Plasma Burn in?? - 4:3 Lines won't go away!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:21 AM
I hate the Mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasma Burn in?? - 4:3 Lines won't go away!

Two weeks ago I bought my first HD TV. A 50" Samsung Plasma - Up until today I loved it! I fell asleep for about 5 hours on the couch watching a show in 4:3. Now I can see a "shadow" of where the black side bars were. I kept the TV off for several hours and still I see th shadow.

Anthing I can do?

If I am screwed I will return the TV and make up an excuse why I don't like it, but naturally, I would prefer not to have to pack it all back up and lug it back..any suggestions?

Last edited by mc222; 11-25-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

I have a sammy plasma as well
I had a burn in scare once, just let it sit for a while, watched a few other shows and it was fine.
There is also something in the menu that will flash the screen white to get rid of lines.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Because Of You

It will go away after couple hours of full screen movies. You must have seated pretty close to the TV to notice it.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Kang Ho

Here are two resources for your samsung plasma:

http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index....splay_settings

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=841319

You should adjust your setting to minimize burn in.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
wrong section.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
there is a option in the menu that eliminates most of the burn in by showing a dot matrix and flashing different colors.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this same issue...I am trying this pixel shift an I hope it works
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I hate the Mets

I have adjusted the settings as suggested in the link posted above..Also, I ran the "break in" DVD over night last night and it seems like the lines have gone away...Crisis averted
Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
There are two different things, burn in and image retention. The burn in is typically permanent whereas the image retention is not permanently burnt in. In fact, watching normal 16x9 tv or dvd's will sometimes alleviate the issue.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Kang Ho

Good stuff
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Advanced

I would stay away from plasma. After 2 plasmas, I learned my lesson: LCD FTW, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:10 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Return it and get an LCD TV!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ReWritable
I would stay away from plasma. After 2 plasmas, I learned my lesson: LCD FTW, you get what you pay for.

You get what you pay for? How about user error. Plasma still surpasses LCD for image quality. I have dealt with hundreds of plasma tv's at least, without a single issue of burn in. Not one. If you don't pay attention, and are careless, then you will suffer the consequences. Somewhat like running your car with no antifreeze. Stupid engine blew up. I learned my lesson, bicycles from now on.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
You get what you pay for? How about user error. Plasma still surpasses LCD for image quality. I have dealt with hundreds of plasma tv's at least, without a single issue of burn in. Not one. If you don't pay attention, and are careless, then you will suffer the consequences. Somewhat like running your car with no antifreeze. Stupid engine blew up. I learned my lesson, bicycles from now on.

I agree...

Even the best LCD panels made today by Samsung with LED back lighting don't hold a candle to high end plasmas. What's also interesting is they're about the same price too. Why anyone would go high end LCD over high end plasma is beyond me.

Plasma's don't have any side angle viewing problems or motion blurring problems all LCDs have. The 120hz LCD scan rate trick didn't alleviate the persistent vision problem with LCD. The motion blurring has nothing to do with the response time of the panel so those numbers are about useless today. Most LCD units out can't display more than 30-40% of the NTSC color gamut. Shadow detail is horrible. Granted the Samsung LED TV pulls some tricks to achieve it's insane contrast ratio; it's a pointless measurement. In real world use it's no where close to their stated measurements. They measure the black with no video input... sure it's a great black. Set appears off; but honestly how often do you sit around watching an all black screen? The moment any video information is showed even something like stars the contrast ratio drops and all sorts of problems show up. Halos around objects, ghosts....

LCD TVs are just a flat screen fad at the moment... the technology isn't superior to any other TV technology in any picture quality fashion. It has a long way to go... it could possibly be excellent one day. But OLED is making huge waves already and it'll end up replacing LCD in the next 5-10 years. So by the time LCD matures it'll be obsolete.

To give an example of how TV technology went backwards. Even the high end plasmas are still compared to reference old school CRT displays. TV technology went seriously downhill when it went flat screen. Only the latest "Kuro" pioneer plasmas have come close to matching CRT quality. And they still fall a bit short. But if I were buying a flat screen TV today the "Kuro" series is the only way to go if you have the $$.

Sadly everyone wants a flat and cheap TV. So they sacrifice picture quality to get their flat *shiny* screens on their walls. (Kuro series is anything but a sacrifice)

Another rant... (sorry)

The shiny screen fad in the LCD market is nothing more than marketing. People like their TVs to be art in their house, unfortunately those stupid shiny screens do nothing but provide glare from any light behind the viewer. Who the hell wants a reflection off of their TV screen so it looks "pretty" when it's off... another MAJOR step backwards. I want view my TV, not everything reflecting off of it in the room.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by SiGGy

I agree...

Even the best LCD panels made today by Samsung with LED back lighting don't hold a candle to high end plasmas. What's also interesting is they're about the same price too. Why anyone would go high end LCD over high end plasma is beyond me.

Plasma's don't have any side angle viewing problems or motion blurring problems all LCDs have. The 120hz LCD scan rate trick didn't alleviate the persistent vision problem with LCD. The motion blurring has nothing to do with the response time of the panel so those numbers are about useless today. Most LCD units out can't display more than 30-40% of the NTSC color gamut. Shadow detail is horrible. Granted the Samsung LED TV pulls some tricks to achieve it's insane contrast ratio; it's a pointless measurement. In real world use it's no where close to their stated measurements. They measure the black with no video input... sure it's a great black. Set appears off; but honestly how often do you sit around watching an all black screen? The moment any video information is showed even something like stars the contrast ratio drops and all sorts of problems show up. Halos around objects, ghosts....

LCD TVs are just a flat screen fad at the moment... the technology isn't superior to any other TV technology in any picture quality fashion. It has a long way to go... it could possibly be excellent one day. But OLED is making huge waves already and it'll end up replacing LCD in the next 5-10 years. So by the time LCD matures it'll be obsolete.

To give an example of how TV technology went backwards. Even the high end plasmas are still compared to reference old school CRT displays. TV technology went seriously downhill when it went flat screen. Only the latest "Kuro" pioneer plasmas have come close to matching CRT quality. And they still fall a bit short. But if I were buying a flat screen TV today the "Kuro" series is the only way to go if you have the $$.

Sadly everyone wants a flat and cheap TV. So they sacrifice picture quality to get their flat *shiny* screens on their walls. (Kuro series is anything but a sacrifice)

Another rant... (sorry)

The shiny screen fad in the LCD market is nothing more than marketing. People like their TVs to be art in their house, unfortunately those stupid shiny screens do nothing but provide glare from any light behind the viewer. Who the hell wants a reflection off of their TV screen so it looks "pretty" when it's off... another MAJOR step backwards. I want view my TV, not everything reflecting off of it in the room.
FINALLY THE TRUTHHH