Damaged Subwoofer - Advice Needed

Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Damaged Subwoofer - Advice Needed

I purchased a Wharfedale SW-150 subwoofer on e-bay. The sub was used for display purposes and was packaged in the original packaging. This sub retails for $499 and I paid $400. The package was send FedEx insured. Fedex delivered it a couple of days ago and left it on my front porch. The box was in poor shape and the sub was damaged when I opened it. Here are some pics of the damage:

As you can see, one corner has been smashed in and another corner has a split seam. On the split seam side the split extends about 6 inches (half way) up the side of the woofer box. The side panel flexes away from the front panel (slightly) when I pull on it with my finger. I tested the the sub's speaker level inputs and LFE inputs and it seems to work fine. The cone is fine and the sub appears to sound OK. At high output levels there is a slight buzzing from the lower section (can't tell if its the cone or the box). My furniture and windows buzz louder than this buzzing sound though. I can't tell if there is any air coming from the seam. The sub is vented on the bottom so when I place my hand near the seam I feel the air moving through the vent.

FedEx is giving the sender a hard time with the claim. They are claiming that the sub wasn't packaged properly. The sender is offering to work with me on the price of the sub if I was to keep it rather than sending it back. So, the questions are:
1. Any other ways I could test the sub to see if there is anything else wrong?
2. Considering the cost of the sub, what do you think is a fair price for a sub with this king of damage?
3. Should I even consider keeping it (with a credit from the seller) or should I just send it back and look for another one?
Sorry for the long post. Any advice/opinions are appreciated.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,194 Posts
If I were to keep it, I think that smash is worth at least $100 if not $200. The problem is that its the front of the unit and will be visible in the room.

Personally I would just send it back and too bad for the seller for not packing it properly. You did your part by paying extra for the insurance.

The only problem is its going to cost some coin to send it back.

Is this ebay seller a real dealer of this speaker or just some person?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Is this ebay seller a real dealer of this speaker or just some person?
Not sure. I think its just a person but it seems like all he sells is Wharfedale. I previously purchased a Wharfedale center channel speaker from the same seller and had no problems with the shipment.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,194 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Not sure. I think its just a person but it seems like all he sells is Wharfedale. I previously purchased a Wharfedale center channel speaker from the same seller and had no problems with the shipment.
I would just see if he can send you another one then.