HDTV setup help

Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV setup help

I just got that 55" Sony Wega from Best Buy last week and I can't figure out how to get the HD channels to display in HD I've got everything set up working perfectly with this thing (cable box, home theater, DVD player, Playstation 2, my computer); it's just this one damn thing I can't figure out.
I used the component cables that came with the cable box (YPbPr) and I have the TV set up to automatically to detect the HD channels, but the channels aren't coming in in high def. If I pull the cables out there's no change in picture quality at all. I thought about getting a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the box to the TV, but that shit costs $75 at Best Buy
I'm thinking either the component cables I received are defective (but probably not) or that I have a setting messed up. There is no settings I can change on the cable box and I looked though the TV manual for another option. Anyone have an idea what could be the problem? The installers are coming on the 28th (free with purchase), but I kinda wanted to get this working now.

thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Well I will take a stab before it is moved to the home theater section. If you pulled the cables out and you still have a picture then you are on the wrong input on the tv. You do not need to have coax plugged into from the box to the tv at all. On your remote, press the tv/video or input button until you are on one of the component inputs. If you can see around the back, just take a look at what input the component wires are plugged into, it will be labeled.

edit: I wasn't quick enough. The topic was moved while I was typing. Let me know if this works. If not we will work on it from there.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You're kind of mixing two different things. The component cables from the cable box will only display HDTV from HD channels on the cable box. Your "auto detect" is for when you have an antenae (or you cable's coax cable) connected directly to your TV.

and :ibmovedtoHT&E:
Old 12-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Does the tv have a built in HD tuner?

if not, there's your first problem.

if it does, then I'm not sure what to do next really. Is there a separate input on the back of the TV for HD signal (ie from an antenna)

Just because you hook something up with Component cables doesn't mean it's HD.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
You're kind of mixing two different things. The component cables from the cable box will only display HDTV from HD channels on the cable box. Your "auto detect" is for when you have an antenae (or you cable's coax cable) connected directly to your TV.

and :ibmovedtoHT&E:
Old 12-20-2006, 07:03 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
edit: I wasn't quick enough. The topic was moved while I was typing. Let me know if this works. If not we will work on it from there.
I knew it was gonna get moved. I didn't think anyone ever came in here though

On your remote, press the tv/video or input button until you are on one of the component inputs. If you can see around the back, just take a look at what input the component wires are plugged into, it will be labeled.
I guess that was it. I think I scrolled through all the inputs before I had the cable box hooked up. It's no where near as awesome as it looked in the store, but I can definitely see the difference now.

Thanks for your help and everyone else that chimed in...I feel stupid since that was so simple.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Check your channel list for the cable and tune to the HD channels. For example, there is an ESPN SD and ESPN HD.

Autodetection is only for OTA (Over The Air) broadcasting. Do you have an antenna hooked up? If not, don't worry about the option.

I would recommend getting rid of the component cables and invest in an HDMI cable. Does your cable box support HDMI? Just pick up an HDMI cable from here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10240&style=
Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Scrib
Check your channel list for the cable and tune to the HD channels. For example, there is an ESPN SD and ESPN HD.

Autodetection is only for OTA (Over The Air) broadcasting. Do you have an antenna hooked up? If not, don't worry about the option.

I would recommend getting rid of the component cables and invest in an HDMI cable. Does your cable box support HDMI? Just pick up an HDMI cable from here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10240&style=
While you may see a difference from doing this, you will not see as big a difference as going from Standard Definition to High Definition. It is a good idea though and even if only slightly, it will clear up the image some. I am waiting for mine that I bought from monoprice to be delivered. I just got my plasma yesterday and want to see the difference myself.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EnJ
I knew it was gonna get moved. I didn't think anyone ever came in here though

I guess that was it. I think I scrolled through all the inputs before I had the cable box hooked up. It's no where near as awesome as it looked in the store, but I can definitely see the difference now.

