in-wall speakers

Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
in-wall speakers

So we got a new house and the family room won't look good with my current floor speakers so I'm thinking that some decent in-wall speakers should do the trick.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to break the bank since we're doing a lot of remodeling ($$$$$) BUT movie/tv watching is important to us and thus, we (read: I) want the sound quality to be as nice as my budget will allow.

I don't think I want to spend more than $250-$300 per speaker (want a 5.1 setup) but I'd be happy to spend less.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I put speakers in my dining room, garage, and living room (in the walls). Since I live in a one-story house, it was easy to run speaker wire through the ceiling and down the walls. Just make sure you get the wall-rated speaker wire that is flame retardant, not just the regular speaker wire. You will want either two cable or four cable speaker wire.

As for the enclosure, make a simple speaker enclosure with speaker cotton inside the enclosure. Seal it up with caulk to ensure good quality. Basically make a box with the only opening the speaker outlet.

As for the speakers, I did not spend a lot of money on speakers. I'm more worried about the enclosure for the speaker itself. I bought my 5 speakers off eBay for about $60. The fronts were 8 X 10s, while the rears and sides were 6 x 8s.

I painted the front of the grills, and now people that are not accustomed to my house are pleasantly surprised when they hear awesome sound coming from the walls (yes, even the rears are in the walls and not in the ceiling - never understood that).
Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I plan on doing this: https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/new-take-wall-speakers-778865/

Waiting for our custom television cabinet to be built (can't rush the Amish) then I plan to tackle it.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
This was the speaker I used for the dining room.

Hole for the speaker in the dining room:

The black speakers are where the in-wall speakers went.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
How big is your room? How is the setup? I could recommend a variety of budget speakers that will sound ok, depending on the room, and how keen your ear is. I ended up putting Speakercraft LCR3 Five's or LCR3 Three's in my house. I cannot remember which series I did, I order these a lot so the models get tossed around in my head a lot. These are great home theater speakers, not great for multizone audio. They are substantially smaller then a regular in wall speaker, which many find an attactive option. My gf did not want any speakers in the walls, so I offered a compromise and go with smaller speakers. She didn't realize that I was going to get these anyway rather then larger speakers :-D

They are not expensive, and coupled with a decent subwoofer will offer you great sound, out of a smaller speaker. This is the link to their website:

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=50

This is a quick picture I took a while back to show the difference in size to a standard in wall speaker and the Speakercraft LCR3 series: