my 50 died, need recommendations

Old 11-25-2008 | 11:00 AM
Team Owner

So just to clarify you guys are saying that plasmas around $1000-1500 are probably crap compared to similarly priced LCD's? My 62" DLP I bought for $1500 a few years ago. I will purchase another TV in a few years and was just wondering as I'll probably never spend more than $2k.
Old 11-25-2008 | 11:04 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Doom878
So just to clarify you guys are saying that plasmas around $1000-1500 are probably crap compared to similarly priced LCD's? My 62" DLP I bought for $1500 a few years ago. I will purchase another TV in a few years and was just wondering as I'll probably never spend more than $2k.
In a few years...is too early to decide on anything.
Old 11-25-2008 | 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Plasma is done. And the only plasmas that were ever good were the high end models that were outrageously priced. Otherwise great black levels meant jack when a tv can barely handle gradation and noise. Which most plasmas were crap at doing.

The next gen of plasmas look pretty decent in the infant stages right now.. Curious to see the final product..
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:28 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Jonesi
The next gen of plasmas look pretty decent in the infant stages right now.. Curious to see the final product..
but there is no point. Pioneer - out of the game...sony - out of the game.

Why stick with plasma when there are better technologies on the horizon? LED LCD had met and exceeded. OLED exceeds. Laser, etc.

Plasma is a dead horse that videophiles who jumped into HD at the early stages just cant get over.
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Instead of a few years how about today to my above question?
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:39 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Doom878
Instead of a few years how about today to my above question?
LCD.

but the fact of the matter is its all subjective, which Ive also said before. My eyes hate 90% of the plasmas I see. I also work with HD a lot as part of my career and I'm used to seeing in many different formats and viewing methods.

Someone else will feel very different on the subject.
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Sigh,

Siggy we have been down this road before.

and I've said it before. The Samsung 950 delivers a Kuro picture. Side by side.

Plasma is done. And the only plasmas that were ever good were the high end models that were outrageously priced. Otherwise great black levels meant jack when a tv can barely handle gradation and noise. Which most plasmas were crap at doing.
Sigh? please...

Sorry but it's not...

Sub contrast
Color
Motion Resolution

Your Samsung LCD trails pretty far on all of the levels...

Then not to mention any of the blooming and other flaws the LCD LED backlights have. And off axis problems... LCD is still in it's infancy, if it wasn't they wouldn't be re-engineering the backlight technology every year, and trying to fix the motion resolution problems every year with different techniques.

Sorry, but no consumer grade LCD is equal to a elite Kuro Plasma... there's plenty of benchmarks by lots of *professionals* that say differently than your *opinion(s)*.

Show me one review that says your Samsung outperforms an Elite Kuro in motion resolution. Then another in *accurate* color reproduction, then another in sub contrast. These reviews don't exist; there are LCD zealots out there that claim it looks better in their opinion. But the sheer numbers from the actual benchmarks prove differently.

And honestly man, the *only* LCDs that are any good are the high end ones... just the same as the plasma's. We're comparing the creme of the crop, not the bottom of the barrel units.

What your saying is like trying to say Plasma and LCD have surpassed high end CRT quality displays, which just isn't the case. Plasma is close, but LCD has a ways to go to match CRT quality.

I too like the newer Sharp, Sony and Samsung LCD displays, but I wouldn't go around saying they are better than an Elite Plasma, that's just nonsense.... No benchmark has proven that to be true. Although I admit every year LCD gets closer, it seems with every new technology advancement they add in to improve PQ they take a few steps backwards in the other departments.

But this is like the early days of DLP, 3 color wheel, 5 color wheel, 7 color wheel, LED backlight, Laser Backlight, Multiple DLP chips with RGB primary colors.... Which technology bandwagon do you jump on?

Same problem exists with LCD... CFL backlights, Strobing CFL backlights, LED backlights, multi-color LED backlights, 32; 64; 128 array of LED backlights....
120hz,100hz,240hz; then choose your frame interpolation algorithm...

Then have you seen the studies on LED light degradation of color temperature and luminance over time? Most of the LED lights end up being blueish in color and not nearly as bright after only 30% of their rated life. So even your LED back light LCD will wash out over time and completely change color temperatures... Then since not every LED in the back light gets worn evenly you'll end up with a back light with uneven lighting/color temp...

Still too early for LCD, it's just not quite there yet.... well not enough to say it's equal to a Elite Kuro anyway.

p.s.

