do I have enough power?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
do I have enough power?

I am in the process of upgrading my HT setup. I have ordered new Definitive Technology speakers. They will be mounted on the wall next to my Sammy 650 55".
This is what I got:
http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...d=Mythos%20Two

this center channel
http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...Mythos%20Three

this sub
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/RPS-1...ofer-P398.aspx

my rear speakers (for right now) are 2 of these mounted in the ceiling behind my couch
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...=53CW0110AA000

My current receiver is the Denon AVR590 with 75 watts per channel. I am using a Onkyo 5.1 speaker system that is a few years old. They resemble larger bookshelf speakers with a sub and center.

When I watch movies it just doesn't seem loud enough. When watching tv through my direct tv dvr it is really loud. But when I put in a Blu Ray I can crank it up all the way. It is loud but not loud enough. The volume goes up to 99 and I watch movies in the 80's easily.

If I get a more powerful receiver, say 120 watts, would it make that much of a difference over 75 watts that I have now? I'm going to wait until I get my new speakers before I decide but I want a little more oomph without turning my receiver up so high.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The Denon should be fine for those. The reason you're probably getting low sound watching movies is the output from the player is too low. Check the settings to see if there's an adjustment. Also, make sure you're not using a "Phono" input. You shouldn't be, you should be using digital connections for the Blu Ray player and DVR.

Another thing to check may be the settings on the receiver itself. I'm not real familiar with the 590, but my 2809ci stores separate settings for each input, excpet for the Audyssey information. I think that's standard across most of the Denon line.

The Def Techs have a high enough sensitivity that you should be able to get good, loud sound out of them from the Denon.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
I'll have to check the output from the Sammy Blu Ray. It is connected via HDMI. I'll also check out the receiver manual. I did the set up using Audessey but i'll have to go through it all again and i'll also ask the store when I pick up the speakers. They are a Denon dealer. Thanks for the heads up. It just feels like I "need" a better receiver since my receiver was less $ than one of my speakers.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
If the Blu Ray player is connected via HDMI then you're fine. I didn't know if you were using the analong inputs for some reason. Is the DVR connected the same way? Something else to check is the Audyssey Dynamic Volume. I have it disabled on all inputs because it seems to bring the volume down.

Upon further inspection, it appears that the 590 doesn't have a phono input so don't bother checking for it. Most manufacturers seem to be doing away with it in all but their top end models. Guess they figure people don't listen to vinyl anymore.

I'd go ahead and get the speakers and hook them up and go from there. Don't forget to run Audyssey again once you get them hooked up or they will most likely sound like total garbage. If you still feel that the Denon isn't doing it for you, then you may want to start exploring other options, but I think you'll find it sufficient.