Thanks for your help and everyone else that chimed in...I feel stupid since that was so simple.
Your welcome. It's what I do so I see instances like this all time. Don't sweat it, it happens. The sony tv's have a lot of inputs, the new ones having 8 or 9, so there are quite a few to skip through. It's pretty easy to skip one accidentily. That's probably what happened. You can go into your menu if you like, and label your inputs. While doing this you can skip all the inputs except the antenna that you are not using. Will make it easier to navigate if you have multiple devices hooked up to different inputs.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

While you may see a difference from doing this, you will not see as big a difference as going from Standard Definition to High Definition. It is a good idea though and even if only slightly, it will clear up the image some. I am waiting for mine that I bought from monoprice to be delivered. I just got my plasma yesterday and want to see the difference myself.
I was also going on the assumption he was using the TV speakers. Reduce another set of wires.

But I agree...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

I had the right channels tuned in, just didn't have the right input selected on the TV.

I'll check that web site out. I noticed in my manual that HDMI was best, then DVI, then the component cables. My box has a DVI output and my TV has an HDMI input. I found the DVI to HDMI cable at Best Buy for $75; I just don't want to pay that much for it. At least not right now with my Christmas bills. Is the difference that noticeable, or noticeable enough to spend the money for this cable?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EnJ
I had the right channels tuned in, just didn't have the right input selected on the TV.

I'll check that web site out. I noticed in my manual that HDMI was best, then DVI, then the component cables. My box has a DVI output and my TV has an HDMI input. I found the DVI to HDMI cable at Best Buy for $75; I just don't want to pay that much for it. At least not right now with my Christmas bills. Is the difference that noticeable, or noticeable enough to spend the money for this cable?
DO NOT buy any cables at any local stores. Go to monoprice.com as mentioned. Their cables are of the same exact quality, for about 1/10th of the price. It is the site of choice of most enthusiasts and pro's even. Also, HDMI and DVI will give you the same quality picture. The only difference between the two is that HDMI will carry a digital audio signal as well, while DVI carries only video.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is an example of the cost of the cables at monoprice. This is one of the DVI to HDMI cables you can get there:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by EnJ
It's no where near as awesome as it looked in the store, but I can definitely see the difference now.
That's b/c the next thing you need to do is tweak the settings on the set. The out of the box settings are terrible.

Spend some time over on www.avsforums.com and search for your TV. You should find some recommended settings that you can use as a starting point... then from there tweak it to the way you want
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Here is an example of the cost of the cables at monoprice. This is one of the DVI to HDMI cables you can get there:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
That's insane! I think I can swing $16 to upgrade the cable Have you seen the difference in picture quality between that cable and the component cables? I'm just wondering what to expect.

Thanks again. You've been a big help.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

As JB said, if you haven't touched the settings you need to do so. Sony sets their default settings to VIVID and it looks like shit. You need to do a custom setting and get rid of the VIVID.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Originally Posted by juniorbean
That's b/c the next thing you need to do is tweak the settings on the set. The out of the box settings are terrible.

Spend some time over on www.avsforums.com and search for your TV. You should find some recommended settings that you can use as a starting point... then from there tweak it to the way you want
Yeah, I saw that link in another thread on here. I was gonna post my question over there too, but you guys were quick with the answers. I'll check it out.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Under the radar

Okay can I add my problem to the list?
"I just got a Sammy 4095D and I am trying to hook it up to an H.K. AVR340 and a H.K. DVD-37. Since the AVR340 has no HDMI can I get sound from DVDs and the AVR340 using HDMI directly to the TV and the optical cable? All I am getting is sound from the crappy TV speakers. Yes, stamp me as Noob. It's been a bear making all the remotes work too but I will save that for another time."
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLSter
"I just got a Sammy 4095D and I am trying to hook it up to an H.K. AVR340 and a H.K. DVD-37. Since the AVR340 has no HDMI can I get sound from DVDs and the AVR340 using HDMI directly to the TV and the optical cable? All I am getting is sound from the crappy TV speakers. Yes, stamp me as Noob. It's been a bear making all the remotes work too but I will save that for another time."
You can run both audio sources out of the dvd player. Run an optical to the receiver, and the hdmi to the tv. The remote that comes with the AVR340 is programmable. You have to hold down the mute button while holding down the desired source button until the orange (or yellow) light blinks. Then you enter in the 3 digit code (look in the manual for the code list). Also, make sure you punch the volume through. This is so when you press say video 2 for cable, and then you press the volume up or down button it will still control the stereo volume. To do this, press mute and the source button (say video 2 again for cable), until the orange light blinks. Then press volume up, and then avr. Repeat this step for each source you use.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I also just thought about something. You also will have to assign the digital inputs. I believe dvd is set to digital coax by default on the AVR340, if memory serves correctly. If you do not know how, I can help you with that too.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Terigan...