I don't own a plasma
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:46 PM
The Third Ball

watching a Samsung 950 right next to a elite kuro off the same HD feed. I could care less what pixel counters say.

The contrast, the image quality, blacks. They were both there on both sets. The quality was identical. I was with two other cameramen who had the same exact feelings. One of which bought the slightly older 850 model.

I never said CRT has been surpassed. We still use them in the field combined with LCDS.

And I think a cheaper LCD is better than a cheaper plasma. I could care less about the viewing angle. Cheap plasmas are noisy, artifact. color band. Cheap plasmas look like utter shit to me. At least a cheap LCD can squeek by with a passable image.

Again this is all subjective. And I only trust me what my eyes tell me. Much like the rest of you do.
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Why stick with plasma when there are better technologies on the horizon?

LED LCD had met and exceeded

OLED exceeds.

Laser
*sigh*

LED LCD has not exceeded plasma in any benchmark, show me one.

Last review I saw of the top of the line Samsung LED LCD showed it at 650 lines of motion resolution; the Kuro plasma is 900 lines. Huge difference.

OLED is too far off in the future to even be talking about it. Hell your talking to the person who started the 1st OLED discussion on here many moons ago. I'm all about it, but it's not where near current.

Laser? Do you mean the Mitsubishi DLP tvs that use lasers for backlight? Ya, they could be good; out in Europe already but I haven't seen a US review yet.

But now your stepping back to RPTV technology, seems like a backwards thing for you to say since you claim plasma is dead.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:04 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SiGGy
*sigh*

LED LCD has not exceeded plasma in any benchmark, show me one.

Last review I saw of the top of the line Samsung LED LCD showed it at 500 lines of motion resolution; the Kuro plasma is 900 lines. Huge difference.

OLED is too far off in the future to even be talking about it. Hell your talking to the person who started the 1st OLED discussion on here many moons ago.

Laser? Do you mean the Mitsubishi DLP tvs that use lasers for backlight? Ya, they could be good; out in Europe already but I haven't seen a US review yet.

But now your stepping back to RPTV technology, seems like a backwards thing for you to say since you claim plasma is dead.
Just because I mentioned technologies, such as laser, doesnt mean I support them. Just listing what is new on the horizon.

OLED is far away, but the little 11" version I saw was mind blowing...granted a smaller screen such as that that "trick" you.

I dont care about what benchmarks say. Again, I trust my eyes, and I saw both TVs side by side. Its still photographers who are pixel counters. In the end it never does them any good.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

p.s.

I don't own a plasma

Old 11-25-2008 | 02:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just because I mentioned technologies, such as laser, doesnt mean I support them. Just listing what is new on the horizon.

OLED is far away, but the little 11" version I saw was mind blowing...granted a smaller screen such as that that "trick" you.

I dont care about what benchmarks say. Again, I trust my eyes, and I saw both TVs side by side. Its still photographers who are pixel counters. In the end it never does them any good.
Seeing as how most men are color blind and not adept to seeing motion clearly you have to use benchmarks to compare which is better sometimes. Benchmarks exist to compare things on even ground using calibrated standard testing equipment. Without them it's all just guessing/personal preference...

In the end it's what *you* (or whoever) sees and likes that's important. Since were not all built the same it's entirely possible someone could easily prefer one technology over the other... Luckily with TVs you don't have to factor in environment changes; sea level, ambient temperature, track prep... The numbers are the numbers in TV land.

But like drag racing, I use benchmarks to compare performance; actual 1/4 mile times, 0-60, benchmarks done by independent 3rd parties. Not what the magazines or manufacturers who have an agenda have to claim.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:47 PM
The Third Ball

In the end it's what *you* (or whoever) sees and likes that's important. Since were not all built the same it's entirely possible someone could easily prefer one technology over the other...
Isn't this what I've said before. Will you just shut up now, and lets get a beer.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Isn't this what I've said before. Will you just shut up now, and lets get a beer.

I'll shut my trap once you stop saying today's LCDs are equal to an Elite Kuro and stick LCD in it's appropriate puberty growing phase category; i.e. it not being more mature technology like Plasma is

I just don't like people posting misleading personal opinions about technology stated as fact. The fact is Plasma's still holds the crown for best picture in many categories; proven by the benchmark reviews by professionals, not opinions by other LCD owners....

So perhaps it's not me that should "just shut up now" (sorry couldn't resist; I'm buggin out)

hehe

Old 11-25-2008 | 03:36 PM
The Third Ball

I wont concede :P

Samsung 950 is as good as the Kuro.

Old 11-25-2008 | 04:41 PM

am i too late for the ?
Old 11-25-2008 | 05:07 PM
I have Lucy tied up in

I'll shut my trap once you stop saying today's LCDs are equal to an Elite Kuro and stick LCD in it's appropriate puberty growing phase category; i.e. it not being more mature technology like Plasma is

I just don't like people posting misleading personal opinions about technology stated as fact. The fact is Plasma's still holds the crown for best picture in many categories; proven by the benchmark reviews by professionals, not opinions by other LCD owners....

So perhaps it's not me that should "just shut up now" (sorry couldn't resist; I'm buggin out)

hehe

Finally someone speaking some sense in this thread....
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

not to start the debates again, but how do DLPs rank?
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance
not to start the debates again, but how do DLPs rank?
:thumbsdow

That's just me though.

I hate the unbelievably small viewing angle, and I don't feel like they have as good as picture.

I couldn't say for sure though since I haven't even put enough interest in them to research.
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:42 PM
The Third Ball

LED DLPS have a great image.

I'm just over having the size.
Old 11-26-2008 | 07:59 AM
Team Owner

watching a Samsung 950 right next to a elite kuro off the same HD feed. I could care less what pixel counters say.

The contrast, the image quality, blacks. They were both there on both sets. The quality was identical. I was with two other cameramen who had the same exact feelings. One of which bought the slightly older 850 model.

I never said CRT has been surpassed. We still use them in the field combined with LCDS.

And I think a cheaper LCD is better than a cheaper plasma. I could care less about the viewing angle. Cheap plasmas are noisy, artifact. color band. Cheap plasmas look like utter shit to me. At least a cheap LCD can squeek by with a passable image.

Again this is all subjective. And I only trust me what my eyes tell me. Much like the rest of you do.
Were both of the TV's professionally calibrated or were they in a store that you saw them?
Old 11-26-2008 | 09:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

LED DLPS have a great image.

I'm just over having the size.

Don't forget to look up Mistubishi's new laser (DLP) driven set. It supposedly has the best color gamut available of *ANY* TV in production today. By a large margin. This will give you an amazing picture if done properly.

And umm wait for it to get cheaper. Last thing I read it was somewhere near $7k (MSRP). I assume they are trying to recoup some R&D costs, but I personally think it's a huge pricing mistake with all of the flat panels out there that keep dropping in price.

On a positive note, they'll be no burn in. Hardly any light loss from the laser(s) (red,green,blue) over their lifespans and killer color reproduction/clarity.

It has a lot of things going for it; but pricing it in the upper high-end echelon price range was probably a mistake.

Here's a good review of it from a professional calibrator.

Originally Posted by HDGURU
For $7000 retail price, the L65-A90’s will treat you to a level of performance that exceeds any display I have tested to date in terms color gamut, brightness and low power consumption. In addition, its black levels were as deep as the darkest display previously reviewed. Complimenting the TV’s black level is its ability to resolve dark detail and not bury it (into black) as some other displays do.
http://hdguru.com/mitsubishi-laservu...exclusive/310/
Old 11-26-2008 | 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

And umm wait for it to get cheaper. Last thing I read it was somewhere near $7k (MSRP). I assume they are trying to recoup some R&D costs, but I personally think it's a huge pricing mistake with all of the flat panels out there that keep dropping in price.

Old 11-27-2008 | 05:22 PM
Registered Big Dog

wow we really went there didnt we, the whole plasma v. lcd battle....

now i'm more torn then ever, should i stick with this tv or get a different one? talk to me people i'm still in the 30 day return period
Old 11-29-2008 | 03:18 AM
I shoot people

so, what happen? did you get a new TV? I saw you online (360 Live) recently, I'm thinking you got a new TV? if so, what did you get?

***btw, another vote for Sammy LCD
Old 11-29-2008 | 10:05 AM
Registered Big Dog

46" sammy 650
Old 12-01-2008 | 10:08 AM
Team Owner

If you like it after being somewhat calibrated then just keep it. Does it meet your movie/gaming/viewing expectations?
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:44 AM
Registered Big Dog

I was pokin around BB and found my tv for $205 cheaper (1599), got a price match refund and bought a warrenty with the $extra $
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:45 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?