Urgent- Amplifier/Mixer Help

Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Urgent- Amplifier/Mixer Help

Hey guys,

I need some audio help.

For my senior project, I’m planning to re-narrate a video that has rather poor narration (difficult to hear) and an audio background. The video is currently in VHS format and I intend for it to stay that way.

I have been loaned an older amplifier and mixer, along with a normal headphone/mic combination and an audio cable. I’m unsure of how to connect this set-up to make it work.

Here are some pictures of the equipment.

Mixer:

Amplifier:

Audio cables that I’ve been given so far:

Do I:

1. Connect audio source to Line one on the mixer. What kind of cable do I use?
2. Connect microphone to Line two “microphone” port. Do they make adapters for ¼” microphone ports?
3. Connect ¼” cable from output on mixer to “TAPE/TUNER” on the amplifier. Do they make ¼” audio to RCA audio adapters?
4. Connect “SPEAKERS” port on amplifier to the “AUDIO IN/OUT” port on my VCR.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Looks like microphone should go into Line-1, and VHS audio should go into Line-2, Line 3 could be new audio source, Line-4 could be second new audio source. Output should then go to the amplifier, then to the VCR. I honestly think your best bet is to digitize it, but you already said you dont want to do that.

I'm assuming this is you highschool senior project because i did this stuff in sophmore year. The equipment you have is not really adequate for what you want to do. Ideally you should have 2 of these with a editing board and mixer and 3 monitors.

I still think it would be way easier for you to find a friend with a tv in card and record it and edit in adobe premier or even windows movie maker, and when your done you can burn it to dvd so your teach will be able to continue using it for years to come.