Here is what you need...

1x HDMI-HDMI Cable for DVD to TV
1x Digital Optical Cable for DVD to Receiver

Assuming you have a Digital Cable-Box

1x DVI/HDMI-HDMI Cable for C-box to TV
1x Digital Optical Cable for C-Box to TV
Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by furious1smitul
Here is what you need...

Assuming you have a Digital Cable-Box

1x DVI/HDMI-HDMI Cable for C-box to TV
1x Digital Optical Cable for C-Box to TV
Thats all dependent on the particular cable box. Not all cable HD cable boxes have DVI or HDMI. Also, not all have optical. MOST will have at least a digital coax though.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Under the radar

I get DirecTV in January - this is just to get DVDs running with my room speaker system. I am using the VCR for now (I really really can't wait for DTV). The DVD37 has a crappy menu for switching stuff around but I think I remember having to change cables to make it work. I was stupid and put the optical from the TV to the Receiver, I will switch it to DVD to Receiver.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I get DirecTV in January - this is just to get DVDs running with my room speaker system. I am using the VCR for now (I really really can't wait for DTV). The DVD37 has a crappy menu for switching stuff around but I think I remember having to change cables to make it work. I was stupid and put the optical from the TV to the Receiver, I will switch it to DVD to Receiver.
With the dvd37, you have to plug in a composite cable (yellow for video) in order to get into the menu and enable either component of HDMI. It is a pain in the ass actually. They first started doing that on the DVD27 I believe. I was standing on top of a chair in a closet where the equipment was on a shelf, so I could check the wiring cause I was not getting any video at all. I figured it out after moving all the crap to get behind there. I was not happy.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Under the radar

With the dvd37, you have to plug in a composite cable (yellow for video) in order to get into the menu and enable either component of HDMI. It is a pain in the ass actually. They first started doing that on the DVD27 I believe. I was standing on top of a chair in a closet where the equipment was on a shelf, so I could check the wiring cause I was not getting any video at all. I figured it out after moving all the crap to get behind there. I was not happy.
I am really not that happy with this DVD player - half tempted to sell it and get an Oppo. If I am using the optical cable/HDMI combo is that the same as HDMI to the DVD37?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I am really not that happy with this DVD player - half tempted to sell it and get an Oppo. If I am using the optical cable/HDMI combo is that the same as HDMI to the DVD37?
Not sure exactly what you mean here. The HDMI cable will carry both a digital audio and video signal. So you can run this cable straight from the dvd to the tv. At the same time, you can take an optical cable and run it from the dvd player to the receiver so you can have digital surround sound coming from your receiver.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is sort of related. I've had hi-def for a couple years now (before digital connections, so I have component) and my Sony DirecTV box lets me choose whether to send a 480p, 720p, or 1080i signal to the tv no matter what resolution is being broadcast or it will automatically select the broadcast resolution and send it to the tv (but converts 480i to 480p). Do cable boxes give you the same choices, or do they only convert all signals to a specific resolution? (like converting all signals to 1080i, for example)
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Type Sun
Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is sort of related. I've had hi-def for a couple years now (before digital connections, so I have component) and my Sony DirecTV box lets me choose whether to send a 480p, 720p, or 1080i signal to the tv no matter what resolution is being broadcast or it will automatically select the broadcast resolution and send it to the tv (but converts 480i to 480p). Do cable boxes give you the same choices, or do they only convert all signals to a specific resolution? (like converting all signals to 1080i, for example)
The new DTV HD DVR (HR20) will do native resolution scanning or it'll allow you to select only 1080i, for example. I believe the non-DVR HD box (H20) does this too...

My Dad has Comcast cable and that box only allows for you to select one resolution and stick with it.