?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend the Harmony remotes. I've had my 880 for a few years now and its fantastic.

Your set up is...interesting. Do you ever use more than one tv at a time, and would you need to be able to control multiple tvs at the same time? If that's the case, the Harmony probably wouldn't be right for you. The activity based set up maps the remote and codes based on what you're doing at the time. Sets the remote to transmit to a certain tv, certain audio device, etc and sets inputs on all equipment. But if you're going to be using 1 TV for something and another TV for something else, the Harmony turns into a bit of a pain. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one that will allow for multiples of the same device....
Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Harmony. It will also control your HTPC.

And three TVs is fucking weird.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Bent = #1

Should have mentioned what I do. The multiple TVs are for sports..

Main TV: ESPN
2nd TV: ESPN2
3rd TV: ABC

The receiver right now is connected to all 3 TVs, so I can hear the audio of any TV through my speakers. The bottom TV on the left is also hooked up to my HTPC, so when I have ESPN3.com active I put that on the TV.

My problems that I'm trying to solve are:

1) The comcast remote can only change the receiver to Video 1, Tape 1, Tape 2 (yes it's old). So I have TV 2 & TV 3 hooked up to Tape 1, Tape 2. The only way to change the receiver to audio from the HTPC is to get up and change it.
2) The comcast remote doesn't have a spot to operate the 2 left TVs, so I have to use the remotes that came with those TVs to change the channels.
3) If possible, not necessary I'd like the remote to replace the HTPC remote also just so I can consolidate into 1 remote.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Harmony. It will also control your HTPC.

And three TVs is fucking weird.
It's for football season
Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

Harmony is still going to be your best bet, you can change which TV you are controlling by hitting the device switch, then the appropriate source. You can set the volume to control the receiver no matter what source you are controlling.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Harmony One

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ i absolutely love my Harmony one. The setup of the remote is done on a computer and transferred via mini usb. It can control anything with an ir. I control my a/c split unit with this remote.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the Harmony One and it works great for all my components. It should cover your needs too.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Damn you have a serious TV addiction. I agree with going with the Harmony. Love the woodwork, BTW.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Will even harmony allow for multiple TV's? I know they're highly customizable bit will it allow you to do a Watch TV1, Watch TV2, Watch TV3 etc?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Stole this from a logitech forum:

My question is this, is it possible to hook up 4 TV's and 4 cable boxes in the same room and use this remote? I've done some searching and can't find the answer to this. I guess the remote would have to be able to code 4 tvs and 4 boxes separately and the only product I could find that would do this is the Universal Remote MFR 350 and their MX series remotes. If anyone has any info they could share with me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Lee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly. And the answer is Yes. In fact three of our remotes can do this, the Harmony 890, Harmony 1000, and Harmony 1100.

The answer is because of the RF Wireless Extender (which is sold seperately for the 1000, & 1100).

All devices receive every IR signal a remote sends out, so 4 idential devices would all respond at the same time. If you want or need only one of the 4 to respond, then you need to isolate that signal to only that device. The RF Wireless Extender can do this with the IR Wireless & IR boots that cover the sensor.

You can assign the devices to specific ports and wires. 8 Devices can be assigned to 1 RF Wireless Extender, so you can assign each TV/Cablebox to a port A-D. The wires themselves are not that long, so if these TV's & Cableboxes are strung around a room, then you will need to extend/splice the wires yourself. (we don't provide technical support on this, or will troubleshoot wires that were changed, but it does work as many home installers will tell you)
RF remote to wireless extender/blaster is what I think they are doing here.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Bent = #1

^So that is the only way to do it? Or could I assign TV1 to the main, TV2 to the upper left and TV3 to the bottom left?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Ugh, more Harmony fanboys. Harmony is like the Yugo of the remote world. It can do some basic functions, in the right hands can do some more advanced stuff, but can't touch a real universal. You setup absolutely, 100% should be on a RF system. You run a emitter to each tv, and can assign the emitters in programming. That way when you send the signal for say TV1 on, it ONLY sends the signal to TV1. Even if TV2 is the same make and model and uses the same codes, it will not turn on as the signal is not being sent to that TV. I always recommend Universal Remote Control. RTI and AMX also make amazing remotes, but are only sold through a Custom Installer and you would not have access. URC you can buy yourself, but you have to be wary of whether you are purchasing from a authorized retailer.

As a side note, Harmony had the highest failure rating of any remotes we have dealt with BY FAR out of any brand. They are the least configurable, the cheapest feel, with the most questionable support. What I will give them is they are easier to program if you have a very basic system for the average user.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
Ugh, more Harmony fanboys. Harmony is like the Yugo of the remote world. It can do some basic functions, in the right hands can do some more advanced stuff, but can't touch a real universal. You setup absolutely, 100% should be on a RF system. You run a emitter to each tv, and can assign the emitters in programming. That way when you send the signal for say TV1 on, it ONLY sends the signal to TV1. Even if TV2 is the same make and model and uses the same codes, it will not turn on as the signal is not being sent to that TV. I always recommend Universal Remote Control. RTI and AMX also make amazing remotes, but are only sold through a Custom Installer and you would not have access. URC you can buy yourself, but you have to be wary of whether you are purchasing from a authorized retailer.

As a side note, Harmony had the highest failure rating of any remotes we have dealt with BY FAR out of any brand. They are the least configurable, the cheapest feel, with the most questionable support. What I will give them is they are easier to program if you have a very basic system for the average user.
Which model do you recommend and would I need only 3 remitters (1 for each TV, none for the other components)?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Which model do you recommend and would I need only 3 remitters (1 for each TV, none for the other components)?
It really depends on what price point you want to be at. I have found the MX900 to be a VERY reliable remote. It does not have a touch or color screen. If you want flashy you have to go with a more expensive remote. You have to program it yourself, and I could help you with that, which many find to be a downside. The upside is you learn exactly how your remote works because you are the one building the file and telling it what to do.

Coupled with the remote you would need the rf base. The MRF350 would be the base to go with. It comes with 6 emitters and 6 individual ports. You can adjust the intensity of each port as well as assign them in the software. If you need more emitters if you choose to do all the equipment, then you can get more and splice them together. The only thing to keep in mind is not to splice two sources together that use the same codes (i.e. the two identical tv's). That would negate the whole purpose of using the RF as the same codes would go to both after assigning. I personally would put all the equipment on RF, so if you are not pointing the remote at the time it is running through it's macro and sending the codes, it will still do everything properly.

There is also a narrow band version that costs the same if you have any RF interference in your home. It is the MX900i and you would have to get the MRF350i.

Either of these combos will not only work really well and teach you about how your remote works, but will be very reliable. It will cost you more then a Harmony, and it considered more of a pro line. I could get you one if you want. Do some research online if you want to go that route, and shop around. PM me with what prices you found. If I can get you a better deal, I'd be happy to and ship it to you.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Ask anyone here, including myself, how well their harmony remotes have worked for them for years.

It's not a rocket science setup....and can be done easily with "over the counter" harmony gear......as I posted above.

To the OP: Get a Harmony RF remote and IR wireless extender(s) & boots.
So simple a caveman can do it for his man cave.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Ask anyone here, including myself, how well their harmony remotes have worked for them for years.

It's not a rocket science setup....and can be done easily with "over the counter" harmony gear......as I posted above.

To the OP: Get a Harmony RF remote and IR wireless extender(s) & boots.
So simple a caveman can do it for his man cave.
Ask any installer who has dealt with them on a large scale about their failure rate. The numbers will not lie. I am glad your remotes have worked for you for years, as they should. The fact remains that it is not the case in MANY instances. And as I said, with a simple setup, its fine. When you start adding some out of the ordinary factors and they become quite difficult to program.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Ask any installer who has dealt with them on a large scale about their failure rate. The numbers will not lie. I am glad your remotes have worked for you for years, as they should. The fact remains that it is not the case in MANY instances. And as I said, with a simple setup, its fine. When you start adding some out of the ordinary factors and they become quite difficult to program.
IIRC, you are a salesperson for some fairly high end equipment, no?

Harmonys work fine. I've used several, and have had zero issues. They are also pretty well equipped for the average consumer. For RF, there's a couple for that as well.

Just because we've used something and have had great success doesn't mean we're fanboys.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Exactly. We stick with what works. If harmony was horrible, we would all bail out and get something else.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
IIRC, you are a salesperson for some fairly high end equipment, no?

Harmonys work fine. I've used several, and have had zero issues. They are also pretty well equipped for the average consumer. For RF, there's a couple for that as well.

Just because we've used something and have had great success doesn't mean we're fanboys.
I don't classify myself as a salesperson. I am a custom installer. Until recently I never did any sales, only installs. Only since I launched my own company at the beginning of this year have I done any sales. If you searched back before that, you'd see I have the same reviews back then that I do now of the Harmony's. I was a fan of them at first, until we got into more complex systems and especially after trouble call after trouble call due to broken, malfunctioning or completely dead Harmony's. I have had ONE trouble call due to a URC in the same amount of time, and that is cause a dog literally ate the remote. I have a picture of it somewhere actually, quite funny.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

It's all anecdotal. I've seen time and time again these 'infamous' pieces of hardware that are reported to have a bad rep, but I don't have any issues with them. And neither do the majority of the users.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I don't classify myself as a salesperson. I am a custom installer. Until recently I never did any sales, only installs. Only since I launched my own company at the beginning of this year have I done any sales. If you searched back before that, you'd see I have the same reviews back then that I do now of the Harmony's. I was a fan of them at first, until we got into more complex systems and especially after trouble call after trouble call due to broken, malfunctioning or completely dead Harmony's. I have had ONE trouble call due to a URC in the same amount of time, and that is cause a dog literally ate the remote. I have a picture of it somewhere actually, quite funny.
^ After having to deal with 2 harmony remotes, I can understand what you mean. My Harmony one's have been plauged with issues. The one I got for my parents is horrible. All it needs to do is turn on the tv and box and set the input to the right one, however the battery has died in it 3x now and all of those times it was stuck inside because of the battery expansion problems they have had. As well I've had to reprogram it countless times since it freezes or stops working completely.

On my harmony, I have a TV, Xbox, 2 top boxes, ps3, reciever, etc that all needs to be handled. I set it up once and it's worked fairly well execept that every time I need to program it, I have to call up logitech to setup the discrete codes for my TV.

The only problem I have with UCR is that you need an installer to program it and set it up for you. I like to do to things myself and learn, not pay someone do to it!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
^ After having to deal with 2 harmony remotes, I can understand what you mean. My Harmony one's have been plauged with issues. The one I got for my parents is horrible. All it needs to do is turn on the tv and box and set the input to the right one, however the battery has died in it 3x now and all of those times it was stuck inside because of the battery expansion problems they have had. As well I've had to reprogram it countless times since it freezes or stops working completely.

On my harmony, I have a TV, Xbox, 2 top boxes, ps3, reciever, etc that all needs to be handled. I set it up once and it's worked fairly well execept that every time I need to program it, I have to call up logitech to setup the discrete codes for my TV.

The only problem I have with UCR is that you need an installer to program it and set it up for you. I like to do to things myself and learn, not pay someone do to it!
You actually can program a URC on your own. There is a learning curve of course. If you purchase your remote from an authorized retailer then you should get a copy of the software with it.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
While I have no doubt 2001AudiS4 knows what's he's talking about. I'd be interested to see the the remote that does what the Harmony 700 I just picked up does for $75. And has setup that's as easy as Logitech's software.